Controversy surrounds Ye Shiwen

Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet
Controversy surrounds Ye Shiwen

Post by smartbrother »

I saw this yesterday and immediately noticed the strange reaction of the BBC presenters to her stunning performance. I thought at first it was due to British bad belle (their overhyped swimmer Hannah Miley narrowly missed a medal) but i guess this explains it. Thorpe and Foster were clearly dumbstruck by her final 50m but they didnt come out and say it. I hope she's clean though. It'd be sickening if a 16 year old was doping

http://aol.sportingnews.com/olympics/st ... yan-lochte
LONDON – She's 16 years old, and for 50 meters on Saturday night, she swam faster than U.S. superstar Ryan Lochte. And now China's Ye Shiwen is at the center of some controversial buzz at the Aquatics Center of these Olympic Games.

Shiwen smashed the world record in the women's 400-meter IM and took gold Saturday night, torching the final 100 meters in the event and coming from behind to beat U.S. 400 IM champion Elizabeth Beisel. Shiwen shaved more than a second off Australian Stephanie Rice's world record in her win, finishing at 4:28.43. But it was her final 100 meters – the freestyle leg of the event – that raised eyebrows. Not only did Shiwen go virtually stroke-for-stroke with Lochte – who had won gold in the men's 400 IM earlier in the night – she beat Lochte in the final 50 meters.

Shiwen went 28.93 in her final 50 and 58.68 in her final 100 of her 400 IM. Lochte went 29.10 in his final 50. And the final 100 meters of the pair? Lochte went 58.65 to Shiwen's 58.68. That was such intriguing fodder that when Lochte was in the mixed zone Sunday morning, he said Shiwen had been a topic of conversation the previous night.

[ Related: Ryan Lochte barred from wearing his American flag grill on medal stand ]

"We were all talking about that at dinner last night," Lochte said. "It was pretty impressive. And it was a female. She's fast. If she was there with me, I don't know, she might have beat me."

Added U.S. men's swimming coach Gregg Troy, "Heck of a swim. You notice stuff like that... You guys can do the research. I think that's probably the fastest women's split ever."

By Sunday morning, most had noticed. The stunning final 100 meters had multiple swim insiders privately questioning how Shiwen could have beaten Lochte in the last 50 meters or managed a virtual dead heat in the last 100. Particularly in such a grueling race. The buzz was so prevalent, SwimmingWorldMagazine.com blasted those who had been speculating about Shiwen.

"It was going to happen," the magazine said in a piece Sunday morning. "It was only a matter of when, and with how much force. Not minutes after Chinese youngster Ye Shiwen captured the gold medal in the 400 individual medley on the opening night of Olympic competition, accusations started to fly. You know the type. She must be doping.

"What a bloody shame."

Shiwen wasn't among the race favorites, yet she effectively peaked in the 400 IM on the Olympic stage despite never having won the event in a long-course international event. She also had never won a medal at a world championships prior to taking gold in the 200 IM in 2011.

[ Related: Empty seats at Olympic venues prompt investigation ]

Afterward, she called her win "A big step for Chinese swimming."

Shiwen and Beisel swam the two fastest times of the year in the 400 IM during their preliminary heats earlier in the day, with Beisel going 4:31.68 and Shiwen going 4:31.73.

Beisel appeared to have the event in hand in the closing 100 meters, but Shiwen thundered her way to the win, leaving Beisel a distant second, almost three seconds behind.

Fair or not, that final 100 meters has become a hot topic of conversation in the swimming community, particularly as the Chinese have once again flexed their power in the pool. Shiwen's teammate, Sun Yang, also captured gold in the 400-meter freestyle on Saturday, going a particularly fast second 200 meters and breaking Ian Thorpe's Olympic record with a 3:40.14.

While China is not alone amongst doping scandals, the country has been embarrassed by major documented revelations in the 1980s and 1990s. The doctor heading the Chinese Olympic team during many of those scandals, Chen Zhanghao, recently defended his country's actions, calling doping "widespread" during previous decades.

"The United States, the Soviet Union and France were all [doping] so we did as well," Chen told Australia's Sydney Morning Herald. "So how can you condemn China but not the USA or Soviet Union?"
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Controversy surrounds Ye Shiwen

Post by bret- hart »

Typical of the Americans. When they get beat rather than accept they they were beat fair and square, they whine like babies and accuse their opponents of cheating. How low can you go when you accuse a 16 year old kid of doping?? Despicable.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Godfather
Egg
Egg

Post by Godfather »

bret- hart wrote:Typical of the Americans. When they get beat rather than accept they they were beat fair and square, they whine like babies and accuse their opponents of cheating. How low can you go when you accuse a 16 year old kid of doping?? Despicable.
It makes me sick to the stomach how these people go about this. Soon enough they'll say "oh it seems she took tylenol(sic) and it is supposed to be a banned substance" yeye dey smell :oops:
“Achebe was a writer in whose company the Prison walls fell down.” – Dr. Nelson Mandela.
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

yep, the united states is one of the few countries that have the ability to produce steroids and substances that can escape detection, yet no one ever accuses them of cheating pre-maturely whenever they produce champions. Ironically now we seen how much doping they done. i.e Antonio Pettigrew , wonder how times cheats from U.S of A have gotten away with it without being detected.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

You guys need to go and watch that race and see the way she exploded over the final 100 . She came from behind to overhaul Biesel the favorite and blow away the world record. It looked like she was on fastforward and the others in slowmotion. If she is clean i agree its very tragic her feat isnt being celebrated properly because it was astonishing. But drugs in sport is a reality you cant blame the yanks or brits for being a bit suspicious
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

smartbrother wrote:You guys need to go and watch that race and see the way she exploded over the final 100 . She came from behind to overhaul Biesel the favorite and blow away the world record. It looked like she was on fastforward and the others in slowmotion. If she is clean i agree its very tragic her feat isnt being celebrated properly because it was astonishing. But drugs in sport is a reality you cant blame the yanks or brits for being a bit suspicious
they test these guys after winning ... so unless the chinese have produced undetectible substances she is fastest. I don't think the problem can ever be stopped, what happens when they start doing genetic modification..
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

So black man can swim...????? or is the black american got some white blood in him??
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

Colin Jones...
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

smartbrother wrote:You guys need to go and watch that race and see the way she exploded over the final 100 . She came from behind to overhaul Biesel the favorite and blow away the world record. It looked like she was on fastforward and the others in slowmotion. If she is clean i agree its very tragic her feat isnt being celebrated properly because it was astonishing. But drugs in sport is a reality you cant blame the yanks or brits for being a bit suspicious

When Micheal Phelps won 8 gold medals, Did anyone accuse him of Doping? When Marion Jones was winning all those races did anyone accuse her of doping even tho she looked like a shemale?? Dude America is not the only country that produces world class athletes. This is what i was saying in the Team USA basketball thread but morons like Queen Futcha and Jimi were attacking me instead. Who the Fukc is Biesel??? Why is it inconceivable that a Chinese kid or any other non American for that matter can wipe the floor with her? This kid was the Asian champion at 15. She is a phenom just like Ronaldo was in the 90s and the Chinese are fully capable of producing these athletes giving the fact that they have a world class sports program. Why is it hard for people to accept this unless they are ignorant racist sore losers.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

French win Gold....... in swiming relays.
Lager-back
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lager-back »

16 yr old Chinese girl breaks world record ke??
How does china do this? :shock:
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

soothsayer wrote:French win Gold....... in swiming relays.
yesssssssss

Yanks get smoked

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

bret- hart wrote:

When Micheal Phelps won 8 gold medals, Did anyone accuse him of Doping? When Marion Jones was winning all those races did anyone accuse her of doping even tho she looked like a shemale?? Dude America is not the only country that produces world class athletes. This is what i was saying in the Team USA basketball thread but morons like Queen Futcha and Jimi were attacking me instead. Who the Fukc is Biesel??? Why is it inconceivable that a Chinese kid or any other non American for that matter can wipe the floor with her? This kid was the Asian champion at 15. She is a phenom just like Ronaldo was in the 90s and the Chinese are fully capable of producing these athletes giving the fact that they have a world class sports program. Why is it hard for people to accept this unless they are ignorant racist sore losers.

I agree with you man. She came out of nowhere though I think the pundits are in shock. Meanwhile allez les bleus!!!
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

bret- hart wrote:Why is it hard for people to accept this unless they are ignorant racist sore losers.
you nailed it.

I saw the race live and watched how she smoked Biesel.....I knew the media would be out with the stories soon enough.

When the Yanks get beaten at 'a sure gold' they start whining.

Ben Johnson/Carl Lewis comes to mind.
(because we all know Carl never doped)

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

phantomjournalist
Egg
Egg

Post by phantomjournalist »

I still can't find any footage of this world record break. Wtf..
Blue is the color.
Killa Adjei wrote: Barcelona won the champions league something your useless team can only touch in their dreams..
%$#@^& moron.
seara
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by seara »

Here it's in full, phantom.
Don't take us too serious, we're here to Rant and Rave. - otite
accidental on purpose - Cellular
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

I knew this would come up. It's so damn predictable.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

Shameles mscbc made the replay disappear from the schedule. They edited the Full Replay and conveniently omitted women's 400-meter IM from the list. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

achuzia-the-air-raid wrote:Shameles mscbc made the replay disappear from the schedule. They edited the Full Replay and conveniently omitted women's 400-meter IM from the list. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Propaganda on overdrive.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Lager-back wrote:16 yr old Chinese girl breaks world record ke??
How does china do this? :shock:
...take a wild guess :???: They do drugs according to the yanks who can't be beat.
grandverve
Egg
Egg

Post by grandverve »

I dont think y'all understand USA's surprise. There are not many sports in the world where the female athlete beats their male counterpart. At least not No 1 female versus No 1 male. The female may be able to beat some male, but usually not when top dogs meet. What the yankees are saying is the chinese girl would have beatern Ryan Lochte the male American champion! That is the shock! Its a bit like saying the falcons will beat the SE if they both go for it full steam.

Doping or no doping it raises serios questions.
"THE GENTILITY OF A LION SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS COWARDICE"

A Manchester United FC FANantic - Our history makes us STRONG, your hatred makes us STRONGER
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

grandverve wrote:I dont think y'all understand USA's surprise. There are not many sports in the world where the female athlete beats their male counterpart. At least not No 1 female versus No 1 male. The female may be able to beat some male, but usually not when top dogs meet. What the yankees are saying is the chinese girl would have beatern Ryan Lochte the male American champion! That is the shock! Its a bit like saying the falcons will beat the SE if they both go for it full steam.

You are not looking at it from the right perspective although the split times are incredible.

Her time of 4:28.43 is over 22 seconds slower than Lochte's time of 4:05.18. If the two were to race together she will probably be nearly a full pool length slower.
grandverve
Egg
Egg

Post by grandverve »

folem wrote:
grandverve wrote:I dont think y'all understand USA's surprise. There are not many sports in the world where the female athlete beats their male counterpart. At least not No 1 female versus No 1 male. The female may be able to beat some male, but usually not when top dogs meet. What the yankees are saying is the chinese girl would have beatern Ryan Lochte the male American champion! That is the shock! Its a bit like saying the falcons will beat the SE if they both go for it full steam.

You are not looking at it from the right perspective although the split times are incredible.

Her time of 4:28.43 is over 22 seconds slower than Lochte's time of 4:05.18. If the two were to race together she will probably be nearly a full pool length slower.
Ok, thanks for pointing that out.
"THE GENTILITY OF A LION SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS COWARDICE"

A Manchester United FC FANantic - Our history makes us STRONG, your hatred makes us STRONGER