OMERUO on Tianimu..........

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
OMERUO on Tianimu..........

Post by Enugu II »

'A good defender' - Omeruo hails Tanimu and reveals time of initiation into Super Eagles set-up
https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=50894
Published: March 21, 2024
'A good defender' - Omeruo hails Tanimu and reveals time of initiation into Super Eagles set-up
Veteran center back Kenneth Omeruo has praised newly invited Benjamin Tanimu ahead of the Super Eagles friendly encounter with Ghana on Friday evening.

Tanimu was one of the players invited for the game against the Black Stars and Mali's Eagles that didn't participate at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations but he is the only one in camp yet to get a cap under his belt.
The 21-year-old center back used to play for Nigeria Premier Football League side Bendel Insurance before making a move to Tanzania-based club Ihefu SC last month.

Prior to leaving the shores of Nigeria, he was regarded as one of the best defenders in the NPFL and it has come has no surprise to the followers of the league that he has been handed a maiden call-up.

Speaking ahead of the game against Ghana, Omeruo has hailed the former Bendel Insurance defender and is hoping they can have an initiation ceremony for him

"He is actually a good player, a good defender and you know he has been able to join the group. Hopefully, we will have an initiation for him tonight after the dinner."

Omeruo also spoke about how he feels to be back with the team, the rivalry with the Black Stars and what to expect in tomorrow's encounter .

"It has been great. It is good to see the boys again after AFCON. It is good to see Ndidi and other boys that were missing.

"We have been training and working hard to play this game. You know it is usually not a friendly game against Ghana. We are ready for the game and ready to win.

"Definitely the jollof derby. We are ready to come out to play. We are working with our new coach for now. I think he has been good as well. We are looking forward to go out there to win

The former Chelsea defender is one of the most senior players in camp and his experience will be needed to get a positive result against Ghana.

Abdulkareem Abdulhamid
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: OMERUO on Tianimu..........

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

What was he supposed to say?That playing a month in Tanzania shouldn’t get Tiaminu a SE invite? Or that other proven defenders were left to “test” Tiaminu? :roll:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

There's always that new "break out star from the local scene" whom other players speak highly of... another packaging scheme for agents to hammer, before it was the dude from yumyum fc now here we go again.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:16 am There's always that new "break out star from the local scene" whom other players speak highly of... another packaging scheme for agents to hammer, before it was the dude from yumyum fc now here we go again.
Yum yum fc. I believe that was Bameyi. :laugh: Btw, did anybody e find out where yum yum cfc was located? They only exist on paper but Bameyi was invited tomU17, U20 and SE in less than a yr. :laugh: We really do have some USDA grade A crooks in Nigeria. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

SUPPOSE FINIDI WAS TRYING TO GIVE EXPOSURE TO TANIMU

I wouldn't fault him if that was the case because he thought exposing would give him a chance to get to Europe where he would have better facilities and tougher competition, preparing him for a bigger SE role. Isn't that what a coach is supposed to do. Having spent a good amount of time in Europe, I don't rule out the likelihood that Finidi does have connections there.
Bell
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

What was his performance during the game? Did he do well?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:53 am What was his performance during the game? Did he do well?
He did well as a debutant but no starter on the team has anything to fear. He is not starting for Nigeria based on what he did at this game.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:56 am
aruako1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:53 am What was his performance during the game? Did he do well?
He did well as a debutant but no starter on the team has anything to fear. He is not starting for Nigeria based on what he did at this game.
I thought so as well. But he didn't look out of place did he?
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:18 pm
He did not look out of place. He did show that he can play at that level. There was an attack he initiated in the first half that Dessers could not put a away.

He was definitely NOT the worst player on the pitch.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

wanaj0 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:06 pm
He did not look out of place. He did show that he can play at that level. There was an attack he initiated in the first half that Dessers could not put a away.

He was definitely NOT the worst player on the pitch.
That pass was fantastic. And he did reasonably well.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

No, not at all. He showed that he belonged in the squad.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Bell wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:21 am SUPPOSE FINIDI WAS TRYING TO GIVE EXPOSURE TO TANIMU

I wouldn't fault him if that was the case because he thought exposing would give him a chance to get to Europe where he would have better facilities and tougher competition, preparing him for a bigger SE role. Isn't that what a coach is supposed to do. Having spent a good amount of time in Europe, I don't rule out the likelihood that Finidi does have connections there.
Bell
I know most who support the decision to invite him won’t agree with what you wrote here.

And why him and not many of the other players who also need the exposure?

And it doesn’t always work well for the team. I remember the Nigeria v Brazil match in Abuja where some German agents turned up just to scout one Nigerian player. Everything was pre-arranged hence the Nigerian player had to start and be on the pitch. The rest is history.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Nothing against this Tanimu kid but shouldn’t we be playing Olisa Ndah more to see what we have in him? Just because a guy didn’t look out of place doesn’t mean that he wasn’t there in the first place for marketing purposes.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

packerland wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:30 am Nothing against this Tanimu kid but shouldn’t we be playing Olisa Ndah more to see what we have in him? Just because a guy didn’t look out of place doesn’t mean that he wasn’t there in the first place for marketing purposes.
It is Finidi's first game and he has seen something he likes in the player. He is a current NPFL coach so why should a bias towards a recent NPFL talent be marketing? Ndah, a player I like, is now everyone's favourite buy there were snide remarks about him when he was first invited.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

aruako1 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:03 am
packerland wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:30 am Nothing against this Tanimu kid but shouldn’t we be playing Olisa Ndah more to see what we have in him? Just because a guy didn’t look out of place doesn’t mean that he wasn’t there in the first place for marketing purposes.
It is Finidi's first game and he has seen something he likes in the player. He is a current NPFL coach so why should a bias towards a recent NPFL talent be marketing? Ndah, a player I like, is now everyone's favourite buy there were snide remarks about him when he was first invited.
The same people shouting Ndah, are the same people who called his call up corruption and marketing.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:53 am
The same people shouting Ndah, are the same people who called his call up corruption and marketing.
Maybe we are just pointing out the template that these coaches use to sneak in a particular player.

The Ndah selection was queried here. Bameyi’s selection was queried here. Tanimu’s selection was queried here. I can’t remember if Divine Nwachukwu’s selection was queried or not.

For me, the selection raised eyebrows. But starting him was the bigger issue. Are we short of central defenders? What was the point in starting him? Just to prove that local based players won’t look out of place? We have 2 friendly games. Give him some minute here and there, and then gradually introduce him in the other matches if his performance deserves he gets further invites.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:38 am
Maybe we are just pointing out the template that these coaches use to sneak in a particular player.

The Ndah selection was queried here. Bameyi’s selection was queried here. Tanimu’s selection was queried here. I can’t remember if Divine Nwachukwu’s selection was queried or not.

For me, the selection raised eyebrows. But starting him was the bigger issue. Are we short of central defenders? What was the point in starting him? Just to prove that local based players won’t look out of place? We have 2 friendly games. Give him some minute here and there, and then gradually introduce him in the other matches if his performance deserves he gets further invites.
Na wa ooooo
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

So we have moved from, "he should not have been called up" to "he should not have started" being the main issue. We are making progress.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

aruako1 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:54 am

So we have moved from, "he should not have been called up" to "he should not have started" being the main issue. We are making progress.
I queried his selection and rightly so, but I have since said the bigger sin is starting him.

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:00 pm

I queried his selection and rightly so, but I have since said the bigger sin is starting him.
Even when the established options were carrying knocks and he did well deputizing for them?

The funny thing is if he wasn’t played you will complain about what a waste of a spot and what was the point in bringing him that they knew he wasn’t good enough to play but selected him to help increase his profile and sell him. There’s just no way to win with you guys once you’ve accepted a certain narrative is true…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:10 pm

Even when the established options were carrying knocks and he did well deputizing for them?

The funny thing is if he wasn’t played you will complain about what a waste of a spot and what was the point in bringing him that they knew he wasn’t good enough to play but selected him to help increase his profile and sell him. There’s just no way to win with you guys once you’ve accepted a certain narrative is true…
In his interview, Finidi mentioned that he was invited because of injuries.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Which established player was carrying knocks? Did you not see Bassey on the bench?

I would have been happy to see him play for 20-30 minutes.

We have World Cup qualifiers in just over 3 months. No time for kalo kalo.

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:47 pm

Which established player was carrying knocks? Did you not see Bassey on the bench?

I would have been happy to see him play for 20-30 minutes.

We have World Cup qualifiers in just over 3 months. No time for kalo kalo.
You can see their training here and Bassey is nowhere to be found, and Finidi mentioned Omeruo had a slight knock in training but should be back for the next game. Stop assuming everything is wuruwuru….

Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!