FINIDI GEORGE IS A TERRIBLE COACH

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: FINIDI GEORGE IS A TERRIBLE COACH

Post by Enugu II »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:33 am There is a lot of Opak yarning on this site. No one knows exactly what happened in camp. But when you are the interim coach. The big egos will act up. They will say he is not even the full time coach. They are going to hire another one. Again from what I have seen. Finidi has a bright future. Whether he gets the job or not. I also want to say if the story is true. Then it might be time to clean house and rebuild the team. Nigeria is not good enough to have big boys.
Bros, there is nothing like "big bots" in terms of those mentioned in the story. Who among is a sure starter? Big boy my foot. Any of those guys can be put in a cooler, for all I care. Fact is Nigeria is doing each of them a favor by giving them visibility and that can be easily taken care of. Man, we are nit talking of Osimhen, Nwabali, Iwobi, or of that caliber.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:49 am
ohenhen1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:33 am There is a lot of Opak yarning on this site. No one knows exactly what happened in camp. But when you are the interim coach. The big egos will act up. They will say he is not even the full time coach. They are going to hire another one. Again from what I have seen. Finidi has a bright future. Whether he gets the job or not. I also want to say if the story is true. Then it might be time to clean house and rebuild the team. Nigeria is not good enough to have big boys.
Bros, there is nothing like "big bots" in terms of those mentioned in the story. Who among is a sure starter? Big boy my foot. Any of those guys can be put in a cooler, for all I care. Fact is Nigeria is doing each of them a favor by giving them visibility and that can be easily taken care of. Man, we are nit talking of Osimhen, Nwabali, Iwobi, or of that caliber.
A good manager should be able to do the little things necessary to keep key team members battle-ready and sharp. Keshi was fantastic in this regard. FIFA allows 6 substitutions and Finidi used 4 against Ghana and 2 substitutions in the Mali match. It is not like the players on the field were playing well.

All of the respect talk is really secondary to his lack of a game plan, horrible team selection and inability to adjust during the game. I know we want to support a Nigerian coach but let’s take it easy abeg.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Finish has himself to blame if he does not get a permanent contract. I really don’t know what got over him but he really messed up. And it just makes me angry that the task before him was a simple one but he chose to make it hard.

I don’t believe he is a terrible coach but I suspect his actions over those friendlies were intentional (starting line up against Mali, strange use or no use of subs) and only he can explain himself. But he will have a hard time convincing the people tasked with appointing the coach.

As a supporter and someone with a keen interest in our football, I am only supporting his appointment after his interim show because the probability of us qualifying for the World Cup qualification is very low. Any coach we appoint today would struggle to get us the qualification. The damage has already been done. So let us stick with Finidi and hope he can build something for the future. He has worked hard to get this opportunity though I am still mad at him for the way he flunked an easy test.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:27 am
Damunk wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:17 am
fabio wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:58 pm
Damunk wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 pm I really hope the ‘clash’ story is untrue because we don’t have the luxury of that many local coaches that will automatically command respect from our top players.
Finidi, Amuneke and Siasia are really the only ones in the mix with top level playing experience under their belts.

They drilled it into us in school that respect is not automatic, it is earned.
Finidi needs to keep his players onside, abeg.
Command respect of which top players. What have these top players achieved in their careers? How many have won leagues and champions League?

Finidi needs to drop the so called players and that will send a message. Others will seat up. Playing for SE is a privilege, not a right.

If you can't or choose not to respect Finidi or any Nigerian coach, you can leave.
That’s not the right approach.
Probably why Oliseh failed.
You don’t go around throwing your pedigree in their faces and acting like you’re God’s gift to the players.
Respect is mutual.
Your time don pass. This is their time.
Good man management recognises this.
Damunk

But to ignore it is to face persistent peril. It should never be ignored. He should be given opportunity to publicly retract it or there should be a repercussion. This type of thing undermines leadership and cannot nor should it be ignored.
If it has been blown out of proportion, or never even happened then why should he come out to retract anything? It’s between him and the coach, and if they’re good, case closed.
These days, everyone is looking for a story and will write anything to click bait. By nature we know Lookman talks very little and I doubt we’ll hear Pimm from him. Very much like Victor Moses in that regard.

All we are doing in reality here is looking for juicy gist.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Again, I say that is the wrong attitude you have implied here.
ALL Super Eagles players should be treated and respected equally. They will have their own way of recognising seniority but that’s different from ‘bigmanism’ or ‘calibre’ recognition which shouldn’t be encouraged

Osimhen thank God is a team player, very humble and looks out for his teammates…even publicly defends them. So the issue of calibre or ‘big boys’ doesn’t and shouldn’t arise. He’ll probably reject any special treatment if offered.
This is all part of man management skills required when dealing with elite athletes.

It should be an honour to wear the national jersey yes, but equally it is bad management to suggest by words or action that you are doing them a favour by inviting or fielding them.
They are there on merit and even if you were the world’s greatest player-turned-national coach, the players equally deserve respect.
It’s not as if the coach won’t benefit personally if his team achieves at the highest level. He needs them to achieve as much as they need him.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:08 am Finish has himself to blame if he does not get a permanent contract. I really don’t know what got over him but he really messed up. And it just makes me angry that the task before him was a simple one but he chose to make it hard.

I don’t believe he is a terrible coach but I suspect his actions over those friendlies were intentional (starting line up against Mali, strange use or no use of subs) and only he can explain himself. But he will have a hard time convincing the people tasked with appointing the coach.

As a supporter and someone with a keen interest in our football, I am only supporting his appointment after his interim show because the probability of us qualifying for the World Cup qualification is very low. Any coach we appoint today would struggle to get us the qualification. The damage has already been done. So let us stick with Finidi and hope he can build something for the future. He has worked hard to get this opportunity though I am still mad at him for the way he flunked an easy test.
Well, I always flunked my first term exams in school because they were ‘friendlies’.
Upsetting as it is, it’s a learning process for him.
If no one asks him questions, he will ask himself.

I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt and refusing to run with any dubious motives that are being speculated. We are a suspicious people by nature and you can’t blame us, considering what has happened in the past.

But I’d rather believe they were genuine errors and a bit of stage fright.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:12 am
Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:08 am Finish has himself to blame if he does not get a permanent contract. I really don’t know what got over him but he really messed up. And it just makes me angry that the task before him was a simple one but he chose to make it hard.

Well, I always flunked my first term exams in school because they were ‘friendlies’.

I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt and refusing to run with any dubious motives that are being speculated. We are a suspicious people by nature and you can’t blame us, considering what has happened in the past.

Doc, you only flunked those tests because the stakes were not high. There was no chance of you not moving up in year or being kicked out of school if you flunked them. Hence why you did not flunk your 2nd and 3rd term exams.

For Finidi, those tests were his one and only chance to determine his next level. And he had the benefit of good preparation in his position as assistant coach for almost 2 years including assisting the head coach in a competitive tournament as recently as last month. The man had no excuse. And I am not even talking about the results. The overall management of the matches and the players was poor.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:23 am

Doc, you only flunked those tests because the stakes were not high. There was no chance of you not moving up in year or being kicked out of school if you flunked them. Hence why you did not flunk your 2nd and 3rd term exams.

For Finidi, those tests were his one and only chance to determine his next level. And he had the benefit of good preparation in his position as assistant coach for almost 2 years including assisting the head coach in a competitive tournament as recently as last month. The man had no excuse. And I am not even talking about the results. The overall management of the matches and the players was poor.
I’m reading that Finidi had no technical assistance in the 2 friendlies, it was just him and the goalkeeping coach, Abiodun Baruwa.
That is a tough call
I am happy
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Dammy wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:40 am

I’m reading that Finidi had no technical assistance in the 2 friendlies, it was just him and the goalkeeping coach, Abiodun Baruwa.
That is a tough call
And if he needed technical assistants, why didn’t he request for them or take along some of his own loyal, tried and tested assistants?

I hope he is not using that as an excuse for his questionable decision making?

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:06 am

That is a tough call
And if he needed technical assistants, why didn’t he request for them or take along some of his own loyal, tried and tested assistants?

How do you know he didn’t?
The point is, there is too little known and too much conjecture.

Let’s just accept what we do know and move on.
I think if ever there is a time to bite the bullet with a local coach, it is now.

If Finidi doesn’t get the job, it’s another death knell for local coaches and specifically for him because records will have it down as another “failure”.
On two games? That’s how it goes, unfortunately.

It’s already a shame that a country of 200m has so few credible options for a national coach.
I once thought Manu Garba was on the path to snr national team glory, but he never made it that far.
Amuneke is no less a journeyman than all the foreigners we love to label with the same description.
He’s just a Nigerian journeyman. He hasn’t been in a job for how many years now? :oops:

It’s a Hobson’s Choice, basically.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:19 am
Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:06 am

That is a tough call

I think if ever there is a time to bite the bullet with a local coach, it is now.

If Finidi doesn’t get the job, it’s another death knell for local coaches and specifically for him because records will have it down as another “failure”.

It’s already a shame that a country of 200m has so few credible options for a national coach.
I once thought Manu Garba was on the path to snr national team glory, but he never made it that far.
Amuneke is no less a journeyman than all the foreigners we love to label with the same description.
He’s just a Nigerian journeyman. He hasn’t been in a job for how many years now? :oops:

My question was two-in-one. If he asked and they refused him, why didn’t he take along one or two of his own guys? Siasia “employed” his own assistant without waiting for the NFF.

I see this as another excuse being mooted by those who want to divert the discussions away from Finidi’s failings.

Yes I agree with you that it’s the right time to bite the bullet with a local coach as I stated in my earlier post. My main reason being we should be looking beyond the World Cup qualification (which is feel is out of reach) and be looking to start building for the future. Give him a 5-year plan with targets along the way and let’s see how he performs.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:31 pm
Damunk wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:19 am
Lolly wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:06 am And if he needed technical assistants, why didn’t he request for them or take along some of his own loyal, tried and tested assistants?

My question was two-in-one. If he asked and they refused him, why didn’t he take along one or two of his own guys? Siasia “employed” his own assistant without waiting for the NFF.

I see this as another excuse being mooted by those who want to divert the discussions away from Finidi’s failings.

Yes I agree with you that it’s the right time to bite the bullet with a local coach as I stated in my earlier post. My main reason being we should be looking beyond the World Cup qualification (which is feel is out of reach) and be looking to start building for the future. Give him a 5-year plan with targets along the way and let’s see how he performs.
Talking about Finidi’s failings after just two games serves no purpose. That one don pass. Now it’s just flogging a dead horse. And I’m not sure Finidi had the resources or was given resources to carry his own assistants to Morocco. We need to move forward.

And I don’t agree we are anywhere near being out of reach of the World Cup. Rwanda aren’t going anywhere. South Africa have already lost a game to Rwanda. And that Benin that I saw draw 2-2 with African Champions CIV last week are no pushovers. They will give anyone a run for their money. Zimbabwe are dark horses.

In short, the group is still wide open.
Quality should shine through at the day’s end.
So we should be looking for both qualification AND far beyond.

What we are seeing now is predictable and some of us have been saying it for years: As Nigerians we have a very low football pain threshold and any coach at the helm that isn’t optimally delivering on all fronts (results, style, ‘talk’ ie hyperbole, player selection etc) will quickly find himself on the chopping block.

A Nigerian coach is at even higher risk simply because we have very few that have been exposed as coaches to top players and teams in top competitions. I’m talking world level, not just Africa - which isn’t great either. So there will definitely be heartache at the beginning and panic instantly sets in.

And that’s when the narcissistic, self-appointed ‘Nigerian Freedom Fighters’ will go hunting for their ‘WOWOs’ in every corner in order to offload their shoulder chips in a fratricidal war of self-righteousness. :D
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Some people are just looking for an excuse to hire a foreign coach. Finidi didn't mess up anything. He didn't pick the players. It was a friendly. And they played well for a friendly. You cant judge a team or Coach based on friendly performances.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:35 pm Some people are just looking for an excuse to hire a foreign coach. Finidi didn't mess up anything. He didn't pick the players. It was a friendly. And they played well for a friendly. You cant judge a team or Coach based on friendly performances.
Ohenhen, for once I agree with you. Peseiro had a miserable run in friendlies but the usual suspects declined to criticize him. Even after he dug us into a hole in WC qualifying, they still wanted him to continue. That’s the effect of slavery to neocolonialism🤔❗️

Cheers.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:35 pm Some people are just looking for an excuse to hire a foreign coach. Finidi didn't mess up anything. He didn't pick the players. It was a friendly. And they played well for a friendly. You cant judge a team or Coach based on friendly performances.
Really? So you judge a coach on what again?

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:43 pm
Really? So you judge a coach on what again?
Competitive games where the coach has his starters. A game where players werent trying to avoid injuries. There is a reason why Nigeria football is not developing.

OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

My people, wait o!

Everyone here has factored all the players' perspectives or non playing time in analyzing, assessing or reflecting on the past two matches.

What does Finidi's arrangement as interim coach have on Finidi's outlook, and conduct?

I do recall, for away competitive fixtures, Finidi, and another coach were made to alternately travel with the team. Essentially, Finidi gets to attend this fixture. He misses the next. I recall Finidi making a statement that it was quite unheard of, and unusual. Ostensibly, the NFF were cutting costs, and couldn't afford all coaches on all away fixtures. Under Peserio, it appears Finidi was just tagged along, involved in a peripheral, part time basis, and his primary responsibility, and focus was with Enyimba. That "tag along" approach ensured Finidi was an acceptable interim coach. Was there additional compensation for him as an interim coach?

Antagonism, and failure to support Keshi, coupled with past due payments led Keshi into self-serving conduct re WC 2014 player selections.

Is history about to repeat?

In the 94 WC, the NFF and some fans failed to factor then coach Westerhoff's dysfunctional off-field relationship with the NFF, and some players in player selections, and substitution patterns.

Is history about to repeat?

