Ahmed Musa || King in the North

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Ahmed Musa || King in the North

Post by iworo »

Jon Snow :lol: :lol: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Ahmed Musa || King in the North

Post by Damunk »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Interesting debate, if allowed.
Instead dem wan kill di guy.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The truth of the matter is that the designation "King of the North" limits Ahmed Musa's accomplishment to a section of the country. In my view, Ahmed Musa is a national icon and not a sectional one. He has a point that Musa accomplished more for Nigeria's national team than Nwankwo Kanu. I think if people look closely without conflating Kanu's career at Arsenal/Ajax/Milan with his Nigerian career, you will come to the conclusion that Musa had a better career for Nigeria than Kanu Nwankwo. While, I will not put Musa among the top three for Nigeria, he is definitely up there and will rank in my view ahead of Kanu Nwankwo when we focus solely on performance for the senior team of Nigeria.

In fact, this why I often shudder when persons include Kanu Nwankwo in Nigeria's All time X. That makes me shake my head. Kanu barely played 50 minutes a game for Nigeria, did not even score a goal as a forward at an AFCON. Yet, some conflate his club career with his Nigerian career and put him in an All Time XI. I do not think he belongs there.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:55 pm The truth of the matter is that the designation "King of the North" limits Ahmed Musa's accomplishment to a section of the country. In my view, Ahmed Musa is a national icon and not a sectional one. He has a point that Musa accomplished more for Nigeria's national team than Nwankwo Kanu. I think if people look closely without conflating Kanu's career at Arsenal/Ajax/Milan with his Nigerian career, you will come to the conclusion that Musa had a better career for Nigeria than Kanu Nwankwo. While, I will not put Musa among the top three for Nigeria, he is definitely up there and will rank in my view ahead of Kanu Nwankwo when we focus solely on performance for the senior team of Nigeria.

In fact, this why I often shudder when persons include Kanu Nwankwo in Nigeria's All time X. That makes me shake my head. Kanu barely played 50 minutes a game for Nigeria, did not even score a goal as a forward at an AFCON. Yet, some conflate his club career with his Nigerian career and put him in an All Time XI. I do not think he belongs there.
Uh oh, you’ll cause a riot ooo.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:55 pm The truth of the matter is that the designation "King of the North" limits Ahmed Musa's accomplishment to a section of the country. In my view, Ahmed Musa is a national icon and not a sectional one. He has a point that Musa accomplished more for Nigeria's national team than Nwankwo Kanu. I think if people look closely without conflating Kanu's career at Arsenal/Ajax/Milan with his Nigerian career, you will come to the conclusion that Musa had a better career for Nigeria than Kanu Nwankwo. While, I will not put Musa among the top three for Nigeria, he is definitely up there and will rank in my view ahead of Kanu Nwankwo when we focus solely on performance for the senior team of Nigeria.

How many assists did Kanu have ?

He was more of a creative player than anything else. You cannot judge Kanu by goals scored

Also Musa literally had NOTHING to do with our afcon win in 2013. He sat on the bench for Ideye Brown. So that cannot be used to boost his profile.

I know who I would rather reincarnate in their prime to SE if I had a choice.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:14 am

How many assists did Kanu have ?

He was more of a creative player than anything else. You cannot judge Kanu by goals scored

Also Musa literally had NOTHING to do with our afcon win in 2013. He sat on the bench for Ideye Brown. So that cannot be used to boost his profile.

I know who I would rather reincarnate in their prime to SE if I had a choice.
VE

Assists? Actually, Musa has more assists than Kanu and more than several SE central midfielders. In any case, Kanu was a striker. The thing is that Kanu is a mercurial ball player but I really thing his hype precedes his productivity.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...haters will always hate the guy. Musa is simply not as flamboyant as the others for them to accept he is way up there than their euro-stars.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mcal wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:46 am ...haters will always hate the guy. Musa is simply not as flamboyant as the others for them to accept he is way up there than their euro-stars.
Mcal

I think it is more about an inability to differentiate between performance for the SE and performance with Euro clubs. If for instance we are to rank best ever Nigerian players to play for Euro clubs, I will put Nwankwo Kanu at the very top without any hesitation. He was that good! But for the SE? No! He just was not among the best in the colors of Nigeria. There is a difference. Unfortunately, most are not able to separate and make the difference.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:53 am
mcal wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:46 am ...haters will always hate the guy. Musa is simply not as flamboyant as the others for them to accept he is way up there than their euro-stars.
Mcal

I think it is more about an inability to differentiate between performance for the SE and performance with Euro clubs. If for instance we are to rank best ever Nigerian players to play for Euro clubs, I will put Nwankwo Kanu at the very top without any hesitation. He was that good! But for the SE? No! He just was not among the best in the colors of Nigeria. There is a difference. Unfortunately, most are not able to separate and make the difference.
It’s not they are unable to if they tried. They just don’t want to.

I am a certified King Kanu Shriner, always have been.
But on these very specific parameters, I have to agree.

Musa did more for the Super Eagles than Kanu.
Remember also that many wrongly see his superlative performance at the ‘96 Olympics as a Super Eagles one.
It wasn’t.
But it will never be forgotten.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Damunk wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:04 am
Mcal

Remember, many wrongly see his superlative performance at the ‘96 Olympics as a Super Eagles one.
It wasn’t. But it will never be forgotten.
Personally, I’ve never watched Kanu score a goal for SE.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:06 am
Mcal

Remember, many wrongly see his superlative performance at the ‘96 Olympics as a Super Eagles one.
It wasn’t. But it will never be forgotten.
Personally, I’ve never watched Kanu score a goal for SE.
Because there are unfortunately too few of them.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Mcal

Kanu was also injured quite a lot if I remember correctly.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:20 am
Mcal

Kanu was also injured quite a lot if I remember correctly.
So you agree, but the injuries is the excuse?
His injuries were more towards the end of his career.
Def not when at Arsenal.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Mcal

Remember also that many wrongly see his superlative performance at the ‘96 Olympics as a Super Eagles one.
It wasn’t.
Yes technically the Atlanta gold was not SE.

But Musa has not won ANYTHING for ANY Nigerian team.

It is false to state that he "won afcon"

He didn't. He was a spectator on the bench. He didn't do sheeeeit.

Like you said NOBODY will forget how Kanu destroyed Brazil (which was virtually a full strength squad) and made us to become the first African Olympic winner.

What on earth will you remember Musa for in all honesty ? Scoring WC goals that lead us to nowhere?

That certainly is way down the list in terms of the best moments of following Nigerian football at al levels.

In fact he will be remembered for being a stubborn self centered clown who didn't know when to retire, more than scoring some meaningless goals that really did NOTHING for SE.
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:27 am
Mcal

It wasn’t.

Like you said NOBODY will forget how Kanu destroyed Brazil (which was virtually a full strength squad) and made us to become the first African Olympic winner.

What on earth will you remember Musa for in all honesty ? Scoring WC goals that lead us to nowhere?

That certainly is way down the list in terms of the best moments of following Nigerian football at al levels.

In fact he will be remembered for being a stubborn self centered clown who didn't know when to retire, more than scoring some meaningless goals that really did NOTHING for SE.
What has Kanu "won" for the SE?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Mcal

It wasn’t.

Nigerians will always be proud of winning Olympic gold but it doesn’t trump scoring goals at the World Cup. Any professional football player will tell you they’d rather score goals at the World Cup than win gold at a glorified youth tournament. Musa’s name has been forever written indelibly into FIFA’s archives🤔❗️

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:02 pm
Mcal

It wasn’t.

Nigerians will always be proud of winning Olympic gold but it doesn’t trump scoring goals at the World Cup. Any professional football player will tell you they’d rather score goals at the World Cup than win gold at a glorified youth tournament. Musa’s name has been forever written indelibly into FIFA’s archives🤔❗️

Cheers.
TTTK

The truth is that it is a waste of time arguing with vancity on Musa. His feeling about Musa clouds his ability to reasonabl it and logically evaluate Musa.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Musa is a legend of Nigerian footbal, QED
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

For VE...

Musa played in 5 out of 6 matches at the AFCON 2013 tourney including the final, scoring one goal. So you can't say he does not deserve to be called an AFCON winner.

Musa was also in the team that won 2010 WAFU Nations Cup.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."