NOTES from the 2-1 win over Ghana......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
NOTES from the 2-1 win over Ghana......

Post by Enugu II »

Alex Iwobi is back in his favored position is without a peer in Africa. Today Alex was back to his dominant form in the middle. He was played too far back by Peseiro at the AFCON but for a reason -- the absence of Ndidi. Ndidi was back today and Iwobi playing further up was immense -- always presenting as an outlet and ensuring that Nigeria domimnated possession.

Chiedozie Awaziem played his best game for Nigeria after so many years of disappointment. I had thought that this was one of Nigeria's best ball playing defenders and that under Peseiro he will eventually own the center back position after the Oyibo-wall was dismantled. It did not happen and largely because Awaziem was decidedly subpar. Today, he reminded us that he is not finished just yet. Just maybe, there is more of this left oin the tank. I felt, even though Ghana was piss poor most of the day, that Awaziem was ready.
Finidi George shifted the focus of the team in a few ways and we saw the SE in a different light today but was it just because it was a friendly or this is really Finidi's coming out party? Well, the jury is still out. What I know is that today, apart from the three at back, for the first time, none of the Nigerian true wingers started the game. What was the effect. It was marked during the non-possession phase as the Nigerians harried Ghana into long spells of undecisive play, loss of possession, and subordination to the Nigerian pressure. Forget the score line, the game was not that close.

Cyriel Dessers started like a guy on fire. He was putting incredible pressure on Ghana's backline and generally constituting a nuisance. However, he faded and returned to his usual self in the Nigerian shirt -- overrunning plays and generally going into anonymous spells before he was sent to the bench.

Some on CE claimed Nwabali was not all that at the time he played his opening game for Nigeria at the AFCON but if they hold same opinion after the AFCON and after today, then they should find another sport to watch and analyze. This guy is a far cry from what Nigerians were served with Okoye and Uzoho for years. Nwabali exudes confidence and his last lime of defense is impeccable. Importantly, he shows leadership and comradeship. You should re-watch the game and note how he consistently sort to make Tanimu comfortable when some in the defense constantly attempted to avoid the latter. See Awaziem for one of those.

Tanimu is comfortable on the ball and is evidently a good player but none of the starters is in any danger of losing a spot to him. He was tentative a few times today, sometimes over commits, slow in some recovery moments and one of those in the opening half nearly led to Nigeria conceding. However, he is indeed deft with the ball in his possession. In the air, he will need work. I saw him beaten in the air in the opening half against a shorter opponent. I am nitpicking, of course. But that is just not acceptable. Otherwise, a credible debut.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: NOTES from the 2-1 win over Ghana......

Post by ohenhen1 »

It is a friendly. Nigeria just worked on passing and keeping a good defensive shape. You can't read too much into performances and results.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:30 am It is a friendly. Nigeria just worked on passing and keeping a good defensive shape. You can't read too much into performances and results.
:D

did you read what he wrote?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Let’s give Tanimu credit for his fantastic long balls, he had like 4 or 5 accurate ones that were very impressive.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:53 am Let’s give Tanimu credit for his fantastic long balls, he had like 4 or 5 accurate ones that were very impressive.
I was about to mention those. There was one he delivered in the first half which set Dessers free on goal. The lad also has confidence on the ball and uses space quite well. The downside is that sometimes he is slow in recovery and there are times he would simply attack the player after appearing to lose sight of the ball.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Hugo Broos is watching . :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

My only take is if Finidi favours using the full backs as wingbacks in a 3-5-2, then I would like to see Lookman as the support striker playing behind the lone striker of Osimhen, Moffi, Boniface etc.

And he definitely needs to scout for a better backup for Aina and possibly 2 new LBs. Sanusi looks like he is succumbing to too many injuries and Bruno is just short of the quality we need. Same with Osayi.

He also needs to scout for Iwobi and Nwabali’s backups. Then we have a team ready to compete in the World Cup if we qualify.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:03 am
maceo4 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:53 am Let’s give Tanimu credit for his fantastic long balls, he had like 4 or 5 accurate ones that were very impressive.
I was about to mention those. There was one he delivered in the first half which set Dessers free on goal. The lad also has confidence on the ball and uses space quite well. The downside is that sometimes he is slow in recovery and there are times he would simply attack the player after appearing to lose sight of the ball.
BUT we have experienced players who are in better leagues committing unnecessary penalty. We saw at the AFCON and another one in this match. Those are the ones attacking the player

For someone making his international debut against a team like Ghana (rivalry?) I was very impressed.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”