Here we go again: Open camp of SE to local talent-Finidi's first move

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Here we go again: Open camp of SE to local talent-Finidi's first move

Post by Lolly »

aruako1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:10 am
Lolly wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:28 am
aruako1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 am People that defended a coach selecting only 25 players when he could have selected 27 are criticising another for calling up local league players before foreign players come in.
Bros, who defended the coach for selecting only 25 players when the decision was not his. Wasn’t it an affordability issue? The coach doesn’t fund the camp.

Secondly, I can’t see anyone criticising the coach for calling up local league players before foreign based players. I see people criticising him for opening a camp to unearth hidden gems a few weeks to two very important World Cup qualifiers. Big difference.
Bro a few forumers that are criticising him here defended the 25 man list. The manager is quoted as saying that he was happy with 25 players. Finidi is being criticised for planning to hold a homebased camp before foreign players come in. Would we be talking about "hidden gems" if he invites the likes of Mbaoma, Leke Ojo and Sodiq? If it is about "hidden gems" why did we not hold fire until his list came out?
I don't know who criticised Peseinro or defended him for the 25 man list. All In know is majority were led to believe the primary reason for going to the tournament with only 25 instead of the maximum 27 allowed was to reduce or manage costs, not because that is what Peseinro wants.

Also, people are querying the purpose of a home-based players camp so close to the qualifiers, not the holding of the camp itself. If he invites 3-5 local players to camp. then that would be understandable. But inviting a full team of local players and taking them away from their clubs just to see them close up so close to the qualifiers would be a pointless exercise unless he is working on his CHAN team. At least you seem to agree that he is not trying to use the camp to "unearth hidden gems" as some has alluded.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:19 pm
aruako1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 am People that defended a coach selecting only 25 players when he could have selected 27 are criticising another for calling up local league players before foreign players come in.
Bros, who defended the coach for selecting only 25 players when the decision was not his. Wasn’t it an affordability issue? The coach doesn’t fund the camp.

Secondly, I can’t see anyone criticising the coach for calling up local league players before foreign based players. I see people criticising him for opening a camp to unearth hidden gems a few weeks to two very important World Cup qualifiers. Big difference.
Bro a few forumers that are criticising him here defended the 25 man list. The manager is quoted as saying that he was happy with 25 players. Finidi is being criticised for planning to hold a homebased camp before foreign players come in. Would we be talking about "hidden gems" if he invites the likes of Mbaoma, Leke Ojo and Sodiq? If it is about "hidden gems" why did we not hold fire until his list came out?
I don't know who criticised Peseinro or defended him for the 25 man list. All In know is majority were led to believe the primary reason for going to the tournament with only 25 instead of the maximum 27 allowed was to reduce or manage costs, not because that is what Peseinro wants.

Also, people are querying the purpose of a home-based players camp so close to the qualifiers, not the holding of the camp itself. If he invites 3-5 local players to camp. then that would be understandable. But inviting a full team of local players and taking them away from their clubs just to see them close up so close to the qualifiers would be a pointless exercise unless he is working on his CHAN team. At least you seem to agree that he is not trying to use the camp to "unearth hidden gems" as some has alluded.
Something can exist on this forum if Lolly didn't see it. Some of the critics on this thread supported the 25 man list when it was criticised.

For me it doesn't matter if ge invites 3-5 or 20. It is his perogative. Many criticising him are just warming up to make unfounded corruption allegations.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly

The points you make here convinces me that the NFF is a much better prepared and organized units than many on CE.

While you seem focused on the upcoming WCQs, the NFF is thinking bigger and wider. The NFF plans not just for this WCQ but for Nigerian soccer. There are youth competitions and CHAN to prepare for. Not so. You want the NFF to wait until a week or so to those ones and many will then remember about poor planning?

Bros, to avoid poor and late planning is exactly what camps like this do. Keshi used it to improve Nigeria's performance at the time at all levels. He had the foresight. It is that foresight that I believe the NFF is attempting to milk. Yet many are being limited to the next competition?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:13 pm

Lolly

The points you make here convinces me that the NFF is a much better prepared and organized units than many on CE.

While you seem focused on the upcoming WCQs, the NFF is thinking bigger and wider. The NFF plans not just for this WCQ but for Nigerian soccer. There are youth competitions and CHAN to prepare for. Not so. You want the NFF to wait until a week or so to those ones and many will then remember about poor planning?

Bros, to avoid poor and late planning is exactly what camps like this do. Keshi used it to improve Nigeria's performance at the time at all levels. He had the foresight. It is that foresight that I believe the NFF is attempting to milk. Yet many are being limited to the next competition?

Bros, lets not deceive ourselves. The highlighted is not true...Not based on any known data, history or precedence...

We know the calendar for CHAN.

If the NFF is indeed looking at the long term, then they need to institute HB camping as a permanent fixture in their program/calendar.

These ad hoc campings do not speak to any sort of long term planning...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

I am leery about commenting on this because I'm not sure if this is a Finidi idea or an NFF idea or a figment of the reporter's imagination. We wont know because our coach has not been introduced and there has not been a formal press conference.

Let's assume it's true.

On the face of it, there's NO PROBLEM gathering the "best" NPFL players for the purpose of having a team for CHAN with an eye of 2 or 3 graduating to the main SE. But I have problems doing it before this crucial WCQ on June 7.

If you are following the league, there's a big fight for the championship and a HUGE Dogfight for the relegation. The league is currently on some type of break to allow Rivers United play make up games for games missed during their continental journey. By the time the league gets back in full swing, it's going to coincide with this alleged camping time. If Finidi is still a dual coach (we dont know because he hasnt said a word), he'll be in the middle of that championship fight....how is he going to navigate getting the best players form their clubs without being accused of trying to sabotage them for his own good???? How is he going to be away from his club to go focus on a national assignment 2 weeks before said date?

The logistics does not add up. Makes this near impossible to achieve for this WCQ Window.

The US does their camp in January I believe. I think MLS Season starts in March.....before you compare us to them, have this in the back of your mind. I know in the past, players have gone to camp on the weekdays and returned for games on the weekend....this is the business end of the season and games will come fast and thick. E go hard.

We know the CHAN Calendar, we should hopefully know our NPFL Calendar, take these into consideration and have your camp then.

For the purpose of this WCQ, Finidi should invite the best players in his opinion. If he thinks, based on his current knowledge of the league, that 3 or 4 can help us for this games, then he should go ahead and invite them.

No need for any camp now.
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

Kai... every d#$% in naija deh shout no local players given a chance. Now this man say he will give our kids a look. Some wicked people are finding some faults with this with slavery engrrriiishh language manipulations. gggeeerrrrooouuuttt joooo
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Ugbowo wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:25 pm I am leery about commenting on this because I'm not sure if this is a Finidi idea or an NFF idea or a figment of the reporter's imagination. We wont know because our coach has not been introduced and there has not been a formal press conference.

Let's assume it's true.

On the face of it, there's NO PROBLEM gathering the "best" NPFL players for the purpose of having a team for CHAN with an eye of 2 or 3 graduating to the main SE. But I have problems doing it before this crucial WCQ on June 7.

If you are following the league, there's a big fight for the championship and a HUGE Dogfight for the relegation. The league is currently on some type of break to allow Rivers United play make up games for games missed during their continental journey. By the time the league gets back in full swing, it's going to coincide with this alleged camping time. If Finidi is still a dual coach (we dont know because he hasnt said a word), he'll be in the middle of that championship fight....how is he going to navigate getting the best players form their clubs without being accused of trying to sabotage them for his own good???? How is he going to be away from his club to go focus on a national assignment 2 weeks before said date?

The logistics does not add up. Makes this near impossible to achieve for this WCQ Window.

The US does their camp in January I believe. I think MLS Season starts in March.....before you compare us to them, have this in the back of your mind. I know in the past, players have gone to camp on the weekdays and returned for games on the weekend....this is the business end of the season and games will come fast and thick. E go hard.

We know the CHAN Calendar, we should hopefully know our NPFL Calendar, take these into consideration and have your camp then.

For the purpose of this WCQ, Finidi should invite the best players in his opinion. If he thinks, based on his current knowledge of the league, that 3 or 4 can help us for this games, then he should go ahead and invite them.

Ugbowo, as usual thanks for the detail. I didn't think about the effect on the ongoing league campaign. It makes sense to limit the camping based on the above.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Agbako wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:45 pm Kai... every d#$% in naija deh shout no local players given a chance. Now this man say he will give our kids a look. Some wicked people are finding some faults with this with slavery engrrriiishh language manipulations. gggeeerrrrooouuuttt joooo

You know, you can actually debate the issue and offer a real discussion on it, rather than this idiocy you peeps, led by Cellular have introduced to ruin this forum...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ugbowo wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:25 pm I am leery about commenting on this because I'm not sure if this is a Finidi idea or an NFF idea or a figment of the reporter's imagination. We wont know because our coach has not been introduced and there has not been a formal press conference.

Let's assume it's true.

Ugbowo

You make a point about the timing. This is particularly true given that a team like Rivers United is actually going to be involved in multiple midweek games to catch up with the schedule.

Besides that, the general idea is a very good one and one had was unquestionably successful when it was last used by Nigeria. It brought cohesion to several of the national teams from age grade to CHAN. It is nit a coincidence that Nigeria's achievements at CHAN competitions are directly and unquestionably linked to such camps.

I hope that the plan is true and shall come to fruition. My only worry is where will the NFF get the funds given its current complaints about lack of funds.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

aruako1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:48 pm

Let's assume it's true.

Ugbowo, as usual thanks for the detail. I didn't think about the effect on the ongoing league campaign. It makes sense to limit the camping based on the above.
Bros, you funny die. :lol: You didn't see where I wrote that he would be taking players away from their clubs to some camp for close up assessment?

Ugbowo has said it all in the highlighted, exactly what I said in my post. Finidi should invite a couple of players he believes could complement the current SE team, maybe 2-3 players. No need for some useless full homebased camp to unearth hidden gems.
Last edited by Lolly on Thu May 02, 2024 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

How we all factored in the possibility that FINIDI expects some players NOT to honor invitations given sentiments expressed after the last 2 friendlies? Plan B (partial use of home based players) has being activated.
Last edited by OJI on Thu May 02, 2024 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

OJI wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:23 pm How we all factored in the possibility that FINIDI expects some players NOT to honor invitations given sentiments expressed after the last 2 friendlies. Plan B (partial use of home based players) has being activated.
And he has to hold a full camp to identify the players that should replace the "AWOL" players? What about the big pool of players that have already been part of the squad over the last 2 years? Was he not part of the coaching crew that submitted a provisional list of 55 players to AFCON?

The home-based camp at this point in time is pointless and an unnecessary distraction from the primary task at hand. There is absolutely no justification for it. Te timing is wrong, the reason for it is wrong. I really hope Finidi is not thinking like some of us here, else we are in big trouble.

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:20 pm
aruako1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:48 pm

Let's assume it's true.

Bros, you funny die. :lol: You didn't see where I wrote that he would be taking players away from their clubs to some camp for close up assessment?

Ugbowo has said it all in the highlighted, exactly what I said in my post. Finidi Invite the a couple of players he believes could complement the current SE team, maybe 2-3 players. No need for some useless full homebased camp to unearth hidden gems.
No. I didn't see it or maybe I did not read it properly. I would have agreed with you. It happens.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

It’s obviously fake news from the same source as the link below highlights.
This is not the time to be mucking around with local players, it’s time for focus on the key players for the 2 crucial WCQs

https://owngoalnigeria.com/2024/05/09/f ... e-returns/
I am happy
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Dammy wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:06 pm It’s obviously fake news from the same source as the link below highlights.
This is not the time to be mucking around with local players, it’s time for focus on the key players for the 2 crucial WCQs

Some never learn. If 80% of the players picked are from the Afcon team that leaves 20% that could be gate crashers. Abi. :sneaky:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:35 pm
Dammy wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:06 pm It’s obviously fake news from the same source as the link below highlights.

Some never learn. If 80% of the players picked are from the Afcon team that leaves 20% that could be gate crashers. Abi. :sneaky:
Probably those who didn’t make AFCON like Boniface, Dessers, Ndidi, Akpoguma etc
I am happy
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Dammy wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:58 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:35 pm

Probably those who didn’t make AFCON like Boniface, Dessers, Ndidi, Akpoguma etc
Same article says Tella, Boniface, Ndidi, Dessers will be added to the afcon players.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The team is already there for Finidi.

He has been with them for 2 years. There is no need to deviate very much from Peseiros team. He just needs to plug a hole or two.

If he wants to be successful he will stick with mostly the same team.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:25 pm The team is already there for Finidi.

He has been with them for 2 years. There is no need to deviate very much from Peseiros team. He just needs to plug a hole or two.

I can garan-damn - tee there'll be local players on that list.
OCCUPY NFF!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:41 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:25 pm The team is already there for Finidi.

I can garan-damn - tee there'll be local players on that list.

And what's wrong with that?