“There is still bad blood” – Amunike makes first comments since losing Super Eagles job to Finidi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
“There is still bad blood” – Amunike makes first comments since losing Super Eagles job to Finidi

Post by iworo »

The ex-Barcelona and Sporting Lisbon winger was the favourite to land the Nigeria national team job but he was yet again overlooked

1994 Africa Footballer of the Year Emmanuel Amunike has made his first comments since the Nigeria Football Federation appointed Finidi George as the head coach of the Super Eagles, Soccernet.ng reports.

Amunike was the favourite to be named as Jose Peseiro’s successor once it was clear that the NFF had decided to engage a Nigerian coach and not a foreign one.

With a CV that included winning the FIFA U17 World Cup and coaching clubs in Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Egypt, and Nigeria, as well as guiding Tanzania to reach the 2019 AFCON, Amunike seemingly had the edge over Enyimba coach Finidi.

However, the NFF hired Finidi instead, citing the need to maintain continuity as the former Ajax Amsterdam man was Peseiro’s right-hand man at the 2023 AFCON, where Nigeria finished as vice-champions.

However, Amunike believes he was schemed out of the role because of some football officials in the country who still hold ‘bad blood’ for him due to past frictions.

The former Barcelona forward maintains these persons could be responsible for investigating the ‘misleading reports in the media’ that sought to tarnish his inage after he applied to coach the national team.
“They succeeded in smearing my name in the media because of the Eagles job,” Amuneke said, as per the Punch.

“They can continue with their propaganda, but I will remain disciplined. It’s not do-or-die job.

“All those allegations made in the media online because of the Eagles job are obviously not true, but those who recommended candidates for the job know I will not be easily bullied. I know there is still bad blood with these officials, but its fine.”
Amunike has previous coaching experience with the national teams at youth levels, having handled the Golden Eaglets and Flying Eagles at different times.

The 53-year-old tactician was also the Super Eagles assistant coach to Augustine Eguavoen, when Nigeria failed to pick up a a ticket to the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.

https://soccernet.ng/2024/05/there-is-s ... inidi.html
Bell
Egg
Egg
Re: “There is still bad blood” – Amunike makes first comments since losing Super Eagles job to Finidi

Post by Bell »

INTRIGUES ARE NOT LIMITED TO NIGERIA OR THE NFF

It's in everything worldwide, not just sports. We don't know if there's any in this case and if there is, it's not necessarily ill-motivated - there may be legitimate reasons to pick one person over another, especially if only one can be picked.

If Amunike saw something nefarious in the process let him bring it out. Otherwise, it's best for him to lay low and wait for other opportunities. And in the time being it helps if he's seen as a supporter of the selected candidate. Having indigenous coaches is bigger than one person's ambition. Antagonizing people is not the best way to go about things.
Bell
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: “There is still bad blood” – Amunike makes first comments since losing Super Eagles job to Finidi

Post by Dammy »

Of course there will be bad blood when you try to arm twist the NFF into hiring you!
I am happy
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Bell wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:12 am INTRIGUES ARE NOT LIMITED TO NIGERIA OR THE NFF

It's in everything worldwide, not just sports. We don't know if there's any in this case and if there is, it's not necessarily ill-motivated - there may be legitimate reasons to pick one person over another, especially if only one can be picked.

If Amunike saw something nefarious in the process let him bring it out. Otherwise, it's best for him to lay low and wait for other opportunities. And in the time being it helps if he's seen as a supporter of the selected candidate. Having indigenous coaches is bigger than one person's ambition. Antagonizing people is not the best way to go about things.
Bell
I spoke to him yesterday as soon as I saw this article, i think the use of the phrase "bad blood" sent out a wrong message. To start with Amuneke and Finidi are very close , he is is happy for Finidi. But it would appear whatever problems there are, dates back to his time with the association. He is seen as someone they cannot control, and that i think would always become the bad blood.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

oloye wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:02 am
Bell wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:12 am INTRIGUES ARE NOT LIMITED TO NIGERIA OR THE NFF

Bell
I spoke to him yesterday as soon as I saw this article, i think the use of the phrase "bad blood" sent out a wrong message. To start with Amuneke and Finidi are very close , he is is happy for Finidi. But it would appear whatever problems there are, dates back to his time with the association. He is seen as someone they cannot control, and that i think would always become the bad blood.
I actually thought it was fake news. So he said some things about him losing out? Interesting.

His time will come.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Lolly wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:53 am

Bell
I actually thought it was fake news. So he said some things about him losing out? Interesting.

His time will come.
I dont know if he did, I saw the report so i gave him a call. I did not mention the report , just talked about the the whole saga of him not getting the job. We have a good rapport, but i try not to get involve with whatever is going on. I only called him to encourage him. Now when i said problem, i did not mean he had any problem with Finidi, he seem to believe that there are those in the NFF who do not want him to get the job. Once again i delibrately did not press any further, but he was convinced that they don't want someone they cannot control. I left it there.

He is calm about the whole thing, he believes if he is destined to coach the SE no one will be able to stop him. When a man has that kind of approach to the issues facing him, i see someone already on top of situation. So i left it there.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

oloye wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:06 am

Bell

His time will come.
I dont know if he did, I saw the report so i gave him a call. I did not mention the report , just talked about the the whole saga of him not getting the job. We have a good rapport, but i try not to get involve with whatever is going on. I only called him to encourage him. Now when i said problem, i did not mean he had any problem with Finidi, he seem to believe that there are those in the NFF who do not want him to get the job. Once again i delibrately did not press any further, but he was convinced that they don't want someone they cannot control. I left it there.

He is calm about the whole thing, he believes if he is destined to coach the SE no one will be able to stop him. When a man has that kind of approach to the issues facing him, i see someone already on top of situation. So i left it there.
Thanks for the clarification. Those who don’t want him won’t be here forever.

A least we have another good local coach in the pipeline if Finidi doesn’t perform.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...I wish all these promising former SE players wanting to coach the national team go coach top club sides, anywhere, win something and make name, and be noticed.
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

The best Nigerian coaches are exactly people like Amuneke - aka "someone they cannot control" to do stupid stuff. If this is true, I think Amuneke may have been the better person for the job. Someone that can push back on NFF's excesses like Oliseh and Keshi. I do not see how someone an incompetent NFF can control will be better for our nation. All the best sha
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

Amuneke can be given the U20/23 Job, both categories have been stinking up the joint lately.
He gets to prove himself in an U-20 World Cup or the Olympics, both of which are World standard with good exposure and perfect for CV building.
He must not wait for the SE!
Peter Obi For President 2023
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

icee wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:40 pm The best Nigerian coaches are exactly people like Amuneke - aka "someone they cannot control" to do stupid stuff. If this is true, I think Amuneke may have been the better person for the job. Someone that can push back on NFF's excesses like Oliseh and Keshi. I do not see how someone an incompetent NFF can control will be better for our nation. All the best sha
But this is presuming Finidi is someone “they can control”, which I do not think is fair because it belittles him.
Amuneke might put his own rejection down to that, but it is still just speculation.
We shouldn’t be running with that kind of premise because by doing so we are already undermining Finidi.

I don’t think that’s right.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

oloye wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:06 am He is calm about the whole thing, he believes if he is destined to coach the SE no one will be able to stop him. When a man has that kind of approach to the issues facing him, i see someone already on top of situation. So i left it there.
I believe it would help if he should stop sitting around and get active again in the coaching arena. No employer in any field in today’s competitive world wants to see huge gaps in an applicant’s CV.

Amuneke is already 53yrs old and his last job was 4 years ago in Egypt and even that was for a mere four weeks.
Before that it was with the Tanzanian NT in 2019, five years ago. Not the greatest by any standards.

Time is going and there are fresh young Nigerian managers paying their dues, biding their time, getting their hands dirty and coming through with impressive results and the right attitude.

Like I’ve always said, Nigerians will always excel in any field they apply themselves. Coaching is only just playing catch up. That’s why Amuneke is for now, one of the ‘best’ we have on display.
That will not be the case for much longer. :idea:
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Damunk wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:15 pm
icee wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:40 pm The best Nigerian coaches are exactly people like Amuneke - aka "someone they cannot control" to do stupid stuff. If this is true, I think Amuneke may have been the better person for the job. Someone that can push back on NFF's excesses like Oliseh and Keshi. I do not see how someone an incompetent NFF can control will be better for our nation. All the best sha
But this is presuming Finidi is someone “they can control”, which I do not think is fair because it belittles him.
Amuneke might put his own rejection down to that, but it is still just speculation.
We shouldn’t be running with that kind of premise because by doing so we are already undermining Finidi.

I don’t think that’s right.

AGRREING WITH YOU

Just because Amunike disagrees with the NFF doesn't make him right - I'm not saying he does but it is conceivable he also finds it difficult to work with competent and well meaning people.

Also, just because George is allegedly able to work with them does not necessarily mean he's caving in - there are ways to handle a snake so it doesn't bite you. Some people know what fights to pick.
Bell
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

mcal wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:22 pm ...I wish all these promising former SE players wanting to coach the national team go coach top club sides, anywhere, win something and make name, and be noticed.

I think the issue is for them to invest in themselves. Does not have to necessarily be a top club. But most of them have had careers in big clubs, and these clubs ALWAYS open doors to their ex players. Go in there, see how the modern game is being managed and them marry these with your own ideas...

Finidi used this to build himself. Now we get to see what he's made of it all...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Babalawo wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:15 pm Amuneke can be given the U20/23 Job, both categories have been stinking up the joint lately.
He gets to prove himself in an U-20 World Cup or the Olympics, both of which are World standard with good exposure and perfect for CV building.
Good points. I hope those boys in NFF are thinking.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:50 pm
Babalawo wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:15 pm Amuneke can be given the U20/23 Job, both categories have been stinking up the joint lately.
Good points. I hope those boys in NFF are thinking.
To be honest, even coaching the women’s NT is better than just sitting around waiting.
Yes, some people might believe it is beneath them, but truly, what is the tactical difference between the male and female game?
Nothing in my view.
Somebody please correct me if they can.
I’m open.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Are you sure they wont be there? Eguavoen has been there forever.
Lolly wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:30 am

Bell

His time will come.

Thanks for the clarification. Those who don’t want him won’t be here forever.

A least we have another good local coach in the pipeline if Finidi doesn’t perform.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Bell

His time will come.
To do what? Are you guys NOT tired of E mi lo kan? Who cursed you people? There is no such thing as anyone's time! Nigeria is NOT anyone's property. If he wants to coach the SE, let him go out there and get a dang job and work hard! Win league titles and prove himself. :oops: :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Can be given? That is how we hire for jobs now? We just give it out like handout to those waiting with their arms stretched out? I have repeated time without number that Nigerians are fantastically corrupt! No one can convince me otherwise. The same nonsense our government does, is the same thing that is ingrained in most Nigerians. Most of you -- if appointed to political office will "give" your friends jobs. You wont look at merit or determine whether the person has the pedegree, you will simply hand them the job! :oops: :oops: :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Bell

His time will come.

Uncle, good afternoon and welcome back!

This is NOT his destiny. No one has destiny over our team and our country. Let him go out there and work hard!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

My grand mother is also someone who cannot be controlled and pushed around! She is well known to have woman-handled people who dared! Would she also make a good SE coach?

TUEHH!!!! who cursed you people?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

danfo driver wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:20 pm
Can be given? That is how we hire for jobs now? We just give it out like handout to those waiting with their arms stretched out? I have repeated time without number that Nigerians are fantastically corrupt! No one can convince me otherwise. The same nonsense our government does, is the same thing that is ingrained in most Nigerians. Most of you -- if appointed to political office will "give" your friends jobs. You wont look at merit or determine whether the person has the pedegree, you will simply hand them the job! :oops: :oops: :oops:
You get mouth to talk. All the academic degrees and professional jobs you have ever held were as a result of Affirmative Action. Shut it. :laugh:

Wha choo looking at?!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

He shouldn't be given anything.

He should EARN IT!

First thing is to get an agent that will help him land a coaching job.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!