Where is all the anger coming from?.... A moment to recall and to say Thank You to SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Where is all the anger coming from?.... A moment to recall and to say Thank You to SE

Post by Enugu II »

TODAY, my heart bleeds….

Today, my heart bleeds not because Nigeria lost in the championship game to Ivory Coast. It bleeds because of the rabidity of Nigerian football fanhood and what amounts, often, to senseless attacks neither supported by results nor bolstered by a clear outline for the future. Yet, I have been long enough to have not only written about this sport recreationally and scholarly, but to have consumed it from before I became a teenager. I saw and talked with the legendary Ishola Folorunso in Abeokuta when I shivered by merely shaking his bare hands. As I kid I received a response from Muda Lawal after I had written to him. That was a precious moment for me. I have chronicled the first definitive history of Women’s football in Nigeria tracking it back to the early 1930s following extensive research. Yet, I have now met an era when the rabid fan behavior threatens to destroy it all – Nigerian football in entirety.

Make no mistake this is not about the loss to Ivory Coast. After all, football is all about wins and losses. I have lived long enough to witness plenty of losses from the disastrous loss to Italy at the 1994 World Cup to a line of other debacles that I do not care to recall here. Yet, that is what football has always been. You can never win it all.

I may have been mistaken to think that being among Africa’s best was always an important marker of success. I lived through an era when Nigeria merely qualifying for the AFCON marked time for celebration. Of course, Nigerian football has grown by leaps and bounds. Nigeria has clearly hinged its place regularly among Africa’s best.

Coming to this AFCON, the truth was that very few expected Nigeria to even place among the medals. Ours was a team laboring against Africa’s minnows – the Lesothos, the Central African Republic, the Sierra Leones of this continent. Yet, Nigeria came to this competition and overachieved. Maske no mistake about it. Nigeria, instead of collapsing, went on to claim second plac. It was its highest finish in a decade!

Losing to the host nation in the championship game is no mean feat. Until this competition, I do not recall Nigeria ever besting Ivory Coast in Ivory Coast! Not ever! Never in Nigeria’s soccer history and certainly not in a competitive international. I have not re-examined the records and I stand to be corrected. But it is safe to state that beating a host nation in an AFCON final is not an easy feat. In its 34 years of competition, the host nation has only failed to take the trophy in three championship games! That is 3 out of 34 years of AFCON competition. And out of those times, the host nation was expected to lose in two – 1965 and 182 when Ghana was overwhelming favorite over Tunisia and Libya respectively. The only upset? It was Nigeria failing to win the championship at home against archrival Cameroon. It took a penalty-kick tiebreaker in 2002 to hand over third place to Cameroon. Remember, it was not even recorded as a defeat but only as the cup being awarded based on a tiebreaker. Thus, despite Nigeria’s hopes, the books favored Ivory Coast at home against Nigeria on Sunday. That is what history predicted and the outcome followed history.

Given those circumstances, I am finding it difficult to understand the vituperations that have followed a loss that was more predictable than otherwise. Then, amid a heck of a commendable performance by a Nigerian team that was considered as good as dead barely months ago! Perhaps, it is just the lack of soccer history, perhaps it is the pangs and disappointment of defeat, or maybe it is just the social media age and its quest for instant appeasement even when the reality is different.

I remain resolute in my commendation of the Super Eagles and what they achieved at this tournament. They have gone to a place where Nigeria had failed to reach since 2013. To that, I doff my hat.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Where is all the anger coming from?.... A moment to recall and to say Thank You to SE

Post by danfo driver »

No rational person will direct anger towards our players.

The anger and venom is directed, and rightfully, at the coach, who is a below average coach who has failed for 32 years and was embarrassed on multiple occasions in this tournament.

The anger and venom is directed, and rightfully, at the NFF and the coach, who selected 25 players instead of 27, reserved a spot for Musa and Iheanacho, and picked players like Aribo who were clearly unfit.

The anger and venom is directed, and rightfully, at the NFF, which set a 5 day training trip to Abu Dhabi, and then went to Lagos to party with BabaDemon Sanwo-Ewu, when our players should have been acclimatizing and we all see the result!

Finally, the anger and venom is directed, and rightfully, at the CE members who supported the coach and the "Dubai trip." These people are enemies of Nigerian football and I am waiting for Tobi to list all of them.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Where is all the anger coming from?.... A moment to recall and to say Thank You to SE

Post by Damunk »

The anger is misdirected and the shots are going in all random directions.
A man having an epileptic fit and clutching an AK47 would do better than this madness.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

i do not get the current attacks on the players. Are these delusional Nigerian fans slow. My goodness , this was our first cup final in 11 years. I do not get what some folks are expecting. We lost to the host Nation who were 2ce determined .

Haba there is another AFCON in 16 months time..I tire for some naija folks
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:40 pm No rational person will direct anger towards our players.

The anger and venom is directed, and rightfully, at the coach, who is a below average coach who has failed for 32 years and was embarrassed on multiple occasions in this tournament.

The anger and venom is directed, and rightfully, at the NFF and the coach, who selected 25 players instead of 27, reserved a spot for Musa and Iheanacho, and picked players like Aribo who were clearly unfit.

The anger and venom is directed, and rightfully, at the NFF, which set a 5 day training trip to Abu Dhabi, and then went to Lagos to party with BabaDemon Sanwo-Ewu, when our players should have been acclimatizing and we all see the result!

Finally, the anger and venom is directed, and rightfully, at the CE members who supported the coach and the "Dubai trip." These people are enemies of Nigerian football and I am waiting for Tobi to list all of them.
you can't make this sh t up.
Wow!
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

I recall a thread before the tournament asking for predictions. I predicted at best a 2nd round exit going by our recent showings.

Thank you to SE for exceeding my expectation and giving us lots of memorable moments that highlight the Nigerian spirit. The AFCON is a celebration of Africa, and Africa was truly celebrated with Nigeria playing a major part from Day 1 to the grand finale! Proud of the Super Eagles.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Only a tool is angry over arrangements that they’re not privy too. Too many emotional wrecks on social media lacking proper upbringing and insulting people who have given their best to the country.
Any idi@t can sit in front of a computer and insult people, however like most cowards they can’t say this same words in front of the people they insult.
One bloody liar even called a Nigerian, Dr Kelechi, who took time off to support the SE in CIV an angel* for wearing Arsenal jersey to a fans fest! Even when corrected, he dug in as usual but I know he cannot say the same thing in front of Kelechi because that is the day he will get the discipline that’s been lacking in his life! A person who can’t afford to put his money where his mouth is, insulting someone who walks the talk.
Moderators have to live up to their responsibilities on this forum, no one should be trolled because of their opinions as that’s the purpose why we are on this forum and repeat offenders should be banned.
The likes of Sabinus Okoro PhD etc were banned from this forum and heavens didn’t fall.
I know of people who have left the forum because of how toxic some elements have made this forum and its unfair, and Moderators need to do their jobs otherwise…..
No one should be allowed to make this forum toxic!
Last edited by Dammy on Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am happy
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

YemiBrazil wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:32 pm I recall a thread before the tournament asking for predictions. I predicted at best a 2nd round exit going by our recent showings.

Thank you to SE for exceeding my expectation and giving us lots of memorable moments that highlight the Nigerian spirit. The AFCON is a celebration of Africa, and Africa was truly celebrated with Nigeria playing a major part from Day 1 to the grand finale! Proud of the Super Eagles.
Thank you for saying this. The way some people are talking here you would think the other 22 coaches and teams who didn’t make the final should go and jump off a bridge or something. We had our second best result in 24 years across so many coaches and players - let’s be happy and refine the missing pieces of the puzzle to improve further
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

A quack agent best known for running around twitter looking for clients to peddle is an enemy of Nigerian football.

A thing who supported Div 2 players selection and supported the corruption to take our players to "Dubai" and then Lagos to attend a party is an Enemy of Nigerian Football.

A thing who twerked and screamed "Aribo 6 games! Aribo 6 games" and was willing to risk Aribo's life in the heat, when Aribo was unfit is a wicked demonic soul.

A thing who was waiting for his white master to "win" the trophy so he can "attack" his own brothers is a shameless slave who will never HAVE the opportunity to attack his own brothers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shameless. You were waiting for your white god to win the trophy, thinking you can then use it to attack Nigerians. You were rightly put to shame! Hide yourself :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

A shameless liar who is too proud to admit that Nigeria’s best AFCON result in 11 years came as a result of our camping in Dubai and opened a thread that has failed with people mocking him but he’s too daft to know that!
A liar who refuses to be corrected and has such an over bloated ego thinking that he would die rather than admit being wrong. My piece of advice to the liar is that try admitting when you’re wrong and I can guarantee you that you will not die. However you need to be a real man to admit when wrong which is obviously above the liar’s head!
An unrepentant liar who lies all the time just to just to feed his ego about being right all the time! He even lied against me that I called a CE member a tribalist! When I asked the liar for evidence he backtracked quickly! I’m sure the liar is happy that his black brother in CIV defeated the White massa, Peseiro!
Liar Liar pants on fire!!
I am happy
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Aribo 6 games! Aribo 6 games! Dubai! Dubai! Imagine a very bad person supporting your country ONLY because you want your white god to win so he can use it as a way to support the corruption and shoddy management of the pre-tournament camp? The pain such a person is feeling today is just the beginning. The pain will be deeper and more severe. Cry harder! :lol:

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

A deluded egotist who doesn’t know when to admit he’s wrong and keeps labelling others with his lies!
Liar Liar pants on 🔥
The Dubai trip was the best thing to happen to the SE in recent times. The liar is still crying over Dubai and Aribo!
Long may his weeping and gnashing of teeth continue!
I am happy
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Twitter quack is still crying because his white god lost. "some of us are in a very dark place." :lol: :lol: :lol: On candle na! :lol:
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

danfo driver wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:32 am Twitter quack is still crying because his white god lost. "some of us are in a very dark place." :lol: :lol: :lol: On candle na! :lol:
You just indirectly admitted that you were wishing for the black coach to win. By the way, what league does Kessi the goal scorer play again?
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

packerland wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:45 am
danfo driver wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:32 am Twitter quack is still crying because his white god lost. "some of us are in a very dark place." :lol: :lol: :lol: On candle na! :lol:
You just indirectly admitted that you were wishing for the black coach to win. By the way, what league does Kessi the goal scorer play again?
So you see am too. The liar keeps tying himself in knots. Long may his anger and pain continue!
The liar has openly admitted that he was supporting CIV!
I am happy
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cry harder :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Dammy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:14 am
So you see am too. The liar keeps tying himself in knots. Long may his anger and pain continue!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You are still crying ...
Dammy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:14 am I am still in a bad place over the loss
:woot: :rotf: You aint seen nothing yet. Quack!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:19 pm
TODAY, my heart bleeds….

Today, my heart bleeds not because Nigeria lost in the championship game to Ivory Coast. It bleeds because of the rabidity of Nigerian football fanhood and what amounts, often, to senseless attacks neither supported by results nor bolstered by a clear outline for the future. Yet, I have been long enough to have not only written about this sport recreationally and scholarly, but to have consumed it from before I became a teenager. I saw and talked with the legendary Ishola Folorunso in Abeokuta when I shivered by merely shaking his bare hands. As I kid I received a response from Muda Lawal after I had written to him. That was a precious moment for me. I have chronicled the first definitive history of Women’s football in Nigeria tracking it back to the early 1930s following extensive research. Yet, I have now met an era when the rabid fan behavior threatens to destroy it all – Nigerian football in entirety.

Make no mistake this is not about the loss to Ivory Coast. After all, football is all about wins and losses. I have lived long enough to witness plenty of losses from the disastrous loss to Italy at the 1994 World Cup to a line of other debacles that I do not care to recall here. Yet, that is what football has always been. You can never win it all.

I may have been mistaken to think that being among Africa’s best was always an important marker of success. I lived through an era when Nigeria merely qualifying for the AFCON marked time for celebration. Of course, Nigerian football has grown by leaps and bounds. Nigeria has clearly hinged its place regularly among Africa’s best.

Coming to this AFCON, the truth was that very few expected Nigeria to even place among the medals. Ours was a team laboring against Africa’s minnows – the Lesothos, the Central African Republic, the Sierra Leones of this continent. Yet, Nigeria came to this competition and overachieved. Maske no mistake about it. Nigeria, instead of collapsing, went on to claim second plac. It was its highest finish in a decade!

Losing to the host nation in the championship game is no mean feat. Until this competition, I do not recall Nigeria ever besting Ivory Coast in Ivory Coast! Not ever! Never in Nigeria’s soccer history and certainly not in a competitive international. I have not re-examined the records and I stand to be corrected. But it is safe to state that beating a host nation in an AFCON final is not an easy feat. In its 34 years of competition, the host nation has only failed to take the trophy in three championship games! That is 3 out of 34 years of AFCON competition. And out of those times, the host nation was expected to lose in two – 1965 and 182 when Ghana was overwhelming favorite over Tunisia and Libya respectively. The only upset? It was Nigeria failing to win the championship at home against archrival Cameroon. It took a penalty-kick tiebreaker in 2002 to hand over third place to Cameroon. Remember, it was not even recorded as a defeat but only as the cup being awarded based on a tiebreaker. Thus, despite Nigeria’s hopes, the books favored Ivory Coast at home against Nigeria on Sunday. That is what history predicted and the outcome followed history.

Given those circumstances, I am finding it difficult to understand the vituperations that have followed a loss that was more predictable than otherwise. Then, amid a heck of a commendable performance by a Nigerian team that was considered as good as dead barely months ago! Perhaps, it is just the lack of soccer history, perhaps it is the pangs and disappointment of defeat, or maybe it is just the social media age and its quest for instant appeasement even when the reality is different.

I remain resolute in my commendation of the Super Eagles and what they achieved at this tournament. They have gone to a place where Nigeria had failed to reach since 2013. To that, I doff my hat.
Prof., would you prefer apathy?

Would you prefer the days when only Cyber Eagles members and a handful of hardcore Naija football fans followed the team or cared about the team? What you are experiencing is what used to happen in yesteryears... when people cared deeply about the fortunes of the Eagles.

In your years of research can you help us know of any other tournament or a game where people DIED from cardiac issues watching the Eagles play?

The Nation is suffering from severe hardship. The Eagles were a source of comfort and solace to a lot of people. They were disappointed in the immediate aftermath of the loss. They are still going through the 5 stages of grief... Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance. They will all go back to their regularly scheduled suffering. The temporary elixir that is the Eagles doing well at the AFCON and raising morale has come crashing down.

You underestimate the escape sports provide to a beaten-down and depressed society.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:40 pm No rational person will direct anger towards our players.

Told them.

The thiefing NFF folks are probably now scheming how to chop the entire $4 million price money plus including anything the Federal government will give them.

They are also going to create a condition where the FGN will constitute a Presidential Taskforce to salvage our World Cup Ticket.

You see, these guys don't give a $#% about the country or the players. They are there to make money.

Winning is secondary.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:19 pm
TODAY, my heart bleeds….

EII,

Just goes to show what kind of agberos we have in CE. At the Nigerian restaurant where a group of friends and I gathered to watch the match, there was a significant number of young Ivorians. Their mood was somewhat somber but extremely respectful when we scored and after the game they jubilated, also respectfully. Some hugged their Nigerian counterparts amidst the breakout of a huge party. I left around 7 pm eastern time but I understand the party continued until very late.

Football is, after all, just a game🤔❗️

Cheers.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

:taunt:
danfo driver wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:42 am
Cry harder :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
The lying crier is saying someone else is crying when he’s the one still crying about Dubai and Aribo! Can you see how confused he is! :lol:
Please keep crying in pain and anguish, I’m enjoying it.
As e dey pain dem……. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

danfo driver wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:45 am
Dammy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:14 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You are still crying ...
Dammy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:14 am I am still in a bad place over the loss
:woot: :rotf: You aint seen nothing yet. Quack!
I’d rather be an agent in the company of the likes of Pini Zahavi than a liar in the company of the devil and his fallen angels!
Keep crying hooobi! Useless liar! :taunt:
I am happy
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

@Dammy and @Danfo both of you are senior members of this forum. You cant bring your feud to every thread. I will delete any subsequent messages. You can DM yourselves or take it to Face to Face