What is Finidi's relationship with the technical department, and the curator(s) of the team list? Was he overridden?
In the same 1994 WC in which Finidi was a team member, Westerhoff did NOT include Victor Ikpeba in the final List. He was overridden, Ikpeba made the list, and Westerhoff never gave him a minute of playing time.

Again, is history about to repeat?

Is Finid's need to reset the financial arrangement with the NFF, and the oversight relationship with the technical department his primary objective?

Could all this talk about winning , possession dominance, tactics, substitution patterns, game management, etc be much ado about nothing?
Jmal
Egg
Egg

Post by Jmal »

finidi george or siasia i take 100% siasia why let me explain why play wrong position Chidozie Awaziem who played central defender instead of right full-back? even Gernot Rohr used him as right full back. his entire system is very suspect even ghana with 10 men played better and controled the game wisely.
the problem i have with finidi is he had so much time as assistans to know how to win and be compact,
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:00 am
Again, I say that is the wrong attitude you have implied here.
ALL Super Eagles players should be treated and respected equally. They will have their own way of recognising seniority but that’s different from ‘bigmanism’ or ‘calibre’ recognition which shouldn’t be encouraged

Osimhen thank God is a team player, very humble and looks out for his teammates…even publicly defends them. So the issue of calibre or ‘big boys’ doesn’t and shouldn’t arise. He’ll probably reject any special treatment if offered.
This is all part of man management skills required when dealing with elite athletes.

It should be an honour to wear the national jersey yes, but equally it is bad management to suggest by words or action that you are doing them a favour by inviting or fielding them.
They are there on merit and even if you were the world’s greatest player-turned-national coach, the players equally deserve respect.
It’s not as if the coach won’t benefit personally if his team achieves at the highest level. He needs them to achieve as much as they need him.
Unfortunately, while it is not often stated publicly persons will be treated deferentially. For instance, Nwabali is not going to be treated exactly as Ojo and neither will Osimhen be treated like other strikers. Some are more valuable than others because of ease of replaceability. Think of this, are all players worth similarly?

If Osimhen makes the same statement he will be cautioned but unlikely to impact his use but for Sadiq not only will he get a caution but it will impact his use. That is undeniable and there are far more reasons to explain why. For instance, how many fans will question if Osimhen is not used and how many will question if Sadiq is not used? The answer there speaks volumes. If you expect equal treatment, let's see if Dessers gets invited soon but if Osimhen blew similar chances, what do you think will happen?

I just hope for his own sake that Lookman will deny or claim that he was misquoted. In my view, even that window for salvaging the moment may have passed. In effective communication, you must act decisively and fast. A vacuum will be filled by others who will control the narrative and may be to his detriment. That is elementary communication practice.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:37 pm
Ohenhen, for once I agree with you. Peseiro had a miserable run in friendlies but the usual suspects declined to criticize him. Even after he dug us into a hole in WC qualifying, they still wanted him to continue. That’s the effect of slavery to neocolonialism🤔❗️

Cheers.
Majority of people here criticised Peseinro and called him a poor coach within a couple of matches under his watch. And it never changed even with our good AFCON outing. Many more called Rohr a poor coach and were happy to see him removed. Not everything is white and black.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:31 pm

Cheers.
Majority of people here criticised Peseinro and called him a poor coach within a couple of matches under his watch. And it never changed even with our good AFCON outing. Many more called Rohr a poor coach and were happy to see him removed. Not everything is white and black.
That is not accurate. They made excuses for him. When the NFF had the chance to replace him in July last year. The excuse was it was too late to change a coach before Afcon and they need continuity. The same people are calling Finidi a terrible coach. That he is technicality incompetent. People that have never coached anything in their life. I call it brainwashing.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

How ironic that that the same people asking for patience and continuity are the ones wanting them to remove Finidi after one friendly. The first tried to accuse him of collecting bribe. Findi didnt make the team list. Then they say he is technically incompetent after a friendly. Some Nigerians are been brainwashed to always think Japa. It is the by product of the mainstream Western media. The reality is there's is a lot of technically competent coaches that can coach Nigeria. Football is not rocket science. The problem is colomentality and the NFF don't support them. BTW Finidi has a UEFA pro A license.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:36 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:31 pm

Cheers.
That is not accurate. They made excuses for him. When the NFF had the chance to replace him in July last year. The excuse was it was too late to change a coach before Afcon and they need continuity. The same people are calling Finidi a terrible coach. That he is technicality incompetent. People that have never coached anything in their life. I call it brainwashing.
I called Peseinro a poor coach from his first match in charge when he set the team up to player 5-3-2 in a friendly. We were woeful before he changed it on the second half. And I still continued to call him a poor coach even during AFCON. But you only want to see what you want to see. :lol:

And to add, I am not calling for a foreign coach. Only pointing out that Finidi did a poor job managing the team in the last two friendlies. He needs to tell us what happened.