FINIDI GEORGE: He has Gumption.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: FINIDI GEORGE: He has Gumption.....

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:19 am This ‘colo mentality’ thing is so old and tired nowadays.

It’s obviously used and abused by those that for some reason still feel the need to prove they are “black and proud” and that they “don’t take nonsense” from ‘the’ white man, unlike their so-called ‘WOWO’ brothers.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

In 2024, that says a whole lot. :roll:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Anyone who lives in the US and tells me they don’t take nonsense from the white man needs a visit from the man in the white coat. It’s so annoying.

We complain about Keshi inviting a player based in Europe who hadn’t played a game in 18 months, they keep quiet. We complain about a coach who selects a player who plays for Yum Yum FC, they keep quiet. We complain about a coach who selects and starts a player who recently moved to the Tanzanian league and has never been invited to the CHAN eagles, the say we are suffering from colomemtality. Madness.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:53 am I would love to see Finidi take another look at Olisa Ndah🙂❗️

Cheers.
And this one would have made more sense. :thumb: He has been a regular in a club in a better league for almost 2 years and already has a couple of caps for the SE. Finidi needs to thread carefully.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
2think
Egg
Egg

Post by 2think »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:35 am He did well but it’s just 1 game. He has gumption, balls etc but the only way we’ll find out will be after Nff decides to retain him. All else is speculation. It could be over after Mali.
That's the match that I believe will be a better test for George and the lads

Kudos however to them for the win yesterday
May the Lord God Bless U real Good
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:24 am If he indeed was responsible for Tanimu’s selection and then started him on his first call up, then I am worried. That is not gumption. That smells of something else. It’s not as if we were short of quality players in the CD position. What was his point? What did Tanimu bring to the table that none of our other CDs had?
He started one of the best NPFL talents and former U-23 international before his recent move. Bendel Insurance has always given Finidi's Enyimba a tough game so why must his selection be down to corruption? What is wrong with starting him in a friendly game? Did he look out of place in the game?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:56 am
Damunk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:19 am This ‘colo mentality’ thing is so old and tired nowadays.

It’s obviously used and abused by those that for some reason still feel the need to prove they are “black and proud” and that they “don’t take nonsense” from ‘the’ white man, unlike their so-called ‘WOWO’ brothers.

Anyone who lives in the US and tells me they don’t take nonsense from the white man needs a visit from the man in the white coat. It’s so annoying.

We complain about Keshi inviting a player based in Europe who hadn’t played a game in 18 months, they keep quiet. We complain about a coach who selects a player who plays for Yum Yum FC, they keep quiet. We complain about a coach who selects and starts a player who recently moved to the Tanzanian league and has never been invited to the CHAN eagles, the say we are suffering from colomemtality. Madness.
Except that the said player was one of the top defenders in the NPFL until he left a few weeks ago. And a former U-23 international.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:59 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:53 am I would love to see Finidi take another look at Olisa Ndah🙂❗️

Cheers.
And this one would have made more sense. :thumb: He has been a regular in a club in a better league for almost 2 years and already has a couple of caps for the SE. Finidi needs to thread carefully.
I agree that it makes sense to invite Ndah but the fact that Ndah is a known quantity shouldn’t preempt the invitation of someone like Tanimu. Southgate invited Mainoo. I’m certain there are people who feel he should have invited a more experienced player.

There is at least one valid reason why a coach might want to invite an unknown quantity like Tanimu. It gives the coach an opportunity, in one fell swoop, to confirm his authenticity or, conversely, eliminate him as an option🤔❗️

Cheers.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:51 am
Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:56 am

Except that the said player was one of the top defenders in the NPFL until he left a few weeks ago. And a former U-23 international.
Top defender that was never called up to the CHAN eagles or the home based eagles that played Costa Rica just over a year ago?

As I said in another post, my gripe is not because of where he plays. I just don’t get why he is being fast tracked when we are not short of central defenders and there are others who have better track record than him. Remember Ndah?

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:15 pm

Cheers.
I agree that it makes sense to invite Ndah but the fact that Ndah is a known quantity shouldn’t preempt the invitation of someone like Tanimu. Southgate invited Mainoo. I’m certain there are people who feel he should have invited a more experienced player.

There is at least one valid reason why a coach might want to invite an unknown quantity like Tanimu. It gives the coach an opportunity, in one fell swoop, to confirm his authenticity or, conversely, eliminate him as an option🤔❗️

Cheers.
Southgate invited Mainoo because his other trusted midfielder Phillips is off form. And Mainoo has played over 20 games for Man It’s this season and excelled.

And though I didn’t like his invitation, starting was a far worse sin. But Finidi knows best.

If he was serious about testing players, he should have started one of the other goalies and Onyedika too.

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:42 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.
Southgate invited Mainoo because his other trusted midfielder Phillips is off form. And Mainoo has played over 20 games for Man It’s this season and excelled.

And though I didn’t like his invitation, starting was a far worse sin. But Finidi knows best.

