Samson Siasia alleges pay disparity at NFF: Foreign coaches earn $50k, locals just N1M

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Samson Siasia alleges pay disparity at NFF: Foreign coaches earn $50k, locals just N1M

Post by iworo »

The Nigeria Football Federation is currently in search for the next coach of the Nigerian senior national team

Former Nigerian international Samson Siasia has raised concerns over what he perceives as unequal treatment of local coaches compared to foreign counterparts by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Soccernet.ng reports.

Siasia emphasized that local coaches are not afforded the same level of appreciation and job security as foreign coaches.

He criticized the NFF for their tendency to dismiss local coaches quickly after a single loss, while foreign coaches are given more time to prove themselves.

Portuguese coach Jose Peseiro, who signed a $70,000 deal with the NFF, managed the Nigerian national team for 22 months before finding success in the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations.

However, Siasia pointed out that local coaches are often not given a similar opportunity to demonstrate their capabilities.
“They didn’t give Nigeria people [local coaches] four years, you lose one match they [NFF] fire you. That’s the truth. The white people will come, you give them [more time], [and] you pay them more money.” Siasia said on Athlst.
Former Chelsea player, Celestine Babayaro, in the conversation also single out the pampering of foreign coaches by the NFF.
“We had a white person that came, after he lost, not only did the NFF increase money, they also sent him on a coaching course.” Babayaro said, and Siasia responded, saying, “And we, they won’t send us anywhere and they want us to be better.”
The issue of salary disparity was also raised, with Siasia criticizing the NFF for offering significantly lower salaries to local coaches compared to their foreign counterparts.

He argued that the disparity in salaries makes it challenging for local coaches to support themselves and their staff.
“They will pay the white man $50,000 monthly, and pay local hires ₦1,000,000. From the million naira, the coaching staff will also take inside, and you also have to feed your family.” he added.
As the NFF continues its search for the next coach of the Super Eagles, former player Emmanuel Amuneke has been linked with the role.

https://soccernet.ng/2024/04/samson-sia ... t-n1m.html
iworo
Egg
Egg
Re: Samson Siasia alleges pay disparity at NFF: Foreign coaches earn $50k, locals just N1M

Post by iworo »

Once again, I maintain that Samson Siasia stands as the sole capable and experienced LOCAL coach truly qualified to lead the Nigerian Super Eagles, despite doubts stemming from a past corruption incident. This article highlights the main reason behind the consistent corruption practices among local coaches in Nigeria. The issue will persist until the pay disparity between local and foreign coaches is resolved.

I anticipate some may object, citing Siasia's ban from football-related activities over alleged corruption. However, what perplexes me was the reinstatement of another coach (Salisu Yusuf) with a similar issue. Yusuf was reinstated as the Super Eagles assistant coach and head coach of the home-based Eagles. Why this double standard?
gochino
Egg
Egg
Re: Samson Siasia alleges pay disparity at NFF: Foreign coaches earn $50k, locals just N1M

Post by gochino »

:roll: Celestine Babayaro??
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

iworo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:49 pm Samson Siasia alleges pay disparity at NFF: Foreign coaches earn $50k, locals just N1M

The Nigeria Football Federation is currently in search for the next coach of the Nigerian senior national team

Former Nigerian international Samson Siasia has raised concerns over what he perceives as unequal treatment of local coaches compared to foreign counterparts by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Soccernet.ng reports.

Siasia emphasized that local coaches are not afforded the same level of appreciation and job security as foreign coaches.

He criticized the NFF for their tendency to dismiss local coaches quickly after a single loss, while foreign coaches are given more time to prove themselves.

Portuguese coach Jose Peseiro, who signed a $70,000 deal with the NFF, managed the Nigerian national team for 22 months before finding success in the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations.

However, Siasia pointed out that local coaches are often not given a similar opportunity to demonstrate their capabilities.
“They didn’t give Nigeria people [local coaches] four years, you lose one match they [NFF] fire you. That’s the truth. The white people will come, you give them [more time], [and] you pay them more money.” Siasia said on Athlst.
Former Chelsea player, Celestine Babayaro, in the conversation also single out the pampering of foreign coaches by the NFF.
“We had a white person that came, after he lost, not only did the NFF increase money, they also sent him on a coaching course.” Babayaro said, and Siasia responded, saying, “And we, they won’t send us anywhere and they want us to be better.”
The issue of salary disparity was also raised, with Siasia criticizing the NFF for offering significantly lower salaries to local coaches compared to their foreign counterparts.

He argued that the disparity in salaries makes it challenging for local coaches to support themselves and their staff.
“They will pay the white man $50,000 monthly, and pay local hires ₦1,000,000. From the million naira, the coaching staff will also take inside, and you also have to feed your family.” he added.
As the NFF continues its search for the next coach of the Super Eagles, former player Emmanuel Amuneke has been linked with the role.

WHAT'S NEW HERE?

These gentlemen are only saying what we've always known, and one of the many sins by the NFF and Nigerians that have irked us, a disgraceful stance that paints another Nigerian as inferior to the foreign import, demonstrated in the disparity in remuneration and respect.
Bell
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Bell wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:10 am
iworo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:49 pm Samson Siasia alleges pay disparity at NFF: Foreign coaches earn $50k, locals just N1M

WHAT'S NEW HERE?

These gentlemen are only saying what we've always known, and one of the many sins by the NFF and Nigerians that have irked us, a disgraceful stance that paints another Nigerian as inferior to the foreign import, demonstrated in the disparity in remuneration and respect.
Bell
Siasia is worth N750k but got N1m, he should be happy.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Keshi was never paid “N1m” and neither was Oliseh.
So which figures is he quoting and from when?
If he agreed to “N1m” salary, na im do imsef.

I see this being brought up all the time.
Meanwhile the same noisy Nigerian black panthers argue that a Nigerian coach is “cheaper”, suggesting even they don’t think the Nigerians should be paid $50k/month. So which one is it?

Please, we should pay ALL our SE head coaches internationally competitive rates.
Amuneke needs to negotiate his salary, just like Keshi and Oliseh did.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: [/size]id=146]
Keshi was never paid “N1m” and neither was Oliseh.
So which figures is he quoting and from when?
If he agreed to “N1m” salary, na im do imsef.

I see this being brought up all the time.
Meanwhile the same noisy Nigerian black panthers argue that a Nigerian coach is “cheaper”, suggesting even they don’t think the Nigerians should be paid $50k/month. So which one is it?

Please, we should pay ALL our SE head coaches internationally competitive rates.
Amuneke needs to negotiate his salary, just like Keshi and Oliseh did.
Neither was Siasia paid N1m. His monthly wage of N7.5m in 2011 was equivalent to $50,000.

And he used his won mouth to say bribery to include players has come to an end. He is well known for that.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/n5m ... to-scouts/
N5m monthly pay: Siasia’s Salary Goes To Scouts

By Tony Ubani

Super Eagles coach, Samson Siasia has let Nigerians into his N5 million monthly pay by saying that much of that money goes into the hiring of scouts to make his job easier.

Many Nigerians who earn peanuts always marvel each time they hear that the coach pockets N5 million monthly. But speaking yesterday on Tom Tom Editors’ Round table, the coach said that he had to employ scouts from different countries to keep tabs on Nigerian players. “The money may be big but I use it to employ scouts from different places in the world.

The NFF do not pay these scouts and I have to use my salary to settle them. It is important I do this so that we can achieve something spectacular with the team”.

He confessed that the Eagles job was the toughest job but noted that the prayers of Nigerians and the co-operation of the Press would see him soar higher. “I am not a magician or a miracle worker. We are not going to change the team overnight. We still need experienced players but everything is going to be on merit. There will be no sentiment in selecting players.

There is no room to bribe anybody to make the team. That era is gone. I promise that even when we don’t win matches, Nigerians will be proud of their players. We need time”.

He however advised the FA to pick quality friendlies for the team. “If we don’t have good matches, how do we improve?”, he said in apparent reference to the cancelled Guatemala match which many people frowned at.

Commenting on his stubborn nature, he said; “I am not stubborn but the truth is that if you owe me, I must collect my money one way or the other. That is not being stubborn”.

Samson Siasia would not stop players from having a day-off with their wives and girlfriends during his tenure as Super Eagles coach.

The coach said that camp rules would be strict but agreed that players, once in a while need to relax with their WAGs — Wives and Girl Friends. “It is only in this part of the world that people frown at players having their WAGS.

We are not going to be rigid about that. There are days they will be with their loved ones to get the best from them”
After all, all work and no play …..
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

So these ‘competitive’ salaries started even before Keshi?
Me that have been thinking all the while that he was the one that forced the NFF to pay him adequately.

Are we sure about this? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

So why does nobody bring these figures up?
Answer: It is an Inconvenient Truth and doesn’t help their lopsided argument.

People would rather go back 15 years to quote the poor salaries for local coaches as if it still applies today.
And Siasia quoting “N1m” is disingenuous.
Why he no remember the N7.5m wey dem pay am?

Maybe that N7.5m was per annum. :tic:
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Based on my assessment of the story, it appears that although he is officially listed to receive N7.5m (or N5m or whatever), his actual share amounts to only N1m, with the remainder being distributed among NFF officials. :P :tic:
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

iworo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:38 pm Based on my assessment of the story, it appears that although he is officially listed to receive N7.5m (or N5m or whatever), his actual share amounts to only N1m, with the remainder being distributed among NFF officials. :P :tic:
Even Siasia that lies a lot won’t even say what you wrote here. Nice try.

CCC was the lowest paid local coach of recent times and even his salary was $10,000 per month. I guess Siasia is referring to youth coaches.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Exactly the point I was making about pay disparity a few weeks ago.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:02 pm Exactly the point I was making about pay disparity a few weeks ago.
What point? Siasia was paid $50,000 in 2010. Peseiro was paid the same $50,000 fourteen years later. Where is the disparity both of you claim?

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Lolly wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:30 pm
aruako1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:02 pm Exactly the point I was making about pay disparity a few weeks ago.
What point? Siasia was paid $50,000 in 2010. Peseiro was paid the same $50,000 fourteen years later. Where is the disparity both of you claim?
50k for a Nigerian as a coach? stop making me laugh :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:32 pm
Of course you won’t have anything to say since the facts don’t align with the noise you people have been making on CE.

For the record, Siasia demanded for $100,000 per month plus a $1m signing on fee. He eventually settled for N7.5m per month. And “succeeded” in messing up our AFCON qualification.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:36 pm
Of course you won’t have anything to say since the facts don’t align with the noise you people have been making on CE.

For the record, Siasia demanded for $100,000 per month plus a $1m signing on fee. He eventually settled for N7.5m per month. And “succeeded” in messing up our AFCON qualification.
Chai!!
No, seriously?

Please…can you back this up so that these WOWOOR Amandla! people can let us hear word small. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
So we are going back 14 years to make a case for 2024?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

just making up ish... which 50k did the NFF pay Siasia? in 2012, He took over after Egu and in 15 over Oliseh...lolly you are a funny guy. 50k SSS yeah right :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Please take it up with Siasia. I'll take his word over yours on this matter. We are both faceless internet forumers. And my point remains.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:13 pm
Please take it up with Siasia. I'll take his word over yours on this matter. We are both faceless internet forumers. And my point remains.
Na why I ax am for anoda thread if he was being serious.
He is arguing with the person who actually received the pay.
He wants to go with media reports?

Sometimes I wonder if Damunk is just trying to stir the pot...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:03 pm

just making up ish... which 50k did the NFF pay Siasia? in 2012, He took over after Egu and in 15 over Oliseh...lolly you are a funny guy. 50k SSS yeah right :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Facts not feelings. He was appointed in November 2010 taking over from Lagerback and sacked in 2011.

Have you guys really forgotten or you are just feigning ignorance? Or you are a lazy youth who can’t do basic research?
Samson Siaisa fired as Nigeria coach

28 October 2011

Samson Siasia has been fired as Nigeria coach for failing to take the country to the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations.

The executive committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) ratified the decision to sack the coach on Friday.

This comes after the NFF's technical committee recommended the dismissal of the former international.

Siasia came under huge pressure after the Super Eagles failed to qualify for the continent's flagship tournament.

Three weeks ago the Super Eagles had failed to qualify for a Nations Cup finals for the first time since the 1986 edition in Egypt.

The 44-year-old Siasia was a popular choice after he guided Nigeria to the final of the 2005 Fifa Under-20 World Cup in the Netherlands and then the final of the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

However, he fell out of favour after his team could only draw 2-2 with Guinea in Abuja earlier this month in a match Nigeria needed to win to stand a chance of qualifying for the Cup of Nations in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.

Local media have speculated that former Nigeria skipper Stephen Keshi will take over the team in an interim capacity for six months.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Which word? That he wasn’t paid N7.5m in 2010 when he took over from Lagerback? Where did he claim he wasn’t paid that amount?

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:42 am So these ‘competitive’ salaries started even before Keshi?
Me that have been thinking all the while that he was the one that forced the NFF to pay him adequately.

Are we sure about this? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

So why does nobody bring these figures up?
Answer: It is an Inconvenient Truth and doesn’t help their lopsided argument.

People would rather go back 15 years to quote the poor salaries for local coaches as if it still applies today.
And Siasia quoting “N1m” is disingenuous.
Why he no remember the N7.5m wey dem pay am?

Maybe that N7.5m was per annum. :tic:
Damunk,

Think for one moment what you are stating here.

So you think you are more aware of these payments that the members of the House of Reps sports committee that have come out to state that the reason they want to hire a local is because they can afford one. Or you think that others who have mentioned this pay disparity are simply blowing hot smoke? Think again.

The reality is that the claim of paying managers equivalent salaries can only be made as per Keshi and Oliseh. The rest, you will need more to demonstrate this given what sources in more credible [positions to know have already stated.

In fact, we had someone like Txj arguing years ago that the well known disparity at that time was okay because, according to him, foreign workers should be paid more than those who are local. This was prior to Keshi insisting that he should be paid an equivalent. Keshi won that argument and he was duly paid. But not before Keshi, No sir! Keshi fought for it and I am not even sure that he received the top end of it at that time.

Just as an aside, this reminds me when locally based players were paid much less than their foreign counterparts and it was acceptable until Oliseh fought for it. Masny were willing to go on with such disparity.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

we all know this , the question is for you to show the NFF were paying SSS $50k a month salary
Lolly wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:25 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:03 pm

Facts not feelings. He was appointed in November 2010 taking over from Lagerback and sacked in 2011.

Have you guys really forgotten or you are just feigning ignorance? Or you are a lazy youth who can’t do basic research?
Samson Siaisa fired as Nigeria coach

28 October 2011

Samson Siasia has been fired as Nigeria coach for failing to take the country to the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations.

The executive committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) ratified the decision to sack the coach on Friday.

This comes after the NFF's technical committee recommended the dismissal of the former international.

Siasia came under huge pressure after the Super Eagles failed to qualify for the continent's flagship tournament.

Three weeks ago the Super Eagles had failed to qualify for a Nations Cup finals for the first time since the 1986 edition in Egypt.

The 44-year-old Siasia was a popular choice after he guided Nigeria to the final of the 2005 Fifa Under-20 World Cup in the Netherlands and then the final of the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

However, he fell out of favour after his team could only draw 2-2 with Guinea in Abuja earlier this month in a match Nigeria needed to win to stand a chance of qualifying for the Cup of Nations in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.

Local media have speculated that former Nigeria skipper Stephen Keshi will take over the team in an interim capacity for six months.
SuperEagles

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Cellular wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:23 pm
Na why I ax am for anoda thread if he was being serious.
He is arguing with the person who actually received the pay.
He wants to go with media reports?

Sometimes I wonder if Damunk is just trying to stir the pot...
Siasia never said he was paid N1m per month to manage the SE. Show us where he said so. At least not in that video.

There are articles where he accepted the N7.5m per month contract to coach the SE in 2010.