SAY NO to AMAJU & FOREIGN COACHES, WE have LEGIONS OF PRO EX-PLAYERS !!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: SAY NO to AMAJU & FOREIGN COACHES, WE have LEGIONS OF PRO EX-PLAYERS !!

Post by Lolly »

The last coaches who failed to qualify us for AFCON were Nigerians. The last coaches who have failed to qualify for us Youth World tournaments and Olympics were Nigerians.

So having a Nigerian coach does not guarantee success. And I am fairly certain that the names being banded about would fail. They have nothing on their CV to justify the noise. Absolutely nothing.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Bell wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:20 am
kash n' karry wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:37 am :evil: :twisted:
At this stage. its time to say no to foreign coaches except they have a recent proven track record in 3 departments of the game
1. Defense {compact}, 2. Mid-field {attacking style), 3 Offense {coordination}

At this stage... i want our attacking-possessive soccer style back asap AND I specifically want the NFF to fire
Peseiro immediately and replace him with the combo of Siasia + Amunike.... !!

NFF ...PLEEEAAAAAAZZZEE SWALLOW YA PRIDE and HIRE THESE 2 GUYS !!
========================================================
Chance favors da prepared mind...ALWAYS !!
THE ONLY REASON NEEDED IS THAT...

...Nigeria badly needs a Nigerian. That's all, anything else being superfluous. What an embarassment to have a foreigner roaming the sidelines before the world to confirm that Nigerians have no self-confidence, pride or ability to develop homegrown coaches. What has the country achieved with all these FC's? Can't they see how Senegal and now CIV have won it all using their own coaches while sending FC's packing? Other countries with local coaches may not have made it to the later stages but you can see the quality of their teams. But Nigeria must have its FC. You'd expect it to be showing the continent the way forward instead it is perpetuating an attitude of dependency. Shame on the NFF and shame on those who suport FC's.
Bell
Nigeria badly needs competent coaching, a competent governing body and a competent football league.
Don’t want to sound all British but look at how proper planning and organization revolutionized the English
set up with Saint George’s park and a commitment to the national team and building excellence.

All the hue and cry about how too many foreigners in the EPL suddenly died as a focused England started
producing a new generation of ballers who can compete with anyone in the world. Suddenly England became a force in major tournaments after previously blaming foreign coaches and players.

Nah, Nigeria needs to set concrete plans for its football future, reorganize and find funding for its local league, create an equivalent to St. George’s park or Clairefontaine, and install a competent executive with a clear vision, and with strong backing from the government to realize its goals.
You could bring in Pep or Klopp, Finidi or Emenalo, but until the foundation is ripped up, rebuilt and rebranded, the same problems will still exist decades from now.

The easy argument is always to blame the outsiders. It’s an accusation and not a solution.
Sorry just my opinion.

The change in English mindset has produced a roster that has this level of talent.
I’m sure I missed some but this isn’t too shabby and they are still very young.

Forwards:

Kane, Rashford, Saka, Toney, Grealish, Bowen, Watkins, Palmer

Midfield: Bellingham, Rice, Philips, Trent, Foden, Madison

Defenders: Walker, Stones, Guehi, Tomori, Shaw, Colwill, James, Trippier,

Keepers: Ramsdale, Pope, Pickford.

The vast majority of these players came aboard in the last five years and they’ve changed the face of the England national team. It didn’t come over night, or by accident or wishful thinking.
Competence and proper goal oriented planning have brought this about.
And it’s still a work in progress.
So again, until Nigeria rips up the existing foundation and framework, we will be here for decades to come, blaming foreigners, foreign born players and all the usual nonsense, when the actual issue is right before our eyes.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sleaky72 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:51 am
Nigeria badly needs competent coaching, a competent governing body and a competent football league.
Don’t want to sound all British but look at how proper planning and organization revolutionized the English
set up with Saint George’s park and a commitment to the national team and building excellence.

All the hue and cry about how too many foreigners in the EPL suddenly died as a focused England started
producing a new generation of ballers who can compete with anyone in the world. Suddenly England became a force in major tournaments after previously blaming foreign coaches and players.

Nah, Nigeria needs to set concrete plans for its football future, reorganize and find funding for its local league, create an equivalent to St. George’s park or Clairefontaine, and install a competent executive with a clear vision, and with strong backing from the government to realize its goals.
You could bring in Pep or Klopp, Finidi or Emenalo, but until the foundation is ripped up, rebuilt and rebranded, the same problems will still exist decades from now.

