“It is the turn of the North” – Shameful! Super Eagles coach selection marred by regional politics

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
“It is the turn of the North” – Shameful! Super Eagles coach selection marred by regional politics

Post by iworo »

The Super Eagles of Nigeria are currently without a permanent head coach following the exit of Jose Peseiro.

A prominent Nigerian media outlet has stirred up a contentious debate by advocating for what they call the “zoning” or rotation of the Super Eagles coaching role, as reported by Soccernet.ng.

This suggestion proposes that the next coach of the national team should hail from the northern region of Nigeria.

Several names have been floated as potential candidates, including Salisu Yusuf, Babaganaru Mohammed, Abdul Maikaba, and Usman Abdallah.

The backdrop to this discussion is the recent departure of Jose Peseiro, whose contract came to an end. With the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) publicly announcing the vacancy in the coaching position, it seems clear that Peseiro will not be returning to lead the team.

In the interim, names like Finidi George, Emmanuel Amuneke, Sunday Oliseh, and Sia Sia have been circulating as potential successors, with Coach Finidi recently taking charge of the team on a temporary basis.

However, amidst these speculations, there’s a growing concern about the regional politicisation of the coaching role.

Some voices in the media argue that there has been historical underrepresentation of coaches from the northern part of Nigeria in the Super Eagles setup.

They point out that, historically, all twelve indigenous coaches who have led the national team thus far have hailed from the southern region.

This debate has sparked broader questions about whether the selection of the national team’s coach should be based on merit or regional considerations.

Critics of the zoning proposal argue that appointing a coach based solely on their regional background overlooks the crucial factor of merit.

They highlight past administrations, which, regardless of their own regional backgrounds, have appointed coaches whom they believed were best suited for the role.

Ultimately, the central focus should be on selecting the most qualified candidate capable of steering the Super Eagles to success, free from the influence of regional or political factors.

The national team’s success depends on appointing a coach based on their abilities, experience, and vision for the team, rather than on their place of origin.

https://soccernet.ng/2024/03/it-is-the- ... itics.html
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: “It is the turn of the North” – Shameful! Super Eagles coach selection marred by regional politics

Post by Damunk »

This could be a publication’s attempt to stir up controversy.
It’s not deserving of attention IMHO.

BUT I trust my people to give it fuel, fire up the engine and away we go, running. :roll:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: “It is the turn of the North” – Shameful! Super Eagles coach selection marred by regional politics

Post by ohenhen1 »

It won't shock me if this is true. It is probably one of the reasons why some are pushing for a foreign coach. The tribal division and inferiority complex is the driving force behind the WOWO movement. They will even force a Northern coach that is not good enough to be the U20 coach and SE assistant. The politicians know how to divide society while they loot and they have collaborators on this site.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

Awa lokan :taunt: :D
Last edited by Kako on Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Why not, why limit the rotation to only the presidency.
You think they dont play soccer in the North?
There should be qualified footballers and coaches from the North.
Damunk dont pretend that you have not said things in line with this in the past.

Finally there is starting to be parity in SE, long may it continue.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Football is about performance. It is a merit based sport.

joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Damunk wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:19 pm This could be a publication’s attempt to stir up controversy.

BUT I trust my people to give it fuel, fire up the engine and away we go, running. :roll:
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
May your discernment keep growing.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:49 pm Football is about performance. It is a merit based sport.
but leadership is not?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:19 pm This could be a publication’s attempt to stir up controversy.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: i saw this two days ago and ignored it and shook my head. This is so funny. Some Nigerians aren't serious . smh
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
COOKING SPOON
Egg
Egg

Post by COOKING SPOON »

🤣🤣🤣🤣
They seek him here.
They seek him there.
Moderators seek him everywhere.
They seek him at night
And even at noon
That damn elusive cooking spoon
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:23 pm It won't shock me if this is true. It is probably one of the reasons why some are pushing for a foreign coach. The tribal division and inferiority complex is the driving force behind the WOWO movement. They will even force a Northern coach that is not good enough to be the U20 coach and SE assistant. The politicians know how to divide society while they loot and they have collaborators on this site.
Obuh and Aigbogun are not from the North. Enough of all this tribalism.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Again, it's not about foreign or local coach, but these side effects of hiring local coaches for the SE. The local coach at all cost brigade must be ecstatic about this.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ANC wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:36 pm Why not, why limit the rotation to only the presidency.
You think they dont play soccer in the North?
There should be qualified footballers and coaches from the North.
Damunk dont pretend that you have not said things in line with this in the past.

Finally there is starting to be parity in SE, long may it continue.
Let me assume you are misinformed rather than malicious…

When/where necessary, I stick up for all ethnic groups, including northerners, but will never argue for quota systems.
I hope the difference is clear to you now?
Good.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

If we must insist of a local coach, then they have a point.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:58 pm If we must insist of a local coach, then they have a point.
No they don't. You people wonder why Nigeria is not developing.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:14 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:23 pm It won't shock me if this is true. It is probably one of the reasons why some are pushing for a foreign coach. The tribal division and inferiority complex is the driving force behind the WOWO movement. They will even force a Northern coach that is not good enough to be the U20 coach and SE assistant. The politicians know how to divide society while they loot and they have collaborators on this site.
I am talking about Laden Bosso and Salisu. Salisu was in caught red handed taken bribe. They still brought him back. I don't care what region or country you are from. Discrimination is wrong. That zoning crap won't work in football. It is the ultimate merit based sport.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:06 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:58 pm If we must insist of a local coach, then they have a point.
See person discriminating against a white man saying it is the turn of a local coach, complaining about the North insisting it is their turn too. :lol:

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

1naija wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:21 pm Again, it's not about foreign or local coach, but these side effects of hiring local coaches for the SE. The local coach at all cost brigade must be ecstatic about this.
Nigeria coaches are good. And they are technically competent.

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Will you shut up there. Who are the ones pushing themselves into positions they are least qualified for??? :curse: :veryangry:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

ANC wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:54 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:49 pm Football is about performance. It is a merit based sport.
but leadership is not?
Leadership is also about merit. Why do you think Nigeria is not developing?

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:11 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:06 pm
See person discriminating against a white man saying it is the turn of a local coach, complaining about the North insisting it is their turn too. :lol:
I will take Jurgen Klopp. I don't want failed journey man mercenary coaches just because they are white.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:10 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:14 pm
I am talking about Laden Bosso and Salisu. Salisu was in caught red handed taken bribe. They still brought him back. I don't care what region or country you are from. Discrimination is wrong. That zoning crap won't work in football. It is the ultimate merit based sport.
But you are the loudest here calling for the “zoning” of the position to a local coach notwithstanding their ability to deliver. So why are you complaining when those who have been discriminated against insist it is their turn now?

Yo complain about Salisu’s crime. And I agree with you. But I hope you are aware that there are people calling for Siasia who was caught in a match fixing scandal to be coach again. Or the crime of a Northerner carries more weight than that of a Southerner?

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

bret- hart wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:13 pm
Will you shut up there. Who are the ones pushing themselves into positions they are least qualified for??? :curse: :veryangry:
Biko, don’t you ever respond to my post in this manner. Gutter boy who lacks home training. No be your fault.