They were overwhelmed by the occasion

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
They were overwhelmed by the occasion

Post by Scipio Africanus »

They saved their worst game for the final. Anyway they did well.

Wha choo looking at?!
theDunamis
Egg
Egg
Re: They were overwhelmed by the occasion

Post by theDunamis »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:52 pm They saved their worst game for the final. Anyway they did well.

I agree. They gained experience and I salute them for what they accomplished in this tournament.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:52 pm They saved their worst game for the final. Anyway they did well.
No they were not overwhelmed.

They were poorly coached by a COWARD.

I was telling you all through the tournament, but you all insulted me and kept your heads in the sand.

343 is RUBBISH, COWARDLY football.

What did you expect.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

theDunamis wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:54 pm

I agree. They gained experience and I salute them for what they accomplished in this tournament.

What happened to Musa’s leadership?
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

packerland wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:02 am
theDunamis wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:54 pm

What happened to Musa’s leadership?
silver lining :rotf:
It would have been unfair, if Musa lifted that trophy!
Penarity
Egg
Egg

Post by Penarity »

The players were not overwhelmed in any way. They played to instructions. Poor instructions.

Truth be told, the boys are good... they just need the right coach!
There is nothing to learn from someone who already agrees with you.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:57 pm

I was telling you all through the tournament, but you all insulted me and kept your heads in the sand.

What did you expect.
Why aren't you coaching the team instead of "telling us so" on a football forum

You had all this talent and you chose to keep it to yourself, what an unfortunate waste eh
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:57 pm

What did you expect.
Agree that Peserio is a COWARD. I don't blame a single player
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

They partied too much after the semifinal win. :)
They finally came across a team that figured them out. They had an easy path to the final. Had they met a team that could do the obvious to stop them, maybe they would have had time to adjust and grow.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Kabalega wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:16 am
They finally came across a team that figured them out. They had an easy path to the final. Had they met a team that could do the obvious to stop them, maybe they would have had time to adjust and grow.
They didn't have an easy path to the final. They beat Cameroon and South Africa. They lost because of a cowardly coach. But we congratulate Ivory Coast
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

which easy path?
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:25 am
They didn't have an easy path to the final. They beat Cameroon and South Africa. They lost because of a cowardly coach. But we congratulate Ivory Coast
Cameroon was a bad team at AFCON. It is easy to neutralize Nigeria’s main plan A, if you neutralized their key players. Plan B was never really tested because you don’t want to change what is working.

S. Africa tried but didn’t really get the job done. CIV was the first team to get the job done and won in 90 minutes plus a token extra time.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Kabalega wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:46 am
Cameroon was a bad team at AFCON. It is easy to neutralize Nigeria’s main plan A, if you neutralized their key players. Plan B was never really tested because you don’t want to change what is working.

S. Africa tried but didn’t really get the job done. CIV was the first team to get the job done and won in 90 minutes plus a token extra time.
Unless you are trolling, you can't say that a team that beat Cameroon and South Africa had am easy path
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

No they were not overwhelmed, they were simply outcoached. Even in the semi-finals against South Africa the signs were there.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Its was the midfield and it Iwobi was short one. Shot on goal and he turned sideways when others will use their head to parry the ball.in a final. Some of them were not committed enough or low on talent/skills.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

azuka wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:27 pm
No they were not overwhelmed, they were simply outcoached. Even in the semi-finals against South Africa the signs were there.
The players are not robots. Something about their energy levels and motivation was off yesterday. I stick to my belief that the occasion was too much for them.

Wha choo looking at?!
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:57 am
Kabalega wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:46 am

Unless you are trolling, you can't say that a team that beat Cameroon and South Africa had am easy path
It’s all relative. So, let me rephrase my earlier post. Nigeria Eagles had an easier path to the final than CIV. They were never seriously tested until maybe the S. Africa game. And even then the S. Africans failed to implement one or two key elements to neutralize Nigeria. Before that game, both teams were very defensive so a low scoring draw was expected.

Having an easier path is a known problem in big tournaments, especially at the World Cup. The World Cup history is littered with many talented teams that were not tested early, and struggled at the end.

A good example are the S. Americans. If a S. American team has it easy during qualification or/and early at the World Cup, they usually fail. Some spectacularly. On the flip side, teams that struggle to qualify tend to do better.
Rght now, Brazil is struggling to qualify for the next World Cup. I would not bet against them if they qualify. Remember 1994?
Also, look at the what Argentina went through at the last World Cup.

Too many indicators were stacked against Nigeria.

BTW, there are exceptions ….
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:46 pm
The players are not robots. Something about their energy levels and motivation was off yesterday. I stick to my belief that the occasion was too much for them.
Sorry sir I beg to disagree. If you watched the match against South Africa you would have noticed what I am talking about. The Ivory Coach simply borrowed a page from the SA coach and modified it.
kash n' karry
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kash n' karry »

:evil: :twisted:
They simply got juju-fied {jinxed the African way}, the boys eyes will be wide open today Ooo :blink: , asking and wondering what happened to them for 2hrs yesterday evening .. !! :mrgreen:
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Absolutely, a bad day at the office at the worst time for it to happen.

They did very well and made me proud.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

They were physically tired. They run and run and absorbed so much pressure.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Exactly!!!
Very, very obvious.
Aina and Bassey who were being exalted here as ‘beasts’ in earlier games were virtually like walking dead yesterday.
Our Osimhen looked exhausted.
If I was a conspiracy theorist I’d have suspected traces of Rohypnol slipped in their water.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Damunk wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:58 pm
Exactly!!!
Very, very obvious.
Aina and Bassey who were being exalted here as ‘beasts’ in earlier games were virtually like walking dead yesterday.
Our Osimhen looked exhausted.
If I was a conspiracy theorist I’d have suspected traces of Rohypnol slipped in their water.
At this point I don't put anything past anyone. The boys should all be tested for that stuff quickly before it goes through their system.

Wha choo looking at?!