LONDON 2012 TRACK & FIELD THREAD

Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

kalamashaka
Egg
Egg
Re: LONDON 2012 TRACK & FIELD THREAD

Post by kalamashaka »

folem wrote:I'm suspicious of Mo's win in 5,000m. The time is so slow, even slower than the heats that conspiracy theorists are going to have a field day. Dejen Gebremeskel has a WL time of 12:46.81 and he ran the leading time of 13:15.15 in the heats compared to Mo's 13:26.00.

In the final Mo won with 13:41.66 beating Dejen with 13:41.98. :biggrin:
It's just a failure of tactics...both the 5k and the 10k were poor races and some of the better athletes did not get their tactics right. If all the athletes there had run at their best, Mo Farah would never have come anywhere near a medal but for some reason, the faster athletes allowed the race to be run at a very slow pace instead of pushing it and this gave the advantage to the sprinters at the end of the race. What surprises me is why they did it yesterday having seen what happened in the 10k
"How many white men went in the party that destroyed Abame?"
skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by skillful »

folem wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:
folem wrote:I'm suspicious of Mo's win in 5,000m. The time is so slow, even slower than the heats that conspiracy theorists are going to have a field day. Dejen Gebremeskel has a WL time of 12:46.81 and he ran the leading time of 13:15.15 in the heats compared to Mo's 13:26.00.

So what is the conspiracy ?

The Ethiopians and Kenyans were bribed ?
Mo did not win the race but the film footage was doctored ?
The British spiked other athletes with Performance-Unenhancing drugs?

Abeg share the jist, so we can spread the rumour...
haha what of poor Andrew Osagie of GB who came 5th or 6th in the 800 meters final and his time would have won him gold in China

Something fishy looks to be going on. I think the Africans may have been bribed.

The 1972 Olympics winning time was 13:26.4 and Mo's time of 2012 would have been good enough for only 10th position. :scared:
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

kalamashaka wrote:

It's just a failure of tactics...both the 5k and the 10k were poor races and some of the better athletes did not get their tactics right. If all the athletes there had run at their best, Mo Farah would never have come anywhere near a medal but for some reason, the faster athletes allowed the race to be run at a very slow pace instead of pushing it and this gave the advantage to the sprinters at the end of the race. What surprises me is why they did it yesterday having seen what happened in the 10k
Mo was not in the Top 10 leading times in 5000m, Winning in 10000m is not much of a surprise but at 5000m, with Dejen in it, I don't think it is poor tactics, the time is just too slow, it is like someone winning the 100m Men in 10.40s.
kalamashaka
Egg
Egg

Post by kalamashaka »

folem wrote:
kalamashaka wrote:

Mo was not in the Top 10 leading times in 5000m, Winning in 10000m is not much of a surprise but at 5000m, with Dejen in it, I don't think it is poor tactics, the time is just too slow, it is like someone winning the 100m Men in 10.40s.
I don't know how you define the term tactics but this is what I call poor tactics. When an athlete is racing against someone who he knows is a good finisher and he doesn't utilise his comparative advantage (i.e. the fact that he has a better pace over the course of the whole race) in order to neutralise the competitor's advantage but instead allows the race to unfold in a manner that is advantageous to the opponent...that's a failure of tactics
"How many white men went in the party that destroyed Abame?"
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

skillful wrote: haha what of poor Andrew Osagie of GB who came 5th or 6th in the 800 meters final and his time would have won him gold in China
That shows improvement in times, not retrogression. That race was a Word record breaking race compared to this race that could have won in 1964 Olympics.