The easy argument is always to blame the outsiders. It’s an accusation and not a solution.
Sorry just my opinion.

The change in English mindset has produced a roster that has this level of talent.

Forwards:

The vast majority of these players came aboard in the last five years and they’ve changed the face of the England national team. It didn’t come over night, or by accident or wishful thinking.
So again, until Nigeria rips up the existing foundation and framework, we will be here for decades to come, blaming foreigners, foreign born players and all the usual nonsense, when the actual issue is right before our eyes.
Well said Sleaky.
I remember the uproar when back in the early 2000s, Chelsea fielded the first all-foreign EPL team. All hell broke loose in the papers and FANDOM.
Then there was the Arsenal team with nine black players in the starting eleven, including Kanu, that again really upset the masses. Blame the ‘foreigners’ again, even though most were black British-born.

Well, the authorities kept their heads, didn’t ban foreigners, didnt set up quotas. They recognized where the problems were and slowly set up reforms.

‘Equal playing field’ does not mean keeping out a better player/coach to satisfy a local quota.
Nigerian players are already compromised anyway due to their poor working environment.
It’s not their fault.
But nobody is going to remember all that sentiment when Mexico or Portugal whoop us 4-0 at the World Cup.

Isn’t it strange that the only four SE players that have between made the various publicized AFCON Teams of the Tournament are, ahem…. ‘foreigners’:
Ekong
Aina
Bassey
Lookman.

Funny, innit? :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:45 am The last coaches who failed to qualify us for AFCON were Nigerians. The last coaches who have failed to qualify for us Youth World tournaments and Olympics were Nigerians.

So having a Nigerian coach does not guarantee success. And I am fairly certain that the names being banded about would fail. They have nothing on their CV to justify the noise. Absolutely nothing.
It doesn't guarantee success but they should have equal opportunity both in the recruitment process, remuneration and treatment if they get the job. That is all that many of us ask for.
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Damunk wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:54 am

Sorry just my opinion.

Forwards:

Well said Sleaky.
I remember the uproar when back in the early 2000s, Chelsea fielded the first all-foreign EPL team. All hell broke loose in the papers and FANDOM.
Then there was the Arsenal team with nine black players in the starting eleven, including Kanu, that again really upset the masses. Blame the ‘foreigners’ again, even though most were black British-born.

Well, the authorities kept their heads, didn’t ban foreigners, didnt set up quotas. They recognized where the problems were and slowly set up reforms.

‘Equal playing field’ does not mean keeping out a better player/coach to satisfy a local quota.
Nigerian players are already compromised anyway due to their poor working environment.
It’s not their fault.
But nobody is going to remember all that sentiment when Mexico or Portugal whoop us 4-0 at the World Cup.

Isn’t it strange that the only four SE players that have between made the various publicized AFCON Teams of the Tournament are, ahem…. ‘foreigners’:
Ekong
Aina
Bassey
Lookman.

Well said doctor.
Maybe it’s a personal thing with me.
It always irks me when people go with the finger pointing and the excuse making for not taking the time to what’s right when a problem exists.

The xenophobic, “it’s those people” argument is such a weak cop out and it irritates the hell outta me.
And just to reiterate, I believe that if Nigeria does an honest and competent restructure, they should appoint the best fit and qualified person for the job regardless of race or ethnicity … but if the foundation and systems of operation are rotten then it doesn’t matter who you appoint.
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Ekong
Aina
Bassey
Lookman.

Lol you’re a fire starter I see :rotf:
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

aruako1 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:09 am
Lolly wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:45 am The last coaches who failed to qualify us for AFCON were Nigerians. The last coaches who have failed to qualify for us Youth World tournaments and Olympics were Nigerians.

It doesn't guarantee success but they should have equal opportunity both in the recruitment process, remuneration and treatment if they get the job. That is all that many of us ask for.
Equal opportunity means what? To get an interview? Peseiro has more international experience than all our current probables put together, though he is a poor coach as we have seen. But you would expect him to get shortlisted before any of the local boys going by his CV. That’s why we always ask the question. What has Amuneke, Finidi or Oliseh done apart from coaching the SE and with little success?

On remuneration, Keshi got equal treatment. That has been discussed and proven.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

It is really foolish to replace a local coach with a foreign coach if they fail. If a local coach fails, get another local coach. We have to fail on our terms. We will get it right. At this age, Nigeria has no business with a foreign coach. Clearly, this shows that Nigeria is really not controlled by Nigerians themselves
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Does being indigenous guarantee coaching pedigree? The water buffalo sitting besides the obvious elephant in the room is, leadership and the willingness of those to be led by said “indigenous” individual.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

i really do not give two flying ghanamen if the coach is local or foreign, I want a coach who can influence a game on the fly, change tactics and confuse the crap out of the opposition, a solid defensive and attacking coach. A coach who dominates a game for 90 plus mins, a winning coach, someone who makes me smile seeing the SE win.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

At this stage. its time to say no to foreign coaches except they have a recent proven track record in 3 departments of the game

At this stage... i want our attacking-possessive soccer style back asap AND I specifically want the NFF to fire

kash n' karry,

Abeg, as an aside, make you change that your handle ooo! Which one be cash and carry? LOL.

Seriously, though, while I agree that Nigeria has qualified Nigerian-born managers that can handle the national team credibly, I also believe that you do not change a Manager who has been successful.

Therefore, I believe Jose Peseiro has earned the right to continue as Nigeria's Manager. Peseiro was hired to work with a Nigerian team trait has been underachieving for a period since after the last World Cup. The team was seriously struggling even at home and Gernot Rohr was correctly relieved. However, Egu did not provide the desired success and there was need to find someone to restore Nigeria to a place among Africa's best. That was the charge. Peseiro was hired to do so.

Peseiro came in and began to make several changes and I believe he continues to do so. Earlier on, seeing the array of attacking talents in Nigerian team he attempted to play attacking football using not just two strikers but attacking-minded wide midfielders and an attacking mid. Wow! But the results were underwhelming. HIs early move to make Nigeria an attacking team CLEARLY did not meet with any success as the team continued to concede regularly even against decidedly inferior opponents.

Preparing for the AFCON was the first time that the Manager had a long period of training with the team and he clearly confirmed the weaknesses in attacking football that he had attempted to play. At this AFCON, he was brave enough to change the focus to defense and suddenly Nigeria went several games without conceding. It was a remarkable feat that we had not experienced for years! That tookNigeria to the African championship game and suddenly the recent FIFA ratings has catapulted Nigeria to No.3 in Africa! When was the last time Nigeria was No. 3 in Africa?

The bottomline is that Jose Peseiro has achieved and deserves to continue in this position. I certainly do not want to return to also-rans simply because we want to play attacking football. I want trophies FIRST and not attacking football.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
kash n' karry
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kash n' karry »

...Nigeria badly needs a Nigerian. That's all, anything else being superfluous. What an embarassment to have a foreigner roaming the sidelines before the world to confirm that Nigerians have no self-confidence, pride or ability to develop homegrown coaches. What has the country achieved with all these FC's? Can't they see how Senegal and now CIV have won it all using their own coaches while sending FC's packing? Other countries with local coaches may not have made it to the later stages but you can see the quality of their teams. But Nigeria must have its FC. You'd expect it to be showing the continent the way forward instead it is perpetuating an attitude of dependency. Shame on the NFF and shame on those who suport FC's.
Bell
:evil: :twisted:
Excactly Bell... the fact we have add about 35 yrs of our players going abroad to play starting with Keshi in the late 80s ... so therefore we can employ any of our old players in the 100s who have played professional soccer abroad and use their expertise to coach our current crop of professional players. Iron sharpens iron and if we look at teams like Senegal, France, even UK they many a times employ their indigenous coaches who are privy to the style of their national teams.

Only our indigenous coach will know the style that best suits our national team, if at all we use an FC {preferrably a coach from Holland}... the NFF has to do a thorough assignment in assessing the coach in atleast these 7 areas below .. .
1. Defense, 2. Mid-field, 3. Offense, 4. Substitution/in-game management 5. Player psychology/motivation, 6. Coaching aims/goals, 7. Training regimens & team discipline
=======================================================
Chance favors da prepared mind. ALWAYS !!
kash n' karry
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kash n' karry »

highbury wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:58 pm It is really foolish to replace a local coach with a foreign coach if they fail. If a local coach fails, get another local coach. We have to fail on our terms. We will get it right. At this age, Nigeria has no business with a foreign coach. Clearly, this shows that Nigeria is really not controlled by Nigerians themselves
:evil: :twisted:
it is time for us to evolve as a soccer nation and use more of our own product... Local coaches will be cheaper for us and they will be easy to scrutize by our NFF .. .!! :mrgreen:
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Bell

Sorry just my opinion.

Forwards:

HEY, sleaky, ISN'T THAT’S A STRAWMAN?

You’re insinuating that I’m blaming foreigners for alleged woes of Nigerian soccer. Nothing in my post had me blaming foreigners for that or anything else as you can see if you go back to it. All I did in my post was ask Nigeria to believe in itself and look internally, just like Senegal and CIV, the last two AFCON winners have done, and use indigenous coaches. It is wrong as you did in a subsequent post to lump everybody together and refer to them as xenophobes.

As for England, I wouldn’t try to compare the England situation with Nigeria’s. In soccer as in many other things, England is an accomplished country and can easily find indigenous coaches if foreign coaches disappeared: Nigeria cannot. That is why some want Nigeria to work to get to the point where there are competent Nigerian coaches but then in specific instances decide if a foreign coach is appropriate.

Nigeria has been playing international soccer since the 1950’s and still does not have a cadre of competent local coaches that it can quickly call on. Don’t you see something wrong with that picture? And what sustained accomplishments have been achieved with the foreign coaches?

Let me quote you:

I happen to agree with that. So it begs the question, why bring in foreign coaches in this morass instead relying on locals as part of overall reforms?
Bell
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Bell wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:46 pm

Bell

Sorry just my opinion.

Forwards:

You’re insinuating that I’m blaming foreigners for alleged woes of Nigerian soccer. Nothing in my post had me blaming foreigners for that or anything else as you can see if you go back to it. All I did in my post was ask Nigeria to believe in itself and look internally, just like Senegal and CIV, the last two AFCON winners have done, and use indigenous coaches. It is wrong as you did in a subsequent post to lump everybody together and refer to them as xenophobes.

As for England, I wouldn’t try to compare the England situation with Nigeria’s. In soccer as in many other things, England is an accomplished country and can easily find indigenous coaches if foreign coaches disappeared: Nigeria cannot. That is why some want Nigeria to work to get to the point where there are competent Nigerian coaches but then in specific instances decide if a foreign coach is appropriate.

Nigeria has been playing international soccer since the 1950’s and still does not have a cadre of competent local coaches that it can quickly call on. Don’t you see something wrong with that picture? And what sustained accomplishments have been achieved with the foreign coaches?

Let me quote you:

I happen to agree with that. So it begs the question, why bring in foreign coaches in this morass instead relying on locals as part of overall reforms?
Bell
Chief I apologize if you took it personally but it was more of a general over arching point of a direction that I felt could be of benefit to Nigeria, and citing the English example as a reference point.
No finger pointing and I don’t see the straw man argument my friend.
All good no worries.
Just opinions
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Sleaky72 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:23 pm
Bell wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:46 pm

Bell

Sorry just my opinion.

Forwards:

Let me quote you:

Bell
Chief I apologize if you took it personally but it was more of a general over arching point of a direction that I felt could be of benefit to Nigeria, and citing the English example as a reference point.
No finger pointing and I don’t see the straw man argument my friend.
All good no worries.
Just opinions
THANK YOU. sleaky, NOTHING PERSONAL EITHER

Let the well meaning and robust debate continue. For the good of Nigerian soccer.
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:46 pm.

Of course, There is everything wrong with it.
The question is, why is it like this?
All the relevant questions have already been asked time and time again.
Nigerian coaches are not developing themselves. They are waiting for someone to come and give them a job without doing the work.
This is NOT the Nigerian spirit. Nigerians have a right to demand basic education, but beyond that, you are on your own.
Nigerians will go anywhere and endure all sorts of adverse condition to advance themselves. You have Nigerian-trained doctors cleaning toilets in the UK, USA while they prepare to pass board exams to allow them practise there. Which they invariably do.

Why do our coaches feel they should be different?
Look at what CIV’s Fae did when he stopped playing. Look at Kolo Toure. Look at Patrick Viera.
What are our own ex-internationals doing? What is anybody doing in that field?
Waiting.
A sense of entitlement.
(Sleaky), Let me quote you:

Bell
Haven’t you already answered your own question in your very same post?

