“It is the turn of the North” – Shameful! Super Eagles coach selection marred by regional politics

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: “It is the turn of the North” – Shameful! Super Eagles coach selection marred by regional politics

Post by ohenhen1 »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:21 pm We don’t want foreign born players, we don’t want foreign born coaches, we don’t want Northern players, we don’t want Northern coaches. What do you really want?
We want the best coaches, the best players. We don't want zoning or discrimination. If you are good. You are good. For example Laden Bosso sucks, get rid of him. Find a better coach.
Political zoning has not helped any region development in Nigeria. Some have been lucky like in Lagos with the political godfatherism of Tinubu. But overall political zoning has been a disaster. Every region is under developed. You want to bring that to football?
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: “It is the turn of the North” – Shameful! Super Eagles coach selection marred by regional politics

Post by aruako1 »

It is one person's opinion which he is entitled to have. I don't agree with it but I'm not offended by it.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:23 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:16 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:11 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:06 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:58 pm If we must insist of a local coach, then they have a point.
No they don't. You people wonder why Nigeria is not developing.
See person discriminating against a white man saying it is the turn of a local coach, complaining about the North insisting it is their turn too. :lol:
I will take Jurgen Klopp. I don't want failed journey man mercenary coaches just because they are white.
What’s the difference between a journeyman white man and a journeyman black man? Please help me.
HERE'S THE DIFFERENCE

A journeyman [Nigerian passport holder] may become good - to the benefit of the country.

A journeyman [non-Nigerian] may also become good - to the benefit of his bank account.

(It's not about race because I'd welcome anybody who carries a Nigerian passport, regardless of race)
Bell
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Bell wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:17 am
Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:23 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:16 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:11 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:06 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:58 pm If we must insist of a local coach, then they have a point.
No they don't. You people wonder why Nigeria is not developing.
See person discriminating against a white man saying it is the turn of a local coach, complaining about the North insisting it is their turn too. :lol:
I will take Jurgen Klopp. I don't want failed journey man mercenary coaches just because they are white.
What’s the difference between a journeyman white man and a journeyman black man? Please help me.
HERE'S THE DIFFERENCE

A journeyman [Nigerian passport holder] may become good - to the benefit of the country.

A journeyman [non-Nigerian] may also become good - to the benefit of his bank account.

(It's not about race because I'd welcome anybody who carries a Nigerian passport, regardless of race)
Bell
Clemence Westerhoff.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:02 am
Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:31 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:01 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:19 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:10 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:14 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:23 pm It won't shock me if this is true. It is probably one of the reasons why some are pushing for a foreign coach. The tribal division and inferiority complex is the driving force behind the WOWO movement. They will even force a Northern coach that is not good enough to be the U20 coach and SE assistant. The politicians know how to divide society while they loot and they have collaborators on this site.
Obuh and Aigbogun are not from the North. Enough of all this tribalism.
I am talking about Laden Bosso and Salisu. Salisu was in caught red handed taken bribe. They still brought him back. I don't care what region or country you are from. Discrimination is wrong. That zoning crap won't work in football. It is the ultimate merit based sport.
But you are the loudest here calling for the “zoning” of the position to a local coach notwithstanding their ability to deliver. So why are you complaining when those who have been discriminated against insist it is their turn now?

Yo complain about Salisu’s crime. And I agree with you. But I hope you are aware that there are people calling for Siasia who was caught in a match fixing scandal to be coach again. Or the crime of a Northerner carries more weight than that of a Southerner?
Lolly

There is nothing wrong in asking for Nigeria to be coached by Nigerians. Similar restrictions exist worldwide. What is abhorrent in Nigeria is insisting that foreign manager is hired to coach Nigeria and preventing Nigerians from coaching their own national team. That is repulsive.
There is nothing wrong with employing foreigners if they are good. While it is wrong to exclude Nigerians, it is also wrong to exclude “white” men. That is racism, nothing else.

We live in a world where people employ the best candidates wherever they come from. Some of us have been employed by the “white” man ahead of other white men. I just can’t support discrimination by colour or place of birth. It is primitive and shouldn’t be found in any civilised world.
Lolly,

While I do not advocate excluding White coaches that are clearly better, it is unforgiveable to exclude locals from jobs in their own country.

However, let me point out to you that there are certain jobs all over the world that foreigners are expressly excluded from. That is not new. However, football is not and should not be one of those jobs. Football is not that important nor is it a security risk.
Thank you.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

INTELLECTUAL DISHONESTY, AT BEST

Equating the call for a Nigerian coach to this misguided call for zoning the coaching position sounds like a deliberate attempt at obfuscation. Nigeria is paying the salary so how can it be zoning it to a Nigerian because foreigners are excluded? Besides, I don't know of a single proponent of a Nigerian only coach who wants it limited to any part of the country, or who wants to exclude any Nigerian due to ethnicity (or even race). All the advocates of a Nigerian coach are asking for is the best Nigerian coach from anywhere in the country. If proponents of a foreign coach are opposed to this they should do so with honest and worthy arguments, not this weak stuff.
Bell
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

ohenhen1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:10 am
Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:21 pm We don’t want foreign born players, we don’t want foreign born coaches, we don’t want Northern players, we don’t want Northern coaches. What do you really want?
We want the best coaches, the best players. We don't want zoning or discrimination. If you are good. You are good. For example Laden Bosso sucks, get rid of him. Find a better coach.
Political zoning has not helped any region development in Nigeria. Some have been lucky like in Lagos with the political godfatherism of Tinubu. But overall political zoning has been a disaster. Every region is under developed. You want to bring that to football?
You want the best coach? So who is the best coach in Nigeria today? Or who has been the best coach over the last 3 years?

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:42 am INTELLECTUAL DISHONESTY, AT BEST

Equating the call for a Nigerian coach to this misguided call for zoning the coaching position sounds like a deliberate attempt at obfuscation. Nigeria is paying the salary so how can it be zoning it to a Nigerian because foreigners are excluded? Besides, I don't know of a single proponent of a Nigerian only coach who wants it limited to any part of the country, or who wants to exclude any Nigerian due to ethnicity (or even race). All the advocates of a Nigerian coach are asking for is the best Nigerian coach from anywhere in the country. If proponents of a foreign coach are opposed to this they should do so with honest and worthy arguments, not this weak stuff.
Bell
Bros, you are the one ignoring all opposing arguments and only selecting the “weak stuff”.
The WOWO fallacy is a typical example. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:23 pm It won't shock me if this is true. It is probably one of the reasons why some are pushing for a foreign coach. The tribal division and inferiority complex is the driving force behind the WOWO movement. They will even force a Northern coach that is not good enough to be the U20 coach and SE assistant. The politicians know how to divide society while they loot and they have collaborators on this site.
I am talking about Laden Bosso and Salisu. Salisu was in caught red handed taken bribe. They still brought him back. I don't care what region or country you are from. Discrimination is wrong. That zoning crap won't work in football. It is the ultimate merit based sport.
But you are the loudest here calling for the “zoning” of the position to a local coach notwithstanding their ability to deliver. So why are you complaining when those who have been discriminated against insist it is their turn now?

Yo complain about Salisu’s crime. And I agree with you. But I hope you are aware that there are people calling for Siasia who was caught in a match fixing scandal to be coach again. Or the crime of a Northerner carries more weight than that of a Southerner?
Lolly

There is nothing wrong in asking for Nigeria to be coached by Nigerians. Similar restrictions exist worldwide. What is abhorrent in Nigeria is insisting that foreign manager is hired to coach Nigeria and preventing Nigerians from coaching their own national team. That is repulsive.
There is nothing wrong with employing foreigners if they are good. While it is wrong to exclude Nigerians, it is also wrong to exclude “white” men. That is racism, nothing else.

We live in a world where people employ the best candidates wherever they come from. Some of us have been employed by the “white” man ahead of other white men. I just can’t support discrimination by colour or place of birth. It is primitive and shouldn’t be found in any civilised world.
Lolly,

While I do not advocate excluding White coaches that are clearly better, it is unforgiveable to exclude locals from jobs in their own country.

