VICTOR IKPEBA Issues INSULT: "We Settled for him (Finidi)......"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
VICTOR IKPEBA Issues INSULT: "We Settled for him (Finidi)......"

Post by Enugu II »

Kai, na real waaaoooo!!!!
“We settled for him” – Former Super Eagles striker reveals why the NFF appointed Finidi George
https://soccernet.ng/2024/04/we-settled ... eorge.html

Finidi George and Victor Ikpeba were a part of the Nigerian team that won the 1994 AFCON competition.
Adefolahan Guerreiro by Adefolahan Guerreiro 1 day ago in AFCON, La Liga, News, Nigeria, This Week, Top, World Cup 0
“We settled for him” – Former Super Eagles striker reveals why the NFF appointed Finidi George
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

Former Nigeria and Borussia Dortmund forward, Victor Nosa Ikpeba has revealed that the Nigerian Football Federation had to settle for Finidi George in their search for a Super Eagles coach, Soccernet.ng reports.

Finidi George won the NPFL title with Enyimba last year, in what was his debut season as a coach, whilst working simultaneously with the national team as Jose Peseiro’s assistant.

Image Victor Ikpeba

Since the departure of the Portuguese tactician, the former Ajax winger was appointed as an interim coach to help oversee the Super Eagles during the March International break. Finidi coached Nigeria to a win against Ghana but lost the plot against Mali in Morocco.

Yesterday, the NFF announced that Finidi will continue to lead the team, this time, permanently. His primary aim is to lead the Super Eagles to the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

Speaking on the Monday Night Football show on Super Sports, Ikpeba, who was among the technical committee that recommended Finidi, stated that the NFF settled for him because of financial constraints.

“Firstly, I want to congratulate Finidi George on his appointment as the Super Eagles coach. However, it was a difficult task because we initially wanted a foreign manager. However, we settled for Finidi because of the finances. It’s not like we don’t have confidence in our own coaches back home. We thought there should be continuity in the way Peseiro took the team to the final of the 2023 AFCON,” the former Borussia Dortmund man said in quotes revealed by Complete Sports.

Ikpeba reiterated that the Federation could have opted for a foreign coach, instead, they chose to side with the plea of the Nigerian populace who wanted a local coach.

“So, eventually, we were guided by the NFF President to look inward. It’s not that we can’t afford a foreign manager, but Nigerians back home want a Nigerian coach, and that is what we have now,” the former Monaco forward admitted.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: VICTOR IKPEBA Issues INSULT: "We Settled for him (Finidi)......"

Post by maceo4 »

Basically…don’t blame us if it doesn’t work…we gave y’all what you wanted, kaiiiii….
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

This is good actually. When Finidi succeeds they can't take any credit. It's all on Finidi, the players n the fans. Ikpeba can't hide. Finidi will succeed.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Finidi can’t do it alone. He needs support. This statement if true is counter productive.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

Poor interview.

1. So what anxieties does Ikpeba have about local coaches that he needs to share, and have the general populace understand?

I2. t is then understood since the NFF can afford a foreign manager, we want to know Finidi's pay package. It appears just like the NIKE contract, this Finidi agreement would be declared null and void if it goes public.
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

Confusing article…

“we settled for him because of financial constraints”

Few lines later….

“it’s not that we couldn’t afford a foreign coach, but Nigerians wanted a local coach”

It’s either Ikpeba head no Dey house or this is Junk Journalism.

Meanwhile was Ikpeba part of AFCON 94?
Peter Obi For President 2023
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I was wondering about the 94 AFCON part too.
Babalawo wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:47 pm Confusing article…

Few lines later….

“it’s not that we couldn’t afford a foreign coach, but Nigerians wanted a local coach”

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Few lines later….

this is Junk J
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:21 pm I was wondering about the 94 AFCON part too.

Few lines later….

yes he was as well as the 94 world cup
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Afri ... ds#Nigeria
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA ... ds#Nigeria
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Enugu II wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:28 pm Kai, na real waaaoooo!!!!
https://soccernet.ng/2024/04/we-settled ... eorge.html

Finidi George and Victor Ikpeba were a part of the Nigerian team that won the 1994 AFCON competition.
Adefolahan Guerreiro by Adefolahan Guerreiro 1 day ago in AFCON, La Liga, News, Nigeria, This Week, Top, World Cup 0
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

Former Nigeria and Borussia Dortmund forward, Victor Nosa Ikpeba has revealed that the Nigerian Football Federation had to settle for Finidi George in their search for a Super Eagles coach, Soccernet.ng reports.

Finidi George won the NPFL title with Enyimba last year, in what was his debut season as a coach, whilst working simultaneously with the national team as Jose Peseiro’s assistant.

Image Victor Ikpeba

Since the departure of the Portuguese tactician, the former Ajax winger was appointed as an interim coach to help oversee the Super Eagles during the March International break. Finidi coached Nigeria to a win against Ghana but lost the plot against Mali in Morocco.

Yesterday, the NFF announced that Finidi will continue to lead the team, this time, permanently. His primary aim is to lead the Super Eagles to the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

Speaking on the Monday Night Football show on Super Sports, Ikpeba, who was among the technical committee that recommended Finidi, stated that the NFF settled for him because of financial constraints.

“Firstly, I want to congratulate Finidi George on his appointment as the Super Eagles coach. However, it was a difficult task because we initially wanted a foreign manager. However, we settled for Finidi because of the finances. It’s not like we don’t have confidence in our own coaches back home. We thought there should be continuity in the way Peseiro took the team to the final of the 2023 AFCON,” the former Borussia Dortmund man said in quotes revealed by Complete Sports.

Ikpeba reiterated that the Federation could have opted for a foreign coach, instead, they chose to side with the plea of the Nigerian populace who wanted a local coach.

“So, eventually, we were guided by the NFF President to look inward. It’s not that we can’t afford a foreign manager, but Nigerians back home want a Nigerian coach, and that is what we have now,” the former Monaco forward admitted.

Honestly people like Ikpeba shouldn’t be on committees like these or if they are, they should completely barred from making public comments.

When it comes to what to say publicly vs not, he might as well be 6 years old
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Now I see why Osimhen cussed him out. Dude is a twat.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Few lines later….

I SAW THE SAME SELF CONTRADICTIONS YOU DID

First he said they wanted a foreign coach but did not have the money. Then he said they gad the money.

He said they wanted a foreign coach but then he said he had confidence in a Nigerian.

And then he said they were bowing to the wishes of Nigerians meaning it's not their choice.

The only thing I'm happy about is the revelation that most Nigerians want a Nigeian.
Bell
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

NFF is to blame no matter what happens.

They clearly have the money to have gone for a better coach but settled for chopping money instead.

They are also reinstating the homebased quota, also to "save money" and promote agency business as well.

The homebased camping is basically letting us know there will be a homebased quota like they initially had with Peseiro.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

deanotito wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:41 am
Honestly people like Ikpeba shouldn’t be on committees like these or if they are, they should completely barred from making public comments.

He was making the comments on his show but he shouldn’t have said the things he said. But I suspect they are his personal opinions and not the committee’s going by the contradictory statements about finances. He was pushed by the host to reveal what happened and he felt he had to respond. Not good.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Lolly wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:43 am

He was making the comments on his show but he shouldn’t have said the things he said. But I suspect they are his personal opinions and not the committee’s going by the contradictory statements about finances. He was pushed by the host to reveal what happened and he felt he had to respond. Not good.
My point exactly. He shouldn’t be on that committee. Pushed by a host?? With all that his grey bia bia?? It’s obvious he didn’t really support the move to hire Finidi
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Lolly wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:43 am

Using 'we' takes it out of the realm of personal opinion. If he is working for a Corporate with a brand to protect, he could be fired for that feckless statement. What he has done with that statement is cast doubt over Finidi's competence, that was crass of him. That cannot be called a personal opinion, a personal opinion would be what he thought and felt about Finidi's appointment and would not use the word 'we'.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

bret- hart wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:47 am Now I see why Osimhen cussed him out. Dude is a twat.
Great player during his days but not the smartest individual, dude behaves like a tout.