SAY NO to AMAJU & FOREIGN COACHES, WE have LEGIONS OF PRO EX-PLAYERS !!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bell
Egg
Egg
Re: SAY NO to AMAJU & FOREIGN COACHES, WE have LEGIONS OF PRO EX-PLAYERS !!

Post by Bell »

Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:37 am
Bell wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:11 pm
Damunk wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:15 am
Bell wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:46 pm.

Nigeria has been playing international soccer since the 1950’s and still does not have a cadre of competent local coaches that it can quickly call on. Don’t you see something wrong with that picture? And what sustained accomplishments have been achieved with the foreign coaches?
Of course, There is everything wrong with it.
The question is, why is it like this?
All the relevant questions have already been asked time and time again.
Nigerian coaches are not developing themselves. They are waiting for someone to come and give them a job without doing the work.
This is NOT the Nigerian spirit. Nigerians have a right to demand basic education, but beyond that, you are on your own.
Nigerians will go anywhere and endure all sorts of adverse condition to advance themselves. You have Nigerian-trained doctors cleaning toilets in the UK, USA while they prepare to pass board exams to allow them practise there. Which they invariably do.

Why do our coaches feel they should be different?
Look at what CIV’s Fae did when he stopped playing. Look at Kolo Toure. Look at Patrick Viera.
What are our own ex-internationals doing? What is anybody doing in that field?
Waiting.
A sense of entitlement.
(Sleaky), Let me quote you:

So again, until Nigeria rips up the existing foundation and framework, we will be here for decades to come, blaming foreigners, foreign born players and all the usual nonsense, when the actual issue is right before our eyes.

I happen to agree with that. So it begs the question, why bring in foreign coaches in this morass instead relying on locals as part of overall reforms?
Bell
Haven’t you already answered your own question in your very same post?

I might be wrong Bell, but I believe it was you I was debating last year or year before when I pointed out the NFF Vice Chairman’s comments to us right here in a zoom meeting in which he said that Nigerian coaches are lazy and are not even taking up the higher coaching certifications available in Nigeria!

What do you think about that? That is pathetic.
Yet how come we are refusing to lay the blame on this lazy, unambitious attitude?

Was it the Nigerian Ministry of Education that pushed you or I or any of us here to develop our careers or further our education beyond graduate level? :idea:

Bottom line is, Nigerians will eat a Nigerian coach raw if he fails to produce for the SE.
Rohr’s own will be nothing compared to what they will do.
So, the best chance of surviving and keeping us happy is to build some kind of pedigree.
Finish.
damunk, PEOPLE ARE APPOINTED TO SOLVE PROBLEMS, NOT MERELY MANAGE

Assuming the charges you've leveled against Nigerian coaches are true, the solution is not to throw the hands up. It is the responsibility of those in authority to find out why this is so and then look for solutions. They cannot expect things to be ready-made for them otherwise anybody can do the job.

Govts, institutions and individuals give scholarships and other forms of incentives where they want to see growth. When space vehicles explode on launch pads with casualties, the USA did not give up on the program - it investigated and corrected things.
So again, you are shifting the responsibility entirely away from the individuals (coaches) solely onto the NFF.
You know for a FACT that there have been “no incentives” for Nigerian coaches?
What kind of incentives? Scholarships?

I have referred you to the interview we ourselves gave to the NFF’s no 2 which you seem to totally ignore whenever you make your arguments on CE.
First it was on youth football, now it’s on coaching.

Maybe it doesn’t fit with preconceptions you have, but we won’t solve the problem by digging in our heels and not taking on board new information. Of course you can convince yourself that it’s all a bunch of lies, but that is why we worked hard to bring the NFF into our home on CE so that we could interrogate and decide for ourselves.
This was May 2021.
v. On Nigerian Coaches
Mr VP was asked specifically about the claim by Finidi George that he was being ignored for a national coaching role despite his unarguable football pedigree, his coaching licences and his experience coaching youth teams in Spain. He is also a fans’ favourite and the clamour for him to be considered has been loud and unrelenting.

The VP first clarified that Finidi had indeed been considered and invited for interview alongside several others. Unfortunately for him, the NFF decided on another candidate, also an ex-SE player. VP Akinwunmi assured everyone that he is “a great fan” of Finidi George as are most of the NFF and there was nothing personal about the NFF decision to hire someone else from a list of candidates shortlisted and interviewed for the job.

On a more general note, VP Akinwunmi said he was unhappy with the public pressure put on the NFF via the media by aspiring coaches but it was ultimately not in the best interest of the NFF to engage in public debate on all issues, accusations and inaccuracies in the public domain regarding the body.

