Which Nigerian Concussed Varane?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Which Nigerian Concussed Varane?

Post by Kabalega »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68713327

Raphael Varane: Man Utd and France defender says heading has 'damaged his body'
Last updated on 2 April 20242 April 2024.
From the section Man Utd

Raphael Varane played for France against Germany at the 2014 World Cup despite suffering concussion in a game a few days earlier
Raphael Varane says he has "damaged his body" because of the continued impact of heading the ball.

Defender Varane, now at Manchester United, says he once finished a France World Cup game in 2014 on "autopilot" after playing on with concussion.

He has called for greater protection and better awareness of the issue.

"My seven-year-old son plays football and I advise him not to head the ball. For me, that's essential," Varane told L'Equipe.

"Even if it doesn't cause any immediate trauma, we know that in the long term, repeated shocks can have harmful effects.

"Personally, I don't know if I'll live to be 100, but I do know that I've damaged my body. The dangers of headers need to be taught on all amateur football pitches and to young people."

Varane cites France's 1-0 quarter-final defeat by Germany at the 2014 World Cup and a Champions League last-16 match with his former club Real Madrid against Manchester City in 2020 as examples of when he played despite being concussed.

The centre-back says he put himself at risk by playing against Germany in 2014, having been hit on the head in a last-16 match against Nigeria a few days before.

"I finished the [Nigeria] match but I was in 'autopilot' mode," he said. "The staff wondered if I was fit [to play Germany]. I was weakened, but ultimately I played and rather well.

"What we'll never know is what would have happened if I had taken another knock to the head.

"As footballers used to playing at the highest level, we are accustomed to pain, we are a bit like soldiers, tough guys, symbols of physical strength, but these [concussions] are symptoms which are quite invisible."

…..
Last edited by Kabalega on Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Which Nigerian Concussed Varane?

Post by mcal »

...if you hit the ball (with intent and precision, head or leg) no damage, no hurt, but if the ball hit your head, leg, or any part of your body, (with no intention, not planned, example getting hit on the head or any part of the body without your knowledge) yeah that will hurt, now and in the long run.

So for Varane, if the concoction was identified at the time, say head clash by 2 players leading to a stoppage, they would not have let him play next match, or continue the said match.
I use to tell my kids when I was a youth coach, hit the ball don't let the ball hit you. We will practice heading, tossing the ball and head it, gradually we progressed to how far they can head it just for them to get used to "hitting the ball and not ball hitting them".

I have been whacked on the head few times without me knowing, example turned away from the person with the ball.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

mcal wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:52 pm ...if you hit the ball (with intent and precision, head or leg) no damage, no hurt, but if the ball hit your head, leg, or any part of your body, (with no intention, not planned, example getting hit on the head or any part of the body without your knowledge) yeah that will hurt, now and in the long run.

So for Varane, if the concoction was identified at the time, say head clash by 2 players leading to a stoppage, they would not have let him play next match, or continue the said match.
I use to tell my kids when I was a youth coach, hit the ball don't let the ball hit you. We will practice heading, tossing the ball and head it, gradually we progressed to how far they can head it just for them to get used to "hitting the ball and not ball hitting them".

I have been whacked on the head few times without me knowing, example turned away from the person with the ball.
Interesting theory.
If the ball has enough force, it can cause damage regardless of intent.

We played with worn-out balls and sometimes with a cone, on them.
Obviously, heading a cone was very painful so you had to time it just right.
When I was 10 years old, I started preparing for those balls by heading walls. You could feel the brains move back and forth. But I still turned out OK. I think… :)
Last edited by Kabalega on Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Kabalega wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:14 pm
mcal wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:52 pm ...if you hit the ball (with intent and precision, head or leg) no damage, no hurt, but if the ball hit your head, leg, or any part of your body, (with no intention, not planned, example getting hit on the head or any part of the body without your knowledge) yeah that will hurt, now and in the long run.

Interesting theory.

We worn-out balls and sometimes with a cone, on them.
When I was 10 years old, I started preparing for those balls by heading walls. You could feel the brains move back and forth. But I still turned out OK. I think… :)
Seriously!!!! Bros, that is child abuse, right there!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:24 pm

Interesting theory.

Prof. I FEAR OOOOO.. Now it is clear who we are dealing with here on this forum.
Not all is well oooo... :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

why is this thread here?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Agbako wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:51 pm
Enugu II wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:24 pm

Interesting theory.

Prof. I FEAR OOOOO.. Now it is clear who we are dealing with here on this forum.
Not all is well oooo... :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Or the green grass. Be glad we didn’t cross paths on the green grass.

As for child abuse, the adults were oblivious to what we were doing. Maybe playing with old wornout, over inflated balls was the problem.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Interesting theory.

...doesn't matter, as long as you saw the ball coming, though a close range shot where the player defend with the head can hurt, and has happened before, but the player knew what he was doing.
Those ones that concuss a player are impact you are not aware of, example trying to head a ball another player badges in and knock yah head, or you turn around to defend an untended hot shot hits your head.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

mcal wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:27 am

Interesting theory.

...doesn't matter, as long as you saw the ball coming, though a close range shot where the player defend with the head can hurt, and has happened before, but the player knew what he was doing.
Those ones that concuss a player are impact you are not aware of, example trying to head a ball another player badges in and knock yah head, or you turn around to defend an untended hot shot hits your head.
Your theory is right to a degree.
Again, even if you head the ball the right way, if it has the right amount of force, it can whiplash the brain and cause brain swelling or bleeding.
That is why in the article, they are promoting limited heading training sessions. These are sessions where you know the ball is coming and prepare for it.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Kabalega wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:21 pm

Interesting theory.

Again, even if you head the ball the right way, if it has the right amount of force, it can whiplash the brain and cause brain swelling or bleeding.
That is why in the article, they are promoting limited heading training sessions. These are sessions where you know the ball is coming and prepare for it.
Kabalega,

Concussion is not a good thing. I have experienced it once but it was in the old days when you would be deemed not man enough if you left the field after such an episode. It is never a good thing and today's world is much better.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:35 pm
Kabalega wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:21 pm

Interesting theory.

Kabalega,

Concussion is not a good thing. I have experienced it once but it was in the old days when you would be deemed not man enough if you left the field after such an episode. It is never a good thing and today's world is much better.
I’m not suggesting it’s a good thing. I’m fully aware of the health issues of former footballers, boxers and American football players.
I wanted to know how Varane got hit in the NIgerian game, because I don’t remember that incident.
I do remember Matuidi taking out Nigeria’s best player (my opinion) and we all know what happened afterwards.

So, was Varane hit before or after the Matuidi incident? How exactly did he get hurt?