AHMED MUSA Explains Cultural Encounter & Controversy

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
AHMED MUSA Explains Cultural Encounter & Controversy

Post by Enugu II »

Ahmed Musa explains greeting controversy at Kano government house
https://businessday.ng/news/article/ahm ... ent-house/
Obidike Okafor

April 3, 2024

In a social media statement, Super Eagles skipper Ahmed Musa has addressed the controversy surrounding a video that showed him bowing to Kano State Governor Abba Yusuf instead of shaking hands. Musa emphasized that his actions stemmed from “cultural respect,” not disrespect as some online commentators suggested.

The video, filmed last month during a visit to the Kano State Government House, sparked debate after Musa greeted Deputy Governor Aminu Gwarzo with a handshake but bowed to Governor Yusuf.
Taking to his social media platform, Ahmed Musa expressed his disappointment that a “simple act of cultural respect” had become a major online discussion. He explained that in Northern Nigerian culture, kneeling and shaking hands are gestures of high respect, which is why he greeted the Deputy Governor in that manner. However, for Governor Yusuf, he chose a deeper bow, a traditional way of showing even greater respect.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AHMED MUSA Explains Cultural Encounter & Controversy

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:26 am
Obidike Okafor

April 3, 2024

In a social media statement, Super Eagles skipper Ahmed Musa has addressed the controversy surrounding a video that showed him bowing to Kano State Governor Abba Yusuf instead of shaking hands. Musa emphasized that his actions stemmed from “cultural respect,” not disrespect as some online commentators suggested.

The video, filmed last month during a visit to the Kano State Government House, sparked debate after Musa greeted Deputy Governor Aminu Gwarzo with a handshake but bowed to Governor Yusuf.
Taking to his social media platform, Ahmed Musa expressed his disappointment that a “simple act of cultural respect” had become a major online discussion. He explained that in Northern Nigerian culture, kneeling and shaking hands are gestures of high respect, which is why he greeted the Deputy Governor in that manner. However, for Governor Yusuf, he chose a deeper bow, a traditional way of showing even greater respect.
Why is he trying so hard to be a Northerner? Musa is from Auchi in Edo State, he was even honoured alongside Victor Osimhen at the recent AFCON by the Edo State FA.
I am happy
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Dammy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:23 am
Obidike Okafor

April 3, 2024

Why is he trying so hard to be a Northerner? Musa is from Auchi in Edo State, he was even honoured alongside Victor Osimhen at the recent AFCON by the Edo State FA.
...they say, "you go to rome do like romans".
Could it be because he grew up and played mostly in the north?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Obidike Okafor

April 3, 2024

Bu his dad is a Northerner and his mum is from Auchi. So why isn’t he is Northerner?

BTW, I think he intentionally didn’t shake the governor’s hand. This is excuse doesn’t sound right.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Lolly wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:40 am
Obidike Okafor

April 3, 2024

Bu his dad is a Northerner and his mum is from Auchi. So why isn’t he is Northerner?

BTW, I think he intentionally didn’t shake the governor’s hand. This is excuse doesn’t sound right.
...respect is shown in various forms, not shaking hands but bowing is one of them in some cultures. In the UK folks never shake the queen or king's hands. Not saying the governor is a king or monarch but perception is the key by the lower person.
Obama was vilified by the US right wingers when he bowed to the Saudi king during his first encounter with the man.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

mcal wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:52 am
Obidike Okafor

April 3, 2024

...respect is shown in various forms, not shaking hands but bowing is one of them in some cultures. In the UK folks never shake the queen or king's hands. Not saying the governor is a king or monarch but perception is the key by the lower person.
Obama was vilified by the US right wingers when he bowed to the Saudi king during his first encounter with the man.
But he shook the hands of the deputy governor. And the governor stretched out his hand, so you shake and bow at the same time. Yorubas do it.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Disagree with 'Northern culture' perspective.... It seems probably a Hausa, or Fulani, and to a large extent North East Culture, not Northern.

When we talk about players in the SE, those from Middle Belt (North Central) are somewhat ignored or invisible when Northern players are discussed.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Lolly wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:08 am
...ok, just saw the video, the gov offered handshake the guy "declined", according to his excuse being cultural.
Well that I no sabi again, because if the person offered their hand you take it, at least in some form.
In the age of covid some will do fist bump.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

trust lolly to be in this thread to turn it to his tribal baiting rubbish
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

But he is not Yoruba.

These Northern moslem guys need to post the nuances of their greetings on their faces so everyone can can know the rules. This friend of mine from the North came the US on a visit with his wife and I went to see them at their hotel. I shook his hand with no problem, but when I tried to shake the wife's hand, she pulled her hands away. I later understood, it's a moslem tradition not to shake a woman's hand. I was a bit offended, but understood it. Next time I met them in Abuja, I didn't try to shake hands with her and everything was okay.

Last November, I went to see the then new GM of Port Harcourt Refinery to introduce myself. I had an appointment, but just before it was my turn to see him, some people from NNPC Headquarters in Abuja showed up unannounced to inspect the Rehabilitation work that was going on. So the secretary asked me to wait, that it should be a quick visit. It ended up taking an over an hour. I was just about to leave when the secretary said he is free to see me now. I walked into his office and he was apologetic about the wait and repeated that it was an unsecheduled visit from his bosses. I said it was okay, and walked to him to shake his hand and he pulled his hand back. I was so offended that I cut the meeting shorter than I had intended to. I haven't forgiven him till this day. In fact just thinking about it now makes me very very very mad.. :veryangry: :veryangry: :mad: :mad:
Lolly wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:07 am
mcal wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:52 am
Obidike Okafor

April 3, 2024

But he shook the hands of the deputy governor. And the governor stretched out his hand, so you shake and bow at the same time. Yorubas do it.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

So Musa did the normal thing.

Lolly, are these governors also wrong?
fabio wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:20 pm
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

1naija wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:09 pm But he is not Yoruba.

These Northern moslem guys need to post the nuances of their greetings on their faces so everyone can can know the rules. This friend of mine from the North came the US on a visit with his wife and I went to see them at their hotel. I shook his hand with no problem, but when I tried to shake the wife's hand, she pulled her hands away. I later understood, it's a moslem tradition not to shake a woman's hand. I was a bit offended, but understood it. Next time I met them in Abuja, I didn't try to shake hands with her and everything was okay.

Last November, I went to see the then new GM of Port Harcourt Refinery to introduce myself. I had an appointment, but just before it was my turn to see him, some people from NNPC Headquarters in Abuja showed up unannounced to inspect the Rehabilitation work that was going on. So the secretary asked me to wait, that it should be a quick visit. It ended up taking an over an hour. I was just about to leave when the secretary said he is free to see me now. I walked into his office and he was apologetic about the wait and repeated that it was an unsecheduled visit from his bosses. I said it was okay, and walked to him to shake his hand and he pulled his hand back. I was so offended that I cut the meeting shorter than I had intended to. I haven't forgiven him till this day. In fact just thinking about it now makes me very very very mad.. :veryangry: :veryangry: :mad: :mad:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: yeye oil bunkerer. What kind of "introduction" were you trying to do?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

1naija wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:54 pm So Musa did the normal thing.

how many governors did you see in the Video?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Did you watch the video you posted?
fabio wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:04 pm

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I went to discuss synergies that may exist between the two operations. You can call ours kpofire all you want, but we are all crude oil refiners.

metalalloy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:59 pm

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: yeye oil bunkerer. What kind of "introduction" were you trying to do?
Last edited by 1naija on Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

1naija wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:43 pm Did you watch the video you posted?
fabio wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:04 pm

Yes.

How many Governors did you see the video?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:20 pm
That happened during COVID, though one of the men reluctantly shook his hands.

So Musa might be right afterwards. But he shook the hand of the Deputy Governor. Does that mean that the deputy is a lesser man?

King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

1naija wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:46 pm I went to discuss synergies that may exist between the two operations. You can call ours kpofire all you want, but we are are crude oil refiners.

if you don't mind me asking brother what made you more angry this incident described above or this below.

Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :veryangry: :veryangry:
King Futcha wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:28 pm
1naija wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:46 pm I went to discuss synergies that may exist between the two operations. You can call ours kpofire all you want, but we are are crude oil refiners.

if you don't mind me asking brother what made you more angry this incident described above or this below.