He was also asked about the NFF’s overall view on local coaches and made it clear that it was not the NFF’s role to train Nigerian coaches but to create an enabling environment for them to thrive and practise. He believes many Nigerian coaches “are lazy” and are not proactive in improving themselves technically. He described how many coaches were practising with level ‘E’ and ‘D’ coaching licenses but level ‘C’ licences were available with only a few showing an interest in achieving that grade.

Many a time the NFF has had to go beyond their remit to sponsor coaches on courses which they should be accessing themselves.
There was often “a sense of entitlement” which did not augur well for coaching development in the country.
On its part the NFF had engaged the services of a top-flight Nigerian coaching trainer based in the USA who would be taking up office very shortly.

Finally, he was at pains to point out that despite what many might think, ex-Nigerian players had been engaged by the NFF over the years and would beg to differ on the premise that they were being ignored. He mentioned those ex-players on the NFF technical committee like Augustine Eguavon and Garba Lawal; there was Emmanuel Amuneke who took the U17 team to win the WC in 2015 as well as deputy SE Coach Joseph Yobo who has also acquired his licenses.
I know there have been others like Ikpeba, JJ Okocha and some others that have been engaged by the NFF in some kind of technical capacity

So you see, your assertion is not entirely accurate, but it’s an easy option and the easiest target of all is the NFF.
The NFF, like the Nigerian govt, has its serious shortcomings, don’t get me wrong.
No argument on that.

But what are individual Nigerians doing to overcome?
ABSOLUTELY, THE BURDEN IS ON THE AUTHORITIES, INCLUDING THE NFF

If they can't get it done, they need not be there. That's all we need to know. No excuses. Being in the NFF is not supposed to be a career and they should get out if they can't get the job done: they should not sit tight. (We also know that Nigerian refs have not been part of tournaments for a long time, another failure of the football authorities)
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

iworo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:52 am It's quite amusing to observe the fervor of those insisting on exclusively Nigerian coaches for our national soccer team, especially considering many of them are immigrants in Western countries, contributing their skills in various capacities. The irony is as rich as it gets. It seems acceptable for the West to provide employment opportunities, yet hiring a foreigner for our own team is met with resistance. Perhaps it's time for some of you folks to broaden your perspective and embrace diversity. Food for thought, indeed.
I HAVE ISSUES WITH THIS COMPARISON

(1) As far as I know, no one is calling for non-Nigerians to be kept out of all jobs - only the position of national soccer coach is being reserved - FOR NOW - to Nigerians. The reasons have been discussed in other threads. Foreigners are welcome to apply to the millions of open positions in the country - medical, law, transportation, accounting/finance, IT, entertainment, education, clergy, woodwork, mechanics, solar systems, agriculture, construction, fashion, energy, sports leagues (even club coach) etc, etc, etc. So we're talking about one solitary position out of millions.

(2) In the west, certain sensitive jobs are reserved for citizens, or natural born citizens, only. I'm not sure anyone would accuse them of unduly keeping out foreigners.
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:38 am
Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:37 am
Bell wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:11 pm
Damunk wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:15 am
Bell wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:46 pm.

Nigeria has been playing international soccer since the 1950’s and still does not have a cadre of competent local coaches that it can quickly call on. Don’t you see something wrong with that picture? And what sustained accomplishments have been achieved with the foreign coaches?
Of course, There is everything wrong with it.
The question is, why is it like this?
All the relevant questions have already been asked time and time again.
Nigerian coaches are not developing themselves. They are waiting for someone to come and give them a job without doing the work.
This is NOT the Nigerian spirit. Nigerians have a right to demand basic education, but beyond that, you are on your own.
Nigerians will go anywhere and endure all sorts of adverse condition to advance themselves. You have Nigerian-trained doctors cleaning toilets in the UK, USA while they prepare to pass board exams to allow them practise there. Which they invariably do.

Why do our coaches feel they should be different?
Look at what CIV’s Fae did when he stopped playing. Look at Kolo Toure. Look at Patrick Viera.
What are our own ex-internationals doing? What is anybody doing in that field?
Waiting.
A sense of entitlement.
(Sleaky), Let me quote you:

So again, until Nigeria rips up the existing foundation and framework, we will be here for decades to come, blaming foreigners, foreign born players and all the usual nonsense, when the actual issue is right before our eyes.

I happen to agree with that. So it begs the question, why bring in foreign coaches in this morass instead relying on locals as part of overall reforms?
Bell
Haven’t you already answered your own question in your very same post?

