Segun ODEGAMI Denounces colonial Mentality and calls for Nigerian-born Manager for SE....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Segun ODEGAMI Denounces colonial Mentality and calls for Nigerian-born Manager for SE....

Post by Enugu II »

Super Eagles: Odegbami tells NFF who to appoint as Peseiro’s replacement
Published on March 2, 2024By Don Silas
https://dailypost.ng/2024/03/02/super-e ... e_vignette

Former Nigeria international, Segun Odegbami, has called on the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), to look inward for an indigenous coach to handle the Super Eagles.

Odegbami made the call in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Saturday in Lagos.
Recall that Jose Peseiro had in a farewell message on his official X handle on Friday, thanked the NFF and other stakeholders for the opportunity given him to serve.

The likes of Emmanuel Amuneke, Sunday Oliseh and Augustine Eguavoen have all been linked with the Super Eagles job following Peseiro’s departure.

Speaking on the development, Odegbami said:

“Unless we want to be enslaved forever, in our colonial mentality where we think that only the white can coach us to success.

“All around us, we hear about some Nigerians who are excelling in all fields of endeavours and they are leaving the country to go and help other countries.

“Football is not a rocket science, but a simple game, we have lots of Nigerians who have all the qualifications to take us to any level.

“For me, I won’t suffer from colonial mentality again and enough of foreign coaches, now, it’s time for a Nigerian Coach to handle our national team.”

He added, “Peseiro did not resign as the story is being peddled, his contract ended and it was not renewed, end of story.”
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Segun ODEGAMI Denounces colonial Mentality and calls for Nigerian-born Manager for SE....

Post by ohenhen1 »

Nothing more to add.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Segun ODEGAMI Denounces colonial Mentality and calls for Nigerian-born Manager for SE....

Post by ohenhen1 »

Should pin this thread.

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

He should go and apply for the job. He will be the first to undermine the local coach once he disagrees with his "expert" opinion on any issue.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...at the end of the day they will hire their usual oyinbo journey man and everyone will fall in line when he start speaking him version of oyinbo and many wey never seen oyinbo go dey bow to the man, dem go dey carry him bag, some go even dey wash him laundry with dem hands.
But make una careful with pressure on the fa inept thieves, when their hands is forced to hire a local guy, dem go frustrating him from the get go, dem go say well, "una wan local coach, see now".
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Nigerians do things the hard way. Eventually this WOWO craze will stop. They will not have any other choice.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:15 am Nigerians do things the hard way. Eventually this WOWO craze will stop. They will not have any other choice.
:rotf: :rotf: Not so fast!! There is actually another angle that dismisses the idea of a local manager. I had it all thought out yesterday and will post it for comments when it is ready.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

1naija wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:57 am He should go and apply for the job. He will be the first to undermine the local coach once he disagrees with his "expert" opinion on any issue.
Exactly. He always has something to say.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Babadee
Egg
Egg

Post by Babadee »

At this rate Nigeria might not qualify for World Cup.

They need to give either Finidi ,Amueke or any other coach.

The main Problem is the Nigerian fans. They only value coaches after they are resigned or sacked. Also NFF does not play their coaches. who will like to work without pay?.

Most ppl complaining about Pesiro, he was unpaid for 90% of the time and took a pay cut again.

Who will be happy to take a pay cut?
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

It's not just about local or foreign coach or colonial mentality, there's also exposure and competence. Get a cook currently cooking in a backyard with thatched roof cover, clay pots and firewood. He will bang out excellent efo riro, gbegiri, afang, ofe onugbu, jollof rice etc. Now put the same cook in a modern kitchen with wolf appliances where he has to deliver recipes that require slow cooking, steam ovens with crisp functions etc. He would flame out, not because he's not a good cook but because he doesn't have the exposure and experience to deliver in that environment. He may even burn the house down. Another analogy is taking an excellent teacher using a blackboard and chalk in open air to teach kids and put that same teacher in an classroom with smart boards, smart temp controls, innovative designs, storage solutions, worktop materials suited to subjects etc. That teacher will not be as effective. So it's not just white or nigerian coach, if we have the locals to do the job, that's fine but looking outside is not because of colo-mentality.

