JULIUS AGHAHOWA: TAKING A BREAK FROM SUPER-EAGLES!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Eaglet
Eaglet
JULIUS AGHAHOWA: TAKING A BREAK FROM SUPER-EAGLES!

Post by GUEST »

Aghahowa quits Eagles

By Ben Alaiya--DAILY-INDEPENDENT

Sports Editor

Pacy Super Eagles striker Julius Aghahowa says he has decided to take a break from the national team to enable him concentrate on his club career and treat himself properly from the knocks he received at the Mali 2002 Nations Cup.

Daily Independent exclusively reported last week that contrary to what the public was fed by the NFA and the coaching crew, the Shaktar Doneskt star was actually fit for the crucial semi-final duel against the Carthage Eagles of Tunisia but disagreement between him and Coach Christian Chukwu made him to opt out of the encounter.

The latest decision by the player is seen as a tacit confirmation of the widening gulf between the coaching crew and a section of the players who feel that Chukwu favours players from his part of the country to the detriment of team play and unity in the squad.

Aghahowa who confirmed his temporary exit from all activities of the national team on a Brila FM programme Monday morning in Lagos said, he wants to concentrate on his club career and pay the management of the team for all the confidence they have reposed in him. The implication of this, he said, is that he may not be available for the World Cup qualifiers which starts in June. He also confirmed that he would honour the five-year deal he has entered into with Shaktar, instead of jumping at offers when the transfer window opens, noting that in that way he would turn out a more professional player.

“I will return later to the national team but for now I need to concentrate on my professional career and show the world that I can still be a good striker”, he said.
Mudi E
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mudi E »

Which one be all these sef? He wouldn't play against Tunisia because he had a squabble with Chukwu? Talk about selfishness. His interest is better than that of 110 million Nigerians counting on him to deliver.
Nigeria shall wallop the dormitable lions
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

JULIUS AGHAHOWA: TAKEN A BRAKE FROM SUPER-EAGLES!

Did he also take the accelerator?
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

Pacy Super Eagles striker Julius Aghahowa says he has decided to take a break from the national team to enable him concentrate on his club career and treat himself properly from the knocks he received at the Mali 2002 Nations Cup.

was the knocks received from the just concluded nations cup or Mali 2002... i can't believe this.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

He might just find that when he is ready to return, there might not be a space for him.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

27 wrote:

27 - Na only that one you see. What about taken. Either these people no go school or dem no get editor. They should be made to read their dictionaries for at least 30 minutes a day.
To stop trying is to start dying
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Dodo wrote:He might just find that when he is ready to return, there might not be a space for him.
Good point.
who no know go know.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Nice one JAG and goodluck and we go see you soon.... To all those hating make una no worry when the time comes una go dey call for JAG to come back...Stay tuned....
Soldier of Fortune...
Fourteen
Egg
Egg

Post by Fourteen »

So if all our players decide to take a "brake" during qualifiers, how do we qualify?

And if we do qualify, is it fair on the players that helped us qualify if they are dropped for all these prima-donna wannabes? :evil:
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

It happened when it was time to select players for the ANC 2004... Hahahahaha Naija style selection... :lol:

Lefak wrote:So if all our players decide to take a "brake" during qualifiers, how do we qualify?

And if we do qualify, is it fair on the players that helped us qualify if they are dropped for all these prima-donna wannabes? :evil:
Soldier of Fortune...
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

he needs it, so that he can rediscover his form. Somehow, I feel JAg hasnt been happy in the national team of recent. Did anyone notice his reaction after he scored against Algeria at Mali 2002?

I believe he's also not happy with our midfielders. There's a risk he may lose his place permanently, but I think he's a very good player and a very good club form can boost his confidence and he would be more devastating when re returns.
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Lefak wrote:So if all our players decide to take a "brake" during qualifiers, how do we qualify?

Majority of our star players took a "brake" during the qualifiers for Tunisia 04 and still played in the tournament.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

Shownoja wrote:
27 wrote:

27 - Na only that one you see. What about taken. Either these people no go school or dem no get editor. They should be made to read their dictionaries for at least 30 minutes a day.
abeg he should given us back our brake
Egg
Egg

Post by Fourteen »

So do we continue in the same vicious cycle, or where does it end?
1naija wrote:

Majority of our star players took a "brake" during the qualifiers for Tunisia 04 and still played in the tournament.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

JJ as team captain needs to have a word in Jags ear because he is known to be a bit temperamental. If there are issues still lingering from Tunisia, then they need to be ironed out.

He didn't have a good tournament and the tactics employed by CCC didn't help matters either. The emergence of Osaze further relegated him, breaking the myth that without Jag we can't score.

With just a few years left on his contract, I'm sure Jag is just looking to play himself out of the Ukraine.

Cheers
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Mr Shows,

I agree with you. JJ needs to give him a call.
You can control your choice, but not necessarily the consequences
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Was his beef with Chukwu the reason he refused to celebrate with Osaze when Osaze scored? Was his beef with Chukwu the reason he refused to dress for the Cameroun game? So because Chukwu refused to sub Kanu late in a game (Benin game) it is because they are from the same area (then he should indict ALL Eagus coaches for playing Kanu more minutes than we all think he deserves)... Meanwhile Osaze was subbed in for Kanu...promptly scores 2 goals...Is Osaze Igbo? Oh, I guess he wanted Utaka to be subbed? or is it JJ? Who other than Kanu did he want to be subbed in order to make him happy?

CCC subbing or lack there of has nathing to do with tribalism but incompetence...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

CELLULAR:
Why do you folks even bother with these stories (with the emphasis on "story") that emanate from the Ade Ojeikere School of Journalism?!

Aghahowa was the captain in Chukwu's first-ever game as the national team coach against Angola in Luanda, and has always been selected under Chukwu whenever fit and available. And of course, it was obvious to EVERYONE in Tunisia (but this reporter, who was probably not in Tunsia) that Aghahowa was unfit for the rigours of an ANC semi-final.
Gotti
Re: JULIUS AGHAHOWA: TAKEN A BRAKE FROM SUPER-EAGLES!

Post by Gotti »

Aghahowa quits Eagles
By Ben Alaiya--DAILY-INDEPENDENT
Sports Editor

..... He also confirmed that he would honour the five-year deal he has entered into with Shaktar, instead of jumping at offers when the transfer window opens, noting that in that way he would turn out a more professional player.
For whatever it is worth:
NewAge Online, Tuesday March 2, 2004
Aghahowa asks Shaktar Donetsk for transfer
By Akinwumi Ojo

Super Eagles striker Julius Aghahowa has resorted to begging the management of his Ukrainian club, Shaktar Donetsk to allow him leave the club at the end of the current season.

Aghahowa told NewAgeSports over the weekend that he took the decision to make entreaties to the club after several attempts by various European clubs to lure him from the club proved abortive.

He noted that he failed to enact his best form at the last African Nations Cup in Tunisia where he failed to score any goal for the Eagles because of the trauma his continued presence in Donetsk has done to him.

“There is no doubt that I feel sad that I could not really find the right rhythm in the Nations Cup because of what I am going through in my present club. I need to move to another club out of Ukraine to really return to my best’” he said.

Aghahowa who joined the Ukrainian club from Tunisian club, Esperance expressed bitterness at the continued apathy of Donetsk to his pleas to join another club, but expressed the hope that his wishes would be granted before the end of the current season.

“There is virtually nothing that I have not done to announce my resolve to move away from this club (Donetsk), but have not achieved the desired result, but I hope that the president of the club will concede to the recent pleas.

Aghahowa said Nigeria’s bronze winning effort in the recently concluded Nations Cup in Tunisia is commendable as it afforded the country the opportunity to discover several new players, but warned that it will be disastrous if the country fails to win the cup in the next edition of the competition in Egypt 2006.

“We tried our best considering the precarious situation that we found ourselves during the competition. We however must win the next competition as Nigerians would not want to place second or third after this edition of the Nations Cup,” he said.

He commended the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) in ensuring that there were no rancour with the entitlements of the players and the technical crew but advised that they take patience in the event that any player erred in any future tournaments.
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

1naija wrote:

I thought it was the "clutch" that was missing...... :D
Jimi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Jimi »

I really feel for the guy as far as his "Don King style" contract is concerned but I have noticed a trend with African players. Why is it that some player after a major tournament always makes this sort of premature announcement of retirement or prolonged absence from their National teams? I am kinda sick of hearing these announcements. Good thing with Nigeria is that nobody is indispensable. If the guy does not stay and consolidate his spot on the team, there is an abundance of equal or better talent waiting in the wings. The guy needs a mature word in his ear like Okocha. Anyway I hope he resolves his injury and bogus contract concerns and gets the hell out of the oblivion he is in in Ukraine..
Fegwu

Post by Fegwu »

Is DAILY INDENPENT not a Nigerian news outlet? When did they become believable or credible. :roll:

I make good use of my salt reservoir now :(
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

Shownoja wrote:
27 wrote:

I guess you don't see the joke!

Let's just say the Super Eagles would be faster now and there'll be no stopping now!!! :P