How many world class players do we have?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
How many world class players do we have?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

How many of our players are world class players at their relative positions? Good enough to be a starter for a top 5 team in a top 5 league in the Epl, Spain, Germany, Italy or France.

I think we have 6. Osihmen, Okoye, Bassey, , Boniface, Chukwueze and Sanusi. I know a lot of people don’t rate Sanusi but dude is a defensive beast at the LB position. He barely makes but he makes it.
OCCUPY NFF!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: How many world class players do we have

Honorable mention for Iwobi but he misses out due to lack of consistent end product.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: How many world class players do we have?

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:26 am How many of our players are world class players at their relative positions? Good enough to be a starter for a top 5 team in a top 5 league in the Epl, Spain, Germany, Italy or France.

I think we have 6. Osihmen, Okoye, Bassey, , Boniface, Chukwueze and Sanusi. I know a lot of people don’t rate Sanusi but dude is a defensive beast at the LB position. He barely makes but he makes it.
Na so world class be? Kai.

Chukwueze, world class? Abeg, change the definition of world class. I bet no one else will name those players world class except Nigerians. Be realistic. There is only one world class player in Nigeria in my opinion and that is Osimhen.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:26 am How many of our players are world class players at their relative positions? Good enough to be a starter for a top 5 team in a top 5 league in the Epl, Spain, Germany, Italy or France.

No Lookman ?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:05 am

Chukwueze, world class? Abeg, change the definition of world class. I bet no one else will name those players world class except Nigerians. Be realistic. There is only one world class player in Nigeria in my opinion and that is Osimhen.
Yes he is actually. Milan is 2nd in serie A and Chuks has been starting lately. I think you'd agree than Milan is a world class team with world class players. Wouldn't you? Then again, it's likely you believe that Chukwueze is the only Milan player that's not world class.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Osimhen is the only world class player that we have. The others including Iwobi, Aina and Lookman are international class. Level or levels below world class but can hold their own at the highest levels
I am happy
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

This is world class Joblessness. What is a world class player?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:45 pm

Yes he is actually. Milan is 2nd in serie A and Chuks has been starting lately. I think you'd agree than Milan is a world class team with world class players. Wouldn't you? Then again, it's likely you believe that Chukwueze is the only Milan player that's not world class.
Milan’s entire starting lineup is not world class. The only world class player they have right now is Rafa Leao…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Okoye world class🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 then what about Uzoho?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

maceo4 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:30 pm

Milan’s entire starting lineup is not world class. The only world class player they have right now is Rafa Leao…
I clearly defended world class as follows.

“ Good enough to be a starter for a top 5 team in a top 5 league in the Epl, Spain, Germany, Italy or France”.
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:29 pm

“ Good enough to be a starter for a top 5 team in a top 5 league in the Epl, Spain, Germany, Italy or France”.
That’s your weird definition…and if that’s the case how come you listed the likes of Iwobi and Okoye? Are they starters for a top 5 team? And per your definition since Napoli is currently 7th…what’s that say about our man’s dem?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:32 pm

That’s your weird definition…and if that’s the case how come you listed the likes of Iwobi and Okoye? Are they starters for a top 5 team? And per your definition since Napoli is currently 7th…what’s that say about our man’s dem?
At the rate the term world class is being thrown around, every Tom, d#$% & Harry is World Class. BTW, if those are all World Class then USA must have 15 or so world class players and how many does Brazil have? 30? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Kai, even Okoye is World Class when Nwabali is not? Na waa ooo! Chukwueze is but Simon is not? Naaaa, go review your rubric bro.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:25 pm

At the rate the term world class is being thrown around, every Tom, d#$% & Harry is World Class. BTW, if those are all World Class then USA must have 15 or so world class players and how many does Brazil have? 30? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Kai, even Okoye is World Class when Nwabali is not? Na waa ooo! Chukwueze is but Simon is not? Naaaa, go review your rubric bro.
A player has to be in the top 1% in his position to be a regular for any of the top 5 teams in the top leagues. You really have to that good. Then you have the elite players who are at the very top of this small group of players. The Mbappes, Messi. DeBruyne and Co, There're just a very select few of them. I bring this up because I believe we should have a standard for SE invite instead of inviting players hoping they'll be good enough. That has to be the goal.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:20 pm

A player has to be in the top 1% in his position to be a regular for any of the top 5 teams in the top leagues. You really have to that good. Then you have the elite players who are at the very top of this small group of players. The Mbappes, Messi. DeBruyne and Co, There're just a very select few of them. I bring this up because I believe we should have a standard for SE invite instead of inviting players hoping they'll be good enough. That has to be the goal.
Emir,

You bring up an interesting conversation and one that has been going on, undercurrent, for years on this site. For me, I have a HUGE problem with the supposition for several reasons. Let me joust point to a few: (1) Football talent and performance is always transient i.e. form can only be temporal and this is why even the Big 5 that is often cited quickly go out to widen sources for their talent on an annual basis. (2) Footballers from Africa are not like those in Europe. What do I mean? They are less concerned about the Big 5 and more concerned about seeking a pay day wherever that may come. You will be surprised that supremely talented players from Nigeria may end up going to the Middle East whereas a less talented player from that same Nigeria goes to France. (3) Given the realities of Nigeria, using the BIG 5 to assess level of talent can be very deceptive. (4) Football talent scouting is not as foolproof as you may think. The current scouting in football misses a lot of talent. Why for instance is Nwabali still in South Africa while we have less talented goalkeepers in Europe? (5) Current starters in European Top 5 clubs are not necessarily better than other starters elsewhere. They merely owe their starting positions to the subjective view of their current manager. A new manager may simply put them on the bench while signing a new lad from outside the Big 5. This does not necessarily mean that the bench player is no longer objectively good. It simply means that the new manager has a different idea of how good he is.

