London Olympics are being staged in a secondary school!

Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet
London Olympics are being staged in a secondary school!

Post by AreaDaddy »

They say Englands greatest wars were won on the fields of Eton. A supposed testament to Eton the school most officers of the British Army attended. They might also say the "2012 Olympic golds were won on the fields of Eton". As they have literally been.

The Olympics is a subtle reminder of the great class divide in the UK. The rowing facilites provided by Eton and normally the preserve of the moneyed kids that attend this school are where the rowing has been staged. The facilities (and the results) have been fantastic but it is shocking indictement of the treatment the government gives to state schools where their already tiny sport grounds are sold off to build hosuing estates.

It is no suprise that about 70% of the UK's gold medals are won by people who attended public (i.e private schools)
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: London Olympics are being staged in a secondary school!

Post by skillful »

AreaDaddy wrote:They say Englands greatest wars were won on the fields of Eton. A supposed testament to Eton the school most officers of the British Army attended. They might also say the "2012 Olympic golds were won on the fields of Eton". As they have literally been.

The Olympics is a subtle reminder of the great class divide in the UK. The rowing facilites provided by Eton and normally the preserve of the moneyed kids that attend this school are where the rowing has been staged. The facilities (and the results) have been fantastic but it is shocking indictement of the treatment the government gives to state schools where their already tiny sport grounds are sold off to build hosuing estates.

It is no suprise that about 70% of the UK's gold medals are won by people who attended public (i.e private schools)
:clap: true talk
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
soothsayer
Egg
Egg
Re: London Olympics are being staged in a secondary school!

Post by soothsayer »

skillful wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:They say Englands greatest wars were won on the fields of Eton. A supposed testament to Eton the school most officers of the British Army attended. They might also say the "2012 Olympic golds were won on the fields of Eton". As they have literally been.

:clap: true talk

kpom, just check the websites , the sports facilities and coaching support they supply these students..... in these unique sports... fencing, archery..... the gap widens.