"FULL LIST": All the top coaches who applied for Super Eagles job

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: "FULL LIST": All the top coaches who applied for Super Eagles job

Post by danfo driver »

amafolas wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:49 pm
Damunk wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:45 pm
from this interview, he's not a Yes for me. he seems to be lacking something that Stephen Keshi had in abundance. he's lacking the self belief that nigerians are plenty good enough at the world stage. He comes across like he has internalized "inferiority of nigerian soccer at the world stage". Same problem Rohr had. But even worse than than Rohr, there seems to be some internalized racism in the way he thinks. Nigerian "should play attacking dominating football athe Africa stage, but should then be flexible at the world stage" That tells you a lot of what he things of African teams, and what he thinks of Nigeria at the world stage.
If you dont believe in yourself. no-one will. If you don't genuinely believe in your heart that Nigeria should be able to go toe to toe with any fotballing nation, the SE job shouldnt be for you. For all his flaws. Having swagger in being Nigerian and confident in his lads and craft (not technical competence) is what made keshi succsessful as a coach. Nigeria does not need a coach that defeats himself before match even starts.
Talk about hearing and not listening. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Damunk wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:27 pm
from this interview, he's not a Yes for me. he seems to be lacking something that Stephen Keshi had in abundance. he's lacking the self belief that nigerians are plenty good enough at the world stage. He comes across like he has internalized "inferiority of nigerian soccer at the world stage". Same problem Rohr had. But even worse than than Rohr, there seems to be some internalized racism in the way he thinks. Nigerian "should play attacking dominating football athe Africa stage, but should then be flexible at the world stage" That tells you a lot of what he things of African teams, and what he thinks of Nigeria at the world stage.
If you dont believe in yourself. no-one will. If you don't genuinely believe in your heart that Nigeria should be able to go toe to toe with any fotballing nation, the SE job shouldnt be for you. For all his flaws. Having swagger in being Nigerian and confident in his lads and craft (not technical competence) is what made keshi succsessful as a coach. Nigeria does not need a coach that defeats himself before match even starts.
He doesn’t come across to me that way at all.
I hear someone who wants to come across as being honest and realistic.
I’m not saying he’s The Man, but I don’t feel what you are feeling.

They should interview Finidi and Amuneke for comparison.
I don’t think they will be any less realistic.
Yup! And thats what I said in my first post is going to rub the NFF and Nigerians the wrong way. Nigerians do not know how to handle honesty. They live in lala land and anyone who wants to be honest with them will be demonized. Like clockwork, Amofalas proved my point. He didnt see where the guy spoke about us doing well to win silver, but he felt we should have been so much more better and shouldnt let teams dominate us.

The guy is telling you that in Africa we should be so good that we dominate any team. However, we also have to be very flexible with our approach, and when we meet teams that are clearly better than us, we should be strategic enough to play a different tactic that will highlight our strengths and help us defeat our opponent. dude!! in life you can NEVER be better than everybody in everything. You need to accept that. He used those teams as examples! Those teams are PRESENTLY better than us. That is a fact and you have to be in the most severe self-denial not to accept that. We all saw how Xabi played Bayern in his first season and how he plays them now. Or how Arteta played City in his first 3-4 years at Arsenal and how he plays them now. You have to be honest and straightforward with yourself and thereafter, try to build yourself to the level you aspire to be.

Anyway, whatever. Hopefully, the NFF make a mistake and do the right thing. However, if they do what I expect them to do, I will leave the team for them and the likes of Amofalas. I am sure what you people are secretly hoping for is your usual Class of '94, who know nothing about football but "wing play! Wing play! 4-4-2" and 'egunje!" Tueh!!! :oops: :roll: :-x
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

:???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:

Pls watch the interview again.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:46 pm Hopefully, the NFF make a mistake and do the right thing.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
This is a classic.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:46 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:27 pm
He doesn’t come across to me that way at all.
I hear someone who wants to come across as being honest and realistic.
I’m not saying he’s The Man, but I don’t feel what you are feeling.

They should interview Finidi and Amuneke for comparison.
I don’t think they will be any less realistic.
Yup! And thats what I said in my first post is going to rub the NFF and Nigerians the wrong way. Nigerians do not know how to handle honesty. They live in lala land and anyone who wants to be honest with them will be demonized. Like clockwork, Amofalas proved my point. He didnt see where the guy spoke about us doing well to win silver, but he felt we should have been so much more better and shouldnt let teams dominate us.

The guy is telling you that in Africa we should be so good that we dominate any team. However, we also have to be very flexible with our approach, and when we meet teams that are clearly better than us, we should be strategic enough to play a different tactic that will highlight our strengths and help us defeat our opponent. dude!! in life you can NEVER be better than everybody in everything. You need to accept that. He used those teams as examples! Those teams are PRESENTLY better than us. That is a fact and you have to be in the most severe self-denial not to accept that. We all saw how Xabi played Bayern in his first season and how he plays them now. Or how Arteta played City in his first 3-4 years at Arsenal and how he plays them now. You have to be honest and straightforward with yourself and thereafter, try to build yourself to the level you aspire to be.

Anyway, whatever. Hopefully, the NFF make a mistake and do the right thing. However, if they do what I expect them to do, I will leave the team for them and the likes of Amofalas. I am sure what you people are secretly hoping for is your usual Class of '94, who know nothing about football but "wing play! Wing play! 4-4-2" and 'egunje!" Tueh!!! :oops: :roll: :-x
You share his mentality too per the part in bold. There's something deeply troubling about that mentality for me. Either you respect all opponents, but this selective respecting and selective disrespecting on the basis of Africans reeks of deeply internalized racism. I am not here to judge his technical competence or drive, or coaching ability. If he had advocated for being flexible, i woudl have lauded. But the idea that we should dominate africa and be "flexible" reeks of lack of confidence. I really really miss Keshi.
Frankly, I would take a less technical coach with more self-belief and self-confidence. Not one who seems to have internalized inferiority of African folks. There are other subtle evidence of that mentality in this interview.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Two things strike me from this interview and I list them below, before I share my view:

1. His preference for quota in invitation of players : He has the view that there is nothing wrong with using a quota system but makes it clear that this is meaningful when you invite a large number of players in the first place. This view, is by no means new. The NFF has, in the past, noted that there is no need inviting 23 FB players for a 23-player camp given that only 16 or so can play in a given official game and what the budget imposes on such a number. While I do not necessarily share this view, I can understand the rationale behind it.

2. The persistent living-in-the-past per American soccer: I am glad the interviewers asked a question that I strongly believe most Nigerians will have at the back of their mind -- why hire a coach from America? Who be America for soccer? Yet, the USA has consistently ranked ahead of Nigeria in soccer for over a decade and counting but it seems most are stuck in the 1970s! There is indeed more that Nigeria can learn from America in soccer if we are to analyze who needs to learn from whom at the country-analytical level.

In my view, he should be a strong candidate not based on this interview but his background and his accomplishments so far. I prefer his type way better than the sort of journeymen coaches Nigeria tends to hire from Europe, often based on the European country's historical accomplishment in soccer. This guy seems to me to be a person who will be more dedicated to Nigerian football and not just a fly-by European soccer mercenary.

I hope that the usual Nigerian mentality that often engulfs our NFF sorts when it comes to hiring SE coaches does not take over and the pecuniary reasons do not become the principal factor.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

How about M. Nsien being an assistant to Amunike? He gets to soak up the Nigerian coaching atmosphere, the unique NFF approach, and work with a coach(Amunike) used to, and appreciative of modern analytical methods. Amunike was a member of a FIFA WC technical study group. Both relatively young coaches reeking with ambition, and drive to make name, and history! I think Nsien as the head coach at this juncture would be too much a clash of expectations, and culture given the paucity of NFF's resources, and off-field dynamics.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

OJI wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:22 am How about M. Nsien being an assistant to Amunike? He gets to soak up the Nigerian coaching atmosphere, the unique NFF approach, and work with a coach(Amunike) used to, and appreciative of modern analytical methods. Amunike was a member of a FIFA WC technical study group.

WIll the U.S U19 hire Amunike? :rotf: :rotf:
Both relatively young coaches
Amunike is 54 years old. He has been coaching for 16 years. :lol:
reeking with ambition,
Maybe in our dreams. A coach reeking of ambition and these are the teams he has coached:

Julius Berger
Ocean Boys
Nigeria U17
Al Khartoum
Tanzania
Misr Lel Makkasa
Zanaco

He also spends his days being a hanger-on, hoping to be given a job on a platter - rather than going out there and competing with his age mates - Guardiola, Klopp, Poch, Tuchel, Ten Hag. These are his age mates! :oops: :oops:
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:35 am
OJI wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:22 am How about M. Nsien being an assistant to Amunike? He gets to soak up the Nigerian coaching atmosphere, the unique NFF approach, and work with a coach(Amunike) used to, and appreciative of modern analytical methods. Amunike was a member of a FIFA WC technical study group.

reeking with ambition,
Maybe in our dreams. A coach reeking of ambition and these are the teams he has coached:

Julius Berger
Ocean Boys
Nigeria U17
Al Khartoum
Tanzania
Misr Lel Makkasa
Zanaco

He also spends his days being a hanger-on, hoping to be given a job on a platter - rather than going out there and competing with his age mates - Guardiola, Klopp, Poch, Tuchel, Ten Hag. These are his age mates! :oops: :oops:
You must be sincere and preface the context of African/Nigerian coaches as they have limited, serious opportunities in their own countries. As evidently displayed on this forum, and elsewhere, their case for equal opportunity is not being helped when key people in the football ecosystem aren't inclined to see them as coaches, interested in their success, and/or create enabling conditions for their success.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

OJI wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:46 am
danfo driver wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:35 am

reeking with ambition,

Julius Berger
Ocean Boys
Nigeria U17
Al Khartoum
Tanzania
Misr Lel Makkasa
Zanaco

You must be sincere and preface the context of African/Nigerian coaches as they have limited, serious opportunities in their own countries. As evidently displayed on this forum, and elsewhere, their case for equal opportunity is not being helped when key people in the football ecosystem aren't inclined to see them as coaches, interested in their success, and/or create enabling conditions for their success.
Oliseh, Egbo, Otto Addo, Pitso Mosimane, Nuno Espirito Santo, Mahmoud El-Gohary, Stephen Keshi, Walid Regragui and Hassan Shehata are all Africa coaches. Amunike needs to stop hanging around waiting for a job.

I ask you again, will the US U19 hire Amunike? I know why you dont want to answer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:38 pm
Talk about hearing and not listening. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I agree he is also a no for me. I think he will be a better fit for U17 team. He said the MLS is better than the NPFL in terms of quality. Even with all the Japa and lack of funding. I would rather watch Remo stars vs Sporting Lagos or Rangers vs 3SC. MLS is boring.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ohenhen1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:01 am

I agree he is also a no for me. I think he will be a better fit for U17 team.
Will you leave the US U19 and take up the Nigeria U17 job?

Also, will the US U19 hire Amunike or even consider him? Hoping for a response here :D
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Would Nsien have applied to be the USMNT head coach if the position were open? I an wondering if some of these applicants are rushing to apply because it is Nigeria where people become Presidents with questionable certificates.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

1naija wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:50 pm Would Nsien have applied to be the USMNT head coach if the position were open? I an wondering if some of these applicants are rushing to apply because it is Nigeria where people become Presidents with questionable certificates.
:D

They should give him the job, after all Egypt hired Bob Bradley.
Egypt Afcon: 7
Nigeria Afcon: 3
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ANC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:11 pm
1naija wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:50 pm Would Nsien have applied to be the USMNT head coach if the position were open? I an wondering if some of these applicants are rushing to apply because it is Nigeria where people become Presidents with questionable certificates.

I wonder if Egypt will ever consider Amunike. After all he is a legend there. :D
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

He definitely have a part to play in the definitely of Nigerian football under NFA. But definitely not as the Super Eagles coach. For me today, i will go for Ndubuisi Egbo, or Finidi George in that order.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

OJI wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:22 am How about M. Nsien being an assistant to Amunike? He gets to soak up the Nigerian coaching atmosphere, the unique NFF approach, and work with a coach(Amunike) used to, and appreciative of modern analytical methods. Amunike was a member of a FIFA WC technical study group. Both relatively young coaches reeking with ambition, and drive to make name, and history! I think Nsien as the head coach at this juncture would be too much a clash of expectations, and culture given the paucity of NFF's resources, and off-field dynamics.
OJI,

I never like that idea.... Let the manager select his own assistants, those he believes he trusts.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:22 pm
ANC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:11 pm

I wonder if Egypt will ever consider Amunike. After all he is a legend there. :D
Why not?
Amunike played for Barcelona when Messi could NOT even make the bench.
He also won U-17 WC and qualified Tanzania for Afcon
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ANC wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:01 am
danfo driver wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:22 pm

Why not?
So why have they not considered him?
Amunike played for Barcelona when Messi could NOT even make the bench.
Amunike played for Barcelona between 1996-2000. Lionel Messi was between 9-13 years old.

By the way, Amunike played 19 games in 5 years at Barcelona. While Messi, a 9-13 year old, could not make the bench, Amunike didn't seem able to make the squad either. :lol: :lol:
He also won U-17 WC and qualified Tanzania for Afcon
Egypt has won the AFCON 7 times. Winning U-17 and qualifying Tanzania for AFCON is laughable to them:lol: It shows you the difference between the ambition of the Egyptians as compared to the Nigerians, were Nigerians are excited about "he won U17 9 years ago and qualified Tanzania for AFCON :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: quite embarrassing. :lol:

By the way, after qualifying Tanzania for the AFCON, Amunike went there and LOST all 3 games at the AFCON. This is the level Nigerians aspire to; NOT Egypt.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Next wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:40 pm FULL LIST: All the top coaches who applied for Super Eagles job, including banned Siasia, controversial Yusuf

https://soccernet.ng/2024/03/full-list- ... yusuf.html
At least ten candidates submitted their applications indicating their interest for the vacant Super Eagles head coach job to the Nigeria Football Federation before deadline day on Tuesday, 12 March 2024, Soccernet.ng reports.

The NFF last week called for applications to fill the position of the Super Eagles head coach following the departure of Portuguese tactician Jose Peseiro.

Peseiro led the Nigerian national team to the runner-up spot at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations in Cote d’Ivoire.

However, despite showing interest in continuing in the role, he could not reach a contractual agreement with the NFF.

Several top coaches are jostling to succeed Peseiro, including one European.

Former Barcelona winger Emmanuel Amunike tops the list, as he is among the first to submit his application.

Amunike is banking on his excellent playing and coaching career that saw him win the gold medal at the 1994 AFCON and the 1996 Olympic Games before leading the Golden Eaglets to glory at the 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup.

The former Zamalek star also helped Tanzania qualify for the 2019 AFCON, the country’s first appearance at the tournament since 1980.

Also confirmed to have submitted their applications are the current United States U19 team coach, Michael Nsien, and former Super Eagles assistant coach Sylvanus Okpala.

Former Tirana FC handler Ndubuisi Egbo, the first Nigerian coach to win a league title in Europe in the 2019/20 season in Albania, is also interested, as well as former Super Eagles assistant coach Daniel Amokachi.

Former Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh is believed to have also confirmed his interest in the vacant position.

Former Cameroon national team head coach Antonio Conceicao, who guided the Indomitable Lions to a third-place finish at the 2021 AFCON, is also in the mix.

George Finidi, who guided Enyimba FC to the league title last year before serving as assistant to Peseiro at AFCON 2023, has also shown interest in becoming the next Super Eagles boss.

Interestingly, the controversial duo of Samson Siasia and Salisu Yusuf have also thrown their hats in the ring.

Siasia is currently banned by FIFA from all football-related activities after being caught in the middle of a match-fixing investigation, which found him guilty of bribes in relation to the manipulation of matches.

The ban on the former Nantes striker will be lifted in August, and he hopes the NFF will pause the appointment of the new coach until then.

Salisu Yusuf is a former chief coach of the Nigeria national football team with an impressive record of winning the NPFL in 2008 and the FA Cup twice.

However, his record was tainted in 2018 when he was fingered in bribery allegations involving CHAN Super Eagles players.

The NFF is expected to name the new Super Eagles head coach in April.
LIST OF INTERESTED CANDIDATES

1. Michael Nsien
2. Sylvanus Okpala
3. Samson Siasia
4. Daniel Amokachi
5. Ndubuisi Egbo
6. Salisu Yusuf
7. Antonio Conceicao
8. Emmanuel Amunike
9. Sunday Oliseh
10. Finidi George
But according to "OWNGOAL" a total of 115 candidates have applied for the job(if you want to believe that)!!
After interviewing 10 ethnic Nigerians, they will pick someone from Obodo Oyinbo. :taunt:
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Finidi leads the team in upcoming friendlies
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:05 pm Finidi leads the team in upcoming friendlies
Finidi is my preferred candidate. Let's hope he does a good job with the friendlies and gets hired permanently
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Jose Maurinhno apparently recommended Peseiro.

Now it is Pep Guadiorla recommending Torrent according owngoalnigeria.

Here we go again.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx