Could not score against Ghana in 2 games to take us to the WC, one goal in 7 games at the AFCON

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Could not score against Ghana in 2 games to take us to the WC, one goal in 7 games at the AFCON

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Yeah I know, he puts pressure on defenses, blah blah blah di blah, but is not the primary job of a striker to score goals? 1 goal in 7 games at a major tournament as a striker! One! If he was a more reliable striker we would have appeared at the 2022 WC and we would have 4 AFCON trophies right now. Verdict: When the chips are down, Osimhen is not a reliable striker for Nigeria.

He should take time now before fans start calling him Osi-miss or Missi-mhen.
Last edited by Scipio Africanus on Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wha choo looking at?!
akamoke
Re: Could not score against Ghana in 2 games to take us to the WC, one goal in 7 games at the AFCON

Post by akamoke »

Based on current verdict, I cannot argue with that, of course things can change and he leads us to promised land but indeed for now his record needs improvement. He has the chance to improve on Yekini's record for Nigeria and I thought this AFCON tournament would have brought him closer, he did miss some chances too which is difficult to ractify if multiple chances go begging
He is still young so he has time in his favor
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Could not score against Ghana in 2 games to take us to the WC, one goal in 7 games at the AFCON

Post by Tobi17 »

And oh, before anyone brings up the "but we played defensive all tournament, and that's why Osimhen didn't score goals" argument, I believe there was an xG stat recently previewed on here (not sure who posted it) which showed that Nigeria was among the teams that created the most number of chances at this AFCON with shockingly poor conversion rates. And who did all these chances fall to? right from our first game against Equatorial Guinea we literally had post game threads complaining at the gilt edged chances Osimhen missed. Let's not even talk about the countless times he couldn't time his runs well and kept running into offside positions...so frustrating! this is a player who has played several years of top level football in Europe!

When we call out this problem his fan boys will attack you and remind you on how he "presses so well".. what then is the primary role of a striker if not to score GOALS?

Everybody came at Iwobi for having a bad game at the finals, yet the so-called "world class player" who failed to absolutely show up, much less register a single shot on target was conveniently exonerated cause he's the darling of Nigerian football. No wahala sha, let's keep lying to ourselves because of sentiments.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

But he scores for fun at his club. Why is that?
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

ohenhen1 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:43 am But he scores for fun at his club. Why is that?
Because in Napoli he doesn't play for a coach that does not know what it is to attack. For me it might be that I have adopted the old fashioned British way of valuing strikers that put in the effort even when the goals are not coming.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

AFCON 2021

Mohamed Salah - 2 goals
Sadio Mane - 1 goal. Reigning AFOY at that time.

Both teams made the final. Both players had won the AFOY.

You guys need to relax. I've noticed a pattern here of singling out certain players for harsh criticism by setting a higher bar for them while others sail under the radar.

Ighalo was our best striker in 2019, but he was hounded out of the team prematurely because we supposedly had all these young guns waiting on the sidelines to take over and do a better job. Ha! So, what happened? They did nothing! Zero! We had to go bring Ighalo back when it was already too late.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

ohenhen1 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:43 am But he scores for fun at his club. Why is that?
34 caps 21 goals. I would say he scores for fun for Nigeria as well.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Orion wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:33 am AFCON 2021

Mohamed Salah - 2 goals

You guys need to relax. I've noticed a pattern here of singling out certain players for harsh criticism by setting a higher bar for them while others sail under the radar.

Ighalo was our best striker in 2019, but he was hounded out of the team prematurely because we supposedly had all these young guns waiting on the sidelines to take over and do a better job. Ha! So, what happened? They did nothing! Zero! We had to go bring Ighalo back when it was already too late.
In 2004 the then reigning African footballer of the year, Samuel Eto scored only 1 goal.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:15 am Yeah I know, he puts pressure on defenses, blah blah blah di blah, but is not the primary job of a striker to score goals? 1 goal in 7 games at a major tournament as a striker! One! If he was a more reliable striker we would have appeared at the 2022 WC and we would have 4 AFCON trophies right now. Verdict: When the chips are down, Osimhen is not a reliable striker for Nigeria.
My brother you’re making too much sense but watch out for his fan boys. People like bush boy make it hard to zone in on Osimhen’s shortcomings as a striker. The guy has disappointed when we expected him to rise to the occasion. When we faced Ghana, I thought he would eat up Djiku and Amartey and I was wrong. When we faced Ivory Coast, I thought he would mop the floor with Boly & Kossonou who has played horribly all tournament and he disappointed again.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

packerland wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:19 am
Scipio Africanus wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:15 am Yeah I know, he puts pressure on defenses, blah blah blah di blah, but is not the primary job of a striker to score goals? 1 goal in 7 games at a major tournament as a striker! One! If he was a more reliable striker we would have appeared at the 2022 WC and we would have 4 AFCON trophies right now. Verdict: When the chips are down, Osimhen is not a reliable striker for Nigeria.
My brother you’re making too much sense but watch out for his fan boys. People like bush boy make it hard to zone in on Osimhen’s shortcomings as a striker. The guy has disappointed when we expected him to rise to the occasion. When we faced Ghana, I thought he would eat up Djiku and Amartey and I was wrong. When we faced Ivory Coast, I thought he would mop the floor with Boly & Kossonou who has played horribly all tournament and he disappointed again.
We are his fan boys for a reason. He gives his all for the team so he has credit in the bank. Those of you that want to dump on him because of a drought can feel free to do so.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Guys, for years Messi never scored in the knockout stages of a World Cup. Internation football is a different beast. I know Vic will still do it.

That said, I think he needs to start taking penalties for us. Scoring penalties is a way of building confidence.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...because he play with a collection of good and talented feeders :biggrin:
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

A player that has 20 goals in 27 matches for the SE, 3 goals in 4 matches for the U-23, 11 goals in 11 matches for the U-17.

You should start a comedy club, I'm sure people will find you funny.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

packerland wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:19 am
Leave dem. Remember Romario? That guy could not be accused of putting pressure on anybody. Laziest player on the field! :rotf: :rotf: But if that ball dares to come ANYWHERE near him, it is in the back of the net. No ifs, buts, or maybes. Now THAT was a striker! Give me that anytime instead of this "putting pressure on defense" nonsense.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Orion wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:33 am AFCON 2021

Mohamed Salah - 2 goals

Mohamed Salah has also underperformed for Egypt. But that's another story. Give me a lazy striker like Romario anytime. Always the laziest player on the field, but dare to bring that ball anywhere near him, and it is in the back of the net! No ifs, buts or maybes.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

naijaguy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:36 pm A player that has 20 goals in 27 matches for the SE, 3 goals in 4 matches for the U-23, 11 goals in 11 matches for the U-17.

You should start a comedy club, I'm sure people will find you funny.
You should look up the meaning of "when the chips are down". When has Osimhen ever single handedly pushed us over the edge with his goals in an important game?

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Tobi17 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:57 am And oh, before anyone brings up the "but we played defensive all tournament, and that's why Osimhen didn't score goals" argument, I believe there was an xG stat recently previewed on here (not sure who posted it) which showed that Nigeria was among the teams that created the most number of chances at this AFCON with shockingly poor conversion rates. And who did all these chances fall to? right from our first game against Equatorial Guinea we literally had post game threads complaining at the gilt edged chances Osimhen missed. Let's not even talk about the countless times he couldn't time his runs well and kept running into offside positions...so frustrating! this is a player who has played several years of top level football in Europe!

When we call out this problem his fan boys will attack you and remind you on how he "presses so well".. what then is the primary role of a striker if not to score GOALS?

Everybody came at Iwobi for having a bad game at the finals, yet the so-called "world class player" who failed to absolutely show up, much less register a single shot on target was conveniently exonerated cause he's the darling of Nigerian football. No wahala sha, let's keep lying to ourselves because of sentiments.
Exactly. I'm afraid Osimhen is overhyped. Like I said earlier in this thread, I remember Romario the Brazilian striker. Always the laziest player on the field but if that ball dares to come anywhere near him, it is in the back of the net! No ifs, buts or maybes. Give us a striker like that, not this "pressuring defenses" nonsense.

Wha choo looking at?!
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Weighing into the debate, without being particularly partisan, one would argue the clearcut chances weren’t as plentiful as presumed, though there were unforgivable misses. Regarding the “but he scores for fun for his club” statement, Napoli of last season were a far better footballing side than this Super Eagles.

In conclusion, yes, Osimhen should’ve scored more, but Nigeria were hardly an attacking force. Silver was fair reward for their defensive stalwart. Nil else.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Coach wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:53 pm Weighing into the debate, without being particularly partisan, one would argue the clearcut chances weren’t as plentiful as presumed, though there were unforgivable misses. Regarding the “but he scores for fun for his club” statement, Napoli of last season were a far better footballing side than this Super Eagles.

In conclusion, yes, Osimhen should’ve scored more, but Nigeria were hardly an attacking force. Silver was fair reward for their defensive stalwart. Nil else.
All the more reason to have a clinical striker. Osimhen is not it. All those missed free headers. Can you imagine Rossi or Schillaci scoring a single goal in a tournament for their ultra defensive sides and winning anything?

Wha choo looking at?!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Actually he doesn't. Not this year. He misses plenty of chances for Napoli, even last year when he was top scorer.

Anyways I said this long before anyone other than Bushboy, and of course was abused, as is always the case when you tell an inconvenient truth.

In fact I blame Osimehn for Peseiro changing formations, and for him playing coward football.

Had we beaten Equatorial Guinea 3 or 4-1 like our xgoals would have suggested, he likely would not have switched from the 433.

The reason we failed to beat EG was Osimehn.

The same Iwobi people abused for no assists and not being creative laid a sitter for Osimehn on a platter. The only game Iwobi played his real position.

Yet the chance was wasted, like flushing a winning lottery ticket down the drain.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:26 pm
Actually he doesn't. Not this year. He misses plenty of chances for Napoli, even last year when he was top scorer.

Anyways I said this long before anyone other than Bushboy, and of course was abused, as is always the case when you tell an inconvenient truth.

In fact I blame Osimehn for Peseiro changing formations, and for him playing coward football.

Had we beaten Equatorial Guinea 3 or 4-1 like our xgoals would have suggested, he likely would not have switched from the 433.

The reason we failed to beat EG was Osimehn.

The same Iwobi people abused for no assists and not being creative laid a sitter for Osimehn on a platter. The only game Iwobi played his real position.

Yet the chance was wasted, like flushing a winning lottery ticket down the drain.
2021 Mane 1 goal; 2004 Eto 1 goal. We won't allow this agenda to fly.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

These thread is crazy.

Osimhen was involved in virtually all of our goal scoring chances,,

Scored one
Created one
Won two penalties
Pressured a defender that led to an own goal.
Scored two goals that was ruled out by VAR.
'

How many chances were created by the midfield?

R

Typical Nigeria blaming the wrong people.

The guy was playing with a stomach virus.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

so many daft people on this forum, my goodness. This thread is laughable , the funny part are the jokers here thinking they are making sense 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 what a bunch of grown assssss wanna be bushboys, pure losers
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved