10 lessons we can learn from the loss to Mali

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
10 lessons we can learn from the loss to Mali

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] First of all, friendlies are there to try out a few things and learn lessons. In that regard, this game has shown us a few things, which for me are far more important than the result
[2] One matter this game has settled is all this local coach talk,. After the Ghana game, some makeshift commentators were calling Finidi the new messiah. Now, they have all gone totally silent
[3] About two weeks ago, the local coach advocates were all waxing lyrical about Emmanuel Amunike, then after the Ghana game it was Finidi. I hope they now hold their peace as what Nigeria needs is a world class coach of the calibre of Mourinho, Klopp, Renard, Lowe, Klinsman, Tuchel, etc
[4] After two draw in our World Cup group, we now probably need to win all our remaining games. We can thus not afford to game for a foreign journeyman coach of a got-and-miss local coach. We need a tried and tested veteran who can guarantee success
[5] As per the team, I am surprised that Bright Osayi-Samuel has proven not to be as good as we all thought he was. In his debut against Portugal, he was immense but since then, he has proven not to be anywhere near as good as Aina
[6] We have a chronic leftback problem, as from what I can see, Neither Zaidu Sanusi, Jamilu Collins or Bruno Onyemaechi appear to be good enough. None of them measure up to say Babayato, Udeze, Taiwo or Isima for instance. Maybe we need to chase up Patrick Dorgu of Leece
[7] At the heart of our defence, Omeruo, Ekong and Ajayi are all 30. We cannot go into the 2026 World Cup with that kind of ageing backline. With Awaziem proving suspect, we need to step up the integration of the likes of Gabriel Osho, Tosin Adarabioyo and Benjamin Tanimu into the team
[8] Midfield remains out Archiles Heel. If we are playing 3-5-2 or 4-3-3, we need an anchorman, a box-to-box midfielder and a playmaker. A world class coach would maybe be looking at a combination that includes Ndidi/Nwakali/Olise. You cannot make things to defensive or too offensive - The balance has to be right
[9] I think these two games have shown us that Cyril Dessers is simply not good enough to be a Super Eagle. At international level, chances are at a premium and his wastefulness will be suicidal to any team
[10] One good thing to come out of all this is that we are not going to have a goalkeeping debate for the foreseeable future. That matter is done and dusted, no matter how many clean sheets Okoye keeps in Serie A. In Nwabali we trust!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: 10 lessons we can learn from the loss to Mali

Post by Cellular »

You are tooooooooo predictable.

2nd game in charge against a good Mali team.

Please, list the players he used against Mali. Compare it to the players that played in the AFCON finals.

What he friendlies proved was that we lack depth. All these foreign players this foreign players that... why is this player not getting playing time... this player is better than this player... we have seen them against Mali.

Imagine if na "junks" as una dey like call dem who were responsible for the errors.

2 years in charge, Peseiro couldn't build a credible bench. The primary reason he flogged the same set of players to death at the AFCON. But in 2 games you want Finidi to do what Peisero couldn't do in 23 games (11 wins, 7 losses, and 5 draws). Find ways to win without Victor Osimhen.

I knew during the game that you insincere lots will be out in full force.

I would want to see Finidi be responsible for inviting players. Play with his full compliment of players and then judge him.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

So can we hold Finidi or whatever next coach we get to the same standard you held Peseiro? ie if they dont win the next AFCON they should get fired?
Cellular wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:12 pm You are tooooooooo predictable.

Please, list the players he used against Mali. Compare it to the players that played in the AFCON finals.

What he friendlies proved was that we lack depth. All these foreign players this foreign players that... why is this player not getting playing time... this player is better than this player... we have seen them against Mali.

Imagine if na "junks" as una dey like call dem who were responsible for the errors.

2 years in charge, Peseiro couldn't build a credible bench. The primary reason he flogged the same set of players to death at the AFCON. But in 2 games you want Finidi to do what Peisero couldn't do in 23 games (11 wins, 7 losses, and 5 draws). Find ways to win without Victor Osimhen.

I would want to see Finidi be responsible for inviting players. Play with his full compliment of players and then judge him.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

nanijoe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:18 pm So can we hold Finidi or whatever next coach we get to the same standard you held Peseiro? ie if they dont win the next AFCON they should get fired?
Cellular wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:12 pm You are tooooooooo predictable.

Peseiro's contract wasn't renewed. He wasn't fired.
Why was Peseiro's contract not renewed?