I've always thought all these colo-mentality talk is some form of coping method as locals are seen as better suited for maladministration and corruption.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

felarey wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:00 am It's not just about local or foreign coach or colonial mentality, there's also exposure and competence. Get a cook currently cooking in a backyard with thatched roof cover, clay pots and firewood. He will bang out excellent efo riro, gbegiri, afang, ofe onugbu, jollof rice etc. Now put the same cook in a modern kitchen with wolf appliances where he has to deliver recipes that require slow cooking, steam ovens with crisp functions etc. He would flame out, not because he's not a good cook but because he doesn't have the exposure and experience to deliver in that environment. He may even burn the house down. Another analogy is taking an excellent teacher using a blackboard and chalk in open air to teach kids and put that same teacher in an classroom with smart boards, smart temp controls, innovative designs, storage solutions, worktop materials suited to subjects etc. That teacher will not be as effective. So it's not just white or nigerian coach, if we have the locals to do the job, that's fine but looking outside is not because of colo-mentality.

I've always thought all these colo-mentality talk is some form of coping method as locals are seen as better suited for maladministration and corruption.
I like this cooking analogy.
Apart from what you’ve said, let’s say this same great local cook is asked to cater for an international audience at an event. Even if she kind of manages to work with the shiny new gadgets provided, what is she going to do to win over the international clientele?
She needs to upgrade her skills and then adapt.
Amala and gbegiri will not work in the restaurant at The Hague or the UN. :rotf:

We plan on going to and fighting for the World Cup, nothing less.
I’m wondering how much upgrading our so-called ‘top’ coaches are doing.
Amuneke hasn’t even been in a decent job for….how long now? :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The problem is that people mistakenly arrogate football a status that it does not have even when imagined. Football is not sophisticated. Sure, there are many things about it that no human can control. You control only the little parts that are controllable and part isn't that much nor is it sophisticated. A key aspect is managing the personalities involved in the play and that has very little to deal with the far less complex aspects such as tactics. That management of personalities is what Keshi had in abundance and I believe other local coaches are not bereft of that ability. The tactical aspects are much less com o lex and more easily acquired by everyone including those in Lesotho, Tahiti, and wherever including Agbo ozegu in Inyi.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

felarey wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:00 am It's not just about local or foreign coach or colonial mentality, there's also exposure and competence. Get a cook currently cooking in a backyard with thatched roof cover, clay pots and firewood. He will bang out excellent efo riro, gbegiri, afang, ofe onugbu, jollof rice etc. Now put the same cook in a modern kitchen with wolf appliances where he has to deliver recipes that require slow cooking, steam ovens with crisp functions etc. He would flame out, not because he's not a good cook but because he doesn't have the exposure and experience to deliver in that environment. He may even burn the house down. Another analogy is taking an excellent teacher using a blackboard and chalk in open air to teach kids and put that same teacher in an classroom with smart boards, smart temp controls, innovative designs, storage solutions, worktop materials suited to subjects etc. That teacher will not be as effective. So it's not just white or nigerian coach, if we have the locals to do the job, that's fine but looking outside is not because of colo-mentality.

...2 very deferring issues or analogy.
Remember the local coach will be dealing with Nigeria (born) players as per language and directions, while your cook from the thatched corner mama-put will be serving foreign audience from his state of the art kitchen in Hague or elsewhere.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Felarey

Your analogy tells me something -- your focus us on process rather than outcomes. If you are concerned with outcomes such as winning trophies, why should you bother about the process? Today, the process at Man "City is not the same as elsewhere but Man Vity has not dominating winning trophies in Europe? Have they?

Look, I am not bothered about the methods of the cokks in your analogy but I sure am about their meals.

Moreover, let's be more direct. What exactly will these journeymen Europeans produce than likes if Finidi George has not witnessed
He in fact has done it at far higher levels than the journeymen Europeans often hired by our NFF. I use Fimidi as an example here but that can be used for others including Amuneke.

The fact us the only difference is the clorr if the skin. Let's call a spade a SPADE.

Will the likes if Finidi, Oliseh, and Amuneke be discriminated against in their only country? That is the ultimate question.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:20 pm

Felarey

Your analogy tells me something -- your focus us on process rather than outcomes. If you are concerned with outcomes such as winning trophies, why should you bother about the process? Today, the process at Man "City is not the same as elsewhere but Man Vity has not dominating winning trophies in Europe? Have they?

Look, I am not bothered about the methods of the cokks in your analogy but I sure am about their meals.

Moreover, let's be more direct. What exactly will these journeymen Europeans produce than likes if Finidi George has not witnessed
He in fact has done it at far higher levels than the journeymen Europeans often hired by our NFF. I use Fimidi as an example here but that can be used for others including Amuneke.

The fact us the only difference is the clorr if the skin. Let's call a spade a SPADE.

Will the likes if Finidi, Oliseh, and Amuneke be discriminated against in their only country? That is the ultimate question.
For a professor I am a little surprised how easily you downplay the cerebral aspects of coaching.
Seriously.

Even your use of the word ‘discrimination’ is disingenuous.
I guess every applicant for a job that doesn’t actually get the job due to straightforward criteria such as qualifications, experience and other soft skills are victims of …”discrimination”?

Let me put you on the hot seat.
May I ask Prof, what your criteria would be as NFF Chairman for choosing a Super Eagles coach?
Is it just about the green passport?
Remember you have the expectations of 200m Nigerians on your shoulders which counts for something.
Would you really want to just go with your personal sentiments, dismissive of every other argument as you have demonstrated so often here?

You may not have to agree with us, but you really have not made a strong case for hiring a local coach apart from a sentimental one.
We love Amuneke, Finidi and Oliseh, but that love comes from their playing days, not their coaching days.
So far, none of them has proven why they should be given the exalted SE coaching job other than the fact that they are Nigerians.

Which is cool…but might come back to bite you on the yansh.
And Nigerians no go spare you, Prof, even though we will stand by you because we know the error woulda been made in good faith. :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

I agree with you. I want the best coach. I only object when local coaches are treated poorly. We should certainly consider our top local coaches but we should strive for the best coach that we can get
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:44 pm

Felarey

For a professor I am a little surprised how easily you downplay the cerebral aspects of coaching.
Seriously.

Even your use of the word ‘discrimination’ is disingenuous.
I guess every applicant for a job that doesn’t actually get the job due to straightforward criteria such as qualifications, experience and other soft skills are victims of …”discrimination”?

Let me put you on the hot seat.
May I ask Prof, what your criteria would be as NFF Chairman for choosing a Super Eagles coach?
Is it just about the green passport?
Remember you have the expectations of 200m Nigerians on your shoulders which counts for something.
Would you really want to just go with your personal sentiments, dismissive of every other argument as you have demonstrated so often here?

You may not have to agree with us, but you really have not made a strong case for hiring a local coach apart from a sentimental one.
We love Amuneke, Finidi and Oliseh, but that love comes from their playing days, not their coaching days.
So far, none of them has proven why they should be given the exalted SE coaching job other than the fact that they are Nigerians.

Which is cool…but might come back to bite you on the yansh.
And Nigerians no go spare you, Prof, even though we will stand by you because we know the error woulda been made in good faith. :D
Damunk,

First let me state that the issue of discrimination is not thrown around willfully. It is discrimination when persons who are just as qualified are not even interviewed or hired. What else do you think is discrimination? In the past when Nigeria Federation went around and stated that they wanted to hire only a foreigner as the national coach, what exactly do you think that implies? Does it imply to you an objective, nondiscriminatory, and fair criteria? Or is it a discriminatory one? Please do not avoid that question because I want you to answer it to the awareness of all of us on this site.

Now, I just checked the dictionary for the meaning of cerebral (LOL) so that no one accuses me of coming up with my own definition. Here it is:

What does being cerebral mean?
intelligent
intelligent and serious, and enjoying serious thought rather than emotion: His problem wasn't his policies; it was his personality. He was simply too cerebral and too out of touch with Middle America. Thesaurus: synonyms, antonyms, and examples.4 days ago

Are you implying that no Nigerian coach qualifies as cerebral? I ask?

Now to your question: If I was today the NFF President. I will certainly consider being Nigerian as part of the criterion among other criteria. In essence, I will likely hire a Nigerian if his qualification was similar to on e from England. However, I will not hire a Nigerian simply because he is Nigerian if he was to fall short on other criteria.

You may not have noticed, I actually support Peseiro staying on the job. Why? Because his record showed that he deserved to continue on the job. Now that he decided to quit and the job is vacant, I am strongly in favor of a Nigerian-born Manager because I believe they are no less qualified than Nigeria has hired in the recent past including at the point of hiring Gernot Rohr or the hiring of Jose Peseiro.

Damunk, but are you really in a position to solely decide whether or not I have put up a strong case? I do not believe that you are remotely in a position to make such a decision. That is the prerogative of the entire CE audience and not that of an individual; Moreover, the case that I make reflects my opinion. You may have your own opinion and remember that I do not have to agree with that either. what we both are in the business of attempting is to influence opinions of majority of others. That is really the bottomline.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Babadee wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:39 am At this rate Nigeria might not qualify for World Cup.

They need to give either Finidi ,Amueke or any other coach.

The main Problem is the Nigerian fans. They only value coaches after they are resigned or sacked. Also NFF does not play their coaches. who will like to work without pay?.

Most ppl complaining about Pesiro, he was unpaid for 90% of the time and took a pay cut again.

Who will be happy to take a pay cut?
You may be right. But where is your proof that he was unpaid 90 percent of the time?

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:26 pm The problem is that people mistakenly arrogate football a status that it does not have even when imagined. Football is not sophisticated. Sure, there are many things about it that no human can control. You control only the little parts that are controllable and part isn't that much nor is it sophisticated. A key aspect is managing the personalities involved in the play and that has very little to deal with the far less complex aspects such as tactics. That management of personalities is what Keshi had in abundance and I believe other local coaches are not bereft of that ability. The tactical aspects are much less com o lex and more easily acquired by everyone including those in Lesotho, Tahiti, and wherever including Agbo ozegu in Inyi.
Chief, this is like saying there's no difference between butchered meat and cutting meat in pieces the way we do it at our markets back home. Butchered meat is dry aged, comes with a quality and cut according to specific uses, the skill required account for tenderness for the cut. You could say this is not sophisticated but in truth, a meat cutter like most of us just take subprimals and make them into smaller pieces.
Managing personalities is critical but when you're chasing continental and worldwide glory, you will come up against some of the best in the business. Managing a national team unlike a clubside is even more complicated as you select players that don't regularly play together so your exposure in terms of modern methods and tactics is greater. For a long time we got away with it in Africa but as we saw in the last 2 months, it is not just enough to field players from top footballing countries against minnows and expect a win. If you're not updated, you will be exposed. It's ok for us fans to learn in realtime but not for a coach in charge.
If you want to manage Bassey's personality effectively, imagine trying to bond with him and he's telling you his stats on touch trainer and smart targets, while you're trying to google what he's talking about. Your effectiveness is lacking even though he'll still play cos you're the coach.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

mcal wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:08 pm

...2 very deferring issues or analogy.
Remember the local coach will be dealing with Nigeria (born) players as per language and directions, while your cook from the thatched corner mama-put will be serving foreign audience from his state of the art kitchen in Hague or elsewhere.
Nigeria (born) players like Ekong, Bassey, Aina, Lookman etc.?? Things are different nowadays. That cook will be going in to compete against chefs in state of the art kitchens.

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Felarey

I agree 100% that where Nigerians are available, they should be given the opportunity. Truth is, our NFF does well giving Nigerians this opportunity but unfortunately don't offer the same working conditions. So maybe that's where the discrimination is. But the point remains, we need to go get someone at the right level and exposure, for now that pool is much larger with foreigners.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

felarey wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:52 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:26 pm The problem is that people mistakenly arrogate football a status that it does not have even when imagined. Football is not sophisticated. Sure, there are many things about it that no human can control. You control only the little parts that are controllable and part isn't that much nor is it sophisticated. A key aspect is managing the personalities involved in the play and that has very little to deal with the far less complex aspects such as tactics. That management of personalities is what Keshi had in abundance and I believe other local coaches are not bereft of that ability. The tactical aspects are much less com o lex and more easily acquired by everyone including those in Lesotho, Tahiti, and wherever including Agbo ozegu in Inyi.
Chief, this is like saying there's no difference between butchered meat and cutting meat in pieces the way we do it at our markets back home. Butchered meat is dry aged, comes with a quality and cut according to specific uses, the skill required account for tenderness for the cut. You could say this is not sophisticated but in truth, a meat cutter like most of us just take subprimals and make them into smaller pieces.
Managing personalities is critical but when you're chasing continental and worldwide glory, you will come up against some of the best in the business. Managing a national team unlike a clubside is even more complicated as you select players that don't regularly play together so your exposure in terms of modern methods and tactics is greater. For a long time we got away with it in Africa but as we saw in the last 2 months, it is not just enough to field players from top footballing countries against minnows and expect a win. If you're not updated, you will be exposed. It's ok for us fans to learn in realtime but not for a coach in charge.
If you want to manage Bassey's personality effectively, imagine trying to bond with him and he's telling you his stats on touch trainer and smart targets, while you're trying to google what he's talking about. Your effectiveness is lacking even though he'll still play cos you're the coach.

You're talking to someone who has never fully believed that coaches are important in football...and that their role is grossly overstated.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp