Naija National Team [Rare] Videos

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Naija National Team [Rare] Videos

Post by anointed »

Never saw the footage till now. It's in this link.

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/W7HHzB ... tid=oFDknk

We lost 3-1 and it's like we used some players who didn't eventually make the WC.

Is Joseph Odegbami same person as Wole Odegbami?
Last edited by anointed on Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Sweden vs Nigeria Pre-1994 World Cup Friendly

Post by anointed »

And I know 1naija and the other septuagenarians of this forum would have seen the forgettable 1978 WC qualifier btw Nigeria and Tunisia that witnessed the spectacular headed own goal of Godwin Odiye. Here's is a short footage for those of us born out of time 👇🏾

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/Y473Df ... tid=oFDknk
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Did the ‘94 or ‘98 team win any friendly?
Last edited by Synopsis on Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Why are we still talking about 1994? I’m sick to my stomach with that team these days. In retrospect, we might have been better off if we didn’t qualify for the 2nd. Some of the same people that made that team good now have us by the nuts 30yrs later. :woot:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

this is a shameful thread , my goodness 30 plus years ago. What's the point of a friendly played 30 years ago
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

That's quite the celebration for pulling one goal back after being 3 down
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

deanotito wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:57 pm That's quite the celebration for pulling one goal back after being 3 down
Tbf they were 2 goals down, not 3.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

I remember watching that friendly and having low expectations as our payers could barely touch the ball. They also played a few Swedish club sides prior to that match. Their style of play attracted a lot of Swedish admirers. One of them was a young teenager by the name of Johan Allard. This boy was so inspired that he started the first successful website and forum dedicated to Nigerian football around 1996/97. That website is called Cybereagles today. Small history lesson for you folks who joined relatively recently.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

greg wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:30 am I remember watching that friendly and having low expectations as our payers could barely touch the ball. They also played a few Swedish club sides prior to that match. Their style of play attracted a lot of Swedish admirers. One of them was a young teenager by the name of Johan Allard. This boy was so inspired that he started the first successful website and forum dedicated to Nigerian football around 1996/97. That website is called Cybereagles today. Small history lesson for you folks who joined relatively recently.
Is he still in charge of this site?
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Synopsis wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:41 am Did the ‘94 or ‘98 team win any friendly?
We were never good at those friendlies. We also lost 2-0 to Romania. Our prep for 1998 was even worse, losing 3-0 to Yugoslavia and 5-1 to Netherlands but we always sort of turned things around. Meanwhile, when we had better friendly results, we most didn't fare well. You could so those bad friendly results were sort of blessings in disguise because we were brought down to earth and didn't go to the World Cup with unnecessary overconfidence.

The downside of that was that we have often made irrational, knee-jerk reactions after bad results. In 1998, after those failed friendlies, holidaying and unfit Peter Rufai was forcefully conscripted into the team because Abiodun Baruwa's gaffes knocked him off. The other goalie, Christian Opara was not trusted by the players because, according to them, he was too short. Back then, players ran the SE, not the hapless Bora Milutinovic. I, for one, believed Baruwa, who was usually astounding for Shooting Stars, including on the continent, would have been okay.

2002 also comes to mind. Because we supposedly did not play well in afcon, the rash decision to sack Amodu Shuaibu and drop several other players burnt us badly. We wasted that WC. Summarily, it's kinda safe to say that we had that unique characteristics to raise our game when the expectations were low. Nobody was really expecting much at this past afcon. So, it's better to be pumelled during the friendlies. Adegboye Onigbinde, who replaced Amodu Shuaibu in 2002 got some fair friendlies results and even unearthed Bart Ogbeche in the runup to the WC but we ended up with eggs on our faces.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

gochino wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:23 am
greg wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:30 am I remember watching that friendly and having low expectations as our payers could barely touch the ball. They also played a few Swedish club sides prior to that match. Their style of play attracted a lot of Swedish admirers. One of them was a young teenager by the name of Johan Allard. This boy was so inspired that he started the first successful website and forum dedicated to Nigerian football around 1996/97. That website is called Cybereagles today. Small history lesson for you folks who joined relatively recently.
Nope. The guy left, like many other intellectually sound members, and I guess it's not unconnected with dumb and dumber like Trumpokey acting like he owns the site.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Make I post a link to another old video. Some of us might never have heard the late scion of June 12 election, MKO Abiola, speak. Here he talks about his deep involvement as the proprietor of the defunct Abiola Babes. It's a collector's item of an interview.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/Kz1yz7 ... tid=oFDknk
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

anointed wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:33 am The downside of that was that we have often made irrational, knee-jerk reactions after bad results. In 1998, after those failed friendlies, holidaying and unfit Peter Rufai was forcefully conscripted into the team because Abiodun Baruwa's gaffes knocked him off. The other goalie, Christian Opara was not trusted by the players because, according to them, he was too short. Back then, players ran the SE, not the hapless Bora Milutinovic. I, for one, believed Baruwa, who was usually astounding for Shooting Stars, including on the continent, would have been okay
The main reason Rufai was called up was due to an injury to Jospeh Dosu (car accident I think).
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

gochino wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:23 am
It's been over 10 years since he last posted:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=222469&p=3737195#p3737195
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

The YeyeMan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:33 pm
anointed wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:33 am The downside of that was that we have often made irrational, knee-jerk reactions after bad results. In 1998, after those failed friendlies, holidaying and unfit Peter Rufai was forcefully conscripted into the team because Abiodun Baruwa's gaffes knocked him off. The other goalie, Christian Opara was not trusted by the players because, according to them, he was too short. Back then, players ran the SE, not the hapless Bora Milutinovic. I, for one, believed Baruwa, who was usually astounding for Shooting Stars, including on the continent, would have been okay
The main reason Rufai was called up was due to an injury to Jospeh Dosu (car accident I think).
Dosu last played for Nigeria in January 1997. His unfortunate accident happened in June 1997, a full year before the WC, during Ike Shorunmu of FC Zurich had stepped in comfortably.
First-choice Ike Shoronmu was desperately unfortunate to break his hand in the final game of the season at club side FC Zurich; his deputy Abiodun Baruwa had a poor outing against Yugoslavia, and the veteran Peter Rufai let in five goals against the Dutch. His call-up alone was an indication of the seriousness of the problem, as he had been on his way to vacation.
https://www.goal.com/en-gh/news/world-c ... ebb9e610c4
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

anointed wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:31 am Never saw the footage till now. It's in this link.

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/W7HHzB ... tid=oFDknk

We lost 3-1 and it's like we used some players who didn't eventually make the WC.

Is Joseph Odegbami same person as Wole Odegbami?
Yes.Wole Odegbami has the baptismal name, Joseph. His more illustrious brother, the legend, Segun Odegbami, is Patrick.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

anointed wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:16 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:33 pm
Dosu last played for Nigeria in January 1997. His unfortunate accident happened in June 1997, a full year before the WC, during Ike Shorunmu of FC Zurich had stepped in comfortably.
First-choice Ike Shoronmu was desperately unfortunate to break his hand in the final game of the season at club side FC Zurich; his deputy Abiodun Baruwa had a poor outing against Yugoslavia, and the veteran Peter Rufai let in five goals against the Dutch. His call-up alone was an indication of the seriousness of the problem, as he had been on his way to vacation.
https://www.goal.com/en-gh/news/world-c ... ebb9e610c4
Yes, Ike! He was the GK. My memory failed me for once.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

anointed wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:33 am
Synopsis wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:41 am Did the ‘94 or ‘98 team win any friendly?
We were never good at those friendlies. We also lost 2-0 to Romania. Our prep for 1998 was even worse, losing 3-0 to Yugoslavia and 5-1 to Netherlands but we always sort of turned things around. Meanwhile, when we had better friendly results, we most didn't fare well. You could so those bad friendly results were sort of blessings in disguise because we were brought down to earth and didn't go to the World Cup with unnecessary overconfidence.

The downside of that was that we have often made irrational, knee-jerk reactions after bad results. In 1998, after those failed friendlies, holidaying and unfit Peter Rufai was forcefully conscripted into the team because Abiodun Baruwa's gaffes knocked him off. The other goalie, Christian Opara was not trusted by the players because, according to them, he was too short. Back then, players ran the SE, not the hapless Bora Milutinovic. I, for one, believed Baruwa, who was usually astounding for Shooting Stars, including on the continent, would have been okay.

2002 also comes to mind. Because we supposedly did not play well in afcon, the rash decision to sack Amodu Shuaibu and drop several other players burnt us badly. We wasted that WC. Summarily, it's kinda safe to say that we had that unique characteristics to raise our game when the expectations were low. Nobody was really expecting much at this past afcon. So, it's better to be pumelled during the friendlies. Adegboye Onigbinde, who replaced Amodu Shuaibu in 2002 got some fair friendlies results and even unearthed Bart Ogbeche in the runup to the WC but we ended up with eggs on our faces.
This myth that we are at our best when counted out or we do well at tournaments that we performed our worst at friendlies leading up to the tournament is grossly not true.

In 2002 we went to the WC with low expectations and performed at such. In some of the friendly before the 94 WC, we played with players that didn’t even make the team.

In 98, we were terrible in the friendly games but that caught up to us. Yes, we beat Spain and Bulgaria but let’s analyze that. We lost our president, Abacha before the tournament and the players were playing with heavy hearts. Even the English commentator from the station I watched that match was pulling for us to win. In the next match, we beat Bulgaria who always have their number. We’ve done well against European teams at the WC and got our lunch handed to us by South American team which is why we lost to Paraguay. When we played Denmark, our luck ran out and we got spanked. People said we overlooked Denmark but we should be thanking Denmark that we didn’t face Brazil or they would’ve done Germany on us. They were still mad at what we did to them at the 96 Olympics.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/LnQugy ... tid=oFDknk

Ethiopia vs Nigeria 2014 WCW. How was that a goal against Enyeama? Voodoo goal line tech and that penalty should have been awarded with a red card to boot
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...