2006 WC Qualifiers [Africa] - Round 7

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

tfco
Eagle
Eagle
2006 WC Qualifiers [Africa] - Round 7

Post by tfco »

[A bit late with this, but I just couldn't remember my ID for this forum. Anyway, here is my review on this past weekend's action in the African footballing world. Thoughts, comments appreciated]

Group 1 [Togo (16), Senegal (14), Zambia (13), Congo (7), Mali (5), Liberia (4)]
Togo [4 - 1] Zambia
Congo [0 - 0] Senegal
Mali [4 - 1] Liberia

Togo is leading a group; holy!! I had predicted the group to finish Senegal--Mali--Zambia. Former Nigerian great Stephan Keshi is doing well in his coaching stint with the Hawks. AS Monaco striker Emmanuel Adebayor scored a brace, and goals from Sherif Toure (as far as I know, this guy does not have a club cause I read somewhere he failed a tryout for an MLS team) and Abdel Coubadja (Sochaux) secured maximum points for the home side. Togo is lacking in midfield, and coach Keshi needs to sort that out, as the Zambians were in control of that part of the game. Gift Kampamba (I love your name, man) was on target for the visitors. I'm not so sure who Kalusha Bwalya selected to represent Zambia, as he's fond of rotating his foreign-based players, due to lack of travel funds. Togo could very well be the surprise of this WCQ group, as they play Senegal away and then face Liberia and Congo in their final matches. They are definitely in the Nations Cup next year in Egypt, and it's possible that they could squeeze their way to Germany, especially with Senegal drawing to lowly Congo. That would make Stephen Keshi CAF coach of the year 2005, period.
Mali have finally won a game but it's too little too late for one of the big disappointments of this qualifying group. They finished fourth at the last ANC!!! Also, it looks like the spineless idiots at CAF did nothing to the Malian FA after their last game v Togo when the game had to be abandoned due to fans storming the field and shots being fired, after the Togolese came from behind to win 2-1 <deep breath>. This group is wide open.
My prediction - Senegal

Group 2 [South Africa (15), DR Congo (12), Cape Verde (10), Ghana (12), Burkina Faso (6), Uganda (4)]
Cape Verde [1 - 2] South Africa
DR Congo [4 - 0] Uganda
Ghana [2 - 1] Burkina Faso

After all the fussing about Cape Verde, then this; they lose to Bafana x2, at home to boot! A win would have secured them top spot in this group. As it stands, they have two away games v DR Congo and Uganda, before playing the mighty (!!) Black Stars in the final game, a game which may be of no consequence. Bafana controlled the pace of the game and had secured victory in the first half through Benni McCarthy (Porto) and Delron Buckley (Armenia Bielefeld). Bafana *always* play better away from home, why is that? The hosts pulled one back in the latter stages through Cafu (not the one you're thinking of). SA are hosting the WC in 2010 and right now, it looks like they are also going to Germany, unless Ghana can pull something extraordinary on June 18 when we face them in Jo'burg. Good thing is Benni McCarthy will not feature due to suspension. Ghana always seem to perform better when we play in Kumasi . We were missing Emmanuel Kuffour and Michael Essien; the latter apparently had an injury (read: I want to play for Chelsea next season and I need to be fully fit for my physical). The Burkinabe's scored first through Moumouni Dagano (Guingamp - Ligue 2...a second div player scored against us!!!!) and at half, I started going through the possible list of coaches Ghana FA would be contacting after the game. Suffice to say the BS pulled through with goals from our skipper, Stephen Appiah (Juventus bench) and Matthew Amoah (Vitesse Arnheim) who opened his Black Stars goal scoring account. Ghana is one striker short of greatness, as we always seem to eke out a goal here and another there. I can just see us beating SA, drawing with Uganda, and then losing to Cape Verde, gifting the South Africans their ticket to Germany 2006.

DR Congo play that fast free flowing football associated with the Maghreb countries and today they showed they can also score. Almost a year to the day, they lost 1-0 to Uganda; this time they punished the visitors with a four goal rout courtesy of former Ligue 1 top scorer Shabani Nonda (Monaco) and Ngasanya Ilongo, each scoring a brace.
My prediction - South Africa

Group 3 [Cote d'Ivoire (16), Cameroon (14), Egypt (13), Libya (11), Benin (2), Sudan (2)]
Libya [0 - 0] Cote d'Ivoire
Benin [1 - 4] Cameroon
Egypt [6 - 1] Sudan

Somebody pass me the humble pie, as it looks like Cameroon are catching up to Les Elephants quickly. Of course, they won't catch the Ivorians, but it will be an interesting race to the wire. The Ivorians went to Tripoli and were held to a goalless draw by a Libyan team playing for a point. Les Elephants certainly had their chances with Drogba missing three chances in the space of fifteen minutes, man this guy couldn't even score in a whore house. The Ivorians host Egypt in a fortnight in a must win game for both sides and it should be a tense affair. Cameroon bounced back from their disappointing showing against Sudan by whipping Benin away from home. Rigobert was on Song for the visitors' opener and goals from Achille Webo (Osasuna) , Geremi (Chelsea bench), and Eto'o (Barca) ensured that this group still remains open (yeah, right). Fact: Rigobert has scored in both games v Benin. The Beninois had a chance to equalise after Song's goal but their penalty was stopped by Souleymanou Hamidou (hey, where's Kameni). Coffi Agbesi's beautifully taken free-kick with ten minutes to go restored some pride for the home side but it's all over for Benin. So now, Cote d'Ivoire get the difficult games (Egypt, IL) at home and the easy game (Sudan) away. Stade Houphouet-Boigny will be a cauldron for those two home games.

The Pharoahs came up hard on everybody's whipping boy with a six goal thrashing of Sudan. So what, they are hosting the ANC next year and this will be good practice for the Egyptians. They have two very difficult games coming up against Cote d'Ivoire and Cameroon, and a third v Benin in the middle of those two sure losses :-)
My prediction - Cote d'Ivoire

Group 4 [Nigeria (14), Angola (14), Zim (11), Gabon (6), Algeria (6), Rwanda (5)]
Zimbabwe [1 - 0] Gabon
Angola [2 - 1] Algeria
Rwanda [1 - 1] Nigeria

Nigeria just want to make things interesting so they're toying with the other teams. It surely would have been interesting if Rwanda had beaten the weakened side the Super Eagles fielded, without regulars Jay Jay and Yaks, the latter not even giving a reason for his absence. The home side controlled the first half in a very aggressive game with several fouls. Their efforts were rewarded 15 minutes into the second half with a goal from #10 Jean Gatete. Shock!!! Fire CCC. Well, not quite, as Nigerian blushes were saved by Oba Martins (the other Milan team) at the death. The Super Eagles still lead the group and have three easy games v Angola (h), Algeria (a) and Zim (h). They'll walk it to Germany. Thing is, who will Christian Chukwu take to Germany? Will he stick with the old guns (Kanu, Okocha, Enyeama) or phase in the young ones?
My other disappointment, Algeria lived up to their reputation by losing to Angola. So now they have won only one game. What is really up with Algerian football? Shame really, as they have always been a North African powerhouse. Angola on the other hand, are performing beyond expectations and with the return of their veteran striker Fabrice Akwa from suspension, were able to play a better game than they did v Zim. Goals on either side of the half through Amado Flavio and aforementioned Akwa secured max points for the home side.

I am surprised Benji Mwaruwari was not playing for Zimbabwe, considering he had just helped Auxerre win the French League Cup. Oh well, they beat the visiting Gabonese on a dubious penalty kick (like that's a surprise in African football) taken by Peter Ndlovu. The Zim's should be able to make it to Egypt 2006 if they can get past Algeria (a) and defeat Rwanda at hoe. Their final game v the Super Eagles will be a toughie.
My prediction - Nigeria

Group 5 [Morocco (15), Tunisia (11), Guinea (11), Kenya (9), Botswana (6), Malawi (3)]
Botswana [1 - 3] Tunisia
Morocco [4 - 1] Malawi
Guinea [1 - 0] Kenya

The messed up group. Tunisia and Kenya have 1 less game than everyone else. So even if Tunisia beats Kenya they will still trail Morocco. So who is talking about Morocco; no one, yet they are they only undefeated team in World Cup qualifying. With upcoming games v Kenya and Botswana, the Atlas Lions may just remain unbeaten, well, until they face Tunisia in the final match on October 8th. This will be a rematch of the ANC 2002 final in Tunis which the home side triumphed. I really wanna watch this match.

Tunisia travelled to Gaborone and thumped their hosts, after falling behind early through a Mogogi Gabonamong goal after a defensive mix-up. By half-time, the Tunisians had exerted their superiority with goals from Mehdi Nafti (Birmingham) and Brazilian reject Dos Santos (Sochaux). The reigning African champs sealed the deal through Wissem El Abdi from a Nafti free kick. Tunisia have a soft sched, as they face Guinea then a home/away series with Kenya and then the biggie v Morocco. This was their first away win btw.

So now Malawi have conceded 11 goals in 2 games, whoa, well, it's not like football is their forte, unlike Ghana . After their massacre in Tunisia where they took seven from the net, they went to Morocco, who were not much kinder. The Malawians scored first, surprisingly through Emmanuel Chipatala (Bakili Bullets). Their lead lasted all of five minutes before goals from Youssef Safri (Norwich), Youssef Hadji (Bastia) and Hocine Kharja gave the home side the necessary 3 points. The Flames arrived in Rabat ten days before the game with a 13-man squad and having travelled through Libya for a tune up before facing Morocco with only 2 bench players. Disorganised or what!

Guinea beat Kenya as expected
My prediction - Tunisia

Leading goal scorers
Denis Oliech (6) - Kenya
Diphetego Selolwane (5) - Botswana
Aruna Dindane (5) - Cote d'Ivoire
Didier Drogba (5) - Cote d'Ivoire
Dos Santos (5) - Tunisia
Emmanuel Adebayor (5) - Togo
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

v. good
lowzeewee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by lowzeewee »

Excellent analysis. Great first post, keep it up!
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

Who on earth were you in your former CE life...your writing is so familiar and similar to that of one of our revered members who used to provide us with European updates on our players..

Good analysis..
"Because of Jesus, it's a glorious life...."
mke1010
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mke1010 »

I am not quite sure on your analysis of Nigeria's group. First of all, Enyeama is not a member of the old brigade as you seemed to suggest by lumping him in with Kanu and Okocha. He is actually one of our younger players and one for the future to boot. Also, you are off mark in suggesting Nigeria will stroll in to Germany. Far from point. You should know that aside from the Zimbabwe mauling, Nigeria has struggled in every single away match. Algeria always plays Nigeria tough and pending the attitude of our players and management at the time, that away match may prove extremely difficult for us.

I think after the Angola match things will become clearer. As things stand Angola have a much easier schedule than Nigeria from here on out. If Nigeria beats Angola this month then Super Eagles control their own destiny and in all liklihood will be in Germany. If Angola manages to do the impossible and pull a draw in Kano all bets are off. I for one, am simply nervous. Nigeria really needed this Rwanda match but chose to take it for granted. Any Nigerian soccer fan will tell you that we are not breathing easy right now. Thanks for your write up though.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

I don't know who you are/were...
But that was a great review. Thanks.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Thanks for the comps guys. Actually I confused this site with kickoff. Well, it's nice to join this forum, which appears very vibant with football talk.

Regarding the WCQ, I feel it will be a stroll in the park for the SE. Would be nice to see you guys go to Germany; hopefully this time the team will do a much better job than the output in the Far East.
As for Angola, I am quite surprised; I guess there are no more minnows in African football, except Mali and Algeria :D

All the best.

Kwame
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by original skeepolah »

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumbs:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
cyrilndo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cyrilndo »

original skeepolah wrote::thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumbs:
I don`t see your point for bringing this up but i did have a good laugh, if that was the point then I join in the laughter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
" The best way to have a fair judgement on anything is to imagine yourself sitting somewhere in space watching planet earth with the beings that inhabit it, especially those who call themselves homo sapiens. You have no nationality or tribe, you are not a fan of Arsenal, Barca, Inter Milan, Manchester United etc. You won't see a booty or huge boobs if they walk pass you. Money is like tissue to you. what is your opinion? "

This post has been made by camex whom I have ignored.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

tfco wrote:Thanks for the comps guys. Actually I confused this site with kickoff. Well, it's nice to join this forum, which appears very vibant with football talk.

Regarding the WCQ, I feel it will be a stroll in the park for the SE. Would be nice to see you guys go to Germany; hopefully this time the team will do a much better job than the output in the Far East.
As for Angola, I am quite surprised; I guess there are no more minnows in African football, except Mali and Algeria :D

All the best.

Kwame
:shock: :shock: :shock:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
NaijaGeisha
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by NaijaGeisha »

paj wrote:
tfco wrote:Thanks for the comps guys. Actually I confused this site with kickoff. Well, it's nice to join this forum, which appears very vibant with football talk.

All the best.

Kwame
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The greatest weapon anyone can use against us is our mind by preying on the doubts and uncertainties that already lurk there" -Emily Thorne (Rvenge)
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

paj wrote:

All the best.

Kwame
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: see as thiefco behave like human being when im come. Now im just dey roam like cockroach wiff im red biro :evil:
NaijaGeisha
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by NaijaGeisha »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kwame :lol: :lol:
"The greatest weapon anyone can use against us is our mind by preying on the doubts and uncertainties that already lurk there" -Emily Thorne (Rvenge)