OFFICIAL & BREAKING: NFF Finally Announces Finidi as Eagles Manager......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: OFFICIAL & BREAKING: NFF Finally Announces Finidi as Eagles Manager......

Post by bret- hart »

ahidjo2 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:37 am
Enugu II wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:18 pm
NFF appoints Finidi George as Head Coach of Super Eagles
https://thenff.com/nff-appoints-finidi- ... er-eagles/

NFF Media
April 29, 2024
The Board of Nigeria Football Federation on Monday approved the recommendation of its Technical and Development Committee to appoint former ace winger Finidi George as Head Coach of the Senior Men National Football Team, Super Eagles.

George, who spent 20 months as assistant to José Santos Peseiro before the Portuguese voluntarily left the post following the accomplishment of Africa Cup of Nations runner-up position at Cote d’Ivoire 2023, took charge of the squad in interim capacity during two friendly matches in Morocco last month.

His squad edged Ghana 2-1 in the first match, ending an 18-year winless streak against the Black Stars, but then lost 0-2 to Mali in the second game.
George, a member of the so-styled ‘Golden Generation’ that won the 1994 Africa Cup of Nations tournament in Tunisia and emerged the second most entertaining team in Nigeria’s debut at the FIFA World Cup finals in USA the same year, won 62 caps for Nigeria, including featuring at the 1994 and 1998 FIFA World Cup finals. He also won gold, silver and bronze medals from the 1992, 1994, 2000 and 2002 AFCON tournaments.

The 52-year-old former Ajax Amsterdam (The Netherlands) and Real Betis (Spain) forward, who made a scoring debut for fatherland in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against Burkina Faso at the National Stadium, Lagos on 27th July 1991, also featured for Calabar Rovers and Sharks FC in the domestic scene before heading to Europe. He assisted Rashidi Yekini (of blessed memory) to score Nigeria’s first-ever FIFA World Cup goal against Bulgaria in Dallas, USA on 19th June 1994.

George had actually scored the goal that took Nigeria to that FIFA World Cup debut, when he put Nigeria ahead against hosts Algeria in a crucial qualifier in Algiers on 8th October 1993. The match eventually ended 1-1 and earned Nigeria a ticket to the finals in America.

George’s immediate task will be to guide the Super Eagles to victory in two 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifying matches against South Africa and Benin Republic in Uyo and Abidjan respectively, in a little over five weeks. The matches are must-win encounters, with the Super Eagles lagging behind in third place in Group C of the African campaign behind Rwanda and South Africa.
Oh well. Finidi George does not inspire any confidence as a coach. Not sure I know of anything that stands him out as a brilliant coach that made his appointment appropriate. Does anybody know? Nigeria can/could not afford $50k a month for a coach of repute but a certain former governor was busy dashing a school $850k for present and yet-to-be-born kids. Nigerian useless senators were busy spending tens of billions to purchase un-needed cars but whenever it concerns things that matter to Nigerians, everybody claims there is no money and everybody keeps quiet. Siddon dey look mode activated!
Thats what angers me the most. The money is there to hire a quality coach but those baaa5tards in public office will eat the money then lie that their is no money. See Zambia was able to hire Harve Renard back in the day and now they have Avram Grant. Can Nigeria ever hire coaches of such status. Na rubbish coaches like Bo$$o and Finidi we dey manage so. Ahhh I tire.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

spot on.

The idea that the NFF is "broke" has always been a nonsense argument, especially after the money we won from getting silver at the latest AFCON.

The NFF claimed they wanted a foreign coach, but THEY didn't want to put up the cash, they wanted someone else to foot the bill so they could chop their own stash.

Finidi George is just there because the NFF want to chop the money instead of investing it in a proper coach.

The NFF cannot shift the blame to the Sports Ministry IMO, that is just smoke and mirrors. THEY didn't want to pay, just like THEY (and not Peseiro) didn't want to pay for the bill of 2 extra players to take to AFCON. Also how they wanted to cut the cost of flying in 3 foreign born players at the beginning of Peseiro's tenure, when they forced homebased quota.

Bunch of greedy foolish clowns.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

CONGRATULATIONS TO FINIDI

To the naysayers - you know yourselves, despite the fake congratulatory notes, the false "hope he proves me wrong" and the "I'm praying for him" - your true sentiments are well documented here. Only a foreign manager, even a journeyman foreigner, inspires confidence you. Meaning football is so complex there are no Nigerians who can master it. How then do you explain the successes recorded by Nigerians in every thing else they have tried? Do you understand what you're doing, if done everywhere else, sets Nigeria back?

Don't you think it's time Nigeria took on every challenge head on with confidence and build a nation where the answer to every problem is not dial 1-800 HELPUS? If you can't attack football, relatively unimportant and less complex, where do you want to start?

Think about this, folks.

Make sure you can look yourself in the mirror.
Bell
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Time to get to work, it will take team effort. All hands on deck to rescue Nigeria from the bastardas WOWO coach that got us into the current mess. Let me tell the WOWO crew that it was their oyibo savior that drew against Lesotho and Zimbabwe. If Nigeria qualifies,Finidi is a genius. If Nigeria fail to qualify, I am going to blame the people responsible. They had an opportunity to hire a coach long term in July, they refused. Now the lunatics are saying Finidi will be judged after two games. Nigeria can win the next two matches but there is no guarantee. It takes time for a new coach to implement his system. It is even more difficult for a team like Nigeria that have players spread around the world. Serious countries have had their coaches in place for several years. All this may sound like an excuse to some people but it is reality. Nigeria is in serious trouble. There are no more minnows in Africa. The NFF must support the new coach.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

We are not in a "mess"

We have EIGHT matches to overturn a 2 point deficit to Rwanda and a 1 point deficit to South Africa.

EIGHT MATCHES.

Any coach who cannot qualify NIGERIA under those circumstances is GARBAGE, and shouldn't be coaching Nigeria in the first place.

Let alone a coach who sat beside Pesiero for 2 years.

No excuses at all, at all.

You shameless WOWOORs already making excuses
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:02 am We are not in a "mess"

We have EIGHT matches to overturn a 2 point deficit to Rwanda and a 1 point deficit to South Africa.

EIGHT MATCHES.

Any coach who cannot qualify NIGERIA under those circumstances is GARBAGE, and shouldn't be coaching Nigeria in the first place.

Even though your logic is somewhat flawed in the sense that seating besides Peseiro for 2 years isn’t really much of a testimonial since it was Peseiro who dropped 4 points against Lesotho and Zimbabwe, will you shut up once and for all if he qualifies Nigeria for the World Cup? To be quite frank, I seriously doubt that you will🤔❗️

Cheers.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:25 am

EIGHT MATCHES.

Even though your logic is somewhat flawed in the sense that seating besides Peseiro for 2 years isn’t really much of a testimonial since it was Peseiro who dropped 4 points against Lesotho and Zimbabwe, will you shut up once and for all if he qualifies Nigeria for the World Cup? To be quite frank, I seriously doubt that you will🤔❗️

Cheers.
I'm not blaming Finidi for the dropped points.

I'm saying that sitting beside Peseiro for 2 years, he has no excuse about "getting to know the team" or "he just started"

He isn't really a "new coach" He should essentially be taking over where Peseiro left off without much of a transition.

I suspect this is the major reason he was preferred over the likes of Amuneke and other local applicants.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:43 am

EIGHT MATCHES.

Cheers.

I'm saying that sitting beside Peseiro for 2 years, he has no excuse about "getting to know the team" or "he just started"

He isn't really a "new coach" He should essentially be taking over where Peseiro left off without much of a transition.
You are presuming that he will employ the same personnel that Peseiro did but he doesn’t have to. For one thing, don’t be surprised to see some home based talent in his squad. He has already demonstrated he’s quite a bit more adventurous than Peseiro was🤔❗️

Cheers.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

EIGHT MATCHES.

Kpom. Other countries will be qualifying with their newly appointed coaches. Foreign and local. Some of them will recover from bigger deficits than us. We shouldn't be making excuses in advance if we're confident the right guy got the job.
Last edited by greg on Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:53 am
vancity eagle wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:43 am

EIGHT MATCHES.

Cheers.

You are presuming that he will employ the same personnel that Peseiro did but he doesn’t have to. For one thing, don’t be surprised to see some home based talent in his squad. He has already demonstrated he’s quite a bit more adventurous than Peseiro was🤔❗️

Cheers.
That's his problem. If he wants to destroy everything Peseiro built and rebuild , he doesn't get any sympathy for "starting fresh"

He must qualify for the World Cup, no ifs ands or buts
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

It is a mess that people don’t realize the mess we are in. Nigeria drew against Lesotho. Serious countries that want to qualify for the world don’t hire a new coach in the middle of qualifiers, it was a serious blunder. Last July I said we need to hire a long term coach.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

They need to organize camping for the team. Two week camping and a closed door friendly,

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Bell wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:20 am CONGRATULATIONS TO FINIDI

To the naysayers - you know yourselves, despite the fake congratulatory notes, the false "hope he proves me wrong" and the "I'm praying for him" - your true sentiments are well documented here. Only a foreign manager, even a journeyman foreigner, inspires confidence you. Meaning football is so complex there are no Nigerians who can master it. How then do you explain the successes recorded by Nigerians in every thing else they have tried? Do you understand what you're doing, if done everywhere else, sets Nigeria back?

Don't you think it's time Nigeria took on every challenge head on with confidence and build a nation where the answer to every problem is not dial 1-800 HELPUS? If you can't attack football, relatively unimportant and less complex, where do you want to start?

Think about this, folks.

Bell
Did you expect people to be confident about a local coach taking over in the middle of a World Cup qualifier in Nigeria knowing the NFF's record with local coaches and the shorter leash they have for success? What is wrong with people wishing the man well and praying he does well even if they are not sure about him? I didn't like Peseiro but I was desperate for us to win the AFCON final.

Finidi has taken the role and it is up to him to prove those of us that are skeptics wrong. If he does well I will carry his matter on my head. Some people like Vancity will not see any good in him no matter what happens. But most are not like that. I was skeptical when Keshi was appointed - but I thank God for that appointment and the joy it brought to us.
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

So will Finidi leave Enyimba or he will handle both?
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
kash n' karry
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kash n' karry »

:evil: :twisted:
i would have preferred Amunike, i don't know how tested Finidi is at the helm being a World Cup qualifying year !! :???:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

INTENTIONALLY DELETED
Last edited by wiseone on Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

wiseone wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:00 pm According to this, Finidi is not even on the shortlist. Please, not Amokachi. 🤦🏾‍♂️

It is a shortlist for his assistants.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

These are the same fake handles that were announcing Amuneke as coach.

If the shortlist is true, then the ideal candidate among them is Nsien. Amokachi and Amuneke should go get a gaddem job elsewhere. They will undermine Finidi to get the top spot.. I think Amokachi's calling is as a game commentator. He did an excellent Job at the AFCON.
wiseone wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:00 pm According to this, Finidi is not even on the shortlist. Please, not Amokachi. 🤦🏾‍♂️

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

aruako1 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 am

Think about this, folks.

Bell
Did you expect people to be confident about a local coach taking over in the middle of a World Cup qualifier in Nigeria knowing the NFF's record with local coaches and the shorter leash they have for success? What is wrong with people wishing the man well and praying he does well even if they are not sure about him? I didn't like Peseiro but I was desperate for us to win the AFCON final.

Finidi has taken the role and it is up to him to prove those of us that are skeptics wrong. If he does well I will carry his matter on my head. Some people like Vancity will not see any good in him no matter what happens. But most are not like that. I was skeptical when Keshi was appointed - but I thank God for that appointment and the joy it brought to us.
Well said. You are one of the few rational guys on this forum.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

I have no faith in Finidi. Looks a poor coach to me. I pray he feeds me loads of humble pie.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

bret- hart wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:49 am

Thats what angers me the most. The money is there to hire a quality coach but those baaa5tards in public office will eat the money then lie that their is no money. See Zambia was able to hire Harve Renard back in the day and now they have Avram Grant. Can Nigeria ever hire coaches of such status. Na rubbish coaches like Bo$$o and Finidi we dey manage so. Ahhh I tire.
Get it into your coconut head, WE DON'T HAVE MONEY!

Take Cyber Eagles for an example. No one wonders who keeps the light on. Not once have we organized to attend a football game as a group and support the team.

But yet, you guys believe there's money somewhere to pay the coaches and support the team.

You want a coach with "status". Na for mouth dem dey use pay dem?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

EIGHT MATCHES.

WE ARE IN A MESS!

Understanding that we are in a mess will force us not to leave anything to chance. The pressure should be on the NFF, The Sports Ministry and the Presidency (Presidential Taskforce) to make sure everything is put at their disposal to put us in the best place to qualify.

We dropped 2 points at home! We only have 2 points out of a possible 6 points against the weaker(est) teams in the group, and only a dishonest person will believe we are not in a mess.

We are not leading our group. We still have games against South Africa, and our ECOWAS neighbor, Benin, coached by a guy who wants nothing better than to beat us.

Try to be honest, even if it causes you to break out into rashes.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Think about this, folks.

Bell
I see you are still bleating. :oops:

You say things that are so far from reality that one has to wonder about you sometimes. You are so deeply xenophobic that you will select a mad man on the streets of Nnewi to coach us over a qualified person, simply because the person is not a Nigerian. :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?