Personally, I am all for the new NFF President hiring his own set of coaches and be held accountable for whatever results the coaches achieve.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I think Finidi should be retained as an assistant coach though!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:59 pm I think Finidi should be retained as an assistant coach though!
It depends on who they hire. If it is another journey man mercenary coach. Finidi should resign. It doesn't help his career being an assistant under that situation. If I were him. I would quit and look for another job on the continent or in Europe.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:35 pm
Ayo Akinfe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:59 pm I think Finidi should be retained as an assistant coach though!
It depends on who they hire. If it is another journey man mercenary coach. Finidi should resign. It doesn't help his career being an assistant under that situation. If I were him. I would quit and look for another job on the continent or in Europe.
Not that easy to get a job in those places as a minority. Now if he succeds as SE coach, then that opens door to other opporunities. The real question is that i'm not sure hes's good enough? I'm rooting for him though if they won't hire an A+ foreign coach.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

packerland wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:45 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:35 pm
Not that easy to get a job in those places as a minority. Now if he succeds as SE coach, then that opens door to other opporunities. The real question is that i'm not sure hes's good enough? I'm rooting for him though if they won't hire an A+ foreign coach.
He has job with Enyimba FC. He will get another job on the African continent. The guy really doesn't need to be a coach. He can go into other fields of interest. But he wants to give back to Nigeria. That is why he is coaching in the local league. Doesn't make sense to be an assistant under a journey man coach. What is the value of that. I would quit. But let say we get a Jorgen Klopp type manager. Offcourse he should stay and learn under a world class manager. But if it is Concecao. I would forward my resignation letter, and then tell the media you want to be a head coach.

Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:00 pm [1] First of all, friendlies are there to try out a few things and learn lessons. In that regard, this game has shown us a few things, which for me are far more important than the result
[2] One matter this game has settled is all this local coach talk,. After the Ghana game, some makeshift commentators were calling Finidi the new messiah. Now, they have all gone totally silent
[3] About two weeks ago, the local coach advocates were all waxing lyrical about Emmanuel Amunike, then after the Ghana game it was Finidi. I hope they now hold their peace as what Nigeria needs is a world class coach of the calibre of Mourinho, Klopp, Renard, Lowe, Klinsman, Tuchel, etc
[4] After two draw in our World Cup group, we now probably need to win all our remaining games. We can thus not afford to game for a foreign journeyman coach of a got-and-miss local coach. We need a tried and tested veteran who can guarantee success
[5] As per the team, I am surprised that Bright Osayi-Samuel has proven not to be as good as we all thought he was. In his debut against Portugal, he was immense but since then, he has proven not to be anywhere near as good as Aina
[6] We have a chronic leftback problem, as from what I can see, Neither Zaidu Sanusi, Jamilu Collins or Bruno Onyemaechi appear to be good enough. None of them measure up to say Babayato, Udeze, Taiwo or Isima for instance. Maybe we need to chase up Patrick Dorgu of Leece
[7] At the heart of our defence, Omeruo, Ekong and Ajayi are all 30. We cannot go into the 2026 World Cup with that kind of ageing backline. With Awaziem proving suspect, we need to step up the integration of the likes of Gabriel Osho, Tosin Adarabioyo and Benjamin Tanimu into the team
[8] Midfield remains out Archiles Heel. If we are playing 3-5-2 or 4-3-3, we need an anchorman, a box-to-box midfielder and a playmaker. A world class coach would maybe be looking at a combination that includes Ndidi/Nwakali/Olise. You cannot make things to defensive or too offensive - The balance has to be right
[9] I think these two games have shown us that Cyril Dessers is simply not good enough to be a Super Eagle. At international level, chances are at a premium and his wastefulness will be suicidal to any team
[10] One good thing to come out of all this is that we are not going to have a goalkeeping debate for the foreseeable future. That matter is done and dusted, no matter how many clean sheets Okoye keeps in Serie A. In Nwabali we trust!

Ayo, I address your age-old points #3 & 4. First of all, there is no such thing as a "tried and tested veteran (coach) who can guarantee success." If there is, such a list would not be led by Jose Mourinho, who keeps getting fired. And he keeps getting fired because he keeps getting found out.

Even if there were such a coach, how do you propose that Nigeria meet his million-dollar asking fees when we have difficulty paying journeymen who are prepared to accept $50,000 or $70,000? The truth is that Nigerian soccer is on the false foundation of foreign soccer: domestically, people watch the game only in social media arguments, meaning that stadium and advertising revenues are almost inexistent. Is there one "success-guaranteed" coach out there (and he would naturally be asking for a "success-guaranteed" backroom staff) who will accept to be paid after the Super Eagles have somehow "succeeded," perhaps five or ten years from now?

Just curious.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Herve Renard and Finidi George sounds like a good combination to me. President Tinubu just needs to summon a consortium of Dangote, Adenuga, Otedola, Rabiu, Alakija, Elemulu, Ibeto, etc to Aso Rock and get them to be responsible for the coaches’ salaries.
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

Ayo you failed woefully in ya bid to hire a whiteman at all cost in ya write up... Enough said.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:05 pm Herve Renard and Finidi George sounds like a good combination to me. President Tinubu just needs to summon a consortium of Dangote, Adenuga, Otedola, Rabiu, Alakija, Elemulu, Ibeto, etc to Aso Rock and get them to be responsible for the coaches’ salaries.
The same Herve Renard that won an Afcon by drawing most of the games?
The same Herve Renard that is the current coach of the French womens national team?

Did he even apply?

Finidi is better off quitting.

Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:05 pm Herve Renard and Finidi George sounds like a good combination to me. President Tinubu just needs to summon a consortium of Dangote, Adenuga, Otedola, Rabiu, Alakija, Elemulu, Ibeto, etc to Aso Rock and get them to be responsible for the coaches’ salaries.
"Summon a consortium of Dangote, Adenuga, Otedola, Rabiu, Alakija, Elemulu, Ibeto, etc to Aso Rock and get them to be responsible for the coaches’ salaries."

I thought you actually had a plan. This is the most ridiculous business fantasy I have ever heard. Where will you insert it in the 2024 budget?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Polly wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:04 pm
"Summon a consortium of Dangote, Adenuga, Otedola, Rabiu, Alakija, Elemulu, Ibeto, etc to Aso Rock and get them to be responsible for the coaches’ salaries."

I thought you actually had a plan. This is the most ridiculous business fantasy I have ever heard. Where will you insert it in the 2024 budget?
Read what I wrote. It will be funded by private sector sponsors!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:45 pm
The same Herve Renard that is the current coach of the French womens national team?

Did he even apply?

Yes, that same Herve Renard. I hope the NFF president has already made contact with him!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:58 pm

Did he even apply?

Yes, that same Herve Renard. I hope the NFF president has already made contact with him!
He is under contract with the French FA. Getting the French womens national team ready for the Olympics. The NFF will have to pay to buy him out of his contract.

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:05 pm

Did he even apply?

He is under contract with the French FA. Getting the French womens national team ready for the Olympics. The NFF will have to pay to buy him out of his contract.
I have put together a plan that will allow us to get around this. I plan to leverage on Franco-Nigerian relations!
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:18 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:05 pm

Did he even apply?

I have put together a plan that will allow us to get around this. I plan to leverage on Franco-Nigerian relations!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

By now, the NFF should have published their shortlist. It should look like this:

Herve Renard
Jose Mourinho
Jurgen Klopp
Pep Guadiola
Joachim Lowe
Thomas Tuchel
Marcelo Bielsa
Diego Simeone
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am By now, the NFF should have published their shortlist. It should look like this:

Herve Renard
Jose Mourinho
Jurgen Klopp
Pep Guadiola
Joachim Lowe
Thomas Tuchel
Marcelo Bielsa
Diego Simeone
Is this some form of comic relief? Or are serious about this? Am confused!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

gochino wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am
Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am By now, the NFF should have published their shortlist. It should look like this:

Herve Renard
Jose Mourinho
Jurgen Klopp
Pep Guadiola
Joachim Lowe
Thomas Tuchel
Marcelo Bielsa
Diego Simeone
We need a world class coach. That principle is non-negotiable as far as I am concerned. We must achieve that goal whatever it takes, even if it means using some CE members for human sacrifice to raise the money!
Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am
gochino wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

Herve Renard
Jose Mourinho
Jurgen Klopp
Pep Guadiola
Joachim Lowe
Thomas Tuchel
Marcelo Bielsa
Diego Simeone
We need a world class coach. That principle is non-negotiable as far as I am concerned. We must achieve that goal whatever it takes, even if it means using some CE members for human sacrifice to raise the money!
"...non-negotiable as far as I am concerned," aka the Emilokan philosophy. This is exactly why Nigeria does not work: utter lack of principle and unwillingness to invest in sustainability. A cabal of the wealthiest to be aimed by the most powerful as a bullet at soccer success, not development, insecurity or the conquest of poverty, right? And then, three years from now, we would bellyache at what bullet was deployed to rig the presidency!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

There is only ONE lesson learned.

Finidi George is not the right an for the job.

End of story.