I might be wrong Bell, but I believe it was you I was debating last year or year before when I pointed out the NFF Vice Chairman’s comments to us right here in a zoom meeting in which he said that Nigerian coaches are lazy and are not even taking up the higher coaching certifications available in Nigeria!

What do you think about that? That is pathetic.
Yet how come we are refusing to lay the blame on this lazy, unambitious attitude?

Was it the Nigerian Ministry of Education that pushed you or I or any of us here to develop our careers or further our education beyond graduate level? :idea:

Bottom line is, Nigerians will eat a Nigerian coach raw if he fails to produce for the SE.
Rohr’s own will be nothing compared to what they will do.
So, the best chance of surviving and keeping us happy is to build some kind of pedigree.
Finish.
damunk, PEOPLE ARE APPOINTED TO SOLVE PROBLEMS, NOT MERELY MANAGE

Assuming the charges you've leveled against Nigerian coaches are true, the solution is not to throw the hands up. It is the responsibility of those in authority to find out why this is so and then look for solutions. They cannot expect things to be ready-made for them otherwise anybody can do the job.

Govts, institutions and individuals give scholarships and other forms of incentives where they want to see growth. When space vehicles explode on launch pads with casualties, the USA did not give up on the program - it investigated and corrected things.
So again, you are shifting the responsibility entirely away from the individuals (coaches) solely onto the NFF.
You know for a FACT that there have been “no incentives” for Nigerian coaches?
What kind of incentives? Scholarships?

I have referred you to the interview we ourselves gave to the NFF’s no 2 which you seem to totally ignore whenever you make your arguments on CE.
First it was on youth football, now it’s on coaching.

Maybe it doesn’t fit with preconceptions you have, but we won’t solve the problem by digging in our heels and not taking on board new information. Of course you can convince yourself that it’s all a bunch of lies, but that is why we worked hard to bring the NFF into our home on CE so that we could interrogate and decide for ourselves.
This was May 2021.
v. On Nigerian Coaches
Mr VP was asked specifically about the claim by Finidi George that he was being ignored for a national coaching role despite his unarguable football pedigree, his coaching licences and his experience coaching youth teams in Spain. He is also a fans’ favourite and the clamour for him to be considered has been loud and unrelenting.

The VP first clarified that Finidi had indeed been considered and invited for interview alongside several others. Unfortunately for him, the NFF decided on another candidate, also an ex-SE player. VP Akinwunmi assured everyone that he is “a great fan” of Finidi George as are most of the NFF and there was nothing personal about the NFF decision to hire someone else from a list of candidates shortlisted and interviewed for the job.

On a more general note, VP Akinwunmi said he was unhappy with the public pressure put on the NFF via the media by aspiring coaches but it was ultimately not in the best interest of the NFF to engage in public debate on all issues, accusations and inaccuracies in the public domain regarding the body.

He was also asked about the NFF’s overall view on local coaches and made it clear that it was not the NFF’s role to train Nigerian coaches but to create an enabling environment for them to thrive and practise. He believes many Nigerian coaches “are lazy” and are not proactive in improving themselves technically. He described how many coaches were practising with level ‘E’ and ‘D’ coaching licenses but level ‘C’ licences were available with only a few showing an interest in achieving that grade.

Many a time the NFF has had to go beyond their remit to sponsor coaches on courses which they should be accessing themselves.
There was often “a sense of entitlement” which did not augur well for coaching development in the country.
On its part the NFF had engaged the services of a top-flight Nigerian coaching trainer based in the USA who would be taking up office very shortly.

Finally, he was at pains to point out that despite what many might think, ex-Nigerian players had been engaged by the NFF over the years and would beg to differ on the premise that they were being ignored. He mentioned those ex-players on the NFF technical committee like Augustine Eguavon and Garba Lawal; there was Emmanuel Amuneke who took the U17 team to win the WC in 2015 as well as deputy SE Coach Joseph Yobo who has also acquired his licenses.
I know there have been others like Ikpeba, JJ Okocha and some others that have been engaged by the NFF in some kind of technical capacity

So you see, your assertion is not entirely accurate, but it’s an easy option and the easiest target of all is the NFF.
The NFF, like the Nigerian govt, has its serious shortcomings, don’t get me wrong.
No argument on that.

But what are individual Nigerians doing to overcome?
ABSOLUTELY, THE BURDEN IS ON THE AUTHORITIES, INCLUDING THE NFF

If they can't get it done, they need not be there. That's all we need to know. No excuses. Being in the NFF is not supposed to be a career and they should get out if they can't get the job done: they should not sit tight. (We also know that Nigerian refs have not been part of tournaments for a long time, another failure of the football authorities)
Bell
Okay. :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

iworo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:52 am It's quite amusing to observe the fervor of those insisting on exclusively Nigerian coaches for our national soccer team, especially considering many of them are immigrants in Western countries, contributing their skills in various capacities. The irony is as rich as it gets. It seems acceptable for the West to provide employment opportunities, yet hiring a foreigner for our own team is met with resistance. Perhaps it's time for some of you folks to broaden your perspective and embrace diversity. Food for thought, indeed.
While some want exclusivity for local coaches, many others lumped in this category only want equal opportunity. What should be more amusing is that some insist on exclusively foreign coaches. Every excuse is used to justify a foreign coach's failings while condemning every failing of a local coach.

A tournament has ended and the contract of the current coach has expired. If we can't discuss alternatives, including local alternatives now, when can we? I have been following Algerian fans in their own debate about Belmadi's replacement, and it is not different from ours. Why do some of you get up in arms if a local coach us even suggested?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:32 pm
aruako1 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:09 am
Lolly wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:45 am The last coaches who failed to qualify us for AFCON were Nigerians. The last coaches who have failed to qualify for us Youth World tournaments and Olympics were Nigerians.

So having a Nigerian coach does not guarantee success. And I am fairly certain that the names being banded about would fail. They have nothing on their CV to justify the noise. Absolutely nothing.
It doesn't guarantee success but they should have equal opportunity both in the recruitment process, remuneration and treatment if they get the job. That is all that many of us ask for.
Equal opportunity means what? To get an interview? Peseiro has more international experience than all our current probables put together, though he is a poor coach as we have seen. But you would expect him to get shortlisted before any of the local boys going by his CV. That’s why we always ask the question. What has Amuneke, Finidi or Oliseh done apart from coaching the SE and with little success?

On remuneration, Keshi got equal treatment. That has been discussed and proven.
Amuneke coached in Tanzania, Sudan and Zambia. Finidi coached Enyimba to become the NPFL champion. Oliseh has coaxing experience in Europe. Egbo has coached in the Champins League. The ceiling is low for local coaches because we are willing to bring in average managers like Rohr and Peseiro at every opportunity.

Southgate was not the most experienced or accomplished English manager when he took over. He got Middlesbrough relegated but has now led England to its best tournament performances since 1966.

And to even suggest that our coaches get equal treatment in remuneration or employment conditions is laughable.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^Southgate's commendable performance with the 3 Lions, albeit without both gold and silver of any description ,is not a consequence of his place of birth and more a result of plan and process. England, after Eriksson and Capello and stroll through Jurassic Park, arrived at a young, modest manager willing to embrace modernity. And so came Southgate, former captain, pleasant, polite, cut-price, an easy option to oversee the transition. England's progression from knockout round nobodies to final four candidates in continental and world competition is the produce of plan or rather, operation, embarked upon years prior. Without St George's park, sans the multimillions invested in grass roots, the opening up of the footballing tiers to foreign ownership and investment, the change in legislation to permit recruitment from far and wide across all age grades, would Gareth "Bangers and Mash" be turning up for semis and finals? Arguably not.

Whether its Amnueke, Amokachi, Finidi George or Boy George for that matter, it doesn't matter. The tools are very much the same. A second-placed finish based on the evidence of the AfCON was a fortuitous reward. Nigeria didn't play like Champions elect at any point, partly because of Peseiro and partly due to the limitations of the squad. There is no credible evidence to support any assumption that any of the above would've faired better. Fae's achievement on home soil with a team desperate to recover from their earlier shambles, before a tremendously partisan crowd, is not simply a case of local tribesman for local people. The weight of expectation, the genuine fear of disappointment and the energy of the atmosphere played as much as part as any tactic, strategy and frolicking with Lady Luck. There are many who, in similar circumstances, fall on their swords, the Ivorians refused to be dead, having died many times throughout the tournament. In the sport of kings, if one can get to the 12th round with both hands still swinging, there's a chance one might land. Flush. It's the getting to the 12th round that matters. Fae did his part, the players did theirs, the crowd too. Had they lost the final, would the argument not have been one of immaturity, naivety, too big an occasion?

Well done to CIV, they deserved it, but to think their fortune was simply down to getting the foreigner out is ludicrous. If only it were that simple.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Coach wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:28 pm ^Southgate's commendable performance with the 3 Lions, albeit without both gold and silver of any description ,is not a consequence of his place of birth and more a result of plan and process. England, after Eriksson and Capello and stroll through Jurassic Park, arrived at a young, modest manager willing to embrace modernity. And so came Southgate, former captain, pleasant, polite, cut-price, an easy option to oversee the transition. England's progression from knockout round nobodies to final four candidates in continental and world competition is the produce of plan or rather, operation, embarked upon years prior. Without St George's park, sans the multimillions invested in grass roots, the opening up of the footballing tiers to foreign ownership and investment, the change in legislation to permit recruitment from far and wide across all age grades, would Gareth "Bangers and Mash" be turning up for semis and finals? Arguably not.

Whether its Amnueke, Amokachi, Finidi George or Boy George for that matter, it doesn't matter. The tools are very much the same. A second-placed finish based on the evidence of the AfCON was a fortuitous reward. Nigeria didn't play like Champions elect at any point, partly because of Peseiro and partly due to the limitations of the squad. There is no credible evidence to support any assumption that any of the above would've faired better. Fae's achievement on home soil with a team desperate to recover from their earlier shambles, before a tremendously partisan crowd, is not simply a case of local tribesman for local people. The weight of expectation, the genuine fear of disappointment and the energy of the atmosphere played as much as part as any tactic, strategy and frolicking with Lady Luck. There are many who, in similar circumstances, fall on their swords, the Ivorians refused to be dead, having died many times throughout the tournament. In the sport of kings, if one can get to the 12th round with both hands still swinging, there's a chance one might land. Flush. It's the getting to the 12th round that matters. Fae did his part, the players did theirs, the crowd too. Had they lost the final, would the argument not have been one of immaturity, naivety, too big an occasion?

Well done to CIV, they deserved it, but to think their fortune was simply down to getting the foreigner out is ludicrous. If only it were that simple.
Much better position than most I've seen. Do you think at the end if a tournament like this, it should be taboo to mention local coaches?
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Why should ethnic origin matter? Why aren't innovative, forward-thinking, new school, the attributes being discussed? The Liverpool job is up for grabs in the summer, one of English football's most successful sides, presently led by German, hopefully (from a Scouse perspective) to be succeeded by a Spaniard. Yes there's a difference between club and national team, but perhaps too much is lost in that separation.

Using the Southgate example, on myriad occasions the 3 Lions faithful are treated to tabloids covered in photos of Waistcoat in the stands watching the latest produce of the hype machine. Foden, Bellingham (pre-Real), Branthwaite, Guehi, Eze. Scouting as if he were overseeing a club team. Slowly but surely, the separation is becoming less and less. It's not about the few weeks leading up to and of a tournament. More and more, its becoming a season-long matter. Rather than waste time discussing 1990s issues, discourse should reside within the realms of modernity. Competence, commitment, intelligence, innovation, leadership, loyalty, all encased in a transferrable, tried and tested philosophy.

Couldn't care less if the best, most complete candidate (by the above measures) was a high powered PC packed with algorithms and equations.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Coach wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:31 pm Why should ethnic origin matter? Why aren't innovative, forward-thinking, new school, the attributes being discussed? The Liverpool job is up for grabs in the summer, one of English football's most successful sides, presently led by German, hopefully (from a Scouse perspective) to be succeeded by a Spaniard. Yes there's a difference between club and national team, but perhaps too much is lost in that separation.

Using the Southgate example, on myriad occasions the 3 Lions faithful are treated to tabloids covered in photos of Waistcoat in the stands watching the latest produce of the hype machine. Foden, Bellingham (pre-Real), Branthwaite, Guehi, Eze. Scouting as if he were overseeing a club team. Slowly but surely, the separation is becoming less and less. It's not about the few weeks leading up to and of a tournament. More and more, its becoming a season-long matter. Rather than waste time discussing 1990s issues, discourse should reside within the realms of modernity. Competence, commitment, intelligence, innovation, leadership, loyalty, all encased in a transferrable, tried and tested philosophy.

Couldn't care less if the best, most complete candidate (by the above measures) was a high powered PC packed with algorithms and equations.
So if there was a shortlist, would any local coach make it? Have they always been treated the same?
kash n' karry
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kash n' karry »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:57 am
While some want exclusivity for local coaches, many others lumped in this category only want equal opportunity. What should be more amusing is that some insist on exclusively foreign coaches. Every excuse is used to justify a foreign coach's failings while condemning every failing of a local coach.

A tournament has ended and the contract of the current coach has expired. If we can't discuss alternatives, including local alternatives now, when can we? I have been following Algerian fans in their own debate about Belmadi's replacement, and it is not different from ours. Why do some of you get up in arms if a local coach us even suggested?
:evil: :twisted:
True talk ... the fact of the matter is that we have several hundreds of ex players who can fit the coaching bill... the NFF will just have to stop being LAZY and do a thorough scouting on who of our ex can be great coaches.. AND i am sure there are aplenty out there.
So therefore as one scout for players, one should do thorough scouting for coaches too to let them knows the types of soccer brand we want AND feel their pulse on what is expected from them with our fan base.

Sadly.. . some of these foreign coach come in and do not have and idea of the lofty expectations that they are walking into .. . and that is a gaddammnnn SHAME on the NFF and its orientations !! :blink:
==========================================================
Aaaaaagghhh gaaddammnn itt .. . wherez my Heineken + big bubble booty chics ? :mrgreen:
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:05 am
Lolly wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:45 am The last coaches who failed to qualify us for AFCON were Nigerians. The last coaches who have failed to qualify for us Youth World tournaments and Olympics were Nigerians.

So having a Nigerian coach does not guarantee success. And I am fairly certain that the names being banded about would fail. They have nothing on their CV to justify the noise. Absolutely nothing.
It doesn't guarantee success but they should have equal opportunity both in the recruitment process, remuneration and treatment if they get the job. That is all that many of us ask for.
Equal opportunity means what? To get an interview? Peseiro has more international experience than all our current probables put together, though he is a poor coach as we have seen. But you would expect him to get shortlisted before any of the local boys going by his CV. That’s why we always ask the question. What has Amuneke, Finidi or Oliseh done apart from coaching the SE and with little success?

Amuneke coached in Tanzania, Sudan and Zambia. Finidi coached Enyimba to become the NPFL champion. Oliseh has coaxing experience in Europe. Egbo has coached in the Champins League. The ceiling is low for local coaches because we are willing to bring in average managers like Rohr and Peseiro at every opportunity.

Southgate was not the most experienced or accomplished English manager when he took over. He got Middlesbrough relegated but has now led England to its best tournament performances since 1966.

And to even suggest that our coaches get equal treatment in remuneration or employment conditions is laughable.
So which one amongst the current local coaches has a better resume than Peseinro? If we were to interview all of them and make a decision on merit, who should get the job?

I have told you that Keshi’s pay was on par with the foreign coach’s pay at that time. So I don’t know what is laughable. Do you have contrary information?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:17 am

So which one amongst the current local coaches has a better resume than Peseinro? If we were to interview all of them and make a decision on merit, who should get the job?

I have told you that Keshi’s pay was on par with the foreign coach’s pay at that time. So I don’t know what is laughable. Do you have contrary information?
Finidi and Amuneke had better resumes for a job as an African national team coach. Having coached in Europe and Venezuela has little or no bearing on your ability to coach an African team. Even with Keshi, he was paid significantly less than Rohr and Peseiro in USD terms. So it is laughable to claim that local coaches are treated at par when it comes to remuneration and working conditions.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:31 pm

Finidi and Amuneke had better resumes for a job as an African national team coach. Having coached in Europe and Venezuela has little or no bearing on your ability to coach an African team. Even with Keshi, he was paid significantly less than Rohr and Peseiro in USD terms. So it is laughable to claim that local coaches are treated at par when it comes to remuneration and working conditions.
Let me ask you a very honest question. If we were to hypothetically change the title and job responsibilities of local coaches and José Peseiro from “coach” to “surgeon,” and based solely on their experiences, who would be your preferred choice for a life-and-death surgical situation?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

iworo wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:47 pm

Let me ask you a very honest question. If we were to hypothetically change the title and job responsibilities of local coaches and José Peseiro from “coach” to “surgeon,” and based solely on their experiences, who would be your preferred choice for a life-and-death surgical situation?
Iworo

Funny that you will ask that question. Let me answer that, today physicisns who practised in Nigeria are hired all over the world. I have a relation who was hired from Nigeria and currently practising in Canada after passing the exam there.

I bet you have your answer.

In any case, while I believe there are several home grown Nigerian coaches who can handle the Super Eagles, I do not think Nigeria should replace Peseiro at the moment.

Why? I do not believe we should replace a currently successful coach. Peseiro is such a coach. Replacing a coach who is currently successful is a huge risk. Remember that each new Manager, I do not care if he is the best, will have a learning curve. The learning curve at the national team level is challenging because of the severely limited time with players. If you can avoid replacing such a coach, it is best to do so.

Now, if you state that Peseiro should be ditched because we have a chance to get Mourinho. I will say NO, instead hire a local manager. Why? Because I do not want Mourinho to come here and we go through a learning curve. I would rather a local manager goes through that curve.

However, I am not willing to go through the curve when we have an existing coach who is currently successful and willing to stay on.

Just my take.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

For an African team before the AFCON I would take one of Finidi or Amuneke ahead of Peseiro. They have more experience of the African game. Renard is another issue. He would be my choice ahead of the two local coaches I mentioned.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:34 pm

Iworo

Funny that you will ask that question. Let me answer that, today physicisns who practised in Nigeria are hired all over the world. I have a relation who was hired from Nigeria and currently practising in Canada after passing the exam there.

In any case, while I believe there are several home grown Nigerian coaches who can handle the Super Eagles, I do not think Nigeria should replace Peseiro at the moment.

Why? I do not believe we should replace a currently successful coach. Peseiro is such a coach. Replacing a coach who is currently successful is a huge risk. Remember that each new Manager, I do not care if he is the best, will have a learning curve. The learning curve at the national team level is challenging because of the severely limited time with players. If you can avoid replacing such a coach, it is best to do so.

Now, if you state that Peseiro should be ditched because we have a chance to get Mourinho. I will say NO, instead hire a local manager. Why? Because I do not want Mourinho to come here and we go through a learning curve. I would rather a local manager goes through that curve.

However, I am not willing to go through the curve when we have an existing coach who is currently successful and willing to stay on.

Just my take.
I respect your position on Peseiro staying. I would usually have the same position but for the reasons I have repeated on several occasions. And you are totally spot on.

Peseiro has the CV he had because he has more opportunities. But until he came to Nigeria, he didn't have any African experience. That would have been a major factor for me. That is why my two foreign favourites (Mosimane and Goncalves) have African experience.
kash n' karry
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kash n' karry »

Iworo

Just my take.

Local coaches with the exception of the likes of Murinho, Ferguson etc these guys have actually kicked many butts to win many trophies... the track records don't lie .. .. :thumbs:
But
NFF ...bring me a Quadruple local coach experiment :winking:
Finidi for running with the ball and for positional offense
Mutiu for heading the ball in from anywhere
Amunike for holding the ball without losing it {head coach}
Amokachi to intimidating the opponent and giving our chicken players a spine !!

Notice all these guys are the same set of generation so they all will be able to converge their same generational knowledge on tour chicken team .. Oya letz rolllllll !!! :drool:
============================================================
Aaaaagghhh gaaddammmnn ittt ... wherez my Heineken + big wet bubble booty chics ? :mrgreen:
kash n' karry
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SAY NO to AMAJU & FOREIGN COACHES, WE HV A LEGION OF PRO EX-PLAYERS !!

Post by kash n' karry »

Damunk wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:37 am
kash n' karry wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:32 pm
Agbako wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:49 pm
kash n' karry wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:37 am :evil: :twisted:
At this stage. its time to say no to foreign coaches except they have a recent proven track record in 3 departments of the game
1. Defense {compact}, 2. Mid-field {attacking style), 3 Offense {coordination}

At this stage... i want our attacking-possessive soccer style back asap AND I specifically want the NFF to fire
Peseiro immediately and replace him with the combo of Siasia + Amunike.... !!

NFF ...PLEEEAAAAAAZZZEE SWALLOW YA PRIDE and HIRE THESE 2 GUYS !!
========================================================
Chance favors da prepared mind...ALWAYS !!
Will they Listen? My country had been plagued for years of the least qualified leading us in all departments.
So the results is perennial underachievers.. How many AFCON finals have we been runners up now? How many 3rd Positions have we won so far? This is a complete joke...

Do the right thing NFF hire a Nigerian Coach and do the needful. You know our biggest problem is Midfield. Fix this shiit you knuckle heads,

Incase you all in that stonehouse and have no idea what a great Nigerian Midfielders you should be looking for look lke, let me help you.

Wilson Oruma
Mutiu Adpoju
SundayOliseh
Thompson Oliha
Ogenyi Onazi (A good coach & scout will be searchig the globe for such talent)

These Two Below will be very unreasonable to look for

Mikel Obi
JJ Okocha.

So someone wants to tell me we cant find some replica Nigerian footballers like these above?.

Its the most insulting thing to our Football when I see a player call Aribo wearng our #10 Jersey. Na who swear for us self?

Can someone please do a huge Sacrifice to that person to reverse these self curses
My brother ... i think where we lost it was when we stopped playing our soccer games in Lagos !!