You know, with our Top 5 league players we will still huff and puff while paying against South Africa (a team loaded with players from the South African league) as we have done playing against those from the league in Botswana. What have you learned from that, I may ask?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Osimhen! Then Boniface may get there soon
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I'll give it to Boniface, about to be a Bundesliga winner and might potentially win the Europa league...has more to his game than just scoring as well.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Only Osimhen at the moment.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

metalalloy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:17 pm Only Osimhen at the moment.
Lol
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

:taunt:
SIGNED
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:22 am :taunt:
SIGNED
Simple as that, and in fact Osimhen just shaves it. I dont think people understand what it takes to be a world class player. imagine saying we have 6-7. :lol: so France , Brazil, Argentina have 50 each? :rotf:

Some leagues only have 1-3 world class players. When you say world class, you are referring to the creme de la creme of world football. A player who stands above others, and has performed at a high level, season after season.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

danfo driver wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:27 am
Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:22 am :taunt:
SIGNED
Simple as that, and in fact Osimhen just shaves it. I dont think people understand what it takes to be a world class player. imagine saying we have 6-7. :lol: so France , Brazil, Argentina have 50 each? :rotf:

Some leagues only have 1-3 world class players. When you say world class, you are referring to the creme de la creme of world football. A player who stands above others, and has performed at a high level, season after season.
Not sure Emir fully understands what a World Class player should be. How can one be world class and yet be bit-part contributor at his club? It defies logic.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:19 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:20 pm

Emir,

You bring up an interesting conversation and one that has been going on, undercurrent, for years on this site. For me, I have a HUGE problem with the supposition for several reasons. Let me joust point to a few: (1) Football talent and performance is always transient i.e. form can only be temporal and this is why even the Big 5 that is often cited quickly go out to widen sources for their talent on an annual basis. (2) Footballers from Africa are not like those in Europe. What do I mean? They are less concerned about the Big 5 and more concerned about seeking a pay day wherever that may come. You will be surprised that supremely talented players from Nigeria may end up going to the Middle East whereas a less talented player from that same Nigeria goes to France. (3) Given the realities of Nigeria, using the BIG 5 to assess level of talent can be very deceptive. (4) Football talent scouting is not as foolproof as you may think. The current scouting in football misses a lot of talent. Why for instance is Nwabali still in South Africa while we have less talented goalkeepers in Europe? (5) Current starters in European Top 5 clubs are not necessarily better than other starters elsewhere. They merely owe their starting positions to the subjective view of their current manager. A new manager may simply put them on the bench while signing a new lad from outside the Big 5. This does not necessarily mean that the bench player is no longer objectively good. It simply means that the new manager has a different idea of how good he is.

You know, with our Top 5 league players we will still huff and puff while paying against South Africa (a team loaded with players from the South African league) as we have done playing against those from the league in Botswana. What have you learned from that, I may ask?

Oga,

I understand your position regarding my claim that the best players in the world play in the top 5 leagues, that the elite of those are what we refer to as world class. However, your argument about talent been transient, African talent having to earn a living regardless of where they play, scouting inconsistencies in identifying talent and players in lower leagues been as good at those in the top 5 really does not explain the huge gap in quality that we all know exist.

Talent requires years of development to be a professional player, an ongoing football education of a decade plus to be in the top 1% of players in the world. To claim that somehow the players at the top 5 teams in the top 5 leagues are not necessarily better than those in lower leagues is erroneous to say the least. Yes scouting is not a precise science but it is still the best way we have to discover new talent. Raw talent is deceiving because it’s not an indication of future success, all you have to do is look at the % of U17 players who go to the WC but never develop into pros, it’s close to 75%. The number goes down at the U20 level because the players have had more football education but it’s still well over 50%. The players that make it to be regulars at the top teams are the best of the best, not only in potential but actually.

Based on your argument, there’re world class players who play in lower leagues because they need to make money is mostly not true since we don’t have any evidence of such. The talent might be there but in 99% of these cases the results are not matching the talent. Also, there’s this assumption that Nigeria is full of world class talent that just need a chance to become superstars,that is also false. Yes we do have a lot of raw football talent but there’re no Mikels, JJ, Kanu, a Osihmen’s playing under the bridge waiting to be discovered by a good football Samaritan. Our problem is that we do not have the infrastructure to develop the players that we do have into better football professionals. The good news is that we now have more academies and facilities in the business of developing young players. If they’re lucky they might discover a handful of top prospects a year. As for elite prospects, that’s a whole different matter but our odds are better today than ever before.

In the last few yrs some blue chip elite level talent have come out of Nigeria in Osihmen, Boniface, Frederick, Akinsanmiro and a couple others. I remain optimistic about the future.
OCCUPY NFF!!
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Victor Osimhen, and maybe soon Victor Boniface. Behind them Bassey, Lookman.