I might be wrong Bell, but I believe it was you I was debating last year or year before when I pointed out the NFF Vice Chairman’s comments to us right here in a zoom meeting in which he said that Nigerian coaches are lazy and are not even taking up the higher coaching certifications available in Nigeria!

What do you think about that? That is pathetic.
Yet how come we are refusing to lay the blame on this lazy, unambitious attitude?

Was it the Nigerian Ministry of Education that pushed you or I or any of us here to develop our careers or further our education beyond graduate level? :idea:

Bottom line is, Nigerians will eat a Nigerian coach raw if he fails to produce for the SE.
Rohr’s own will be nothing compared to what they will do.
So, the best chance of surviving and keeping us happy is to build some kind of pedigree.
Finish.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:15 am

Nigerian coaches are not developing themselves. They are waiting for someone to come and give them a job without doing the work.
This is NOT the Nigerian spirit. Nigerians have a right to demand basic education, but beyond that, you are on your own.
Nigerians will go anywhere and endure all sorts of adverse condition to advance themselves. You have Nigerian-trained doctors cleaning toilets in the UK, USA while they prepare to pass board exams to allow them practise there. Which they invariably do.

Look at what CIV’s Fae did when he stopped playing. Look at Kolo Toure. Look at Patrick Viera.
Waiting.
A sense of entitlement.

Bell

I might be wrong Bell, but I believe it was you I was debating last year or year before when I pointed out the NFF Vice Chairman’s comments to us right here in a zoom meeting in which he said that Nigerian coaches are lazy and are not even taking up the higher coaching certifications available in Nigeria!

Yet how come we are refusing to lay the blame on this lazy, unambitious attitude?

Was it the Nigerian Ministry of Education that pushed you or I or any of us here to develop our careers or further our education beyond graduate level? :idea:

Bottom line is, Nigerians will eat a Nigerian coach raw if he fails to produce for the SE.
So, the best chance of surviving and keeping us happy is to build some kind of pedigree.
Finish.
The main blame for Nigeria's football failings from a fan perspective has always been the NFF. Questioning the commitment of foreign raised players and calling out poor foreign coaches does not mean that fans hold them solely responsible for the issues with Nigerian football. Eguavoen and Uzoho were savaged by the fans when we failed to qualify for the WC.

And we should just accept the NFF VP's word as gospel right? Amuneke has obtained the UEFA coaching pro licence. In addition to his stint with the U-17, he has coached in Tanzania, Sudan and Zambia. Is that lazy?

Finidi has been an assistant in Spain, he has the UEFA coaching pro licence, and he also coached Enyimba to the league title. Is that lazy

How about Ndubuisi Egbo. Is he lazy?
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Waiting.
A sense of entitlement.

Bell

Finish.
damunk, PEOPLE ARE APPOINTED TO SOLVE PROBLEMS, NOT MERELY MANAGE

Assuming the charges you've leveled against Nigerian coaches are true, the solution is not to throw the hands up. It is the responsibility of those in authority to find out why this is so and then look for solutions. They cannot expect things to be ready-made for them otherwise anybody can do the job.

Govts, institutions and individuals give scholarships and other forms of incentives where they want to see growth. When space vehicles explode on launch pads with casualties, the USA did not give up on the program - it investigated and corrected things.

Why do you assume that Nigerian coaches would fail causing a revolt by the fans. Local coaches in other African countries (Senegal, CIV...) have proved that this is not necessarily the case. And it's not like foreign coaches have neen roaring successes wherever they are. The authorities should develop credible plans and sell it to the public to show that sustainable progress is being made instead of seeing their appointments as a place for financial gain.
Bell
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

you are so out of touch, do you even know the name of the NFF chairman...my goodness :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:11 pm

Waiting.
A sense of entitlement.

Bell

Finish.
damunk, PEOPLE ARE APPOINTED TO SOLVE PROBLEMS, NOT MERELY MANAGE

Assuming the charges you've leveled against Nigerian coaches are true, the solution is not to throw the hands up. It is the responsibility of those in authority to find out why this is so and then look for solutions. They cannot expect things to be ready-made for them otherwise anybody can do the job.

Govts, institutions and individuals give scholarships and other forms of incentives where they want to see growth. When space vehicles explode on launch pads with casualties, the USA did not give up on the program - it investigated and corrected things.
So again, you are shifting the responsibility entirely away from the individuals (coaches) solely onto the NFF.
You know for a FACT that there have been “no incentives” for Nigerian coaches?
What kind of incentives? Scholarships?

I have referred you to the interview we ourselves gave to the NFF’s no 2 which you seem to totally ignore whenever you make your arguments on CE.
First it was on youth football, now it’s on coaching.

Maybe it doesn’t fit with preconceptions you have, but we won’t solve the problem by digging in our heels and not taking on board new information. Of course you can convince yourself that it’s all a bunch of lies, but that is why we worked hard to bring the NFF into our home on CE so that we could interrogate and decide for ourselves.
This was May 2021.
v. On Nigerian Coaches
Mr VP was asked specifically about the claim by Finidi George that he was being ignored for a national coaching role despite his unarguable football pedigree, his coaching licences and his experience coaching youth teams in Spain. He is also a fans’ favourite and the clamour for him to be considered has been loud and unrelenting.

The VP first clarified that Finidi had indeed been considered and invited for interview alongside several others. Unfortunately for him, the NFF decided on another candidate, also an ex-SE player. VP Akinwunmi assured everyone that he is “a great fan” of Finidi George as are most of the NFF and there was nothing personal about the NFF decision to hire someone else from a list of candidates shortlisted and interviewed for the job.

On a more general note, VP Akinwunmi said he was unhappy with the public pressure put on the NFF via the media by aspiring coaches but it was ultimately not in the best interest of the NFF to engage in public debate on all issues, accusations and inaccuracies in the public domain regarding the body.

He was also asked about the NFF’s overall view on local coaches and made it clear that it was not the NFF’s role to train Nigerian coaches but to create an enabling environment for them to thrive and practise. He believes many Nigerian coaches “are lazy” and are not proactive in improving themselves technically. He described how many coaches were practising with level ‘E’ and ‘D’ coaching licenses but level ‘C’ licences were available with only a few showing an interest in achieving that grade.

Many a time the NFF has had to go beyond their remit to sponsor coaches on courses which they should be accessing themselves.
There was often “a sense of entitlement” which did not augur well for coaching development in the country.
On its part the NFF had engaged the services of a top-flight Nigerian coaching trainer based in the USA who would be taking up office very shortly.

Finally, he was at pains to point out that despite what many might think, ex-Nigerian players had been engaged by the NFF over the years and would beg to differ on the premise that they were being ignored. He mentioned those ex-players on the NFF technical committee like Augustine Eguavon and Garba Lawal; there was Emmanuel Amuneke who took the U17 team to win the WC in 2015 as well as deputy SE Coach Joseph Yobo who has also acquired his licenses.
I know there have been others like Ikpeba, JJ Okocha and some others that have been engaged by the NFF in some kind of technical capacity

So you see, your assertion is not entirely accurate, but it’s an easy option and the easiest target of all is the NFF.
The NFF, like the Nigerian govt, has its serious shortcomings, don’t get me wrong.
No argument on that.

But what are individual Nigerians doing to overcome?
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

It's quite amusing to observe the fervor of those insisting on exclusively Nigerian coaches for our national soccer team, especially considering many of them are immigrants in Western countries, contributing their skills in various capacities. The irony is as rich as it gets. It seems acceptable for the West to provide employment opportunities, yet hiring a foreigner for our own team is met with resistance. Perhaps it's time for some of you folks to broaden your perspective and embrace diversity. Food for thought, indeed.
COOKING SPOON
Egg
Egg

Post by COOKING SPOON »

Nigerian football fans and their inability to let the past go. We won the AFCON in 1980 and for the next 14 years we won nothing whilst trying to recreate the play that was exhibited by Ilerika, Muda Lawal and Odegbami. We have spent the last 30 years crying about the outdated 442 formation and old-fashioned wing play to recreate the playing style of the mid-90s.

Eguavoen even tried to revert to the archaic 442 formation and many supported him.

It takes time to build a winning team, we are on the cusp of it, lets stick to what we have, and hopefully continuity will reap rewards.
They seek him here.
They seek him there.
Moderators seek him everywhere.
They seek him at night
And even at noon
That damn elusive cooking spoon