Nigeria to play friendlies against Mali and Ghana in Marrakesh

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: SE list for March Friendlies - Osho & Tanimu new names

Post by Damunk »

Damunk wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:39 pm
wiseone wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:28 pm His name is Taminu and he plays for Bendel Insurance.
Damunk wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:18 pm The Tianimu guy ….cant find anything online but I’ve geared his name mentioned a lot.
Okay, but why is everyone spelling his name ‘Tianimu’?
Even on the official lists.
Anyway, it’s probably a ‘Mikel’ kind of error.
so we were both wrong.
It’s ‘Tanimu’ - from his own twitter page.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Damunk wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:03 pm
wiseone wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:28 pm His name is Taminu and he plays for Bendel Insurance.
Damunk wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:18 pm The Tianimu guy ….cant find anything online but I’ve geared his name mentioned a lot.
so we were both wrong.

This is a crime. We have Benjamin Frederick at Brentford, Torunarigha, Ogbu and Ndah but it’s Tianimu in who just got to Tanzania that gets a call. If he was Hausa this forum would blow up. This is an injustice.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria to play friendlies against Mali and Ghana in Marrakesh

Post by Tobi17 »

I rarely give NFF credit om anything, but Kudos to them on this one...

Finidi might likely be in charge of the games I guess...
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

wiseone wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:04 pm Good squad.

Notable omissions: Chukwueze, Moffi, Ogbu, and Orban (what does he have to do in order to get into the team?)

Surprising inclusions: Sadiq, Dessers, and Taminu

Very odd that Sadiq (who is a reserve at Sociedad) was picked but Moffi and Orban (who are first 11 starters at their clubs) were excluded.

Chukwueze has been playing garbage despite all the opportunities he has had to redeem himself. He doesn’t deserve a call up again. His performance for Nigeria shows exactly why he can’t get a game ahead of pulisic
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

Sadiq. Awoniyi. Dessers. Over Moffi and Akor is shameful.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

bushboy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:04 pm Sadiq. Awoniyi. Dessers. Over Moffi and Akor is shameful.
When last did Akor score a goal? you this shameless jinx master
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Overall it's a decent squad. Glad to see Osho, Dele-Bashiru, and Tella. Also happy there are 6 midfielders in the squad. Dele-Bashiru is a CM/AM that can also play as a winger.

Would have gone with the following instead:

Nwobodo or Matthew for Ndidi (Ndidi is just recovering from injury).
Ejuke for Kelechi (Kelechi isn't playing much for Leicester).
Okoye for Uzoho
Osayi or Obasogie for Ojo
Moffi for Sadiq

Dessers is in good form. His inclusion is justified.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

New player that the scribes of the team list are not familiar with. Hence the “anyhow” spelling.
Damunk wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:39 pm Okay, but why is everyone spelling his name ‘Tianimu’?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

so we were both wrong.

Tanimu has been long overdue for an invitation given consistent reports about his play for Insurance. I like the fact that he is called up for the managers to take a close look. I love it!!!!!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:48 pm
so we were both wrong.

Tanimu has been long overdue for an invitation given consistent reports about his play for Insurance. I like the fact that he is called up for the managers to take a close look. I love it!!!!!
As long as he shuts up the cynics, no problem.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:06 pm
so we were both wrong.

As long as he shuts up the cynics, no problem.
Damunk,

For me, it is important to give opportunity to deserving players including those playing at home. It is important to build a strong MT. No good player should be excluded simply because they do not play in Europe. We found a goalie after years doodling with substandard goalkeepers simply because they are based in Europe. So this lad has an opportunity. Let him come to camp and show whether he belongs. That is all that is asked.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:30 pm Tanzanian league has been improving.

Interesting that we are playing Mali. Could be some backroom diplomacy going on.

Ohenhen1,

The lad just went to the Tanzanian league and I believe two of his other club mates also left for somewhere in the Middle East. This was about earning certainty in pay. As you probably know Tanzanian clubs - there are two of them -- that have recently recruited continent wide as they challenge in the continent. Nevertheless, Tanimu is o stranger at all to those who follow the NPFL. Ofcourse, I understand that those who narrowly focus on Europe will have absolutely no clue who Tanimu is. He was the stalwart in the Insurance defense that had been stingy in the last couple of years and many had hoped that he will receive a call up to the SE but we know the SE does not call up local players. In any case follow the thread on Cybereagles that reports regularly on the NPFL and if nothing else, you may learn more about some of the players in the weekly XI posted on there. Tanimu is no stranger, at all!

Just to help those narrowly focused on Europe: Please go to the thread on NPFL and se Sunset's post on Week 2 XI for the NPFL. You will notice Tanimu listed at centerback. Here is a link: viewtopic.php?p=5919095#p5919095
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
EIGHT (8) From AFCON SQUAD ABSENT FROM LIST for Friendlies

Post by Enugu II »

DISCUSS........
That is 33% (?) give and take of the AFCON squad

MISSING
1. William Ekong
2. Zaidu Sanusi
3. Ola Aina
4. Samuel Chukwueze
5. Terem Moffi
6. Joseph Aribo
7. Paul Onuachu
8. Ahmed Musa
Last edited by Enugu II on Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: EIGHT (8) From AFCON SQUAD ABSENT ON LIST for Friendlies

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:32 am DISCUSS........

MISSING
1. William Ekong
2. Zaidu Sanusi
3. Ola Aina
4. Samuel Chukwueze
5. Terem Moffi
6. Joseph Aribo
7. Paul Onuachu
8. Ahmed Musa
3 injured.
3 undeserving (one of whom was a last minute AFCON call-up)
1 off form and underperforming.
1 inexplicable.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

MISSING
1. William Ekong
2. Zaidu Sanusi
3. Ola Aina
4. Samuel Chukwueze
5. Terem Moffi
6. Joseph Aribo
7. Paul Onuachu
8. Ahmed Musa
Aina, Ekong and Sanusi are injured, all mainstay players when fit so they are good.

Moffi exclusion makes no sense except he asked to be excused, a player who should be ahead the likes of Iheanacho and Sadiq...same way he was a late minute call up at the AFCON, except it's for non-footballing reasons I'll never understand the deal with NFF and this guy

Aribo is at this point a bench player at best, I really like the guy but he has fallen off the pecking order and it won't come as a surprise if he's phased out under a new coach who might not rate him. To be fair, he has been in good form lately at Southampton and I hope he turns it ar.

Chukwueze, don't know what's wrong with this guy honestly...has bags of talent but I just get the feeling he doesn't want to play football. He has time to turn it around, but with the likes of Ejuke and Tella around...I fear he might be another stand-by player at best.

Ahmed Musa is yesterday's news, I honestly want to believe the insane Musa experiment now officially ends after the AFCON. The less said the better about this guy.

Paul Onuachu has never been a mainstay player, he had no reason even making the AFCON squad even as a last minute call up, I wonder why he's even listed here?
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

so we were both wrong.

Of course you will love it just like you did when Ndah was invited only to now backtrack and claim you were not too keen on Ndah’s invitation.
Your comments are on threads enthusiastically supporting the call-up of Ndah!
I am happy
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:38 am Ahmed Musa is yesterday's news, I honestly want to believe the insane Musa experiment now officially ends after the AFCON. The less said the better about this guy.
Yep. I hope this is the end of that nonsense. If they keep inviting Musa, we won't qualify for the WC. His presence embodies the rot and corruption in the system. You have to root out the decay to move forward.

I don't see how his invitation did any good during the last AFCON. You had a captain who was playing his heart out on the pitch, knowing that if we won the cup, some dude who was no longer an active player in the team would be the one to lift it and not him. That can't be good. I know people talk of Keshi in '94, but he was still an active player in the team then, just not a starter.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: EIGHT (8) From AFCON SQUAD ABSENT FROM LIST for Friendlies

Post by Enugu II »

MISSING
1. William Ekong
2. Zaidu Sanusi
3. Ola Aina
4. Samuel Chukwueze
5. Terem Moffi
6. Joseph Aribo
7. Paul Onuachu
8. Ahmed Musa
Add Nwabali as likely absent with late injury in recent league game.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Musa will be there when it matters the most; he will be there for the WC
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Orion wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:33 am
Tobi17 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:38 am Ahmed Musa is yesterday's news, I honestly want to believe the insane Musa experiment now officially ends after the AFCON. The less said the better about this guy.
Yep. I hope this is the end of that nonsense. If they keep inviting Musa, we won't qualify for the WC. His presence embodies the rot and corruption in the system. You have to root out the decay to move forward.

I don't see how his invitation did any good during the last AFCON. You had a captain who was playing his heart out on the pitch, knowing that if we won the cup, some dude who was no longer an active player in the team would be the one to lift it and not him. That can't be good. I know people talk of Keshi in '94, but he was still an active player in the team then, just not a starter.
You guys never learn :lol:

Remember when Pesseiro stopped inviting Musa and there was public display of elation and jubilation? Almost as resounding as that night on the streets of Nigeria on June 8, 1998? And then when it was time for tournament, they sneaked him back in? Just when we thought he was out? They pulled him back in? :lol: If we qualify for the next AFCON and World Cup, Musa will be in the squad.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ANC wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:01 pm Musa will be there when it matters the most; he will be there for the WC
Yup! dem no dey learn. :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:32 pm
ANC wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:01 pm Musa will be there when it matters the most; he will be there for the WC
Yup! dem no dey learn. :lol: :lol:
This is what I refer to about the unholy union called Nigeria.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:31 pm
Orion wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:33 am

You guys never learn :lol:

Remember when Pesseiro stopped inviting Musa and there was public display of elation and jubilation? Almost as resounding as that night on the streets of Nigeria on June 8, 1998? And then when it was time for tournament, they sneaked him back in? Just when we thought he was out? They pulled him back in? :lol: If we qualify for the next AFCON and World Cup, Musa will be in the squad.
If I am in Musa's shoes, he should simply make an announcement and call it quits. If it requires a celebratory moment then so be it but it is time.