Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: These Olympics might turn out to be bad investment for G

Post by Gooner1 »

As I predicted....it has been a total disaster
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

well the weather is not exactly great in the UK, like i pointed out, they are in the middle of an economic recession
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Gooner1 wrote:As I predicted....it has been a total disaster
It hasnt been a disaster but they refused to use it to stimulate the economy they handed the money to a few.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

The only redeeming aspect of this olympics is the opening ceremony. Every other thing sucks.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

cic old boy wrote:
juventuss wrote:I doubt GB spent all this money just to win a gold medal.
Some companies have struck gold from the transfer of about £11bn of public money into their pockets.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You never disappoint CIC
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

cchinukw wrote:The only redeeming aspect of this olympics is the opening ceremony. Every other thing sucks.
Chinese and other Gold medal winners will suggest otherwise.
GREENWHITEGREEN
Egg
Egg

Post by GREENWHITEGREEN »

Love 'em or loathe 'em, you have to admire the way they celebrate their Bronze & silver like its Gold.
-Simpli fy -
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

I didn't know that success is only measured by the number of medals won by the host country!
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

AreaDaddy wrote:A report came out yesterday that trade in London's West End has fallen by 70% because people have been scared off by stories of how bad and congested London was going to be during the Olympics.

People not connected with the Olympics have stayed away in their thousands and people coming for the Olympics are only spending money in WestField shopping Centre :-) so the effect in other parts of London is bad.
I know the person running Prada at Westfield Stratford.... His words, 'This place has become a freaking museum'.... 'they are not buying'. Prada brought in staff from other parts of Europe, anticipating a very busy games. To their dismay, the bump in actual sales have not justified the costs. I don't really think these 'tourists' are spending much. They're just soaking up the atmosphere.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Roman Obamovitch wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:A report came out yesterday that trade in London's West End has fallen by 70% because people have been scared off by stories of how bad and congested London was going to be during the Olympics.

People not connected with the Olympics have stayed away in their thousands and people coming for the Olympics are only spending money in WestField shopping Centre :-) so the effect in other parts of London is bad.
I know the person running Prada at Westfield Stratford.... His words, 'This place has become a freaking museum'.... 'they are not buying'. Prada brought in staff from other parts of Europe, anticipating a very busy games. To their dismay, the bump in actual sales have not justified the costs. I don't really think these 'tourists' are spending much. They're just soaking up the atmosphere.
Does it occur to them that tourist usually don't buy until close to the end of their stay? You do not want to be logging luggages around the hotel when you can buy just before your flight
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

furiously frank wrote:
Roman Obamovitch wrote:

Does it occur to them that tourist usually don't buy until close to the end of their stay? You do not want to be logging luggages around the hotel when you can buy just before your flight
He did mention that... that he's hoping they come back later... the thing is that many tourists aren't staying for the entire games. They check in and check out... 3-4-5 days, etc.
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

Guv007 wrote:
soothsayer wrote:well I know stratford and surrounds got a massive development boost from the olympics, so while great britain as a whole might not have
benefitted .. the people of stratford and east london have.
Landlords who evicted tenants and increased rents for visitors to the Olympics has backfired as it seems there isn't much interest.
I used to live in Stratford. The landlord did some 'renovation' and hiked the rent by 41%. I initially thought of staying but decided against it. Now I'm laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

The Olympics gets started when track and field start. At least I hope so.
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

GREENWHITEGREEN wrote:Love 'em or loathe 'em, you have to admire the way they celebrate their Bronze & silver like its Gold.
Yup, just like the way we have been celebrating the participation of our 'fine ladies' in the Opening Ceremony march past!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Samora Moises Machel wrote:These games might turn out to be a disaster for GB in terms of returns via medals

They thought they had won silver in gymnastics but Japan appealed and GB was demoted to bronze :) Even that girl with the horse face Addlington the swimmer who they hoped would win gold, bronze is best she could manage :lol: That swimmer Daley or whatever his surname, they were gushing about his good looks. Well the judges didnt care much for his looks, no medal ;)

So far they are number 17 in medals table :)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19065717
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Samora Moises Machel wrote:These games might turn out to be a disaster for GB in terms of returns via medals

They thought they had won silver in gymnastics but Japan appealed and GB was demoted to bronze :) Even that girl with the horse face Addlington the swimmer who they hoped would win gold, bronze is best she could manage :lol: That swimmer Daley or whatever his surname, they were gushing about his good looks. Well the judges didnt care much for his looks, no medal ;)

So far they are number 17 in medals table :)
:rotf:
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

I always enjoy it when Samora Moises Machel opens posts like this....

I always can expect a laugh at the end of it........
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

by the way.... looks like GB might get another gold in long jump..... after jessica ennis picks up her Gold....
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

emmm you were saying ???
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Samora Moises Machel wrote: So far they are number 17 in medals table :)
5 days later they are in 3rd

with GB, it's mostly about rowing, cycling and a bit of track

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

Talk about EXCLAMATION MARK !!!!

GB wins 10k

FORZA JUVE
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

3 gold medals for GB in less than an hour

Samora is another one minute man :lol: :lol: :lol:
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
tfco
Eagle
Eagle