Here we go again: Open camp of SE to local talent-Finidi's first move

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Here we go again: Open camp of SE to local talent-Finidi's first move

Post by aruako1 »

icee wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:30 pm the responses so far are exactly why we need a coach that counters the Nigerian element of oddities. Imagine this headline: ***Brazilian Coach throws camp open for home based players for Senior Team selection. ***

Even with a better league than our NPFL wouldn't this sound off to you?

Here's the starting line up of Brazil's 2026 WC Qualifier vs. Colombia in November: Brazil’s confirmed starting 11: Alisson; Renan Lodi, Gabriel Magalhaes, Marquinhos, Emerson Royal; Bruno Guimaraes, Andre; Rodrygo, Vinicius Jr., Raphinha, and Gabriel Martinelli. No home based

Again: Why and why do we focus on
Local Coach vs. best coach
Local players vs Best players

and needlessly add complications to decision processes that can be straightforward. Again we have U17, U21, U23 where the proposed may be legitimate or should be the primary conduit for unearthing talent

As per Ikpeba in his qoute in supporting Finidi's mandate on local talent. He said it was the same way we found Finidi by looking inward. What a joke? like we order from restaurants in 2024 the same way we did in 1994? In a world where we have TV and broadcast, why on earth should we waste resources for some silly camp AT the senior level to find talent?? Is that how we found Nwabili. I am more missed at the how (camping players) vs..fishing for home based talent. The whole set up tells you what you need to know. We can keep defending this. Nigerians are the one breed that this wouldn't come across as odd. They wanted Pisero to do this time wasting Charade and he pushed back...he can go watch them play the same way he watched Nwabili whereever he was.

Anyways, prayers. Start expecting some odd names to pop up that are not even the best in the league. Shebi the want to unearth talent? you will see the kind of HB players aka Tazania player that we will start to feature
There was a lot to criticise Finidi for during the games against Ghana and Mali. However, there is nothing to criticise if he decides to get home based players in camp ahead of the arrival of the foreign based players. We did it in 1994 and 2013 and won the AFCON each time.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:56 pm
Cellular wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:23 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:09 pm
Cellular wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:03 pm There are two players I believe can help the Super Eagles.

Sodiq Ismail, Right Back for Remo Stars
Ikenna Cooper, midfielder of Enyimba

I would like to see my client, Kingdom Osayi, invited as one of the goalies.

There's been a lot of hype about Sodiq. I wouldnt mind a player like that being invited. Especially as Aina is often injured, and he can play leftback anyways.

However this general camping of homebased players is a complete waste of time and resources.

I thought these guys had no money ? So they will fly in all these guys and put them up in hotels for what exactly ?
Sodiq is a solid crosser of the ball. The bend and pace at which he crosses the ball would be an added bonus for our forwards, especially if Osimhen is playing. He actually works on it... he is not like try-your-luck type of crosser. As they say in some quarters, "he puts some English to his crosses".

As for the general camping of local players. I don't know.
I have always been from the school of thought that we should have a dual program with regard to player development.

Finidi, having coached in the league for some time now, must have seen players who he thinks deserve a closer look by him without necessarily being called up to the full camp.

BTW, our best crosser of the ball is currently playing Center Back and he is having a heck of a season playing there.
Should we move him to RB? Or leave him where he is?

He cannot defend; sometimes even at a fundamental level. I see his stance in 1v1 and I am left SMDH!!!

Some of you people do not understand what it takes to play international football.

This is why CAF set up CHAN. Some people use it smartly; some others simply fool around with it...
Sorry, I don't agree with you.
He is a capable defender.
His offensive contribution makes up for whatever shortcomings he might have, in your opinion.
Depending on which Central Defender is aligned next to him and, more importantly, the guy who is in front of him, whatever deficiencies he has can be covered.

His crosses reminds me of Bassey's with the curve...Ameneke in his heyday with crosses and a cheap version of Trent Alexender Arnold, who seems to bend his leg and contort his body to deliver crosses. Just saying that there's something there to work with.

We have a magnificent header of the ball in Osimhen. Having another guy who can deliver good crosses routinely to him will be a good thing to look at.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:13 pm
txj wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:56 pm
Cellular wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:23 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:09 pm
Cellular wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:03 pm There are two players I believe can help the Super Eagles.

Sodiq Ismail, Right Back for Remo Stars
Ikenna Cooper, midfielder of Enyimba

I would like to see my client, Kingdom Osayi, invited as one of the goalies.

There's been a lot of hype about Sodiq. I wouldnt mind a player like that being invited. Especially as Aina is often injured, and he can play leftback anyways.

However this general camping of homebased players is a complete waste of time and resources.

I thought these guys had no money ? So they will fly in all these guys and put them up in hotels for what exactly ?
Sodiq is a solid crosser of the ball. The bend and pace at which he crosses the ball would be an added bonus for our forwards, especially if Osimhen is playing. He actually works on it... he is not like try-your-luck type of crosser. As they say in some quarters, "he puts some English to his crosses".

As for the general camping of local players. I don't know.
I have always been from the school of thought that we should have a dual program with regard to player development.

Finidi, having coached in the league for some time now, must have seen players who he thinks deserve a closer look by him without necessarily being called up to the full camp.

BTW, our best crosser of the ball is currently playing Center Back and he is having a heck of a season playing there.
Should we move him to RB? Or leave him where he is?

He cannot defend; sometimes even at a fundamental level. I see his stance in 1v1 and I am left SMDH!!!

Some of you people do not understand what it takes to play international football.

This is why CAF set up CHAN. Some people use it smartly; some others simply fool around with it...
Sorry, I don't agree with you.
He is a capable defender.
His offensive contribution makes up for whatever shortcomings he might have, in your opinion.
Depending on which Central Defender is aligned next to him and, more importantly, the guy who is in front of him, whatever deficiencies he has can be covered.

His crosses reminds me of Bassey's with the curve...Ameneke in his heyday with crosses and a cheap version of Trent Alexender Arnold, who seems to bend his leg and contort his body to deliver crosses. Just saying that there's something there to work with.

We have a magnificent header of the ball in Osimhen. Having another guy who can deliver good crosses routinely to him will be a good thing to look at.

The highlighted says it all.

I have no further use for this debate...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Good move, you also need a CHAN team. You never know there might be a hidden gem.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Good move, you also need a CHAN team. You never know there might be a hidden gem.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

This is the approach i want for Nigeria. Develop the local league.

Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

GEORGE, WOLVES AT THE DOOR

It only took the hiring of a Nigerian by the NFF for a Nigerian job which is paid for by Nigerians to bring them out of the woodwork. How dare the NFF.

How else do you explain starting a thread to upbraid the new coach for the allegedly wasteful and unproductive act of opening a camp to unearth potential national team players? I guess the cost of busing in a bunch of players, camping them for a few days and serving them Gatorade would do irreparable havoc to their budget. Not only that, it would throw planning for the upcoming WC qualifiers out of whack since it’s impossible to do both at the same time.

Never mind that this is being done by a new coach, with excellent credentials, who has experience coaching in the league and may believe the league could have hidden gems. Even if he finds no one who could be of help immediately but sees a few to keep an eye on for future tournaments? Maybe he’s not the typical Nigerian whose only concern is the now, the heck with long term planning, something foreign coaches have no interest in, not being invested in the country. And even if he finds nobody worthy, what harm has been done? Does that not mean he can now focus his full attention elsewhere?

One thing never to be forgotten, like it or not, the SE will primarily be populated by players in the Nigerian league. That means it cannot be ignored.

For them to start nitpicking before the man is even introduced shows you how much they want him to fail, despite their nice words, so they can bring back foreign coaches. No one has forgotten that only days ago some of these people who may never have played competitive matches were complaining that a Nigerian who played successfully at the highest level of world football, and who also coached in Europe, did not understand the basic principles of substitutions. Unbelievable.

They will say they don’t care about the race or nationality of the coach. Do you believe them? Then when was the last time a thread like this was opened for a foreign coach? They can’t wait to start a hatchet job on him. Personally, I don't care about the race but he must qualify for a Nigerian passport by birth, parents, adoption, marriage, time spent in the country, naturalization, etc.

No, Brazil doesn’t use this approach, but the last time I checked Nigeria is not Brazil, and Brazil is not Nigeria’s role model. Just because Brazil does/doesn’t do it does not mean Nigeria should follow in lock step. And if Nigeria is to blindly copy Brazil then it would never hire a foreign coach because Brazilians are too proud to do that. They get their own local coaches and then they stamp the Brazilian style on their teams. Nigeria on the other hand globetrots all over Europe looking for one misfit after another.

The NFF has taken the first step in hiring George. Let them take the next step in letting these internal saboteurs know that should George fail, the next in line (in alphabetical disorder) is Amunike, Siasia, Oliseh, Amokachi or a consortium. Let them know that for a long time to come Nigeria is not going to go out looking for a foreign coach to put an end to this destructive attitude.
Bell
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

gochino wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:56 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:06 pm
aruako1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:00 pm I don't see anything wrong with a homebased training camp prior to the release of foreign players.
Which successful African team does this ?

CIV ?

Senegal ?

Morocco ?
Are those teams more successful than Nigeria when it comes to African football?
Iike I stated our most successful coaches till date, Keshi and Westerhoff did exactly that. It shows Long term planning.
YES THEY ARE.

Morocco is a world cup semi finalist.

Senegal is a world cup quarterfinalist, plus made the knockout rounds of the recent world cup we couldn't even qualify for.

CIV and Senegal have both won the most recent afcons that were 24 team editions. Much more difficult competitions than the moi moi tournaments we won in 1994 and 2013.

CIV has won afcon twice since last time we won.

YES all those teams are more successful than Nigeria. Only a fool would argue otherwise.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

txj wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:59 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:04 pm
txj wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:58 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:14 pm
wanaj0 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:10 pm
aruako1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:00 pm I don't see anything wrong with a homebased training camp prior to the release of foreign players.

CIV ?

Senegal ?

Morocco ?
Keshi did and won the AFCON. I know you wish that the 2013 ANC is removed from memory :taunt:
2024 and you are stuck a decade ago.

That kind of nonsense will not succeed in 2024.

You are aware that we also had nowhere near as many players in Europe in 2013 as we do today. You are aware of that right ?

I ask again, which successful African team does this ?

Even the US does it, in their annual January camp program for MLS players...
Does the US do it as prep for a vital world cup qualifier ?

The point is that there is a way to use HB camping to support the full NT, and that is thru CHAN...
Yes and NOT through WCQ pre camping.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Bell wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:46 am GEORGE, WOLVES AT THE DOOR

It only took the hiring of a Nigerian by the NFF for a Nigerian job which is paid for by Nigerians to bring them out of the woodwork. How dare the NFF.

How else do you explain starting a thread to upbraid the new coach for the allegedly wasteful and unproductive act of opening a camp to unearth potential national team players? I guess the cost of busing in a bunch of players, camping them for a few days and serving them Gatorade would do irreparable havoc to their budget. Not only that, it would throw planning for the upcoming WC qualifiers out of whack since it’s impossible to do both at the same time.

Never mind that this is being done by a new coach, with excellent credentials, who has experience coaching in the league and may believe the league could have hidden gems. Even if he finds no one who could be of help immediately but sees a few to keep an eye on for future tournaments? Maybe he’s not the typical Nigerian whose only concern is the now, the heck with long term planning, something foreign coaches have no interest in, not being invested in the country. And even if he finds nobody worthy, what harm has been done? Does that not mean he can now focus his full attention elsewhere?

One thing never to be forgotten, like it or not, the SE will primarily be populated by players in the Nigerian league. That means it cannot be ignored.

For them to start nitpicking before the man is even introduced shows you how much they want him to fail, despite their nice words, so they can bring back foreign coaches. No one has forgotten that only days ago some of these people who may never have played competitive matches were complaining that a Nigerian who played successfully at the highest level of world football, and who also coached in Europe, did not understand the basic principles of substitutions. Unbelievable.

They will say they don’t care about the race or nationality of the coach. Do you believe them? Then when was the last time a thread like this was opened for a foreign coach? They can’t wait to start a hatchet job on him. Personally, I don't care about the race but he must qualify for a Nigerian passport by birth, parents, adoption, marriage, time spent in the country, naturalization, etc.

No, Brazil doesn’t use this approach, but the last time I checked Nigeria is not Brazil, and Brazil is not Nigeria’s role model. Just because Brazil does/doesn’t do it does not mean Nigeria should follow in lock step. And if Nigeria is to blindly copy Brazil then it would never hire a foreign coach because Brazilians are too proud to do that. They get their own local coaches and then they stamp the Brazilian style on their teams. Nigeria on the other hand globetrots all over Europe looking for one misfit after another.

The NFF has taken the first step in hiring George. Let them take the next step in letting these internal saboteurs know that should George fail, the next in line (in alphabetical disorder) is Amunike, Siasia, Oliseh, Amokachi or a consortium. Let them know that for a long time to come Nigeria is not going to go out looking for a foreign coach to put an end to this destructive attitude.
Bell

Kpom

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

ohenhen1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:08 am

Bell

Kpom
You guys are corrupt to the marrow. So SE camp is now for finding needles in a haystack? Westerhoff did 30yrs ago is not justification for doing it today. If the league, academies and youth organizations cannot find the gems, what makes you think Finidi will find the gems in a couple days?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Bell
So a coach who has experience in the NPFL and is still a coach of a NPFL league needs a full camp to unearth hidden gems? Really? Hasn’t he been scouting and playing against opposition teams in the last couple of years? I would have to assume you didn’t mean what you wrote here.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Lolly wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:13 am

Bell
So a coach who has experience in the NPFL and is still a coach of a NPFL league needs a full camp to unearth hidden gems? Really? Hasn’t he been scouting and playing against opposition teams in the last couple of years? I would have to assume you didn’t mean what you wrote here.
TO ANSWER YOU & emir kongi jaffa...

...the answer is "yes". It's one thing to see a player with his club but you wonder how that player would perform when the competition moves to the next level. I'm not sure he or his supporters expect to see 10 new NT players - it could be zero to two. Three would make it a roaring success. Can any of you detractors tell what is lost even if none is found? And if none are found he now knows he has to focus elsewhere but how do you see without looking? And for the gentleman who said Westerhof did it 30 years ago, I ask so what?
Bell
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

He has already unearth them. The camping is to see how they respond to his coaching. Also builds depth.
The coach will no longer depend on foreign based players. More players available for selection. It was stupid to ignore your own league. All past World Cup winners have good local leagues.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Bell wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:40 am

Bell

...the answer is "yes". It's one thing to see a player with his club but you wonder how that player would perform when the competition moves to the next level. I'm not sure he or his supporters expect to see 10 new NT players - it could be zero to two. Three would make it a roaring success. Can any of you detractors tell what is lost even if none is found? And if none are found he now knows he has to focus elsewhere but how do you see without looking? And for the gentleman who said Westerhof did it 30 years ago, I ask so what?
Bell
I can’t believe what I am reading. :lol:

If Finidi needs further assessment of a player who has caught his attention and has already proven himself in the league, how is the said player a “hidden gem”? Hidden where? In the league or under the bridge?

Bros, let’s be serious. This is senior international football we are talking about, not a Sunday kick about. Any player invited to camp should have been scouted and watched numerous times before inviting them. If he does not plan to do that, then he is a joker. Nothing more to add.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Lolly wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:54 am
Bell wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:40 am

Bell

Bell
I can’t believe what I am reading. :lol:

If Finidi needs further assessment of a player who has caught his attention and has already proven himself in the league, how is the said player a “hidden gem”? Hidden where? In the league or under the bridge?

Bros, let’s be serious. This is senior international football we are talking about, not a Sunday kick about. Any player invited to camp should have been scouted and watched numerous times before inviting them. If he does not plan to do that, then he is a joker. Nothing more to add.
HIDDEN GEMS BECAUSE THEY'RE UNPROVEN AGAINST TOUGHER COMPETITION

But don't get hung up on my words: would it satisfy you if I say "intriguing players" instead?
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:18 am

CIV ?

Senegal ?

Morocco ?
Iike I stated our most successful coaches till date, Keshi and Westerhoff did exactly that. It shows Long term planning.
YES THEY ARE.

Senegal is a world cup quarterfinalist, plus made the knockout rounds of the recent world cup we couldn't even qualify for.

CIV and Senegal have both won the most recent afcons that were 24 team editions. Much more difficult competitions than the moi moi tournaments we won in 1994 and 2013.

YES all those teams are more successful than Nigeria. Only a fool would argue otherwise.
Ok, your opinion! What exactly do all these 3 African teams have in common?...Correct! They have a local coach. So if at all we want to emulate them,then we have started well by getting a local coach.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

People that defended a coach selecting only 25 players when he could have selected 27 are criticising another for calling up local league players before foreign players come in.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

gochino wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:28 am
vancity eagle wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:18 am

CIV ?

Senegal ?

Morocco ?
YES THEY ARE.

Ok, your opinion! What exactly do all these 3 African teams have in common?...Correct! They have a local coach. So if at all we want to emulate them,then we have started well by getting a local coach.
Fae and Regragui are French, so no they aren't actually "local"

Even Cisse apparently moved to France at a young age.

Even if I grant you that these coaches are "local"

NONE OF THEM ARE HOLDING HOMEBASED CAMPS BEFORE WCQ.

NONE OF THEM ARE SEARCHING LOCAL LEAGUES FOR "HIDDEN GEMS"

NONE OF THEM RE TRYING TO MARKET PLAYERS.

Your outdated nonsense is NOT a strategy for success.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

aruako1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 am People that defended a coach selecting only 25 players when he could have selected 27
I see you are still pushing that LIE.

Keep it up, it's all you guys ever do.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

aruako1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 am People that defended a coach selecting only 25 players when he could have selected 27 are criticising another for calling up local league players before foreign players come in.
Bros, who defended the coach for selecting only 25 players when the decision was not his. Wasn’t it an affordability issue? The coach doesn’t fund the camp.

Secondly, I can’t see anyone criticising the coach for calling up local league players before foreign based players. I see people criticising him for opening a camp to unearth hidden gems a few weeks to two very important World Cup qualifiers. Big difference.

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:28 am
aruako1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 am People that defended a coach selecting only 25 players when he could have selected 27 are criticising another for calling up local league players before foreign players come in.
Bros, who defended the coach for selecting only 25 players when the decision was not his. Wasn’t it an affordability issue? The coach doesn’t fund the camp.

Secondly, I can’t see anyone criticising the coach for calling up local league players before foreign based players. I see people criticising him for opening a camp to unearth hidden gems a few weeks to two very important World Cup qualifiers. Big difference.
Bro a few forumers that are criticising him here defended the 25 man list. The manager is quoted as saying that he was happy with 25 players. Finidi is being criticised for planning to hold a homebased camp before foreign players come in. Would we be talking about "hidden gems" if he invites the likes of Mbaoma, Leke Ojo and Sodiq? If it is about "hidden gems" why did we not hold fire until his list came out?