However, let me point out to you that there are certain jobs all over the world that foreigners are expressly excluded from. That is not new. However, football is not and should not be one of those jobs. Football is not that important nor is it a security risk.
EII,

I believe there are very valid reasons to exclude white coaches from national team opportunities, the most obvious being that white coaches are a quick fix, have no lasting effect on our football development and are a huge drain on our scanty resources. At the very best, a white coach is merely a stopgap measure🤔❗️

Cheers.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:07 am

Lolly

Lolly,

EII,

I believe there are very valid reasons to exclude white coaches from national team opportunities, the most obvious being that white coaches are a quick fix, have no lasting effect on our football development and are a huge drain on our scanty resources. At the very best, a white coach is merely a stopgap measure🤔❗️

Cheers.
Clemence Westerhoff.

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Lolly wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:59 am

Lolly

Lolly,

EII,

Cheers.
Clemence Westerhoff.
Can Nigeria afford to waste 5 years on another journeyman like Clemens Westerhof❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:20 pm
Lolly wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:59 am

Lolly

Lolly,

EII,

Cheers.
Clemence Westerhoff.
Can Nigeria afford to waste 5 years on another journeyman like Clemens Westerhof❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
Waste? There is no quick fix to our problems. Any coach you bring in now would need at least 2 years to build his own team. And then you can’t predict how long it would take before they win something. Any choice we make now would be a gamble.

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

iworo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:14 pm “It is the turn of the North” – Shameful! Super Eagles coach selection marred by regional politics

The Super Eagles of Nigeria are currently without a permanent head coach following the exit of Jose Peseiro.

A prominent Nigerian media outlet has stirred up a contentious debate by advocating for what they call the “zoning” or rotation of the Super Eagles coaching role, as reported by Soccernet.ng.

This suggestion proposes that the next coach of the national team should hail from the northern region of Nigeria.

Several names have been floated as potential candidates, including Salisu Yusuf, Babaganaru Mohammed, Abdul Maikaba, and Usman Abdallah.

The backdrop to this discussion is the recent departure of Jose Peseiro, whose contract came to an end. With the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) publicly announcing the vacancy in the coaching position, it seems clear that Peseiro will not be returning to lead the team.

In the interim, names like Finidi George, Emmanuel Amuneke, Sunday Oliseh, and Sia Sia have been circulating as potential successors, with Coach Finidi recently taking charge of the team on a temporary basis.

However, amidst these speculations, there’s a growing concern about the regional politicisation of the coaching role.

Some voices in the media argue that there has been historical underrepresentation of coaches from the northern part of Nigeria in the Super Eagles setup.

They point out that, historically, all twelve indigenous coaches who have led the national team thus far have hailed from the southern region.

This debate has sparked broader questions about whether the selection of the national team’s coach should be based on merit or regional considerations.

Critics of the zoning proposal argue that appointing a coach based solely on their regional background overlooks the crucial factor of merit.

They highlight past administrations, which, regardless of their own regional backgrounds, have appointed coaches whom they believed were best suited for the role.

Ultimately, the central focus should be on selecting the most qualified candidate capable of steering the Super Eagles to success, free from the influence of regional or political factors.

The national team’s success depends on appointing a coach based on their abilities, experience, and vision for the team, rather than on their place of origin.

https://soccernet.ng/2024/03/it-is-the- ... itics.html
It was an 'Opinion Piece' published by one of the Naijarian newspapers... I believe, Leadership or something like that.

Anyway, the piece did what the writer wanted it to achieve. Cause people to say, "heck no!". That they would rather have any oyibo than give the position to a Northerner.

This is the typical tactics folks deploy when they want to resist opening up any space to minorities or non/less fancied candidates.

The NFF and their WOWO supporters don't want any local coach. The only way to assure that they are not compelled to consider a local coach is to use such preposterous gross exaggeration to make it about "turn".

They are qualified Naijarians including coaches from Northern Naijaria. If we do hire a local or a foreign coach it will be in their best interest and all of ours that their coaching staff is diverse. Yes, it includes hiring coaches from Northern Naijaria.

No amount of fearmongering or gross exaggeration should stop the call for the hiring process to be more open.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:41 pm
iworo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:14 pm “It is the turn of the North” – Shameful! Super Eagles coach selection marred by regional politics

The Super Eagles of Nigeria are currently without a permanent head coach following the exit of Jose Peseiro.

A prominent Nigerian media outlet has stirred up a contentious debate by advocating for what they call the “zoning” or rotation of the Super Eagles coaching role, as reported by Soccernet.ng.

This suggestion proposes that the next coach of the national team should hail from the northern region of Nigeria.

Several names have been floated as potential candidates, including Salisu Yusuf, Babaganaru Mohammed, Abdul Maikaba, and Usman Abdallah.

The backdrop to this discussion is the recent departure of Jose Peseiro, whose contract came to an end. With the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) publicly announcing the vacancy in the coaching position, it seems clear that Peseiro will not be returning to lead the team.

In the interim, names like Finidi George, Emmanuel Amuneke, Sunday Oliseh, and Sia Sia have been circulating as potential successors, with Coach Finidi recently taking charge of the team on a temporary basis.

However, amidst these speculations, there’s a growing concern about the regional politicisation of the coaching role.

Some voices in the media argue that there has been historical underrepresentation of coaches from the northern part of Nigeria in the Super Eagles setup.

They point out that, historically, all twelve indigenous coaches who have led the national team thus far have hailed from the southern region.

This debate has sparked broader questions about whether the selection of the national team’s coach should be based on merit or regional considerations.

Critics of the zoning proposal argue that appointing a coach based solely on their regional background overlooks the crucial factor of merit.

They highlight past administrations, which, regardless of their own regional backgrounds, have appointed coaches whom they believed were best suited for the role.

Ultimately, the central focus should be on selecting the most qualified candidate capable of steering the Super Eagles to success, free from the influence of regional or political factors.

The national team’s success depends on appointing a coach based on their abilities, experience, and vision for the team, rather than on their place of origin.

It was an 'Opinion Piece' published by one of the Naijarian newspapers... I believe, Leadership or something like that.

Anyway, the piece did what the writer wanted it to achieve. Cause people to say, "heck no!". That they would rather have any oyibo than give the position to a Northerner.

This is the typical tactics folks deploy when they want to resist opening up any space to minorities or non/less fancied candidates.

The NFF and their WOWO supporters don't want any local coach. The only way to assure that they are not compelled to consider a local coach is to use such preposterous gross exaggeration to make it about "turn".

They are qualified Naijarians including coaches from Northern Naijaria. If we do hire a local or a foreign coach it will be in their best interest and all of ours that their coaching staff is diverse. Yes, it includes hiring coaches from Northern Naijaria.

No amount of fearmongering or gross exaggeration should stop the call for the hiring process to be more open.

Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

What da heck is this? :mad: :mad: :mad: :veryangry: :veryangry:

txj wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:22 pm

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Aren’t you concerned that people would rather have any oyibo than give the position to a Northerner?

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

A dance-form illustration of the ridiculousness of this thread and the responses therein, including Cellular's 1Naijas' and txj's...

1naija wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:05 pm What da heck is this? :mad: :mad: :mad: :veryangry: :veryangry:

txj wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:22 pm

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

Comrade you get EYE.. I bow.. the criminals strategy that most has missed...
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Lolly wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:24 pm
Aren’t you concerned that people would rather have any oyibo than give the position to a Northerner?
Very concerned and shameful if you ask me.

We have to do better. I don't know how we can work on our collective bias.

It is hurting us.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:21 pm
Lolly wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:24 pm
Very concerned and shameful if you ask me.

We have to do better. I don't know how we can work on our collective bias.

It is hurting us.

I'm very concerned that you don't see how ridiculous this thread and all the responses are

Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

SOMETHING NEEDING CLARIFICATION

Calling for a Nigerian coach by no means excludes those who are not black. Thus, if, say an Asian, Caucasian or Latin man is eligible for a Nigerian passport by whatever means (naturalization, birth, adoption, marriage, etc), such a man should be welcome as much as the most Nigerian of men to be the national coach.

This clarification is necessary because some are making it a thing of skin color, equating a call for a Nigerian with an exclusion of the "white man", which it's not.

Of course, the overwhelming majority of Nigerians are black but should the rare event happen where a non-black Nigerian is the best candidate nothing should stand in the way of him being hired.
Bell