Every team used to be scared of Nigeria {except for Cameroun} and even Amokachi and the likes during their playing days will scream in the locker rooms all just in order to intimidate our opponents who are hearing their noises.

Even the Super Falcons had this intimidating attitude and carried it into the games in the earlier portions of their formations The USA team when they had a 1st crack at our Super Falcons admitted to being scared of our team !!

I think we need to bring that Lagos home games swag back.. . these were are old true identities of which our foreign players have lost.... YESSS national stadium is bad BUT we can use Teslim Balogun stadium !!

Our old players need to address the SE true character and we need to start playing our home games back in Lagos.

NOTES :::
1. Our players whether foreign or local on any Super Eagles re-orientatation by our old players... I am gonna search our Amokachi and tell him to bring this attitude back to our SE team if i can Ooo !! :thumbs:

2. Federal govt. need to bring back the National Stadium {Lagos} AND the Liberty Stadium {the 1st stadium in Africa}.

3. We have a slew of old ex- players who can coach the team and we have to look in that direction .. if NOT
then we
should
4. We employ foreign coach who are ONLY from Holland, we had modeled our game after Holland's for a generation as they play some of the most beautiful styles of soccer ever !! This is why we had Westerhoff and Bonfrere.. who both won the AFCON and the Olympic Gold for us respectively !!!
============================================================
Aaaaggghhh gaaddammnn itt ... Wherez my Heineken + big wet bubble booty chics ? :mrgreen:
Sorry Sir.
You’re living on nostalgia.
I take it you are of a ‘respectable’ age, so everything from the past is “the best”.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Uhhhh shiorrr ... Damunk you have in this CE hood as I am... .yesss.. so you and I are both old foools :lol:
Now seriously .. ..nostalgia is the first way to re-trace your steps back into your true traditions AND
by George Naija has lost its soccer traditions, our players are not impossing and intimidating any more.
They first need to be playing our games in Lagos in order to develop a thick spin and with that confidence
they can bully anybody around like in the days of Amokachi ... that is why we need him in that new coaching team
... All our opposing teams an NO longer scared of us anymore and Amajuuu .... u are da one who caused this nonesense -- -says da Kashizzle :woot:
========================================================
Chance favors da prepared mind. ALWAYS !!
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Iworo

Just my take.
You didn’t answer my question. The only thing I could deduce from what you said is that you would prefer a resident doctor over highly skilled, experienced doctor to perform a surgical procedure on you in a life-and-death situation, right?
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:48 pm

For an African team before the AFCON I would take one of Finidi or Amuneke ahead of Peseiro. They have more experience of the African game. Renard is another issue. He would be my choice ahead of the two local coaches I mentioned.
More experience of the African game?
Bruv.
These ain’t the 80s or 90s.
Most national team players aren’t home based and most managers are modeling their play on European ball. So your point is a little off the mark
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Iworo

Prof, this is hardly true and very rare.
This is my profession and very few surgeons (especially surgeons) are hired straight out of Nigeria to an equivalent position or higher in the top countries of the world.
Such a Nigerian would have to be highly experienced and skilled…accomplished even.
Your relation is a very rare exception.
Most if not all who have that privilege are likely to have become highly trained abroad and then relocated to Nigeria before being enticed back.

It’s just the norm.

You just can’t walk into a top medical job out here in the west.
You get here, do your exams and work your way up, competing with colleagues wey you senior.

We all had to do it.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A: Low level/restrictive thinking:
1. SE/ NFF needs to focus on local coach
2. We need local league players in SE
3. No Foreign born players

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B: Higher level thinking/expansive thinking:
1. Nigeria needs a competent coach
2. We need the best players in SE
3. The best players that qualify as Nigerian should be available to be selected to play for Nigeria

Well I know what type of thinking yields better/growth results. That said, if a local coach for example or player emerges from the "B" process, I will be the happiest. Although I don't see the need to change the coach right now in my own opinion unless Pisero takes the Algeria gig. Let's build, learn. He has demonstrated that he can learn and correct. I blame Pisero for the game vs CIV but aslo think he has the capacity to learn from it and that makes us better for it. #Usefulexperience

NFF, NIPOST, NEPA, NNPC, Nigeria Airways and a list of other entities headed by Nigerians. Only Nigeria will want to hire someone like Siasa -suspended for fraud. Imagine England hiring Big Sam ? it tells the very things about the Nigerian element that we display individually and holds us back collectively.
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

Most of you all are ignoring the elephant in the room. We can't afford to pay anyone in dollars. So one of the requirements is that the coach must be willing to receive their salary in Naira.
NIGERIAN BADBOY!