AFTER a 0-2 LOSS TO MALI......My View

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
AFTER a 0-2 LOSS TO MALI......My View

Post by Enugu II »

Finidi George was "baptized" today but it was not one that surely admitted him to the fold of Nigerian football managing gurus but one that may introduce him to the wrath of the Nigerian football turn coats. If he gets a chance to lead the Super Eagles for the long term, this game will remain a lesson etched at the back of his mind. He and Nigerians must consider the following:

1. Mali was always going to be a threat to Nigeria given the way the current Malian team plays -- fast with loads of ball possession. I went into this game expecting Mali to dominate the ball. However, it was a huge and pleasant surprise that it did not happen. Instead, Nigeria dominated a fair share of the possession especially in the crucial middle. A plus for the Nigerian manager.

2. It appeared early on that Nigeria was simply there waiting for the game to be over and then to fly home to their abodes. However, there was a game to be played. Mali came out differently. They played like it was a Cup game and caught the Nigerians by surprise. The pressure on the ball was INTENSE and Nigeria may well be considered fortunate that it did not concede within the first 10 minutes. Nigeria's defense felt mightily uncomfortable with the intense pressure on the ball and the close-up pace of the opponent.

3. To Nigeria’s credit, the players came back after going 0-1 down. I was surprised that Nigeria could do this, given how easily they had capitulated earlier on.

4. For goodness sakes, this was a friendly and not a Cup game. I do not refer to intensity which should be the 110 that should be given in every game. Instead, I refer to the Manager's substitution pattern. Why did we not see more substitutions. There are several players called up for this 2-game period and yet some did not see a minute of game and even those that did were introduced so late. This really should not be the case. Sadiq? Dele-Bashiru? Tella? In an international friendly break, the Manager has no excuse not to give each player a second of time on the field.

5. Going..going....going...gone. Cyriel Dessers is just not it. In any case, I never thought that he truly belonged, and I do not care how many goals he scores for his club. His awareness, ball control, and ball playing ability have numerous accompanying questions. His time with the NT has to be ticking to the hour of closing. Nothing else to add.

6. Alex Iwobi was king again today but sadly where was the support? While the others did give effort, after going down by a goal, but the team lacked bite as both Iheanacho and Dessers were MIA for long periods. I knew Iheanacho could not cut it as an out and out striker but even when he retracted after Dessers came in for Moses, Kele was still not it. No pace, no deft control in the middle and worse still he will never be a 110 player.

7. Do the Eagles have a chance of making it out of its World Cup qualifying group? I feel more confident than ever that Nigeria will make it, bar any drastic changes. The Nigerian team is good enough to win its group. I have little or no doubt of such an outcome. This international break convinces me of that outcome with a tweak or two.

8. What is that tweak? One, respect each opponent and tweak your tactics accordingly. My view is that there are at least three African teams that Nigeria must play against defensively and with extreme caution – Senegal, Morocco, and Mali. That was my thoughts before today’s game and even though Nigeria surprisingly did well in possession against Mali today, it is not the better option against such a team.

The above are my immediate thoughts.
Last edited by Enugu II on Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AFTER a 0-2 LOSS TO MALI......My View

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Oga, you’re constantly shifting the goalpost to fit your narrative. So after we came 2nd at Afcon na Mali we go Dey fear? Football is a game of results and we were beaten fair, square and straight. We’ve now gone from 2nd best in Africa to also ran again within 60 days of Afcon . We conceded almost as many goals in 2 friendlies as we did at Afcon. Think about it.
OCCUPY NFF!!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I really don’t see why you like Iwobi so much. Decent player but can be easily locked up
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:00 am Oga, you’re constantly shifting the goalpost to fit your narrative. So after we came 2nd at Afcon na Mali we go Dey fear? Football is a game of results and we were beaten fair, square and straight. We’ve now gone from 2nd best in Africa to also ran again within 60 days of Afcon . We conceded almost as many goals in 2 friendlies as we did at Afcon. Think about it.
I thought this was a friendly! :taunt: :taunt: We were losing competitive matches before the AFCON
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

wanaj0 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:17 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:00 am Oga, you’re constantly shifting the goalpost to fit your narrative. So after we came 2nd at Afcon na Mali we go Dey fear? Football is a game of results and we were beaten fair, square and straight. We’ve now gone from 2nd best in Africa to also ran again within 60 days of Afcon . We conceded almost as many goals in 2 friendlies as we did at Afcon. Think about it.
I thought this was a friendly! :taunt: :taunt: We were losing competitive matches before the AFCON
...because na oyinbo dey in charge, untouchable.
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

I completely agree to your views.
Dessers in particular should have nothing to do with the SE again. Offers nothing. Can't pass, can't press, can't shoot, can't score.

We played very good football, something that I've not seen in a while. We switched various formations throughout the game and I loved it.
Again, this is a friendly and it's called a friendly game for a reason. We tested several tactics.
God willing, with the full compliment of our squad, there's no way we won't be at the World cup.

Lastly, the NFF should retain Finidi and give him a free hand. He comes across as someone who they will control or try to control.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Meanwhile, Ivory Coast defeated Uruguay 2-1.

Finidi messed up. And it’s not just the loss. We just looked toothless and at times clueless when trying to attack. The formation did not help.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

naijaguy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:27 am I completely agree to your views.
Dessers in particular should have nothing to do with the SE again. Offers nothing. Can't pass, can't press, can't shoot, can't score.

We played very good football, something that I've not seen in a while. We switched various formations throughout the game and I loved it.
Again, this is a friendly and it's called a friendly game for a reason. We tested several tactics.
God willing, with the full compliment of our squad, there's no way we won't be at the World cup.

Lastly, the NFF should retain Finidi and give him a free hand. He comes across as someone who they will control or try to control.
We already knew that about Dessers from the first game, how could other strikers not be tried?

We did not play good football, we passed the ball around the back as Mali went into their shell after scoring their goal. Their initial pressure led to their goal as we couldn’t pass out the back under their pressure. We barely penetrated their back 4 or caused any serious problems. We probably had 1 shot on target while they had quite a number with Nwabali saving us. But it’s all good, we passed backwards so means we had a good game 👍🏿
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

deanotito wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:11 am I really don’t see why you like Iwobi so much. Decent player but can be easily locked up
Didnt get locked up. Not seen him locked up while in a free role for fulham, or SE in a long time. can't judge hime on could, woulda, can be....Can have an off game or two but a baller. There was this one touch pass through the crowded midfield that he made yesterday. Not sure any other player on the pitch besides Lookman can see, anticipate and execute that
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

I must say I was, and still am rooting for Finidi but his stock went down today, and for me it was not using his subs, this is exactly why we have friendlies, he could have used this to say he "discovered" player x or y,
The results is inconsequential but we needed to see more from the players

The game itself was annoying in the sense that at some point , I couldnt figure which direction the players were going with the ball

I do find it repulsive though that it is only Nigerian coaches who will be "tested" like this and discarded when results are unfavorable, sadly we have the champions of this methodology here. I dont see any Johnny Foreigner being made to audition for the role like this

Let's see where this goes sha
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

akamoke wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:40 pm I must say I was, and still am rooting for Finidi but his stock went down today, and for me it was not using his subs, this is exactly why we have friendlies, he could have used this to say he "discovered" player x or y,

The game itself was annoying in the sense that at some point , I couldnt figure which direction the players were going with the ball

I do find it repulsive though that it is only Nigerian coaches who will be "tested" like this and discarded when results are unfavorable, sadly we have the champions of this methodology here. I dont see any Johnny Foreigner being made to audition for the role like this

Finidi has himself to blame. When you are giving an opportunity to impress, you don’t sit on your bum and let it slip away. What he did yesterday was criminal, starting from how he set the team up. Men, I get really angry every I remember seeing the team sheet and wondering what was going on. I don’t know what got into him.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

icee wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:23 pm
deanotito wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:11 am I really don’t see why you like Iwobi so much. Decent player but can be easily locked up
Didnt get locked up. Not seen him locked up while in a free role for fulham, or SE in a long time. can't judge hime on could, woulda, can be....Can have an off game or two but a baller. There was this one touch pass through the crowded midfield that he made yesterday. Not sure any other player on the pitch besides Lookman can see, anticipate and execute that
Really man? You haven’t seen him locked up in a while? How much is a while? 1 month?
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

If you can't effectively rotate your squad in a friendly while trying to be unbeaten against African opposition then you should not be coaching Nigeria at this level.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:01 am
naijaguy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:27 am I completely agree to your views.

We already knew that about Dessers from the first game, how could other strikers not be tried?

We did not play good football, we passed the ball around the back as Mali went into their shell after scoring their goal. Their initial pressure led to their goal as we couldn’t pass out the back under their pressure. We barely penetrated their back 4 or caused any serious problems. We probably had 1 shot on target while they had quite a number with Nwabali saving us. But it’s all good, we passed backwards so means we had a good game 👍🏿
Maybe with Dessers is to remove ALL doubt.

My issue is with playing Ndidi 90 minutes with Alhassan available. Also the minutes he gave Iheanacho to me was too much.

I am beginning to believe that having Iwobi and Iheanacho on the field at the same time is a luxury.

Just hoping he learned a thing or two from his experimentation.

Overall, we have to learn how to make subs and use players efficiently. A tiring player I don't care if it is Osimhen is not as effective as a fresh player. And if they are then you have a problem with the depth of your squad.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Lolly wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:58 pm
akamoke wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:40 pm I must say I was, and still am rooting for Finidi but his stock went down today, and for me it was not using his subs, this is exactly why we have friendlies, he could have used this to say he "discovered" player x or y,

Finidi has himself to blame. When you are giving an opportunity to impress, you don’t sit on your bum and let it slip away. What he did yesterday was criminal, starting from how he set the team up. Men, I get really angry every I remember seeing the team sheet and wondering what was going on. I don’t know what got into him.
Lolly, it is the nature of the interim coach.

He is in what is called a "Hobson Choice" or some might say a "Burdian's Donkey". There's really no choice for him as the odds are stacked against him. Whatever decision he makes is the wrong decision. Yes, you might think he didn't help himself but like TXJ opined, you really can't judge someone when he is on an interim basis because EVERYONE including the players and your opponents knows it. It inherently affects the outcome of the results.

I am hoping that he went with "his guys" and "his guys" failed him. It will be double jeopardy that he went with "others" and he still couldn't get the result(s) that could have made him a strong(er) candidate for the job.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cellular wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 pm
Lolly wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:58 pm

Lolly, it is the nature of the interim coach.

He is in what is called a "Hobson Choice" or some might say a "Burdian's Donkey". There's really no choice for him as the odds are stacked against him. Whatever decision he makes is the wrong decision. Yes, you might think he didn't help himself but like TXJ opined, you really can't judge someone when he is on an interim basis because EVERYONE including the players and your opponents knows it. It inherently affects the outcome of the results.

I am hoping that he went with "his guys" and "his guys" failed him. It will be double jeopardy that he went with "others" and he still couldn't get the result(s) that could have made him a strong(er) candidate for the job.
The thing is he had 90 minutes to see that his guys were not producing what he wanted and he didn’t make any changes. Means he was happy with what he was seeing which is quite troubling for me. And he said as much afterwards that his team played well and were just unlucky. That’s why I can’t cut him any slack, he saw what we were doing and was actually happy with it, so happy he didn’t want to sub so he doesn’t change anything about how ‘well’ he thought we were playing…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Robotnik wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 pm If you can't effectively rotate your squad in a friendly while trying to be unbeaten against African opposition then you should not be coaching Nigeria at this level.
Is the goal to remain unbeaten against African opposition? Who made that goal? You or the coach?
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

As much as I like a local coach G. Finidi shot himself on the foot boyyy.... bring another local. Fire Finidi pronto. If na Amunike, bring am. If he f... up too fire am.. I am shocked about his lackadaisical approach to both games he should have used to announce himself... kai .. some peeps sha...
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Agbako wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 pm As much as I like a local coach G. Finidi shot himself on the foot boyyy.... bring another local. Fire Finidi pronto. If na Amunike, bring am. If he f... up too fire am.. I am shocked about his lackadaisical approach to both games he should have used to announce himself... kai .. some peeps sha...
Agbako,

After one loss? You know that any coach, and I do not caree who, coaches Nigeria will lose a game or two. Even Keshi and Wedterhoff lost games.

While one agrees that Finidi could have done better with things like substitutions, I am not particularly concerned about the loss in a friendly and with a second team of players against a top level African opposition.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Agbako wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 pm As much as I like a local coach G. Finidi shot himself on the foot boyyy.... bring another local. Fire Finidi pronto. If na Amunike, bring am. If he f... up too fire am.. I am shocked about his lackadaisical approach to both games he should have used to announce himself... kai .. some peeps sha...
Agbako,

After one loss? You know that any coach, and I do not caree who, coaches Nigeria will lose a game or two. Even Keshi and Wedterhoff lost games.

While one agrees that Finidi could have done better with things like substitutions, I am not particularly concerned about the loss in a friendly and with a second team of players against a top level African opposition.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

EII

Nobody cares about the loss. That is a distraction people like Ohenhen are throwing up.

We care that Finidi showed a preview of what SE will be like under him and its a HUGE red flag.

Any coach that deems it unnecessary to give hot prospects a single minute over 2 matches, especially as the team played garbage for 3 out of 4 halves, is a coach that has wanton disregard for SE and should be nowhere near the team.

End of.

In fact as that Mali game played out I prayed we did not equalize because it may have swept his clear inadequacies under the rug. I was happy when Mali scored a second.

I dont care about the result of a friendly.

I care that an incompetent or corrupt manager who is not interested in legitimate TEAM BUILDING may destroy our SE.

What he displayed is ENOUGH to not give him the job.

And again it isn't "because he lost a friendly"

You guys need to stop this "after one friendly loss" nonsense.

It is being intentionally disingenuous.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Why on earth would anybody retain a coach who in his 2 matches under trial has already started beefing with his players ?

Are you guys insane ?

Do you want SE to succeed ?

Or is it just local coach at all costs ?