Do you really care who the coach is

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Do you really care who the coach is

Post by aruako1 »

iworo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:50 pm
aruako1 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:07 pm
1naija wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:59 pm ..or whether he is foreign or local, if we are winning? I don't and can't imagine any of you caring either, unless you ain't got a job for real, for real.

And don't give me that nonsense about we need to develop local coaches, because none of you give a rat's azz about them.

If you do, state your reason(s).
I care about a coach that is dedicated to the team and understands African football. In the long term I want more local managers to coach the Super Eagles because it will inspire more coaches. But my main concern is that local and foreign managers are treated equally and with respect when coaching the Super Eagles.
I believe you meant to say that local and foreign managers are NOT treated equally or with the same level of respect when coaching the Super Eagles. As mentioned earlier, respect isn't given freely; it must be earned through demonstrating competence, fairness, empathy, and genuine dedication to the team's well-being, success, and development.

The criterion for a European coach to have a good understanding of African football is no longer as relevant, as many African players now play in Europe, blending both African and European styles that most European coaches are familiar with.
I do not see that foreign coaches have demonstrated the qualities that you have mentioned above any more than local managers. So we can agree to disagree.

Again we can agree to disagree on the African football element. You need to play African teams before you get to the global stage.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:40 pm
I do not see that foreign coaches have demonstrated the qualities that you have mentioned above any more than local managers. So we can agree to disagree.

Again we can agree to disagree on the African football element. You need to play African teams before you get to the global stage.
So how did Amuneke do against African teams when he failed to qualify our U20's to a common AFCON?

How did he do against African teams when in charge of Tanzania when he finished DEAD LAST at afcon ?

How did any of our local coaches do against African teams when they continue to fail with our CHAN team ?

How did Eguovoen do against African teams ?

The so called "European journeymen" got bronze and silver in HIGHLY COMPETITIVE tournaments that Africa has never seen before.

You guys are not being honest at all.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

In other words you and many others here don't know what the roles and responsibilities of a national team head coach entails. What exactly is understanding African football, and what has that got to do with being the head coach of Nigeria? Did Rigobert Song not understand African football?
1naija wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:59 pm ..or whether he is foreign or local, if we are winning? I don't and can't imagine any of you caring either, unless you ain't got a job for real, for real.

And don't give me that nonsense about we need to develop local coaches, because none of you give a rat's azz about them.

I care about a coach that is dedicated to the team and understands African football. In the long term I want more local managers to coach the Super Eagles because it will inspire more coaches. But my main concern is that local and foreign managers are treated equally and with respect when coaching the Super Eagles.
I believe you meant to say that local and foreign managers are NOT treated equally or with the same level of respect when coaching the Super Eagles. As mentioned earlier, respect isn't given freely; it must be earned through demonstrating competence, fairness, empathy, and genuine dedication to the team's well-being, success, and development.

The criterion for a European coach to have a good understanding of African football is no longer as relevant, as many African players now play in Europe, blending both African and European styles that most European coaches are familiar with.

Last edited by 1naija on Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:43 pm

So how did Amuneke do against African teams when he failed to qualify our U20's to a common AFCON?

How did he do against African teams when in charge of Tanzania when he finished DEAD LAST at afcon ?

How did any of our local coaches do against African teams when they continue to fail with our CHAN team ?

How did Eguovoen do against African teams ?

The so called "European journeymen" got bronze and silver in HIGHLY COMPETITIVE tournaments that Africa has never seen before.

You guys are not being honest at all.
Search the forum and see who my preferred replacements for Peseiro were. You might wish to delete what you wrote. My position on African knowledge stands.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

1naija wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:04 pm In other words you and many others here don't know what the roles and responsibilities of a national team head coach entails. What exactly is understanding African football, and has that got to do with being the head coach of Nigeria? Did Rigobert Song not understand African football?

Understanding African football is important but I didn't say it was the only factor.

Understanding African football means that you understand Nigeria's mentality when we play African teams...not managers that tell us they are learning from Senegal.

It also means having enough knowledge of the African game as played on the continent...some of the top African teams have a significant bulk of their players playing on the the continent. Many of these players are not as well known as those in Europe. This knowledge can come from coaching African national teams or clubsides that regularly participate in African club competitions.

My top two choices for Peseiro's replacement had this knowledge. They are also decent coaches.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Lolly wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:38 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:57 pm
Lolly wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:00 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:48 am
Damunk wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:52 am Me, I really don't care.
But apparently, there’s something seriously wrong with me for that.
Something about my self-esteem… :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
The thing that’s seriously wrong with you and other WOWOs is that you don’t have a problem with journeymen coaches. As much as I believe it really won’t do us any good, most people won’t have an issue with, say, a Pep Guardiola but the likes of Guardiola are well beyond the reach of the NFF and journeymen coaches are absolutely detrimental to Nigerian football🤔❗️

Cheers.
So why would it bother you if the journeyman white coach is winning and playing good football?
Name one journeyman who has had Nigeria playing good football🤔❗️

Cheers.
You left out "winning"? :sneaky:

Otto Gloria
Westerhoff
Bonfere
Rohr (2016-2018)

While at it, name one local coach that had the Super Eagles playing good football.
Otto Gloria - Won AFCON on the backs of determined players and failed to get us to the World Cup.

Westerhoff - Had 5 years and numerous missteps before he could beat an undermanned Zambia. He was given the kind of leeway we don’t give our own. Shame on us for that.

Bonfrere - Right place at the right time. Couldn’t figure out how to beat a very young Cameroonian team. Needless to say, Amodu would have gotten the job done.

Rohr - Mr. We’re just learning. Don’t make me laugh. I don’t have the strength for that🤔❗️

Cheers.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Just get the job done.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:37 pm
Otto Gloria - Won AFCON on the backs of determined players and failed to get us to the World Cup.
What kind of stupid argument is this ?

I guess when Keshi won afcon, his players were undetermined.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:55 pm

There’s only one angel* on this forum and you see him everyday when you look in the mirror🤔❗️

Cheers.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:58 pm

There’s only one angel* on this forum and you see him everyday when you look in the mirror🤔❗️

Cheers.
You guys are complete clowns.

So were Keshis players undetermined ?

Anything to talk down foreign coaches and exhault the local ones as saviors.

Can you not have the same standards for all coaches ?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:09 pm

Cheers.

That’s rich coming from the same guy who’s abusing Finidi for losing one meaningless friendly🤔❗️

Cheers.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:15 pm

Cheers.

That’s rich coming from the same guy who’s abusing Finidi for losing one meaningless friendly🤔❗️

Cheers.
An absolute LIE.

My beef with Finidi is not him losing a friendly.

Can you guys ever be honest and not deal with lies and deceptions ?

And can you answer this question. If you have any integrity at all.

Were Keshis players undetermined ?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Again, none of that is the responsibility of ANY national team coach. Besides, most of the players in the top African teams today don't have the type of affiliation with the African football that you are alluding to. How will understanding African football help you compete against the best teams in Africa like Morocco, Algeria, and Senegal, when most of their players don't even play in Africa? The top 3 teams in Africa today are Morocco, Senegal, and Nigeria. Did Peseiro, who by his own admission had ZERO knowledge of AFCON prior to him coaching in it, "understand African Footbal"?

We need a coach that can win. Peseiro won despite not knowing anything about African football. That's why we are no. 3 and other teams like Kenya, Uganda, Ghana and others minnows who understand African football aren't.
aruako1 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:05 pm
1naija wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:04 pm In other words you and many others here don't know what the roles and responsibilities of a national team head coach entails. What exactly is understanding African football, and has that got to do with being the head coach of Nigeria? Did Rigobert Song not understand African football?

Understanding African football is important but I didn't say it was the only factor.

Understanding African football means that you understand Nigeria's mentality when we play African teams...not managers that tell us they are learning from Senegal.

It also means having enough knowledge of the African game as played on the continent...some of the top African teams have a significant bulk of their players playing on the the continent. Many of these players are not as well known as those in Europe. This knowledge can come from coaching African national teams or clubsides that regularly participate in African club competitions.

My top two choices for Peseiro's replacement had this knowledge. They are also decent coaches.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:39 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:15 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.
An absolute LIE.

My beef with Finidi is not him losing a friendly.

Can you guys ever be honest and not deal with lies and deceptions ?

And can you answer this question. If you have any integrity at all.

Were Keshis players undetermined ?
My friend, your stupid petty peeves are of no concern to me. Just go to sleep and stop bothering me❗️

Cheers.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I bet if we ask you what good football is, you will say it's dribbling like Adokie Amiesimaka and Odebgami and booting the ball up and down like Christian Chukwu. Man, gerrarahia.
The thing that’s seriously wrong with you and other WOWOs is that you don’t have a problem with journeymen coaches. As much as I believe it really won’t do us any good, most people won’t have an issue with, say, a Pep Guardiola but the likes of Guardiola are well beyond the reach of the NFF and journeymen coaches are absolutely detrimental to Nigerian football🤔❗️

Cheers.
So why would it bother you if the journeyman white coach is winning and playing good football?

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

1naija wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:05 am I bet if we ask you what good football is, you will say it's dribbling like Adokie Amiesimaka and Odebgami and booting the ball up and down like Christian Chukwu. Man, gerrarahia.

Cheers.

Cheers.
Bia, this old man. Don’t you ever get tired of stalking me? Go get a life, my friend🤔🤐❗️

Cheers.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Understanding “African Football” is the biggest hogwash in the history of this forum. The top 3 teams in African have players that barely played football in the continent. South Africa with all their players that understand African football lost to us. These black panthers will say anything to promote their local coaches.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Cheers.

Cheers.
You left out "winning"? :sneaky:

Otto Gloria
Westerhoff
Bonfere
Rohr (2016-2018)

While at it, name one local coach that had the Super Eagles playing good football.

Westerhoff - Had 5 years and numerous missteps before he could beat an undermanned Zambia. He was given the kind of leeway we don’t give our own. Shame on us for that.

Bonfrere - Right place at the right time. Couldn’t figure out how to beat a very young Cameroonian team. Needless to say, Amodu would have gotten the job done.

Rohr - Mr. We’re just learning. Don’t make me laugh. I don’t have the strength for that🤔❗️

Cheers.
Try and be objective for once. It can be tiring debating with you. All the managers I listed coached the SE and won many matches playing good football.

Let’s have your list of local managers who have done the same.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

packerland wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:13 am Understanding “African Football” is the biggest hogwash in the history of this forum. The top 3 teams in African have players that barely played football in the continent. South Africa with all their players that understand African football lost to us. These black panthers will say anything to promote their local coaches.
I agree with you. Totally.
This whole ‘African Football’ concept heavily buys into the African stereotype which racist commentators and coaches alike use to limit opportunities for our African players - “athleticism”, “speed” and “physical strength”. There’s nothing uniquely tactical or psychological about the African ‘game’ or African players that isn’t in abundance in Europe and South America. Nothing.

Isn’t it ironic that most of the people pushing this African Football argument are the ones calling for a local coach by all means possible and with no real desire for proven quality. They are the first to call others ‘WOWOs’ and “slaves”, yet use the same racist stereotypes of Africans to push their agenda. They will call every foreign coach that is not ‘Category Guardiola, Ancelotti or Klopp’ a ‘journeyman’ but have no qualms arguing for a local coach that doesn’t even make the category of ‘journeyman’, even at home!

Finally, most of them argue that the foreign journeymen are treated better than the locals, but are also suggesting that a local coach “will be cheaper”! In short, pay the local coach less.
You couldn’t make this up! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Too many holes in their argument, but they’ll never, NEVER concede even one inch. That’s when the insults come in handy.
It’s the ‘No gree for anybody’ season I guess. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

packerland wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:13 am Understanding “African Football” is the biggest hogwash in the history of this forum. The top 3 teams in African have players that barely played football in the continent. South Africa with all their players that understand African football lost to us. These black panthers will say anything to promote their local coaches.
Well the main proponent of "understanding African football" had foreigners as his first two choices to replace Peseiro. Non-Africans can understand African football but anything to continue your local v foreign war.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:17 am
This whole ‘African Football’ concept heavily buys into the African stereotype which racist commentators and coaches alike use to limit opportunities for our African players - “athleticism”, “speed” and “physical strength”. There’s nothing uniquely tactical or psychological about the African ‘game’ or African players that isn’t in abundance in Europe and South America. Nothing.

Isn’t it ironic that most of the people pushing this African Football argument are the ones calling for a local coach by all means possible and with no real desire for proven quality. They are the first to call others ‘WOWOs’ and “slaves”, yet use the same racist stereotypes of Africans to push their agenda. They will call every foreign coach that is not ‘Category Guardiola, Ancelotti or Klopp’ a ‘journeyman’ but have no qualms arguing for a local coach that doesn’t even make the category of ‘journeyman’, even at home!

Finally, most of them argue that the foreign journeymen are treated better than the locals, but are also suggesting that a local coach “will be cheaper”! In short, pay the local coach less.

Too many holes in their argument, but they’ll never, NEVER concede even one inch. That’s when the insults come in handy.
I haven't seen you complain when people talk about getting used to English football. Understanding African football is not only about physicality - in any case there is nothing racist about saying that African football is more physical- the racist aspect is saying that physicality is all there is to African football.

Understanding African football is also learning about the history of the team's you play, playing under different conditions around the continent and getting used to players that often miss the glare of the the football analyst established that is focused on Europe.

Many so-called foreign journeyman understood African football. I first noticed Troussier when he played against Iwuanyanwu Nationale as the coach of ASEC Mimosas. He travelled the length and breath of the continent and knew most teams on the continent. The same for the likes of Claude Le Roy. How can such experience be useless? The likes of Amodu Shaibu, Khadiri Ikhana and Okey Emordi had that experience even as local coaches.

That is the reason for my top two choices to replace Peseiro are Mosimane and Goncalves.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:45 am
Damunk wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:17 am

I haven't seen you complain when people talk about getting used to English football. Understanding African football is not only about physicality - in any case there is nothing racist about saying that African football is more physical- the racist aspect is saying that physicality is all there is to African football.

Understanding African football is also learning about the history of the team's you play, playing under different conditions around the continent and getting used to players that often miss the glare of the the football analyst established that is focused on Europe.

Many so-called foreign journeyman understood African football. I first noticed Troussier when he played against Iwuanyanwu Nationale as the coach of ASEC Mimosas. He travelled the length and breath of the continent and knew most teams on the continent. The same for the likes of Claude Le Roy. How can such experience be useless? The likes of Amodu Shaibu, Khadiri Ikhana and Okey Emordi had that experience even as local coaches.

That is the reason for my top two choices to replace Peseiro are Mosimane and Goncalves.
Aruako, you are not responsible for other people’s beliefs or expressions and therefore there is no reason to feel that you are being referred to when their views are being specifically debunked.
If you have never referred to anyone as a WOWO, or a “slave” then it doesn’t apply to you. Those it applies to know themselves.
The ‘African Game’ argument is not peculiar to you and has been pushed by many over the years.

I used the word ‘most’ and not ‘all’ for a reason.

Having said all that, and taking yourself out of the picture for one moment, you will recognise much of what I am pointing out, even if it does not apply to you personally.

Even the new term ‘WOWOOR’ does not apply to you, even though you might share some common ground with those it does apply to.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:45 am
Damunk wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:17 am This whole ‘African Football’ concept heavily buys into the African stereotype which racist commentators and coaches alike use to limit opportunities for our African players - “athleticism”, “speed” and “physical strength”. There’s nothing uniquely tactical or psychological about the African ‘game’ or African players that isn’t in abundance in Europe and South America. Nothing.
Because there’s nothing to complain about. Getting used to different teams, different coaches, different players, different leagues and different cultures is part of the professional game. It’s not unique to anyone or any place.
There’s nothing in the English game or the African game or the South American game that is unique to them or is unknown.

Any coach worthy of the title that doesn’t know this or hasn’t sought out the knowledge is an actor.
It’s not rocket science.
Many so-called foreign journeyman understood African football. I first noticed Troussier when he played against Iwuanyanwu Nationale as the coach of ASEC Mimosas. He travelled the length and breath of the continent and knew most teams on the continent. The same for the likes of Claude Le Roy. How can such experience be useless?
Good question.
The onus should be on you to prove that it is indeed useful.
So is there evidence to suggest that such coaches, and African coaches in particular have done demonstrably better than the foreign ‘journeymen’?
It should be pretty clear if there is.

The likes of Amodu Shaibu, Khadiri Ikhana and Okey Emordi had that experience even as local coaches.
I know Amodu was exceptional, but Nigerians got rid of him because he didn’t play ‘sexy’ football. That’s on all of us, not just the NFF. I’m not that familiar with the coaching careers of the other two.
That’s why you are not a WOWOOR.
But you can’t claim not to know some of their more asinine and provocative insinuations against those that don’t share their viewpoint.