If he was serious about testing players, he should have started one of the other goalies and Onyedika too.
It is not productive to test more than 1 or 2 players at a time. Team balance should not be sacrificed in the name of testing players🤔❗️

Cheers.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:48 am
Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:24 am If he indeed was responsible for Tanimu’s selection and then started him on his first call up, then I am worried. That is not gumption. That smells of something else. It’s not as if we were short of quality players in the CD position. What was his point? What did Tanimu bring to the table that none of our other CDs had?
He started one of the best NPFL talents and former U-23 international before his recent move. Bendel Insurance has always given Finidi's Enyimba a tough game so why must his selection be down to corruption? What is wrong with starting him in a friendly game? Did he look out of place in the game?
I can select 50 players that are not currently in the SE setup that would have not looked out of place yesterday . Does that justify his selection and start?

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:46 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.

It is not productive to test more than 1 or 2 players at a time. Team balance should not be sacrificed in the name of testing players🤔❗️

Cheers.
So Tanimu deserved to be the one that should be tested in a position where we are currently overloaded with talent? I get it.

gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:10 am
gochino wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:50 am
So just because the guy does not play in oyinbo man's country, it means he shouldn't be given a chance? Smells like colomentality! He played well, even Omeruo said he is a player with potential. Again, if you can’t test one or two new players in a friendly match, then where do you want to test them??
I don’t want to insult you but you are not making sense. I have never once insinuated that my gripe is because of where Tanimu plays his football. Nwabali has not played in Oyinbo country but the timing and the reasons behind his fast track selection by Peseinro were very clear to every rational SE supporter. I was in support of Nwabali but I screamed against the selection of Bameyi by Peseinro for the same reasons I am screaming about this one by Finidi. You guys can hide your head in the sand. It doesn’t change the facts.

It’s funny that most guys who have a silly habit of accusing those at home of “colomemtality” are folks who live in Oyinbo country because according to them it is better than home. The irony.

If you know your football, you should know you don’t just test a player in a match unless there is a plan. Why didn’t he test Ojo or the other keeper in goal? Shouldn’t he have focused on testing players in areas where we need quality backups? Why not Onyedika starting ahead of the injury-prone Ndidi? That is how football managers think. This is not kalo kalo. It’s serious business.
Do you know what plan the coach has? Do you know the strategy he is trying to implement? Enyimba has played against his team several times, so Finidi is in a better position to judge what he brings to the table. For crying out loud, this is his first meaningless
friendly match and you are already accusing him of corruption! Did you ever accuse Peseiro or Rohr of corruption? And you are here trying to convince yourself that skin colour has nothing to do with it!
Silver-Shadow
Egg
Egg

Post by Silver-Shadow »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:29 am Finidi George is really a guy who believes in himself. He showed it today in many ways and I list them below. This guy's confidence is clearly to lay it all out and on the line. Nothing to fear. Na real show of gumption and bravery. I love it!!!
1. He stated in one video interview posted here by our key video poster and informant -- Bigpoke -- that he had brought Benhjamin Tianimu to the attention of SE Manager prior to this break but apparently the kid Tianiumu was not invited. I believe he clearly was referring to Peseiro and during the period Tianimu was weith Insurance and his performances were well known by those who folliw the NPFl. Never mind the ruomormongering by the uninformed in CE. In any case, Peseiro never invited the lad. In my view, this clearly supports what I and others jave suspecte -- the SEManagers were siimply not interested in looking for players locally. IOn any case, Finidi did not only demonstrate gumption by inviting this kid but then starting him and did not choose to bench him even after the kid many a few mistakes back in the defense.

2. Finidi George was clearly going for broke. He decided to ditch the extra cautious approach that NIgeria has used under Gernot Rohr and was intensified by Peseiro at this last AFCON. Instead, he took the more adventurous route as Eghuavoen attempted at a recent AFCON. In fact, he went one better by relying on three in the defense but putting true wingbacks in and not two wingers as a means to shore up the defense, when not in possession. It was a dangerous strategy and we shall see. However, he is indeed brave and not the overly cautious approach we had become increasingly accustomed.

3. Sure, this is only an international friendly but if you think that Finidi George is not auditioning for a job, I urge you to be more introspective and to THINK. Findi is and make no mistake about it..... this is an audition for the SE Manager job.

Finidi is GOT BALLS!!!
Sounds like a gambler to me
No Escape
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:02 pm
I can select 50 players that are not currently in the SE setup that would have not looked out of place yesterday . Does that justify his selection and start?
Finidi coaches in the NPFL so should have a BETTER assessment of the players in the local league.

Secondly he was part of the last coaching crew so saw the players at very close range and is able to give a better evaluation of the available players

Thirdly if he want to be biased he should have called up a player from Enyimba who will be more likely loyal to him with potential favours.

What Tanimu brings to the table is DEPTH. That may be an area that he Finidi may be concerned about.

He may not fit into the style of play of other coaches probably why they may not have invited him to CHAN Eagles etc. His quality was known as he was rated as one of the best players in the local league before he leaving for Tanzania. Why Tanzania because they all feel that until they leave Nigeria they will not be recognized. Even the GK was not recognized until he left Nigeria.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:02 pm
Yes. If the coach picks a player and the plater does well, he deserves to be there. It doesn't mean that others will not feel that there are better players.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:05 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.
So Tanimu deserved to be the one that should be tested in a position where we are currently overloaded with talent? I get it.
Yes. His performance proved it.
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

After a thorough, objective assessment of the AFCON, could it simply be ...

1. Nigeria could NOT play a more attacking formation because of Ekong? Due to the dependency of Ekong, and his lack of pace, Nigeria could not afford to play a high press. A high press is needed to keep the team block higher up the field. In the absence of a high press, there were large gaps in the midfield, and Osimhen had to drop back into the center circle.
Nigeria attempted a high press in the South Africa game, and the coach/players had to adjust ASAP when the SA players looped ball over the midfield to isolate the CBs, in an attempt to quickly exploit the space left behind.

2) Subsequently, the invitation, and use of Tanimu could be the first step to build/reinforce a defense comfortable in a high press mode. A major effect would then be to increase possession stats, be more in an attacking mode, provide more service to the attackers, and have opposing teams in their defensive third.

Could it simply be just that?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

gochino wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:14 pm
Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:10 am
gochino wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:50 am
So just because the guy does not play in oyinbo man's country, it means he shouldn't be given a chance? Smells like colomentality! He played well, even Omeruo said he is a player with potential. Again, if you can’t test one or two new players in a friendly match, then where do you want to test them??
I don’t want to insult you but you are not making sense. I have never once insinuated that my gripe is because of where Tanimu plays his football. Nwabali has not played in Oyinbo country but the timing and the reasons behind his fast track selection by Peseinro were very clear to every rational SE supporter. I was in support of Nwabali but I screamed against the selection of Bameyi by Peseinro for the same reasons I am screaming about this one by Finidi. You guys can hide your head in the sand. It doesn’t change the facts.

It’s funny that most guys who have a silly habit of accusing those at home of “colomemtality” are folks who live in Oyinbo country because according to them it is better than home. The irony.

If you know your football, you should know you don’t just test a player in a match unless there is a plan. Why didn’t he test Ojo or the other keeper in goal? Shouldn’t he have focused on testing players in areas where we need quality backups? Why not Onyedika starting ahead of the injury-prone Ndidi? That is how football managers think. This is not kalo kalo. It’s serious business.
Do you know what plan the coach has? Do you know the strategy he is trying to implement? Enyimba has played against his team several times, so Finidi is in a better position to judge what he brings to the table. For crying out loud, this is his first meaningless
friendly match and you are already accusing him of corruption!
Did you ever accuse Peseiro or Rohr of corruption? And you are here trying to convince yourself that skin colour has nothing to do with it!
:lol: I will pass.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:39 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.
Yes. His performance proved it.
You answered the wrong question.

Why was he the one that needed to be tested ahead of players in positions where we need reinforcement or better quality?

GG of G
Egg
Egg

Post by GG of G »

OJI wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:41 pm After a thorough, objective assessment of the AFCON, could it simply be ...

1. Nigeria could NOT play a more attacking formation because of Ekong? Due to the dependency of Ekong, and his lack of pace, Nigeria could not afford to play a high press. A high press is needed to keep the team block higher up the field. In the absence of a high press, there were large gaps in the midfield, and Osimhen had to drop back into the center circle.
Nigeria attempted a high press in the South Africa game, and the coach/players had to adjust ASAP when the SA players looped ball over the midfield to isolate the CBs, in an attempt to quickly exploit the space left behind.

2) Subsequently, the invitation, and use of Tanimu could be the first step to build/reinforce a defense comfortable in a high press mode. A major effect would then be to increase possession stats, be more in an attacking mode, provide more service to the attackers, and have opposing teams in their defensive third.

:thumb: :thumb: :clap: :clap: Thank you sir for bringing common sense to the discussion.
"Do not be Misled. God is not one to be mocked. Whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap." Gal 6:7
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

OJI wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:41 pm After a thorough, objective assessment of the AFCON, could it simply be ...

could be, makes a lot of sense, we reverted back to possession football vs Ghana. The good thing is we can play multiple systems and become very unpredictable against oppositions
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.
You and I both have our opinions but the only opinion that really counts with respect to who gets a tryout is Finidi’s and he’s got to be allowed to do what he thinks is best for the team. Like I pointed out previously, the fact that he gave Tanimu a look doesn’t mean he’s obligated to stick with him🤔❗️

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:27 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.
You and I both have our opinions but the only opinion that really counts with respect to who gets a tryout is Finidi’s and he’s got to be allowed to do what he thinks is best for the team. Like I pointed out previously, the fact that he gave Tanimu a look doesn’t mean he’s obligated to stick with him🤔❗️

Cheers.
TRUE POINT
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics