Here we go again: Open camp of SE to local talent-Finidi's first move

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Here we go again: Open camp of SE to local talent-Finidi's first move

Post by txj »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:14 pm
wanaj0 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:10 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:06 pm
aruako1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:00 pm I don't see anything wrong with a homebased training camp prior to the release of foreign players.
Which successful African team does this ?

CIV ?

Senegal ?

Morocco ?
Keshi did and won the AFCON. I know you wish that the 2013 ANC is removed from memory :taunt:
2024 and you are stuck a decade ago.

That kind of nonsense will not succeed in 2024.

You are aware that we also had nowhere near as many players in Europe in 2013 as we do today. You are aware of that right ?

I ask again, which successful African team does this ?

Even the US does it, in their annual January camp program for MLS players...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

maceo4 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:53 pm
Lolly wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:40 pm
Cellular wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:03 pm There are two players I believe can help the Super Eagles.

Sodiq Ismail, Right Back for Remo Stars
Ikenna Cooper, midfielder of Enyimba

I would like to see my client, Kingdom Osayi, invited as one of the goalies.
Thank you sir. Those two players are good enough to be considered. I would have loved to see Ikenna involved in the friendlies last month since we are weak in the CM position. But coach decided on a defender from Tanzania.
So if this Ikenna now goes to Tanzania you would no longer support his invite? Since that was the case with Tanimu as he was one of the best in the NPFL before moving to Tanzania…so I’m trying to understand the slick ‘shade’ lol…
No. If Ikenna was a central defender, I wouldn’t have invited him. You gerrit?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

They must open market naw. :laugh:
You think they will go through the trouble of hiring a local coach and not open market? Dey dia naw. :rotf:
OCCUPY NFF!!
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Opening of the Camp for local players isn't new. It is a great idea. Westerhof started it, as far as I recall
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

If he's the coach of the CHAN team, open camp will help. It could also help with discovering players that could be referred to the U20 amd U23 teams, assuming Finidi talks with those coaches as he should. He may discover 1-3 players for the main SE, but I'm not expecting more than that.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

olu wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:13 pm If he's the coach of the CHAN team, open camp will help. It could also help with discovering players that could be referred to the U20 amd U23 teams, assuming Finidi talks with those coaches as he should. He may discover 1-3 players for the main SE, but I'm not expecting more than that.
Since when did national team camps became the place to discover players? Though it was only to that get invited to national camp. No?
OCCUPY NFF!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

aruako1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:00 pm I don't see anything wrong with a homebased training camp prior to the release of foreign players.

CIV ?

Senegal ?

Morocco ?
Na so we am oo. Might as well just open camp to every able bodied man to fight for a shirt.
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Lolly wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:59 pm
maceo4 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:53 pm
Lolly wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:40 pm
Cellular wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:03 pm There are two players I believe can help the Super Eagles.

Sodiq Ismail, Right Back for Remo Stars
Ikenna Cooper, midfielder of Enyimba

I would like to see my client, Kingdom Osayi, invited as one of the goalies.
Thank you sir. Those two players are good enough to be considered. I would have loved to see Ikenna involved in the friendlies last month since we are weak in the CM position. But coach decided on a defender from Tanzania.
So if this Ikenna now goes to Tanzania you would no longer support his invite? Since that was the case with Tanimu as he was one of the best in the NPFL before moving to Tanzania…so I’m trying to understand the slick ‘shade’ lol…
No. If Ikenna was a central defender, I wouldn’t have invited him. You gerrit?
No I don’t as we were missing CBs like Ekong and the one from Luton through injured. At CM there were no injuries and also there are other CM options in Europe that can be called before this Ikenna guy, so I’m not seeing why one is ok and the other isn’t…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

icee wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:30 pm the responses so far are exactly why we need a coach that counters the Nigerian element of oddities. Imagine this headline: ***Brazilian Coach throws camp open for home based players for Senior Team selection. ***

Even with a better league than our NPFL wouldn't this sound off to you?

Here's the starting line up of Brazil's 2026 WC Qualifier vs. Colombia in November: Brazil’s confirmed starting 11: Alisson; Renan Lodi, Gabriel Magalhaes, Marquinhos, Emerson Royal; Bruno Guimaraes, Andre; Rodrygo, Vinicius Jr., Raphinha, and Gabriel Martinelli. No home based

Again: Why and why do we focus on
Local Coach vs. best coach
Local players vs Best players

and needlessly add complications to decision processes that can be straightforward. Again we have U17, U21, U23 where the proposed may be legitimate or should be the primary conduit for unearthing talent

As per Ikpeba in his qoute in supporting Finidi's mandate on local talent. He said it was the same way we found Finidi by looking inward. What a joke? like we order from restaurants in 2024 the same way we did in 1994? In a world where we have TV and broadcast, why on earth should we waste resources for some silly camp AT the senior level to find talent?? Is that how we found Nwabili. I am more missed at the how (camping players) vs..fishing for home based talent. The whole set up tells you what you need to know. We can keep defending this. Nigerians are the one breed that this wouldn't come across as odd. They wanted Pisero to do this time wasting Charade and he pushed back...he can go watch them play the same way he watched Nwabili whereever he was.

Anyways, prayers. Start expecting some odd names to pop up that are not even the best in the league. Shebi the want to unearth talent? you will see the kind of HB players aka Tazania player that we will start to feature
This is exactly my problem with WOWOs. You deliberately and shamelessly misrepresent the facts. That Brazilian squad didn’t consist of just the 11 players in the starting lineup. You should have listed all the players in the squad… and mind you, even if the entire squad was foreign based, you still wouldn’t have a viable point because Nigeria does not have to do what other countries do to be successful.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how did you order food in 2024 that’s different from how you ordered it in 1994?

Finally, we don’t need prayers; just the support of all Nigerian football fans🤔❗️

Cheers.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

txj wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:58 pm

CIV ?

Senegal ?

Morocco ?
Keshi did and won the AFCON. I know you wish that the 2013 ANC is removed from memory :taunt:

You are aware that we also had nowhere near as many players in Europe in 2013 as we do today. You are aware of that right ?

Does the US do it as prep for a vital world cup qualifier ?
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:01 pm
icee wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:30 pm the responses so far are exactly why we need a coach that counters the Nigerian element of oddities. Imagine this headline: ***Brazilian Coach throws camp open for home based players for Senior Team selection. ***

Here's the starting line up of Brazil's 2026 WC Qualifier vs. Colombia in November: Brazil’s confirmed starting 11: Alisson; Renan Lodi, Gabriel Magalhaes, Marquinhos, Emerson Royal; Bruno Guimaraes, Andre; Rodrygo, Vinicius Jr., Raphinha, and Gabriel Martinelli. No home based

and needlessly add complications to decision processes that can be straightforward. Again we have U17, U21, U23 where the proposed may be legitimate or should be the primary conduit for unearthing talent

As per Ikpeba in his qoute in supporting Finidi's mandate on local talent. He said it was the same way we found Finidi by looking inward. What a joke? like we order from restaurants in 2024 the same way we did in 1994? In a world where we have TV and broadcast, why on earth should we waste resources for some silly camp AT the senior level to find talent?? Is that how we found Nwabili. I am more missed at the how (camping players) vs..fishing for home based talent. The whole set up tells you what you need to know. We can keep defending this. Nigerians are the one breed that this wouldn't come across as odd. They wanted Pisero to do this time wasting Charade and he pushed back...he can go watch them play the same way he watched Nwabili whereever he was.

Anyways, prayers. Start expecting some odd names to pop up that are not even the best in the league. Shebi the want to unearth talent? you will see the kind of HB players aka Tazania player that we will start to feature
This is exactly my problem with WOWOs. You deliberately and shamelessly misrepresent the facts. That Brazilian squad didn’t consist of just the 11 players in the starting lineup. You should have listed all the players in the squad… and mind you, even if the entire squad was foreign based, you still wouldn’t have a viable point because Nigeria does not have to do what other countries do to be successful.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how did you order food in 2024 that’s different from how you ordered it in 1994?

Finally, we don’t need prayers; just the support of all Nigerian football fans🤔❗️

Cheers.
I order food on an app; I peruse several restaurants on the app, choose a restaurant I like and then order on the app. The analogy is...you don't have to assemble and camp even if you want to discover talent at the senior level in 2024. There's ample TV/youtube coverage. Also, in the 1990s you could find the best talent available to Nigeria in the local league. In 2024, that is very unlikely as most of the best talents are abroad at the senior level are abroad. So when I see or hear opening camp...it's not that i'm pushing against local talent. I am pushing against something, an approach that comes across wasteful or one with motives that I question. Folks here had already pointed out some talent based on..not opening camp but watching the games on TV or in person. The hint for me will be IF the best local players are indeed selected to represent or fill-in-need positions. The Tanzania option during the friendlies doesn't give me confidence...it wreaks of something else. MLS is different, the best talents in America are in the MLS for the most part safe for a few Americans that play in the EPL, Italy. Brazil is in fact a better comparison than the US
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

icee wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:33 pm I have said this before; I am less interested in the dichotomy of local vs foreign coach or Oyinbo vs non-oyinbo. I think this too unintelligent (as I weary of using the word "dumb"). My yearning was for us to hire the best coach that we can afford. I did state that there are ONLY a few Nigerian coaches that have the character to counter the Nigerian excesses that shoot us in the foot. For example, I did not expect Eguavon to push back on Picknick or Air Peace CEO coming in to give a half-time talk during Afcon 2023. A Sunday Oliseh or Waldrum or Keshi would have pushed back. These types of important character trait of not being afraid to rock that NFF boat is critical to success especially for a local coach even more than a foreign coach (NFF wouldn't event try certain things with a foreign coach. Like we do not know right now how much Finidi will be paid).

I am hearing that Finidi's assistants will be selected by the NFF. Guys where do we see this happening? That's why a foreign coach will still typically bring their own competent key assistance even if it means we have 6 assistants instead of 3. You can see how the system starts to set up from the get go for sub optimal results

What is Finidi is not paid?

Then I see this article: I'm like yep...this is not looking good. Like you need to open camp to discover, not U17, U20, 21, 23 bit SE? What a waste.

https://soccernet.ng/2024/05/finidi-geo ... games.html

"To bolster Nigeria’s chances in the upcoming crucial 2026 World Cup qualifiers, newly appointed Super Eagles coach Finidi George is set to kick off preparations with a training camp exclusively featuring home-based talents, Soccernet.ng reports.

Nigeria take on South Africa and the Benin Republic in June on matchday three and four of the World Cup qualifying campaign in two crucial games.

Usually, the Super Eagles camp opens only a few days before major games with the arrival of the team’s foreign-based stars."

When I see stuff like this, as much as I want us to win; I just don't think we deserve it. Not talking about Finidi's technical capabilities for the job - the jury is still out on that but on the type of person especially if it is a local coach? I don't think he is it...time for prayers cos not very many other options.
I don't understand, why is opening a training camp for home based players a bad idea?? Our most successful coaches till date, Keshi and Westerhoff did exactly that. It shows Long term planning.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

icee wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:33 pm I have said this before; I am less interested in the dichotomy of local vs foreign coach or Oyinbo vs non-oyinbo. I think this too unintelligent (as I weary of using the word "dumb"). My yearning was for us to hire the best coach that we can afford. I did state that there are ONLY a few Nigerian coaches that have the character to counter the Nigerian excesses that shoot us in the foot. For example, I did not expect Eguavon to push back on Picknick or Air Peace CEO coming in to give a half-time talk during Afcon 2023. A Sunday Oliseh or Waldrum or Keshi would have pushed back. These types of important character trait of not being afraid to rock that NFF boat is critical to success especially for a local coach even more than a foreign coach (NFF wouldn't event try certain things with a foreign coach. Like we do not know right now how much Finidi will be paid).

I am hearing that Finidi's assistants will be selected by the NFF. Guys where do we see this happening? That's why a foreign coach will still typically bring their own competent key assistance even if it means we have 6 assistants instead of 3. You can see how the system starts to set up from the get go for sub optimal results

What is Finidi is not paid?

Then I see this article: I'm like yep...this is not looking good. Like you need to open camp to discover, not U17, U20, 21, 23 bit SE? What a waste.

https://soccernet.ng/2024/05/finidi-geo ... games.html

"To bolster Nigeria’s chances in the upcoming crucial 2026 World Cup qualifiers, newly appointed Super Eagles coach Finidi George is set to kick off preparations with a training camp exclusively featuring home-based talents, Soccernet.ng reports.

Nigeria take on South Africa and the Benin Republic in June on matchday three and four of the World Cup qualifying campaign in two crucial games.

Usually, the Super Eagles camp opens only a few days before major games with the arrival of the team’s foreign-based stars."

When I see stuff like this, as much as I want us to win; I just don't think we deserve it. Not talking about Finidi's technical capabilities for the job - the jury is still out on that but on the type of person especially if it is a local coach? I don't think he is it...time for prayers cos not very many other options.
I don't understand, why is opening a training camp for home based players a bad idea?? Our most successful coaches till date, Keshi and Westerhoff did exactly that. It shows Long term planning.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

CIV ?

Senegal ?

Morocco ?
Are those teams more successful than Nigeria when it comes to African football?
Iike I stated our most successful coaches till date, Keshi and Westerhoff did exactly that. It shows Long term planning.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Finidi’s move aligns with his dual mandate of steering Nigeria to qualification for the 2026 World Cup while also emphasizing the integration of local talents into the national team setup.
For all the serial moaners. Its is possible to walk and chew gum at the same time.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Are they coming to fight for shirt? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

CIV ?

Senegal ?

Morocco ?
The successful 1994 and 2013 Super Eagles teams did it
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

icee wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:39 pm
I order food on an app; I peruse several restaurants on the app, choose a restaurant I like and then order on the app. The analogy is...you don't have to assemble and camp even if you want to discover talent at the senior level in 2024. There's ample TV/youtube coverage. Also, in the 1990s you could find the best talent available to Nigeria in the local league. In 2024, that is very unlikely as most of the best talents are abroad at the senior level are abroad. So when I see or hear opening camp...it's not that i'm pushing against local talent. I am pushing against something, an approach that comes across wasteful or one with motives that I question. Folks here had already pointed out some talent based on..not opening camp but watching the games on TV or in person. The hint for me will be IF the best local players are indeed selected to represent or fill-in-need positions. The Tanzania option during the friendlies doesn't give me confidence...it wreaks of something else. MLS is different, the best talents in America are in the MLS for the most part safe for a few Americans that play in the EPL, Italy. Brazil is in fact a better comparison than the US
How about just another approach in motivating the foreign based players?
No position is guaranteed or no one should be that entitled.

Does Finidi believe some players don't show appropriate hunger? Lest we forget, he has been with most of the players.

Have y'all factored Finidi's lived experiences as a SuperEagles player?
Is he anticipating a scenario where there would be the inevitable drama with foreign based players? E.g. The Keshi led foreign pros and Westerhoff drama in 1990.

Have y'all factored what Finidi learnt from the past 2 friendlies he was in "charge"? The media, and fans' reaction to his nonuse of certain players?
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Cheers.
So why did Pasiero travel all the way to South Africa to watch Nwabali? Sebi Youtube clips dey? Or why does Southgate need to go to Manchester to watch some interesting prospects? Sebi Youtube dey?
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

gochino wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:16 pm

Cheers.
So why did Pasiero travel all the way to South Africa to watch Nwabali? Sebi Youtube clips dey? Or why does Southgate need to go to Manchester to watch some interesting prospects? Sebi Youtube dey?
It is ok to actually go and watch games and talk to coaches of the talent you've seen on TV /you tube after an initial narrowing. He had watched Nwabili then went to visit. Again folks immediately chimed names like Sodiq are solid HB folks not because anyone threw a camp open...this is the waste I'm moaning about and wreaks of something else. If for example, finidi likes Sodiq,he can then go see more games, talk to coach to discuss the kind of player he is, work ethic, strengths weakness. Southgate or any coach goes to games with a purpose they have a screened list and are trying to see if for example Alexander Arnold is better fit for his system, and overall team. He aint just going to games without a plan and most importantly not throwing any silly open camp. This stuff of opening camp is not for senior level in 2024. Anyways, I rest my case here.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cheers.
icee,

The bolded potion is a problem for me. It assumes that finding talent in Nigeria has a finite point. Well, it does not. Ten years from now, you may still be able to locate in Nigeria a talent worthy of representing Nigeria. Take that to the bank. WHY? because talent is producing in a revolving belt ... it is churned and churned and it is endless. Take a look at the talent constantly moving to Europe from Nigeria. Has it ended? Well, it is not ending anytime soon as long as babies are born in Nigeria and football continues to be opium for those babies. Ignore that at your peril.

What has baffled me for sometime is the refusal of Nigerian NT handlers to look to Nigeria to seek that talent and grab it whenever it emerges.

Well, you point that such talent is covered on TV or other media sources. Really? Unfortunately, that is a problem right there. Media coverage for the NPFL and teams at the lower cadre is very poor. Note that Rohr alluded to this but in a more complex manner... he did not directly mention media coverage but noted that the reason his scouts did not cover Nigeria was the absence of data on Nigerian players. My retort is that as national coach, you should be located in Nigeria and make the time to study the players instead of vacationing to Nigeria for a few days whenever a match comes up! If he had resided in Nigeria, he may have his men generate his own data on some of the players that he wished to track.

All in all, I see no logical sense in ignoring opportunity to scout a vast array of talents in the country that you manage. I see no rationale for that, at all.

Now, good a thing that you mention that USA also uses what had been suggested here already .... camping local lads with the intent to discover a few players that join the full national team. Currently there are two players, paying locally, who are also in the full USA national team. the full national team is just like Nigeria because most of top USA players actually play for clubs outside the country and not in the country. Yet, USA regularly selects players who are local to play in some competitions and some from that squad end up playing in the full NT.

If indeed Finidi does the above, it will be a good move but I suspect that NFF will have no funds for such. Keshi had done it with tremendous success but funding is a hindrance, according to the NFF. But there is no question that it does produce results.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Enugu II wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:30 pm

Cheers.
icee,

The bolded potion is a problem for me. It assumes that finding talent in Nigeria has a finite point. Well, it does not. Ten years from now, you may still be able to locate in Nigeria a talent worthy of representing Nigeria. Take that to the bank. WHY? because talent is producing in a revolving belt ... it is churned and churned and it is endless. Take a look at the talent constantly moving to Europe from Nigeria. Has it ended? Well, it is not ending anytime soon as long as babies are born in Nigeria and football continues to be opium for those babies. Ignore that at your peril.

What has baffled me for sometime is the refusal of Nigerian NT handlers to look to Nigeria to seek that talent and grab it whenever it emerges.

Well, you point that such talent is covered on TV or other media sources. Really? Unfortunately, that is a problem right there. Media coverage for the NPFL and teams at the lower cadre is very poor. Note that Rohr alluded to this but in a more complex manner... he did not directly mention media coverage but noted that the reason his scouts did not cover Nigeria was the absence of data on Nigerian players. My retort is that as national coach, you should be located in Nigeria and make the time to study the players instead of vacationing to Nigeria for a few days whenever a match comes up! If he had resided in Nigeria, he may have his men generate his own data on some of the players that he wished to track.

All in all, I see no logical sense in ignoring opportunity to scout a vast array of talents in the country that you manage. I see no rationale for that, at all.

Now, good a thing that you mention that USA also uses what had been suggested here already .... camping local lads with the intent to discover a few players that join the full national team. Currently there are two players, paying locally, who are also in the full USA national team. the full national team is just like Nigeria because most of top USA players actually play for clubs outside the country and not in the country. Yet, USA regularly selects players who are local to play in some competitions and some from that squad end up playing in the full NT.

If indeed Finidi does the above, it will be a good move but I suspect that NFF will have no funds for such. Keshi had done it with tremendous success but funding is a hindrance, according to the NFF. But there is no question that it does produce results.
Some good points raised overall in the thread: Especially the clarification of a dual mandate for CHAN. I am SE fan so I hope for the best
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:04 pm
txj wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:58 pm

CIV ?

Senegal ?

Morocco ?

Does the US do it as prep for a vital world cup qualifier ?

The point is that there is a way to use HB camping to support the full NT, and that is thru CHAN...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp