Alex Iwobi to retire from the SE?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: Alex Iwobi to retire from the SE?

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:52 pm That's one instance of many. All you have to do use Google. You also thought Okoye should had had a tougher skin, even after he said he was getting death threats. We don't know the exact nature of threat Iwobi got, but given that he has played professional football for several years now and have experienced obnoxious fans, we can assume he didn't threaten to retire from the SE to the extent he shut down his social media page, like Okoye did, because of simple boos and negative comments from fans.

I specifically asked in my post that what if it's death threats that he reacted to, and you said he is a professional athlete, and that they are cut differently. What then is the false equivalence with the example of a player who got killed in similar circumstance? Is the physical attack on the Black star coach IN THIS AFCON a false equivalent too?
Cellular wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:38 pm
1naija wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:20 pm You mean like the Columbian player that was shot dead for scoring an own goal was cut differently. You can't be serious.

Cellular wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:57 pm
1naija wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:54 pm You can't be conflicted by his reaction unless you know what he reacted to. I am sure it's not just criticisms of his performance alone. What if it's death threats or threats of bodily harm like they did yo Okoye? Should he just have tough skin to those too? His reaction is not the problem, it's the sickos out there are the problem.
Cellular wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:04 am I am truly conflicted by Alex Iwobi's reaction to trolls.
I guess he is more sensitive than I would have thought. Did he score an own goal? Miss a last-minute PK? Open net?
These kids that seek validation from total strangers... I just don't get it.
He played for freaking Arsenal for goodness sake with their toxic fans.
Played for Everton where they were booing him and calling him names until Super Frankie resurrected his career.
I understand players are people too. But you have to have more steel than this to be affected by what people who don't matter say about you. Your teammates appreciate you. Most fans appreciate you. But na the stupid and worthless people go affect you more than the people that matter? I just don't get it.

You lost a game where you all left everything on the field. Stay off social media. Take a break. Spend time with your loved ones. Even stay off your phone.

You repped us to the best of your ability. I for one am grateful for the sacrifices each and every one of you have made.
He is a PROFESSIONAL athlete.

They are cut differently.
What are on?
Why do you have a knack for False Equivalence?

Alex is a professional athlete. You online trolls don't affect him one bit.
Now, if you meet him in person and want to tell him how you feel about his game, then go ahead.

Bringing up a murder of a football player in violent Medellín Colombia in 1994 is a failed attempt and a very poor attempt at using hyperbole in a situation that is not remotely similar.

The behavior of online trolls is abhorrent. It is not enough reason for a Professional athlete to allegedly threaten to quit.
In 1994 a Colombian player was murdered in Medellin Colombia. What does that have to do with something in 2024? 30 years later? You couldn't find a more recent example for your false equivalence?

What action did Alex Iwobi commit that is similar in any shape or fashion to jump to the conclusion you incautiously jumped to?

Two goalkeepers in recent memory committed grave individual errors in recent memory neither one was physically attacked. One is still actively playing for the team. What error did Iwobi commit to equate it to the one committed by Escobar?

Again, you don't have to exaggerate to make your point. Bullying is bad. And I repeat, professional athletes are cut differently.

If you don't know what that means, then I can't help you.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

danfo driver wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:27 am let me tell a story and I will keep names out of it and try to make it as anonymous as possible (Aside from Abacha).

Someone I know was in General Abacha's "cabinet" (The Federal Executive Council (FEC)- i believe thats what it was called back in the day). The person driving to he Villa for an FEC meeting and stopped to buy newspaper. The front pages of the newspapers had a disparaging story about Abacha (cant remember what the story was now). The person bought one of the newspapers and headed to Aso Rock. Got tot Aso Rock and rushed up the stairs holding the newspapers in his hand and walked into the room. Got there was raised the paper up, shouting towards Abacha: "C-in-C! C-in-C! Have you seen what they said in the papers about you today?"

And he said, Abacha looked up at him and said "__________, you read the papers??! I dont." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Abacha was not reading the newspapers for his mental health. Our players should take a lesson from him.

P.s-- I have not been on Twitter since we lost on Sunday. I will probably check Twitter out tomorrow or Thursday. By then, the roasting we received there would have died down.
OBJ doesn't read newspapers as well. And if you come to him to tell him about what people are saying about him he will tell you the same thing Abacha told the guy you mentioned. Amoda Ogunlere is also not on the Internet.

If you are in a public domain you will encounter all kinds of people.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

danfo driver wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:58 am
felarey wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:51 am

Simples, peeps here were trying to cuddle him. Go on Alex, faith restored!
Unfortunately, with the former coach, ****, most of our fans have become weak, mentally. So, you can imagine whey they think Alex is like them and need cuddling and learning. :oops:
NFF has said they don't want to play games in Lagos because they are afraid of what the pressure from the fans and what they will do if they get an unfavorable result. They prefer the empty stadia in Abuja than the high-pressure boiler plate that is Lagos. They have decided that this generation of players don't do well in high-pressure environment. I don't agree...

Keshi was alleged to have said in one halftime pep-talk to the players, when people were thinking he would be talking tactics to have simply said, "make una continue to play rubbish, na una dem go beat..."

You have said something in the past about players who play for relegated teams and them not having the proper mindset to handle pressure. Not everyone is built to handle pressure. Some people thrive under pressure and some whittle under it.
My favorite sport is the NFL. And coaches say, there are guys you want to have with you when you enter a dark alley.

Any Naijarian player who is affected by what fans say about him is a Ghanaian. :veryangry:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

The attack on the Ghana Black Star coach must be an exaggeration from 30 years ago too.
Cellular wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:33 am
1naija wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:52 pm That's one instance of many. All you have to do use Google. You also thought Okoye should had had a tougher skin, even after he said he was getting death threats. We don't know the exact nature of threat Iwobi got, but given that he has played professional football for several years now and have experienced obnoxious fans, we can assume he didn't threaten to retire from the SE to the extent he shut down his social media page, like Okoye did, because of simple boos and negative comments from fans.

I specifically asked in my post that what if it's death threats that he reacted to, and you said he is a professional athlete, and that they are cut differently. What then is the false equivalence with the example of a player who got killed in similar circumstance? Is the physical attack on the Black star coach IN THIS AFCON a false equivalent too?
Cellular wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:38 pm
1naija wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:20 pm You mean like the Columbian player that was shot dead for scoring an own goal was cut differently. You can't be serious.

Cellular wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:57 pm
1naija wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:54 pm You can't be conflicted by his reaction unless you know what he reacted to. I am sure it's not just criticisms of his performance alone. What if it's death threats or threats of bodily harm like they did yo Okoye? Should he just have tough skin to those too? His reaction is not the problem, it's the sickos out there are the problem.
Cellular wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:04 am I am truly conflicted by Alex Iwobi's reaction to trolls.
I guess he is more sensitive than I would have thought. Did he score an own goal? Miss a last-minute PK? Open net?
These kids that seek validation from total strangers... I just don't get it.
He played for freaking Arsenal for goodness sake with their toxic fans.
Played for Everton where they were booing him and calling him names until Super Frankie resurrected his career.
I understand players are people too. But you have to have more steel than this to be affected by what people who don't matter say about you. Your teammates appreciate you. Most fans appreciate you. But na the stupid and worthless people go affect you more than the people that matter? I just don't get it.

You lost a game where you all left everything on the field. Stay off social media. Take a break. Spend time with your loved ones. Even stay off your phone.

You repped us to the best of your ability. I for one am grateful for the sacrifices each and every one of you have made.
He is a PROFESSIONAL athlete.

They are cut differently.
What are on?
Why do you have a knack for False Equivalence?

Alex is a professional athlete. You online trolls don't affect him one bit.
Now, if you meet him in person and want to tell him how you feel about his game, then go ahead.

Bringing up a murder of a football player in violent Medellín Colombia in 1994 is a failed attempt and a very poor attempt at using hyperbole in a situation that is not remotely similar.

The behavior of online trolls is abhorrent. It is not enough reason for a Professional athlete to allegedly threaten to quit.
In 1994 a Colombian player was murdered in Medellin Colombia. What does that have to do with something in 2024? 30 years later? You couldn't find a more recent example for your false equivalence?

What action did Alex Iwobi commit that is similar in any shape or fashion to jump to the conclusion you incautiously jumped to?

Two goalkeepers in recent memory committed grave individual errors in recent memory neither one was physically attacked. One is still actively playing for the team. What error did Iwobi commit to equate it to the one committed by Escobar?

Again, you don't have to exaggerate to make your point. Bullying is bad. And I repeat, professional athletes are cut differently.

If you don't know what that means, then I can't help you.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Lolly wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:13 am Iwobi's wounded expression says it all.

Know a photo op when you see one. The minister's aides cornered Iwobi to meet with him after hearing the news. While Iwobi is probably just waiting to put his headphones back on and text his gurl after he's done with grandpa :taunt:
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

You are older than the grandpa.
felarey wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:56 am

Know a photo op when you see one. The minister's aides cornered Iwobi to meet with him after hearing the news. While Iwobi is probably just waiting to put his headphones back on and text his gurl after he's done with grandpa :taunt:
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
kendo
Egg
Egg

Post by kendo »

Cellular wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:46 am
NFF has said they don't want to play games in Lagos because they are afraid of what the pressure from the fans and what they will do if they get an unfavorable result.

In Olisheh's autobiography he wrote about Afcon 2000 and how their bus was badly damaged by rocks thrown by fans. A staff member was even injured.
Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

OK… I’ve gone through this thread more than once but other than the unverified contention at the beginning of the thread, where did Iwobi say or even suggest he’s considering retirement from the SuperEagles❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

the way Iwobi turn around and pick race, i no wan wahala ooo :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:51 pm

the way Iwobi turn around and pick race, i no wan wahala ooo :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
They need media training.
Get a professional like KOC or a professional PR person to help them handle the Press, fans, and family members.
The pressure of representing a nation/country is different.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

1naija wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:26 am You are older than the grandpa.
felarey wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:56 am

https://twitter :D .com/OneJoblessBoy/status/1757319855605260770
Seems I touched a nerve. Eniwe I always respect my elders and we appreciate you on this site. :D
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
kendo
Egg
Egg

Post by kendo »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:23 pm OK… I’ve gone through this thread more than once but other than theunverufied contention at the beginning of the thread, where did Iwobi say or even suggest he’s considering retirement from the SuperEagles❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
They were just online rumours
Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

kendo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:11 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:23 pm OK… I’ve gone through this thread more than once but other than theunverufied contention at the beginning of the thread, where did Iwobi say or even suggest he’s considering retirement from the SuperEagles❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
They were just online rumours
I doubt it. He probably told a few players and journalists in confidence about his frustration with the negativity - you can see that he did not not have his usual demeanour in his public appearances after the final. But he has probably slept over it and received support from people close to him, in addition to the public support from fellow players, officials and fans.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cellular wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:35 am
danfo driver wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:27 am let me tell a story and I will keep names out of it and try to make it as anonymous as possible (Aside from Abacha).

Someone I know was in General Abacha's "cabinet" (The Federal Executive Council (FEC)- i believe thats what it was called back in the day). The person driving to he Villa for an FEC meeting and stopped to buy newspaper. The front pages of the newspapers had a disparaging story about Abacha (cant remember what the story was now). The person bought one of the newspapers and headed to Aso Rock. Got tot Aso Rock and rushed up the stairs holding the newspapers in his hand and walked into the room. Got there was raised the paper up, shouting towards Abacha: "C-in-C! C-in-C! Have you seen what they said in the papers about you today?"

And he said, Abacha looked up at him and said "__________, you read the papers??! I dont." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Abacha was not reading the newspapers for his mental health. Our players should take a lesson from him.

P.s-- I have not been on Twitter since we lost on Sunday. I will probably check Twitter out tomorrow or Thursday. By then, the roasting we received there would have died down.
OBJ doesn't read newspapers as well. And if you come to him to tell him about what people are saying about him he will tell you the same thing Abacha told the guy you mentioned. Amoda Ogunlere is also not on the Internet.

If you are in a public domain you will encounter all kinds of people.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: abi!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cellular wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:02 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:51 pm

They need media training.
Get a professional like KOC or a professional PR person to help them handle the Press, fans, and family members.
The pressure of representing a nation/country is different.
I literally was gonna ask, who handles media for the NFF. Both of them are two of my favorite players, but this is very bad public relations.

They have that support in their club and I dont think they will behave this way, if it was with their club's fans.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
return2k2
Egg
Egg

Post by return2k2 »

ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Nigeria does not deserve a good player like Iwobi
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

He needs to play in a more advanced role. He is no central midfielder. I would play him out wide. He should also stay off social media. There are trolls in every country. And he will be abused again on social media. We all remember what the English fans did to Saka and Rashford after the Euros finals.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

I've not been able to bring myself to watch the game, I'm afraid, but can anyone explain why Iwobi was singled out for abuse when the whole team lost? I didn't see any reports of an own-goal, conceded penalty, or a red card.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Orion wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:06 am I've not been able to bring myself to watch the game, I'm afraid, but can anyone explain why Iwobi was singled out for abuse when the whole team lost? I didn't see any reports of an own-goal, conceded penalty, or a red card.
I believe a lot was expected from him but he didn’t quite deliver. I’m surprised that Chukwueze has gone under the radar. He was the worst player in the AFCON final and I wonder if the online bullying is targeted at foreign born players rather than the ones raised at home?
Okoye was a victim of online bullying after the 2021 AFCON blunder that led to the elimination of the SE, while Uzoho with a worse blunder in the WCQ against Ghana in Abuja got off lightly
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Orion wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:06 am I've not been able to bring myself to watch the game, I'm afraid, but can anyone explain why Iwobi was singled out for abuse when the whole team lost? I didn't see any reports of an own-goal, conceded penalty, or a red card.
Hard to explain really.
But thankfully, he’s fine and he’s as committed as ever.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

They all played pretty poorly. Even top performers like Aina and Osimhen. Who knows why they decided to go for Alex. Even on my WhatsApp group which is for basketball, guys were going in on him.

There are a lot of casuals that only watch the important games and don't even understand he was played out of position.

People are surprised when I say based on pure stats, he is one of Nigerias best ever midfielders. He has 10 goals from 74 caps, Okocha has 14 from 74, Kanu has 12 from 86.
Nobody else even comes close and he is only 27.

I think the combination of him being a good looking guy, Okochas nephew and an init boy. Nigerians can be envious people, I mean look at some of messaging here pertaining to foreign based Eagles.