F360
Egg
Egg
Re: Who can stop TEAM USA?

Post by F360 »

Samora Moises Machel wrote:
F360 wrote:
Gudo wrote:Hot air so far. I will assume all those chanting Team USA reside in that God forsaken country and are therefore incapable of being objective. Team USA is nothing to be proud of!

Basketball is a minority sport outside the USA.

But do not let me ruin the delusions.

Lets all chant USA! USA!

I have quickly asked 5 scottish women colleagues who Kobe Bryant and LeBron James were. All have never heard of them. 2 thought they were RnB singers :rotf: :rotf: Hell in that team list posted i have only heard of Kobe and LeBron myself, never heard of the others

Point is very few, i mean very few people outside the USA like basketball or even follow it never mind play it :dream: :dream: In the UK only time basketball is on tv is after 12am when everyone is in bed. Thats how insignificant it is

Michael Phelps a common swimmer will be more recognised than any basketball player in Europe Thats how lowly is is regarded here. Sorry

Last time I checked Scotland was not representative of the entire continent of Europe much less the British Isles.

No offense but the silliness of your post betrays your ignorance of Scotland and British Isles (your words). Scotland gets exactly the same tv programmes at exactly same times and we get the same newspapers and radio as London, Belfast, Manchester, Newcastle, Dublin etc.

No offense but your post reeks of an inadequate understanding of my post.(Scotland having the same tv programmes and news as Manchester, Belfast etc doesn't make the attitudes and beliefs held there reflective of the other cities or countries).

Your sample size was 5 scottish women "colleagues" and that's supposed to reflect that very few people outside of the USA "like Basketball, or even follow it never mind play it"(your words not mine). Really? So those 5 scottish women are an accurate representation of the European or worldwide populace? You could have just written "welp, I can say very few people in Scotland like Basketball, or follow it or play it" and that would have been slightly better despite the skewed sample.

--------------------------------------------
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

F360 wrote:
F360 wrote:
Gudo wrote:Hot air so far. I will assume all those chanting Team USA reside in that God forsaken country and are therefore incapable of being objective. Team USA is nothing to be proud of!

Lets all chant USA! USA!

I have quickly asked 5 scottish women colleagues who Kobe Bryant and LeBron James were. All have never heard of them. 2 thought they were RnB singers :rotf: :rotf: Hell in that team list posted i have only heard of Kobe and LeBron myself, never heard of the others

Point is very few, i mean very few people outside the USA like basketball or even follow it never mind play it :dream: :dream: In the UK only time basketball is on tv is after 12am when everyone is in bed. Thats how insignificant it is

Michael Phelps a common swimmer will be more recognised than any basketball player in Europe Thats how lowly is is regarded here. Sorry

Last time I checked Scotland was not representative of the entire continent of Europe much less the British Isles.

No offense but the silliness of your post betrays your ignorance of Scotland and British Isles (your words). Scotland gets exactly the same tv programmes at exactly same times and we get the same newspapers and radio as London, Belfast, Manchester, Newcastle, Dublin etc.

No offense but your post reeks of an inadequate understanding of my post.(Scotland having the same tv programmes and news as Manchester, Belfast etc doesn't make the attitudes and beliefs held there reflective of the other cities or countries).

Your sample size was 5 scottish women "colleagues" and that's supposed to reflect that very few people outside of the USA "like Basketball, or even follow it never mind play it"(your words not mine). Really? So those 5 scottish women are an accurate representation of the European or worldwide populace? You could have just written "welp, I can say very few people in Scotland like Basketball, or follow it or play it" and that would have been slightly better despite the skewed sample.

But if you mention Iniesta, Balotelli, Casillas those same women will know who they are and what they do boss. Even among my black African friends noone likes basketball :lol: :lol:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

F360 wrote:
bret- hart wrote:When the rest of the world starts taking basketball more seriously, America will be put in her proper place. At the bottom. Just like it is in Soccer, Baseball and Track.

Between this post and Gudo's post the ignorance level is on another planet.

I think most that follow Basketball realize that the rest of the world started to take the game more seriously in the late 80's culminating in the victory over Team USA's college players that resulted in the Dream Team coming together in 1992.
The rest of the world includes team's that have beaten the USA since the Dream Team won gold in 1992. Argentina, Spain, Greece can all lay claim to that.

Last time I checked the rest of the world beat the USA in the 1998, 2002 and 2006 World Championships as well as the 2004 Olympics.
People in the rest of the World take basketball ultra seriously.

@ Bret Hart,

I actually think that when Americans start taking soccer seriously they will shake things up.

@ Gudo,

You must be having a laugh comparing Basketball to Gaelic football. The sport is damn near number two to soccer.
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

What does the spanish bench look like ?
Sorry even with only one recognizable center, this team USA will be too much for others.
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

juventuss wrote:What does the spanish bench look like ?
Sorry even with only one recognizable center, this team USA will be too much for others.
Not necessarilly, the spaniards gave team USA all they could handle in last year's Olympic final.
phantomjournalist
Egg
Egg

Post by phantomjournalist »

Lets all chant USA! USA!
The person incapable of being objective here is the person who criticizes another country by calling it "God forsaken".

How about you read this article, with an actual Brit giving his objective view on basketball outside of the US.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... -the-world
Blue is the color.
Killa Adjei wrote: Barcelona won the champions league something your useless team can only touch in their dreams..
%$#@^& moron.
phantomjournalist
Egg
Egg

Lets all chant USA! USA!

In the UK only time basketball is on tv is after 12am when everyone is in bed. Thats how insignificant it is

Genius, that's because of time difference.

As someone who's lived in the UK for 5-6 years myself, I can tell you that a hell of a lot more people FOLLOW and know about basketball in the UK than a lot of you know or would care to admit. It's more popular with the younger generation, so I can see why some of you guys' peers might not know who players like Kobe and LeBron are.
Blue is the color.
Killa Adjei wrote: Barcelona won the champions league something your useless team can only touch in their dreams..
%$#@^& moron.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

phantomjournalist wrote:

Lets all chant USA! USA!

In the UK only time basketball is on tv is after 12am when everyone is in bed. Thats how insignificant it is

As someone who's lived in the UK for 5-6 years myself, I can tell you that a hell of a lot more people FOLLOW and know about basketball in the UK than a lot of you know or would care to admit. It's more popular with the younger generation, so I can see why some of you guys' peers might not know who players like Kobe and LeBron are.
No mate the games wont even be live, it will recorded Its on channel 5 at midnight :D

I am below 40 not like i am some old man with a walking stick :taunt: :taunt:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
phantomjournalist
Egg
Egg

phantomjournalist wrote:

Lets all chant USA! USA!

No mate the games wont even be live, it will recorded Its on channel 5 at midnight :D

I am below 40 not like i am some old man with a walking stick :taunt: :taunt:
Some regular season games and playoff games are shown LIVE on ESPN UK. Also, be specific...39, is below 40 as you know. :)
Blue is the color.
%$#@^& moron.
Jimi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Jimi »

A lot of commentary on this thread is clouded with anti-American sentiment, most notably from one unnamed dunce with a wrestling moniker (indicates his intelligence, or lack thereof..lol)..LMAO
mke1010
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mke1010 »

Jimi wrote:A lot of commentary on this thread is clouded with anti-American sentiment, most notably from one unnamed dunce with a wrestling moniker (indicates his intelligence, or lack thereof..lol)..LMAO
:D :D :D
Abeg dis shd not turn in to a pay per view event with you and Bret.
To conquer one's self is the most noble victory; to be vanquished by one's own nature is the worst and most ignoble defeat. (Plato)
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

mke1010 wrote:
Jimi wrote:A lot of commentary on this thread is clouded with anti-American sentiment, most notably from one unnamed dunce with a wrestling moniker (indicates his intelligence, or lack thereof..lol)..LMAO

Jimi is a USDA Certified angel*. So because i don't support team USA, I am Anti American?? Sheesh. :dream: No wonder George Bush II got elected 2wice. Cos morons like him and Queen Futcha constantly pollute the gene pool. People need to learn how to think. If more countries had good basketball programs comparable to the ones we see here in the States, comparable to the way European, SA, and African countries invest time and energy in football, there would be many good BBall national teams, thus more competition for team USA, thus the increasing likelyhood that team USA will get beat just like their National baseball team. This has nothing to do with being "Pro American". It is sad that some people here cannot grasp that simple concept and use their blind patriotism(These same clowns could give 2 sh!ts about the country of their parents) to think and act stupidly.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Jimi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Jimi »

Listen buddy..Your posts all over these boards betray your anti-Americanism so don't suddenly try to hide behind any cloak of objectivity..Step your diction and spelling up a notch and drop the recalcitrant act cos you don't want it with me doofus..Do you realize that there are thriving top notch basketball leagues all over Europe (notably Greece, Spain, Italy and even Russia)? Do some research and see how competitive those leagues are and how many Americans actually earn a decent living playing basketball in Europe..Read up on how seriously fans take the game in Turkey, so much so that they sometimes resort to throwing coins and other projectiles on the court when their teams lose.. I wouldn't argue about a lack of interest in the European countries if I were you; perhaps an imbalance in the depth of talent, but then again your thought process is probably too shallow to identify that..
bret- hart wrote:
mke1010 wrote:

Jimi is a USDA Certified angel*. So because i don't support team USA, I am Anti American?? Sheesh. :dream: No wonder George Bush II got elected 2wice. Cos morons like him and Queen Futcha constantly pollute the gene pool. People need to learn how to think. If more countries had good basketball programs comparable to the ones we see here in the States, comparable to the way European, SA, and African countries invest time and energy in football, there would be many good BBall national teams, thus more competition for team USA, thus the increasing likelyhood that team USA will get beat just like their National baseball team. This has nothing to do with being "Pro American". It is sad that some people here cannot grasp that simple concept and use their blind patriotism(These same clowns could give 2 sh!ts about the country of their parents) to think and act stupidly.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Jimi wrote:Listen buddy..Your posts all over these boards betray your anti-Americanism so don't suddenly try to hide behind any cloak of objectivity..Step your diction and spelling up a notch and drop the recalcitrant act cos you don't want it with me doofus..Do you realize that there are thriving top notch basketball leagues all over Europe (notably Greece, Spain, Italy and even Russia)? Do some research and see how competitive those leagues are and how many Americans actually earn a decent living playing basketball in Europe..Read up on how seriously fans take the game in Turkey, so much so that they sometimes resort to throwing coins and other projectiles on the court when their teams lose.. I wouldn't argue about a lack of interest in the European countries if I were you; perhaps an imbalance in the depth of talent, but then again your thought process is probably too shallow to identify that..
bret- hart wrote:
mke1010 wrote:

don't waste your time with her, she is a lost cause... long time no 'see' what you listening to these days? :)
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Jimi wrote:Listen buddy..Your posts all over these boards betray your anti-Americanism so don't suddenly try to hide behind any cloak of objectivity..Step your diction and spelling up a notch and drop the recalcitrant act cos you don't want it with me doofus..Do you realize that there are thriving top notch basketball leagues all over Europe (notably Greece, Spain, Italy and even Russia)? Do some research and see how competitive those leagues are and how many Americans actually earn a decent living playing basketball in Europe..Read up on how seriously fans take the game in Turkey, so much so that they sometimes resort to throwing coins and other projectiles on the court when their teams lose.. I wouldn't argue about a lack of interest in the European countries if I were you; perhaps an imbalance in the depth of talent, but then again your thought process is probably too shallow to identify that..
bret- hart wrote:
mke1010 wrote:

Dude dont come at me with that BS. I stated my opinion only for you to attack my view point and call me "Anti American". Its my opinion. If you dont like it kindly bounce. Yes there are Bball leagues all over the World hell Naija has a Bball league too but how much is invested in those leagues compared to the NBA? How much developmental initiatives are put into those leagues compared to the NBA? How much in terms of resources and youth development are put in those leagues compared to say football. You and alot of Americans have the ignorant mindset that America has better athletes on average compared to other countries. That is BullCrap. There are alot of potential Lebrons, Dwades, D Rose all over the world but these peeps due an inferior Bball culture in their mother countries either fall by the wayside or play in lesser leagues. The lucky ones like Hakeem Olajuwon and Dirk Nowitzky find their way somehow to the NBA. This is what i am trying to drum out here.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

airwolex wrote:
F360 wrote:
bret- hart wrote:When the rest of the world starts taking basketball more seriously, America will be put in her proper place. At the bottom. Just like it is in Soccer, Baseball and Track.

I think most that follow Basketball realize that the rest of the world started to take the game more seriously in the late 80's culminating in the victory over Team USA's college players that resulted in the Dream Team coming together in 1992.
The rest of the world includes team's that have beaten the USA since the Dream Team won gold in 1992. Argentina, Spain, Greece can all lay claim to that.

Last time I checked the rest of the world beat the USA in the 1998, 2002 and 2006 World Championships as well as the 2004 Olympics.

@ Bret Hart,

I actually think that when Americans start taking soccer seriously they will shake things up.

@ Gudo,

You must be having a laugh comparing Basketball to Gaelic football. The sport is damn near number two to soccer.

They take it seriously. They are just not good enough. They are a poor man's version of England which says it all.

phantomjournalist
Egg
Egg

bret- hart wrote:
airwolex wrote:
F360 wrote:

@ Bret Hart,

@ Gudo,

They take it seriously. They are just not good enough. They are a poor man's version of England which says it all.

Soccer/Football still ranks 5th (at best) in the US in terms of popularity which is saying quite a bit. This reflects itself in the fact that the average MLS player only makes $154,000 a year, and that number is skewed a little by the multi-million dollar earners at the top of the totem pole. That's less than what the average Real Madrid player earns weekly. Basically, there is just not enough money in soccer for Americans. The only recognizable academy in the whole of the US is the IMG soccer academy and the best player they've produced is Donovan. They don't even begin to compare to the academies of top clubs in Europe. Do you think that if the average American was raised playing some form of organized soccer like they were baseball, basketball or football they wouldn't have produced better players by now? I'm not talking about the whole soccer-mom culture either. Also, the bigger basketball leagues in Europe pay their players well...not $20 million like the top earners in the NBA but they could get payed around $1m-$2m, which is good money anywhere. I'd wager that they are better paid than the average MLS player.
Blue is the color.
%$#@^& moron.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Lets all chant USA! USA!

I agree with you to an extent. It is true that most people outside of US may not know who Kobe is, heck I didn't even know who Charles Barkley was in until I came to the United States in late 90's, but I knew Jordan, Pippen, Hakeem Olajuwon. Heck I even had a Chicago Bull Ruff Sack and Chica Bull t-shirt back in Naija. But your post could only be a fact for people in Scotland. Have you seen the fan base in say China? Spain? France? Just for an example.

You know, it's like Lionel Messi or Christiano Ronaldo walking on the street of New York...they will most likely go unrecognized by average Americans. So what do you say about that?

@Gudo: You are right that Basketball is a minority sport outside USA. But one can also say that about soccer, cricket, Rugby, Baseball, Hockey etc. For instance soccer is a minority sport outside Asia. Can you believe that? Indian, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Japan, Korea, etc all play soccer as a secondary sport. Soccer is also a minority sport in most of the caribean and Latino countries. So really soccer is only popular in Africa/Europe/ South America.

While this is not about soccer, I'm only trying to point to you that Baskeball being a minority sport outside the USA is not a unique thing in sports if you think it is.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

airwolex wrote:
Not necessarilly, the spaniards gave team USA all they could handle in last year's Olympic final.
USA was over confident. Remember, USA dismantled Spain in the prelim. To be honest with you, Spain will be beaten red, white, and blue this time around.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
Jimi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Jimi »

I'm good Futch..long time. I'm waiting for that Nas next Tuesday..Already heard a bunch of fire tracks off the album. I'm also feeling that new Cassidy "Mayhem Music" mixtape. That new Kanye and co. track " New God Flow" is also heavy..What are you bumping?

King Futcha wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
mke1010 wrote:

don't waste your time with her, she is a lost cause... long time no 'see' what you listening to these days? :)
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Basketball is not a minority sport outside the States.

It's pretty big in parts of Europe (Spain, Croatia, Serbia, Russia), Africa, China etc. The leagues in Europe are incredibly well funded and run. They are only second to soccer in terms of the seriousness with which it is taken. Spain, France, Greece, Russia, Lithuania, Croatia have full three tiered professional leagues; if that's not taking things seriously I don't know what is.

Cricket - believe it or not - is the second most popular game but that's probably because Indian and Pakistan (who have well over a billion people) have it as their national sport.

Fact is that the US has huge potential to be a soccer power, it's just proving pretty difficult usurping the four major sports. In sports that the States take seriously they will always compete and that's a fact. They've done pretty well in tennis (till recently), dominated boxing and athletics and in golf well they compete against the rest of Europe combined, if that doesn't tell you the story I don't know what else will.
Last edited by airwolex on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

kolinzo wrote:
airwolex wrote:
USA was over confident. Remember, USA dismantled Spain in the prelim. To be honest with you, Spain will be beaten red, white, and blue this time around.
You are making the same mistake Bret Hart is making; thinking that basketball starts and ends in the States. The Spaniards have a pretty awesome league and plenty of ballers in the NBA. The Gasol brothers, Navaro, Calderon, Rubio, Rudy Fernandez etc are talented. They are not as good as Lebron and company but have played with each other pretty much since they were 12. On a good day they will compete with the States.

The States are NOT invinsible even with Lebron and co! Lebron, Wade, Carmelo etc were disgraced by Greece and Spain in the World Championships some years back, going further the likes of Pierce, Jermaine Oneal were pretty much humiliated at home by Argentina and Puerto rico.
okjazz
Egg
Egg

Post by okjazz »

The American public does not take soccer seriously. But the structures that soccer in America has are better than most countries. They have club teams for U-12, U-14, U-16, U-19 etc in every city even remote places like Montana. They also have select travelling teams that have the best players and are highly selective. When such teams have tryouts, in some cases up to 100 players try out and only 3 or 4 are selected.
Also American parents encourage their children to play the game and are happily willing to pay thousands of $$$ for their children to play , even those with no chance at getting a college scholarship.
All in all, America has advantages in football that most countries dont have.