Three reasons Jose Peseiro should stay as Super Eagles coach amid links with vacant Algeria job

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Three reasons Jose Peseiro should stay as Super Eagles coach amid links with vacant Algeria job

Post by iworo »

Despite guiding the Super Eagles to a second-place finish at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations, the future of coach José Peseiro remains unclear.

The Portuguese tactician has confirmed that his contract with the Nigeria Football Federation ends this month and that informs suggestions that he could be leaving as a free agent in the coming weeks.

Peseiro won't also be without suitors, having been shortlisted for the vacant position of the Algerian national team coach.

However, the NFF are better off extending the deal of the former Real Madrid coach and avoiding losing him to rivals like Algeria or other countries who might signify in his services.

Below are three reasons why the 63-year-old must be allowed to keep his job.

1. He met and exceeded his expectations at AFCON: Against all odds, Peseiro was able to fulfill his mandate of leading the Super Eagles at least to the semifinal of the AFCON.

Not only did he do that but also exceeded the same by qualifying Nigeria for the final for the first time in 14 years but was denied the continental crown by host nation Ivory Coast.

2. Keeping him will provide stability: The Super Eagles have had three coaches in the past 3 years which isn't good enough for a side that wants to return to the summit of African football.

With the 2026 World Cup qualifiers and 2025 Africa Cup of Nations set to come later in the year, it is not a good time to let go of Peseiro.

It should be noted that should the NFF decide to bring in a new coach, he will only have the March International break to familiarize himself with the players before the next set of competitive fixtures.

Thus, the more reason why the Portugal-born coach must be kept.

3. Found solution to long-standing goalkeeping crisis: Before the start of AFCON, there was little confidence in the goalkeeping department of the team but Peseiro dared to start a relatively inexperienced Stanley Nwabali ahead of Francis Uzoho and it paid off massively.

While it can be argued that he should have long ditched the Omonia Nicosia goalkeeper, the fact that he was able to garner the courage to ditch him at the start of a major tournament deserves some commendation.

If he could find a solution to the goalkeeping crisis, who says he can't fix the other problems with the team?

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=50466
kash n' karry
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Three reasons Jose Peseiro should stay as Super Eagles coach amid links with vacant Algeria job

Post by kash n' karry »

:twisted: :evil:
Peseiro please go ..that loss is too painful, you are too rigid and can't substitute timely enough, your mid-field sucks.
We Nigerians love attacking soccer with a compact mid-field that usually keeps the majority ball possession percentages.
Finally ...we want Amunike or Sia One back ...they have an idea of the true identity of our game.
==≠==========================
Aaaghhh gaddammmn itt ...Wheres my Heineken + big wet bubble booty chics ? :mrgreen:
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Three reasons Jose Peseiro should stay as Super Eagles coach amid links with vacant Algeria job

Post by ANC »

kash n' karry wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:55 am :twisted: :evil:
Peseiro please go ..that loss is too painful, you are too rigid and can't substitute timely enough, your mid-field sucks.
We Nigerians love attacking soccer with a compact mid-field that usually keeps the majority ball possession percentages.
Finally ...we want Amunike or Sia One back ...they have an idea of the true identity of our game.
Aaaghhh gaddammmn itt ...Wheres my Heineken + big wet bubble booty chics ? :mrgreen:
:lol:

He should stay if he is aware of the shortcomings and there is a strategy to fix it.
Perhaps he tried to make the best of what he had.
Like studying for board exams. Yes it would be ideal to read as many materials as available to obtain the best score.
When you are left with limited time, high exam performers often stick with a few (1-2) materials and master those thoroughly.
Doing so, often puts you ahead of those who attempt to study every material but end not knowing any well enough.
Perhaps, he tried to make the best of what he had with limited time he had with the team. Like Bigpokey said Clemens Westerhof went to AFCON 2 times before winning it the third time.

It is starting to look weird, that Nigeria keeps changing coaches so often. Perhaps it is NFF and not the coach?
Football is about results. Siasia and Bora Milutinović played beautiful soccer but ended up not qualifying for the WC or performing embarrassingly (Denmark defeat) in WC.

Keshi (RIP) played ugly (pragmatic) football, but won AFCON.
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

For me it's not even about the loss. This guy is clueless. He should simply be allowed to go.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

He should go, I was prepared to see have a more lenient perspective on him until he absolutely proved he was a gutless coward in the final...never I've I seen a Nigerian team in my life (including the worst Nigerian teams) that looked that toothless and scared of an opponent in a finals match. Let him go.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

ANC wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:29 am
:lol:

He should stay if he is aware of the shortcomings and there is a strategy to fix it.
Perhaps he tried to make the best of what he had.
Like studying for board exams. Yes it would be ideal to read as many materials as available to obtain the best score.
When you are left with limited time, high exam performers often stick with a few (1-2) materials and master those thoroughly.
Doing so, often puts you ahead of those who attempt to study every material but end not knowing any well enough.
Perhaps, he tried to make the best of what he had with limited time he had with the team. Like Bigpokey said Clemens Westerhof went to AFCON 2 times before winning it the third time.

It is starting to look weird, that Nigeria keeps changing coaches so often. Perhaps it is NFF and not the coach?
Football is about results. Siasia and Bora Milutinović played beautiful soccer but ended up not qualifying for the WC or performing embarrassingly (Denmark defeat) in WC.

Keshi (RIP) played ugly (pragmatic) football, but won AFCON.
Keshi's team did not play ugly football. Even in the first round in 2013 he did not play ugly football. In the knockout stages his team played confident football to beat Ivory Coast, Mali and Burkina Faso.
Babadee
Egg
Egg

Post by Babadee »

He should stay however he needs to recruit new players into the midfield. We can no longer rely only on wingers or lumping ball to osimhen.

He has shown ability to adapt from all out Attacking football and conceeding goals to solid defence, compact team.

All that is missing is an aggressive midfielder which can be found inside nigeria or maybe Eze
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:09 am He should go, I was prepared to see have a more lenient perspective on him until he absolutely proved he was a gutless coward in the final...never I've I seen a Nigerian team in my life (including the worst Nigerian teams) that looked that toothless and scared of an opponent in a finals match. Let him go.
Yeah, we didn't play well in the final at all. After taking the lead that's when we should have continued attacking CIV, instead we chose to defend. We were under constant pressure because CIV had nothing to fear, or worry about.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

azuka wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:39 am
For me it's not even about the loss. This guy is clueless. He should simply be allowed to go.
Azuka,

Clueless? How? Please explain.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:37 pm
azuka wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:39 am
Azuka,

Clueless? How? Please explain.
Take the 2 matches with South Africa and Ivory Coast. It was obvious to any keen football follower our midfield was been over run. What did he do? South Africa drew the blueprint which Ivory Coast used to beat us which is to always drag Onyeka from his DM position does exposing our CDs. This Ivory Coast perfected to the T to beat us.
Do you want more?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

To be honest , he has only lost two competitive matches. i think if he qualifies us to AFCON 2025 and WC 2026, his tactics will be top notch. The man has earned the rights to be called the best SE coach since Keshi. The SE are currently ranked 28th. best in 16 years

Stats, Wins etc do not lie. Bobo took us to the AFCON final at first try. What more do yall want .Pep's ManCity? Some of you on these forums are just so clueless, football is all about results and winning .

i am very satisfied with our performance. CIV is a CAF power house, how many teams do beat them twice at home in one week. una funny die , we scored them 2ce in their house . They eliminated the previous CAF champs . It is only in Nigeria una dey shout fire the coach , Aliou Cisse, RAgui etc are still at the head of affairs for Senegal and Morocco .

If the man faulters, in the qualifiers, then yall have the rights to cry, but projecting how the team will play is pathetic. If nah mouth them dey use do tactics, then why bother ? Too many loud clueless unintelligent folks on this forum thinking dem sabi ball. go and coach Nigeria and let us see if you can even survive 2 games.... mouth be wetin again?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:52 pm To be honest , he has only lost two competitive matches. i think if he qualifies us to AFCON 2025 and WC 2026, his tactics will be top notch. The man has earned the rights to be called the best SE coach since Keshi. The SE are currently ranked 28th. best in 16 years

Stats, Wins etc do not lie. Bobo took us to the AFCON final at first try. What more do yall want .Pep's ManCity? Some of you on these forums are just so clueless, football is all about results and winning .

i am very satisfied with our performance. CIV is a CAF power house, how many teams do beat them twice at home in one week. una funny die , we scored them 2ce in their house . They eliminated the previous CAF champs . It is only in Nigeria una dey shout fire the coach , Aliou Cisse, RAgui etc are still at the head of affairs for Senegal and Morocco .

If the man faulters, in the qualifiers, then yall have the rights to cry, but projecting how the team will play is pathetic. If nah mouth them dey use do tactics, then why bother ? Too many loud clueless unintelligent folks on this forum thinking dem sabi ball. go and coach Nigeria and let us see if you can even survive 2 games.... mouth be wetin again?
It would be too late if he falters in the qualifiers. That is the worry. We are already behind.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

aruako1 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:04 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:52 pm To be honest , he has only lost two competitive matches. i think if he qualifies us to AFCON 2025 and WC 2026, his tactics will be top notch. The man has earned the rights to be called the best SE coach since Keshi. The SE are currently ranked 28th. best in 16 years

It would be too late if he falters in the qualifiers. That is the worry. We are already behind.
The qualifiers we are in control of our destiny. Right now Rwanda tops. We play SA and Benin next, even 4 points will be enough. The max points are 30 we've dropped 4 points, who ever gets 21 to 24 points from this group will win it . Many folks are projecting and panicking because we missed out last time.

The group is wide open, Every team there believes they have a chance to qualify and even finish 2nd

I will take my chances with JP right now
Pos Teamvte Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification Rwanda South Africa Nigeria Lesotho Zimbabwe Benin
1 Rwanda 2 1 1 0 2 0 +2 4 2026 FIFA World Cup — 2–0 Mar '25 Mar '25 0–0 Oct '25
2 South Africa 2 1 0 1 2 3 −1 3 Possible play-off stage Oct '25 — Sep '25 Mar '25 Jun 2–1
3 Nigeria 2 0 2 0 2 2 0 2 Sep '25 Jun — 1–1 Mar '25 Oct '25
4 Lesotho 2 0 2 0 1 1 0 2 Jun Sep '25 Oct '25 — Oct '25 0–0
5 Zimbabwe 2 0 2 0 1 1 0 2 Sep '25 Oct '25 1–1 Jun — Mar '25
6 Benin 2 0 1 1 1 2 −1 1 Jun Mar '25 Jun Sep '25 Sep '25 —
Updated to match(es) played on 21 November 2023. Source: FIFA
SuperEagles

azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Does Belgium under Martinez ring a bell? Or England under Southgate tell you something? Same thinking is how Belgium lost a golden generation without winning anything of substance to show for it.

It is not about the loss but the manner of the loss.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

azuka wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:16 pm

Does Belgium under Martinez ring a bell? Or England under Southgate tell you something? Same thinking is how Belgium lost a golden generation without winning anything of substance to show for it.

yea but they finished 3rd at the WC. Some of you guys aren't even looking at the table or the situation on the continent, we all saw big teams fall in CIV , but yall are here shouting we lost a final , we should fire the coach. When last did Nigeria smell an AFCON final? We missed 3 AFCONS from 2012 to 2017, got knocked out in the RD of 16 last time, but yall are lost wanting jogo bonito in WCQs and AFCON. maybe nah golden bronze dey sweet una .Fire, fire, fire.

We get beat in friendlies , yall want him fired and then yall start the narratives, etc. The coach lost like 3 players before the tournament and decided to tweak his team.

If una like fire this coach right now without seeing how he will get the team going in June, trust me we will start from square one all over again
SuperEagles

azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:24 pm

yea but they finished 3rd at the WC. Some of you guys aren't even looking at the table or the situation on the continent, we all saw big teams fall in CIV , but yall are here shouting we lost a final , we should fire the coach. When last did Nigeria smell an AFCON final? We missed 3 AFCONS from 2012 to 2017, got knocked out in the RD of 16 last time, but yall are lost wanting jogo bonito in WCQs and AFCON. maybe nah golden bronze dey sweet una .Fire, fire, fire.

We get beat in friendlies , yall want him fired and then yall start the narratives, etc. The coach lost like 3 players before the tournament and decided to tweak his team.

If una like fire this coach right now without seeing how he will get the team going in June, trust me we will start from square one all over again
Do you think that's the best that Belgium team should have achieved with the wealth of talents it has? With a better coach those players were capable of winning the world cup. But no they made the singular mistake of persisting with Martinez. Same thing England is doing now. Persisting with Southgate even when his limitations is out there for anyone with an iota of football to see.

Same thing you guys want us to see. Think closely of all the matches we played and tell me one which our SE played to it's potential? Okay let me put it another way, tell me one which the team won because we were tactically better? I saw none. We got to the semi-finals by superior players quality. And this nearly found us out in the semi-final but luckily we escaped. But in the final we met a team with same players quality like ours but tactically better than us. Ivory Coast winning should be an eye opener of the difference between a tactically good coach can do. And what a pretender can do.

Glad the memory of this AFCON is still with us. Hope you see the progression of the lesser teams like Cape Verde, Angola, Equatorial Guinea and the likes. How tactically well coached those teams were. n a few years these teams will be the next powerhouses of African football. Yet some people are saying we should remain stagnant by continuing with Pase-nonsense and risk missing out of the of 2026 WC.

This Pase and SE matter is a typical example of where it is said that statistics do not tell the whole story. Statistically Belgium under Martinez won more than they lost. But take a deeper look and you will see they are better than what they achieved. Statistically England is doing great under Southgate, but underneath we always see the result when they meet better tactically coached team. Remember how Croatia taught Southgate and England a lessonin football tactically.
And yes statistically Pase-nonsense is doing great. But take a deeper look and you will see.
Can someone tell me if he tactically utilized Osimehn to the best of his ability?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

All you are stating are coaches from BElgium and Rngland. What has that got to do with The SE rising in the FIFA
rankings and playing a major cup final, , played 7 competitive matches a few weeks ago and only lost to the current CAF champs they defeated a few games back. I do not get some of you. I guess other teams aren't improving . I guess the superior quality of the players were missing when we failed woefully by missing 3 AFCONs, failing to qualify for the WC, and getting beat at the 2019 AFCON. keep making irrelevant points. The Euros and COPA are coming up next we will see their advanced football and tactics, just like Morocco who made it all the way the last 4 of the WC , to only get beat twice by SA in qualifiers and AFCON

Some of you think AFCON football is a cake walk, smh
azuka wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:43 pm

Do you think that's the best that Belgium team should have achieved with the wealth of talents it has? With a better coach those players were capable of winning the world cup. But no they made the singular mistake of persisting with Martinez. Same thing England is doing now. Persisting with Southgate even when his limitations is out there for anyone with an iota of football to see.

Same thing you guys want us to see. Think closely of all the matches we played and tell me one which our SE played to it's potential? Okay let me put it another way, tell me one which the team won because we were tactically better? I saw none. We got to the semi-finals by superior players quality. And this nearly found us out in the semi-final but luckily we escaped. But in the final we met a team with same players quality like ours but tactically better than us. Ivory Coast winning should be an eye opener of the difference between a tactically good coach can do. And what a pretender can do.

Glad the memory of this AFCON is still with us. Hope you see the progression of the lesser teams like Cape Verde, Angola, Equatorial Guinea and the likes. How tactically well coached those teams were. n a few years these teams will be the next powerhouses of African football. Yet some people are saying we should remain stagnant by continuing with Pase-nonsense and risk missing out of the of 2026 WC.

This Pase and SE matter is a typical example of where it is said that statistics do not tell the whole story. Statistically Belgium under Martinez won more than they lost. But take a deeper look and you will see they are better than what they achieved. Statistically England is doing great under Southgate, but underneath we always see the result when they meet better tactically coached team. Remember how Croatia taught Southgate and England a lessonin football tactically.
And yes statistically Pase-nonsense is doing great. But take a deeper look and you will see.
Can someone tell me if he tactically utilized Osimehn to the best of his ability?
SuperEagles

azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:52 pm All you are stating are coaches from BElgium and Rngland. What has that got to do with The SE rising in the FIFA
rankings and playing a major cup final, , played 7 competitive matches a few weeks ago and only lost to the current CAF champs they defeated a few games back. I do not get some of you. I guess other teams aren't improving . I guess the superior quality of the players were missing when we failed woefully by missing 3 AFCONs, failing to qualify for the WC, and getting beat at the 2019 AFCON. keep making irrelevant points. The Euros and COPA are coming up next we will see their advanced football and tactics, just like Morocco who made it all the way the last 4 of the WC , to only get beat twice by SA in qualifiers and AFCON

Some of you think AFCON football is a cake walk, smh
azuka wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:43 pm

You are the one missing the point. You think it is all about this AFCON competition? No sir it is not.
It is not about the loss but the manner of loss. And the totality of our play since he became the coach.
And yes i referenced Belgium and England because they share the same mentality you have.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

iworo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:35 pm Three reasons Jose Peseiro should stay as Super Eagles coach amid links with vacant Algeria job

Despite guiding the Super Eagles to a second-place finish at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations, the future of coach José Peseiro remains unclear.

The Portuguese tactician has confirmed that his contract with the Nigeria Football Federation ends this month and that informs suggestions that he could be leaving as a free agent in the coming weeks.

Peseiro won't also be without suitors, having been shortlisted for the vacant position of the Algerian national team coach.

However, the NFF are better off extending the deal of the former Real Madrid coach and avoiding losing him to rivals like Algeria or other countries who might signify in his services.

Below are three reasons why the 63-year-old must be allowed to keep his job.

1. He met and exceeded his expectations at AFCON: Against all odds, Peseiro was able to fulfill his mandate of leading the Super Eagles at least to the semifinal of the AFCON.

Not only did he do that but also exceeded the same by qualifying Nigeria for the final for the first time in 14 years but was denied the continental crown by host nation Ivory Coast.

2. Keeping him will provide stability: The Super Eagles have had three coaches in the past 3 years which isn't good enough for a side that wants to return to the summit of African football.

With the 2026 World Cup qualifiers and 2025 Africa Cup of Nations set to come later in the year, it is not a good time to let go of Peseiro.

It should be noted that should the NFF decide to bring in a new coach, he will only have the March International break to familiarize himself with the players before the next set of competitive fixtures.

Thus, the more reason why the Portugal-born coach must be kept.

3. Found solution to long-standing goalkeeping crisis: Before the start of AFCON, there was little confidence in the goalkeeping department of the team but Peseiro dared to start a relatively inexperienced Stanley Nwabali ahead of Francis Uzoho and it paid off massively.

While it can be argued that he should have long ditched the Omonia Nicosia goalkeeper, the fact that he was able to garner the courage to ditch him at the start of a major tournament deserves some commendation.

If he could find a solution to the goalkeeping crisis, who says he can't fix the other problems with the team?

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=50466

THREE REASONS WHY HE SHOULDN'T

I have nothing against him and it's not about his abilities or the lack. It's about finding the best available Nigerian coach (or consortium) and sticking with same. Paseiro may have tried to win because he needs to burnish his resume and to pad his bank account, but a Nigerian coach brings the extra element of national cause.

1) HIS MANDATE
That's a very low bar for a country like Nigeria, a country that should be shooting to be on par with the world powers.

2) PROVIDE STABILITY
This never comes up when there's a Nigerian coach but when a foreign coach is in charge, Nigerians suddenly discover the importance of stability. And after, the 2006 WC, they would need to retain him because of the next AFCON. So this qualification cycle would never end.

3) DISCOVERING NWABALI
When it comes to unearthing local talents, a Nigerian coach has the advantage over a foreign. Did Paseiro discover Nwabali or did somebody in the Nigerian setup bring his name up? Mind you some have brought up the fact that Nwabalii was in the Nigerian squad when they met Mexico in LA a few years ago so he probably was in somebody's radar and not a complete unknown.
Bell
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Wow na BP don come dey make sense like this? That was a lot of growing up o.
You other guys covering your ears and shouting "fire the coach" should heed his advice. He was in your very position not very long ago. He got his wish, but didn't like where it all ended up.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Not sure he can be described as clueless.

The final was a mess. Like the team hit a wall. And to be fair, Angola and SA had shown CIV how to counter our defensive 343. I expected a tweak, not to the formation, but to its execution but it didn’t come.

But we can’t fault a guy who was 30 mins from winning AFCON. That’s just nuts. He built a formidable defensive formation and was not really troubled until he got to the semis. He’s earned the right to keep the job.

But he has to show he can transform this team into an attacking force alongside it defensive solidity. He needs to show he can bring more than 3 men into the attacking phase without losing balance. And he needs to show he can add some attacking midfielders to the mix so we don’t have this truncation between the mid and the attack.
Last edited by waka-man on Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

greg wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:59 am Wow na BP don come dey make sense like this? That was a lot of growing up o.
You other guys covering your ears and shouting "fire the coach" should heed his advice. He was in your very position not very long ago. He got his wish, but didn't like where it all ended up.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
He is whooping their asses all by himself.
I’m impressed tbh.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "