10 factors that favour Nigeria in Tunisia 2004

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
10 factors that favour Nigeria in Tunisia 2004

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

(1) Nigeria have never lost an ANC quarter final
(2) In 1994, it was the quarter final that was Nigeria's most difficult game. Once they won that match, the trophy was all but won
(3) Come Sunday, I just believe the Cameroonian defence is too weak to withstand the Nigerian onslaught.
(4) Apart from being vulnerable to the ariel ball over the top, Mettomo and Song are too slow to cope with the pace of Utaka and Aghahowa
(5) Have you guys noticed that all the Cameroonian bragging and arrogance before the competition started about winning three titles in a row has suddenly stopped
(6) Cameroon has never beaten Nigeria outside an ANC final before. of the two teams, the Indomitable Lions are the ones most upset that this clash is taking place in the quarter finals and not the final itself.
(7) I do not believe that even Eric Djemba-Djemba's most avid fan really believes that he wil be able to cope with JJ
(8) JJ is on such a high at the moment, everything he touches turns to gold. I just cannot see him not receiving the trophy come February 14.
(9) No one has told me how Cameroon can score if Djemba-Djemba and Mbami are pinned back and Geremi is man marked. Please do not mention that Iddrissou will provide crosses for Mboma. The Hansa Rostok man does not even know the meaning of the word.
(10) After the quarter finals, I cannot see any team being able to withstand a ressurgent Eagles.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Ayo Akinfe,

Cameroun doesn't really scare as a team if the right tactics and formation are well planned they are not hard to beat. Mboma remains a very key player for them and not to overlook Eto'o also even though he hasn't scored yet but you never know... This two guys need to be marked out completely and you will see Song overlap from his position as an act of desperation to score when the going gets tough.

Mboma doesn't have that speed anymore as he is reaching the latter stages of his career but one thing about him which he does well is he is a goal poacher and he plays this role very well.. If he is allowed to roam free and the SE defence goes to sleep for a min or two he will punish them.. he needs to be kept an eye on...
Last edited by MI5 on Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

MI5 wrote:Ayo Akinfe,

Cameroun doesn't really is a team if the right tactics and formation are well planned they are not hard to beat. Mboma remains a very key player for them and not to overlook Eto'o also even though he hasn't scored yet but you never know... This two guys need to be marked out completely and you will see Song overlap from his position as an act of desperation to score when the going gets tough.

Mboma doesn't have that speed anymore as he is reaching the latter stages of his career but one thing about him which he does well is he is a goal poacher and he plays this role very well.. If he is allowed to roam free and the SE defence goes to sleep for a min or two he will punish them.. he need to be kept an eye on...
You are right. Westerhoff would have spanked this Cameroonian team 4-0 without even breaking sweat. It is now time for JJ to assume the role of organiser.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

You seem to blow like the wind. Are oyu not the same person who claimed noone else should turn up and the trophy be handed to Camerron. Now the CCC and the boys are exposing ya yansh, you dey come hia open mouth with ten pointer as to why we have the trophy won.

Abeg no use ya bad mouth spoil we chance. Ma chio nu.
To stop trying is to start dying
cyrilndo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cyrilndo »

Cameroun doesn't really is a team if the right tactics and formation are well planned they are not hard to beat. n...

You can beat any team if you find the right tactics.
I hope Chuku and co have found the tactics but remember Cameroon W. Schäffer has been changing tactics as the game goes on. If Nigeria will cope find.

As Mboma said History means nothing to the game on Sunday.

It is 11 vs 11.
Let th real Nigerian stand up if they are great .
It is a chance for them to prove me a die heart supporter of the Lions when we meet the eagles that Cameroon is above them.

At times I am afraid it can end for Cameroon 4 Nigeria 1.

What a shame that will be.
Torontoeagle where are you?
" The best way to have a fair judgement on anything is to imagine yourself sitting somewhere in space watching planet earth with the beings that inhabit it, especially those who call themselves homo sapiens. You have no nationality or tribe, you are not a fan of Arsenal, Barca, Inter Milan, Manchester United etc. You won't see a booty or huge boobs if they walk pass you. Money is like tissue to you. what is your opinion? "

This post has been made by camex whom I have ignored.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Ayo, my brother, do you actually think that Cameroon's defense is weak? :lol:

cyrilndo wrote:

Cameroun doesn't really is a team if the right tactics and formation are well planned they are not hard to beat. n...

I hope Chuku and co have found the tactics but remember Cameroon W. Schäffer has been changing tactics as the game goes on. If Nigeria will cope find.

It is 11 vs 11.
It is a chance for them to prove me a die heart supporter of the Lions when we meet the eagles that Cameroon is above them.

MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

The Lions are a okay but watching them over the years i've seen a decline in their games and no improvement in their matches. Apart from ANC 2000 where they had a nice run except for the game against Algeria who they beat 2-1 who i felt exposed them but they recovered to beat Tunisia 3-0 in the semi's... ANC 2000

If it wasn't for Mboma in a lot matches they've played in i wonder where their goals would be coming from. As much as Eto'o runs all over the place he is not a factor but he can keep defenders busy for 90mins which he does very well with his pace. The Irish exposed Cameroun in WC'02 second half when Mick McCarthy threw Damien Duff and Robbie Keane at them in the second half and the Lions were lucky to escape the match with a draw. I've noticed how the two Irish players with support from Matt Holland and others were keeping the Lions busy for a whole 45mins and even Geremi had to go back and defend which the Irish nulified by throwing speed and quickness at them. If it wasn't for Mboma's first half goal they would have lost by at least 2-0.

I saw how the Saudi's playing with pride after losing to the Germans 8-0 exposed their center backs Song and Kalla again with nice and deft touches and it took a goal from Eto'o to save the day. The last game against the Germans finally put the nail in the coffin. Germans down 10-men went up 2-0 against 11-man Cameroun by again exploiting Song and Kalla at the back wow the trend continues and the Lions gave up from there...

One thing i've noticed is Cameroun play very well when they play a bunker like tactics meaning they play very compact in defence and the midfield comes in to help but you have to isolate them in a one-on-one situation and have even someone like Ikedia if he can handle it take Song on deep inside their box which normally put Song under pressure all the time. similar to what Lupela from Zimbabwe did to Song throughout..

Algeria, Zimbabwe and even Egypt showed Cameroun have some weaknesses but hmm with CCC at the helm does he know this?

Quickness, speed, opening up their defence by forcing their defence to open up will be the key... The Lions will not go down easily knowing a loss and it's all over

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Cameroun doesn't really scare me as a team if the right tactics and formation are well planned they are not hard to beat. Mboma remains a very key player for them and not to overlook Eto'o also even though he hasn't scored yet but you never know... This two guys need to be marked out completely and you will see Song overlap from his position as an act of desperation to score when the going gets tough.

Mboma doesn't have that speed anymore as he is reaching the latter stages of his career but one thing about him which he does well is he is a goal poacher and he plays this role very well.. If he is allowed to roam free and the SE defence goes to sleep for a min or two he will punish them.. he need to be kept an eye on...
You are right. Westerhoff would have spanked this Cameroonian team 4-0 without even breaking sweat. It is now time for JJ to assume the role of organiser.
Last edited by MI5 on Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
Eclipse
Egg
Egg

Post by Eclipse »

Yujam,

This isn't about Ayo and his ten pointers, because mettomo and song lack pace, I can see the camerounian midfield dropping back to provide cover for those two which means they will play on the defence and hope to nick it on the break going forward.

Playing an attacking game against naija is asking for trouble in my opinion.

To be the man, you must beat the man "Nature Boy" Ric flair
only the super eagles of nigeria are capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory-total football magazine circa june 02'
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Mi5:
CCC is going to fumble though and I'll tell you why. The mental midget - though he claims to have scouted Cameroon properly - will undoubtedly field and unchanged line-up, which means Okocha and Seyi in the middle up against Djemba Djemba, Mbami and Olember/Makoun. Since Cameroon relies on the quick swarming defense in midfield, followed by a quick release to the flanks or up top to Etoo and Mboma, I see Seyi being completely overwhelmed in midfield. Oga will not fare much better either. As such, I see the midfield battle going to them.

Additionally, I hope he does not decide to play Okoronkwo against Etoo and Mboma against Yobo. I have not doubts that if this happens Etoo will leave Okoronkwo in the dust all afternoon.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Cyrilndo,

Yes you right i expect Cameroun to make changes and be prepared also because they know it not just any game and knowing what is at stake but hey winner takes all....

cyrilndo wrote:

It is 11 vs 11.

Soldier of Fortune...
leftee
Egg
Egg

Post by leftee »

We shall see Yujam
"If You Need a Helping Hand, You'll Find One at the End of Your Arm"
Makanaky
Egg
Egg
Re: 10 factors that favour Nigeria in Tunisia 2004

Post by Makanaky »

Ayo we ought to be thankful at least you didn't call your piece a 10 point plan. :lol:
For the record all this speculation is not going to help the super eagles on Sunday, not even a prayer is going to help you.
Ayo Akinfe wrote:(1) Nigeria have never lost an ANC quarter final
(2) In 1994, it was the quarter final that was Nigeria's most difficult game. Once they won that match, the trophy was all but won
(3) Come Sunday, I just believe the Cameroonian defence is too weak to withstand the Nigerian onslaught.
(4) Apart from being vulnerable to the ariel ball over the top, Mettomo and Song are too slow to cope with the pace of Utaka and Aghahowa
(5) Have you guys noticed that all the Cameroonian bragging and arrogance before the competition started about winning three titles in a row has suddenly stopped
(6) Cameroon has never beaten Nigeria outside an ANC final before. of the two teams, the Indomitable Lions are the ones most upset that this clash is taking place in the quarter finals and not the final itself.
(7) I do not believe that even Eric Djemba-Djemba's most avid fan really believes that he wil be able to cope with JJ
(8) JJ is on such a high at the moment, everything he touches turns to gold. I just cannot see him not receiving the trophy come February 14.
(9) No one has told me how Cameroon can score if Djemba-Djemba and Mbami are pinned back and Geremi is man marked. Please do not mention that Iddrissou will provide crosses for Mboma. The Hansa Rostok man does not even know the meaning of the word.
(10) After the quarter finals, I cannot see any team being able to withstand a ressurgent Eagles.
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Yujam,

If the SE wins this all credit will go to the players and assistant coaches as i see CCC as being a non factor in this game. Yes i expect the Lions to make changes and also the players both sides to make adjustments, caution and see who makes the first mistake first before they go all out. Okocha/Seyi midfield combo continues to be a mistake as it should be a midfield combo of Seyi/Ekwueme or Seyi/Lawal combo because of their energy, hussle, fight, determination and non stop action for 90mins might be crucial for SE. JJ should be allowed to roam free and dictate the pace of the game which will put the Lions under pressure.. Infact the French formation 4-3-1-2 will be good for us to play in.

If Seyi alone plays in the middle God help us... lawal might be the key player here for SE because of being able to stretch the Lions on the left side which we failed to do in ANC 2000....

YUJAM wrote:Mi5:
CCC is going to fumble though and I'll tell you why. The mental midget - though he claims to have scouted Cameroon properly - will undoubtedly field and unchanged line-up, which means Okocha and Seyi in the middle up against Djemba Djemba, Mbami and Olember/Makoun. Since Cameroon relies on the quick swarming defense in midfield, followed by a quick release to the flanks or up top to Etoo and Mboma, I see Seyi being completely overwhelmed in midfield. Oga will not fare much better either. As such, I see the midfield battle going to them.

Additionally, I hope he does not decide to play Okoronkwo against Etoo and Mboma against Yobo. I have not doubts that if this happens Etoo will leave Okoronkwo in the dust all afternoon.
Soldier of Fortune...
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

Makanaky wrote:Ayo we ought to be thankful at least you didn't call your piece a 10 point plan. :lol:
For the record all this speculation is not going to help the super eagles on Sunday, not even a prayer is going to help you.
My dear, On Sunday is just getting closer by seconds, we shall see when we get there and I pray you come back immediately to congratulate the Eagles and shift your supports to them too.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Mi5:
This is my big fear. I have no issue with Seyi in midfield but he needs serious help in this one. Garba Lawal will already have his hands full dealing with Doube and Geremi.
MI5 wrote:Yujam,

If the SE wins this all credit will go to the players and assistant coaches as i see CCC as being a non factor in this game. Yes i expect the Lions to make changes and also the players both sides to make adjustments, caution and see who makes the first mistake first before they go all out. Okocha/Seyi midfield combo continues to be a mistake as it should be a midfield combo of Seyi/Ekwueme or Seyi/Lawal combo because of their energy, hussle, fight, determination and non stop action for 90mins might be crucial for SE. JJ should be allowed to roam free and dictate the pace of the game which will put the Lions under pressure.. Infact the French formation 4-3-1-2 will be good for us to play in.

If Seyi alone plays in the middle God help us... lawal might be the key player here for SE because of being able to stretch the Lions on the left side which we failed to do in ANC 2000....

Makanaky
Egg
Egg

Post by Makanaky »

VINDAVE wrote:
Makanaky wrote:Ayo we ought to be thankful at least you didn't call your piece a 10 point plan. :lol:
My dear, On Sunday is just getting closer by seconds, we shall see when we get there and I pray you come back immediately to congratulate the Eagles and shift your supports to them too.
VINDAVE if by some miracle the impossible happens i will be supporting the winner of the Mali/Guinea match for the rest of the tournament. 8)
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Yujam, it's going to Yobo against Etoo whilst Okoronkwo takes care of Mboma.
Lawal will be helping Seyi in midfield and Cameroun's back four will not be able to cope with whatever strikers Chukwu uses which means Djemba Djemba and co will spend most of their time covering for Song.
Nigeria's problems have generally stemmed from a lack of urgency and by all accounts they are focused on this one.
Despite your lack of respect for our coach please remember that even a half blind squirrel will occasionally find a nut.
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

Bia, all these crap about Nigeria having never lost in the Quarter finals of ANC isn't true.
I was reliably informed that Nigeria has lost, once, in the quarter final stages of the ANC. That was (I think '82 championship) hosted by Libya. We lost to Zambia in Tripoli.

EII and Oga Gotti can confirm this info
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Yujam,

Yes our midfield needs to be tight and i mean extra tight. We need workrate, ball husslers, high energy players and guys who can also complement the defence when we lose possession to provide cover and support. If CCC knows what he is doing i doubt he doesn't i would give Yobo and Issac a free role at the central defence position kind of like having two sweepers at the back to snuff out and clear anything that comes to the box and make Udeze and Abbey play their position well to hold or contain any attack from them. But knowing Udeze and how he plays with no one telling him he will go forward, forget to come back and put the defence under pressure..

We just need players who can read the game which is something we've always lacked in our game and among our players, if they van see things, pick up situations before it occurs, anticipate a buildup, anticipate an attack snuff those early crosses before it reaches the area SE will be fine... Plus since CCC can't read the game as it's going on to make adjustments and changes as the game goes on JJ will have to be the field general.

This is my big fear. I have no issue with Seyi in midfield but he needs serious help in this one. Garba Lawal will already have his hands full dealing with Doube and Geremi.
MI5 wrote:Yujam,

Soldier of Fortune...
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Yujam,

In my view, it will be 4-4-2 on both side although we have Seyi sitting in front of our back 4 and Okocha ahead, which is the diamond shape England now play. Udeze/Lawal and Geremi/Ndoube will cancel themselves out on the right side and Utaka/Abbey and Atouba/Tchato will cancel themselves out on the left. So, in the middle, there is Seyi/JJ against Mbami/Djemba. Upfront for us, it will be Kanu/Aghahowa against Song/Mettomo and upfront for Cameroon it will be Mboma/Etoo against Okoronkwo/Yobo. Where are the weak points? If Yobo sleeps, we are in trouble. Aghahowa is far quicker than Mettomo and Song put together. Also JJ is busy enough to command the attention of Djemba and Mbami.

I won't be surprised if Cameroon play defensive and counter attack every now and then because our offensive threat ie Kanu, JJ, Utaka and Aghahowa is far greater than theirs.
mlkama
Egg
Egg

Post by mlkama »

Ayo,

1 - So what if Nigeria have never lost a QF. It is like saying you have rarely beaten us. Sunday will be another day, and the past will be just that. The past.

2 - Nonsense.

3 - Ok, we will see about that defense as per your belief.

4 - Is that not the same as no. 3? Don't you know how to count?

5 - I see Makanaky the one man bad terrorising you all here. I see no need to boast though. I am happy to wait for the results.

6 - Again, so what if we have never beaten you outside the final. How many times have we played? And how many times have you beaten us? We are rightly upset because Nigeria should have won their group, and we certainly have respect for Nigeria, not fear.

7 - Djemba is also named twice like JJ. Even if JJ won that duel, that might be the only duel a SE wins on that pitch.

8 - Ayo, one step at a time. Even if you beat Cameroon, Senegal will be next, and they are no pushover.

9 - What makes you think Idrissou will play. Remember Atouba?

10 - Like I said, one step at a time.

Best of Luck....

Ayo Akinfe wrote:(1) Nigeria have never lost an ANC quarter final
Waffiman wrote: PS: Milla couldn't hold a candle to Manga Onguene or Theophile "Docteur" Abega .
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

Who is gonna take care of Cameroun's juju men that are gonna camp on the pitch. We really need serious prayers on this one. There are powers of darkness, believe it or not.

I wish I were there to take care of those satanic forces, but nothing spoil, I'll be praying in my room. Thank God it's on Sunday so there's no work for me. Cameroun is in trouble....all your juju priests would fail you this time around. Mark my words.
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Cyber Saint wrote:Bia, all these crap about Nigeria having never lost in the Quarter finals of ANC isn't true.
I was reliably informed that Nigeria has lost, once, in the quarter final stages of the ANC. That was (I think '82 championship) hosted by Libya. We lost to Zambia in Tripoli.

EII and Oga Gotti can confirm this info
Nigeria did not play in the quarter-final stage of the ANC 82.
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/