Blessing storms to 100m final in sub-11secs

Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: Blessing storms to 100m final in sub-11secs

Football Manager wrote:I think she failed because she was not in the right frame of mind to excel. I do not see any lady out there that could defeat Blessing with proper technical people around her. She did everything by her own strength.

As at 1 August 2012 I expressed my bitterness to NOC from them shielding Mary Onyali Omagbemi from Blessing. Mary was crying to give her technical knowledge in preparing our new golden girl but Mary was not allowed within the Olympic Village. We have a long way to go as a Nation!

Please we must encourage Blessing.
I feel the exact same way.

Ummm my brother, it is Ramadan but I will go out on a limb and say Shelly Ann Frazier would take that one hands down
Riversboy wrote:
YUJAM wrote:If you count medals from the back..
AreaDaddy wrote:
Come 9.55 my girl go collect medal...na me talk am
Oga Yujam, as you said "from the back", my mind went to another meaning. :rotf:

RB.
Riversboy

Post by Riversboy »

YUJAM wrote:Ummm my brother, it is Ramadan but I will go out on a limb and say Shelly Ann Frazier would take that one hands down
Riversboy wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:

RB.
No photo-finish required for that one :thumbs:

RB.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: is this what we celebrate these days, nutmeg?
Heliopolis

Post by Heliopolis »

YUJAM wrote:Ummm my brother, it is Ramadan but I will go out on a limb and say Shelly Ann Frazier would take that one hands down
Riversboy wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:

RB.
She is like a stallion...her lower body is like a truck :drool: :drool: :drool:

Her face :shock: :shock: :shock:
Riversboy

Post by Riversboy »

Heliopolis wrote:
Riversboy wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:

RB.
She is like a stallion...her lower body is like a truck :drool: :drool: :drool:

Her face :shock: :shock: :shock:
Face isn't at the back. We are using only one perspective to judge. :thumbs:

RB.

kai..last

Heliopolis wrote:Her run in the semis was extremely remarkable. I've been watching track since 1996 and I've never ever ever ever seen someone come out of the blocks so slow, be in last place for the first half of a race and then storm back to win the race quite comfortably.
there was Carl Lewis.

Although what Blessing did in the semis was incredible

Riversboy

Post by Riversboy »

tfco wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:Her run in the semis was extremely remarkable. I've been watching track since 1996 and I've never ever ever ever seen someone come out of the blocks so slow, be in last place for the first half of a race and then storm back to win the race quite comfortably.
there was Carl Lewis.

Although what Blessing did in the semis was incredible
It was breathtaking.

RB.

Molue Conductor wrote:kai..last
Na so o o o o o
Igbanibo

Post by Igbanibo »

Kai, Blessing no medal O! :(
AreaDaddy

Post by AreaDaddy »

There is no hype, this is not D'Tigers. Blessing is legit. The final was a dissapointment as she has ran faster in several races leading up to the final. I think the occassion got to her. She still has the 200m, we'll see how that pans out
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Igbanibo

Post by Igbanibo »

I dont think she is running the 200, but I might be wrong.
AreaDaddy

Post by AreaDaddy »

Igbanibo wrote:I dont think she is running the 200, but I might be wrong.
That's a shame...
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."

Like I said...win or lose..Blessing will still become the fastest African woman of all time...and she is almost there
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT

That wasn't a good race from Blessing....when you consider the tail wind of 1.5+

Her race in Monaco was 10.96 with no tail wind.

Without an head wind of 1.5+ and at 0 altitude...her time would not have been 11.01 in the olympics finals, it would have been 11.11

So really if she replicated her Diamond League time of 10.96 with this tail wind, she should have run 10.86 in the Finals!

And this is very factual...her speed is comparable to Tiana Madison's.....if she was running within her true personal best, she would have beaten Madison or finished just behind her.

And her Semi Final time of 10.92...is in fact slower than her Monaco Diamond League Time!...you can see that with the slow start that she had...if she was running within the time of her Diamond League in Monaco, she would have finished with a speed of 10.89 when you consider the tail wind.

Her time in the heats was near her Diamond League form, when you factor in that tail wind of 0.7, she should have run 10.91 to be within her Monaco speed....She ran 10.93

Looking at the statistics...It is of my opinion that if she had a good race, she could have gotten a Bronze....those expecting a Gold or Silver from her were asking her to outdo herself....a Bronze however was within her capability...and if you are wondering...well...the other athletes had the tail wind too.....well that is what I said. Tianna Madison's Personal best time reflected the wind...Blessing's time did not reflect the wind!
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Babafad

Post by Babafad »

Football Manager wrote:I think she failed because she was not in the right frame of mind to excel. I do not see any lady out there that could defeat Blessing with proper technical people around her. She did everything by her own strength.

As at 1 August 2012 I expressed my bitterness to NOC from them shielding Mary Onyali Omagbemi from Blessing. Mary was crying to give her technical knowledge in preparing our new golden girl but Mary was not allowed within the Olympic Village. We have a long way to go as a Nation!

Why did the NOC keep Onyali away from the Olympic Village?
Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional.
Babafad

Post by Babafad »

AreaDaddy wrote:There is no hype, this is not D'Tigers. Blessing is legit. The final was a dissapointment as she has ran faster in several races leading up to the final. I think the occassion got to her. She still has the 200m, we'll see how that pans out
I don't think she'll be doing the 200. Next up for her is the Long Jump.......her best event.
Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional.
Heliopolis

Post by Heliopolis »

Tbite wrote:That wasn't a good race from Blessing....when you consider the tail wind of 1.5+

Her race in Monaco was 10.96 with no tail wind.

Without an head wind of 1.5+ and at 0 altitude...her time would not have been 11.01 in the olympics finals, it would have been 11.11

So really if she replicated her Diamond League time of 10.96 with this tail wind, she should have run 10.86 in the Finals!

And this is very factual...her speed is comparable to Tiana Madison's.....if she was running within her true personal best, she would have beaten Madison or finished just behind her.

And her Semi Final time of 10.92...is in fact slower than her Monaco Diamond League Time!...you can see that with the slow start that she had...if she was running within the time of her Diamond League in Monaco, she would have finished with a speed of 10.89 when you consider the tail wind.

Her time in the heats was near her Diamond League form, when you factor in that tail wind of 0.7, she should have run 10.91 to be within her Monaco speed....She ran 10.93

Looking at the statistics...It is of my opinion that if she had a good race, she could have gotten a Bronze....those expecting a Gold or Silver from her were asking her to outdo herself....a Bronze however was within her capability...and if you are wondering...well...the other athletes had the tail wind too.....well that is what I said. Tianna Madison's Personal best time reflected the wind...Blessing's time did not reflect the wind!
She is a beast no doubt. She needs some more coaching to work on her technique, specifically her start. You cant start so slow in the 100m and expect to win anything. If she can fix that then I see her being a gold medal favorite in Rio. Seriously, she is so slow out of the blocks that even with a decent start (not even a good or great start), she'd be posting 10.9s with ease. Now imagine if she fixes that, she'd move into the 10.8s and be a legit player in the field.

AreaDaddy wrote:There is no hype, this is not D'Tigers. Blessing is legit. The final was a dissapointment as she has ran faster in several races leading up to the final. I think the occassion got to her. She still has the 200m, we'll see how that pans out
She flattered to deceive while D'Tigers promised nothing. D'Tigers will not come last in their event :taunt:

I agree that Blessing should be supported and encouraged. Question is how?

Except Onyali is part of the technical crew or is Blessings coach, she has no business around the Olympic village. That is how some special players always sit on the SE bench though they are not part of the technical crew. We should do things right.

You guys just love oversimplifying and tabloidizing everything . What technical knowledge was Onyali supposed to share with her? :lol: Much respect to mary onyali dude but Blessing Okagbare already benefits from the best technical expertise money can buy. She ran 11 seconds flat that's not bad. Being Sandwiched between Jeter and Fraser affected her negatively. She's no Donovan Bailey she's more of a Maurice Greene- at her best when she's fully focused on executing her own race . The experience of running the olympic final will be an invaluable one She has nothing to be ashamed of. If she keeps improving she'll be running sub 10.8 soon

Riversboy wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:

RB.
Tell me about it. My eyes were ... strafing the screen ..

Her first third of the race is absolutely disastrous. I had such high hopes for her, but no one can keep running like that and expect to dominate in the 100m....Never have seen someone turn so many last positions into 1st...all in one race...she did it in the semis and it worked...tried it in the finals too, but those girls were beastly....She might never be the fastest starter in the world, but she owed it to herself to at least be competitive....No reason why Okagbare should come last in the 100m final...essentially means she was beat by folks she had beat in earlier rounds....and that's sad....she needs to work on that start

At 24, she's got time...but Track can be a fast changing sport....I don't particularly think that the women now at the top are very fast...so the sport looks like its waiting to be dominated by a beast....means that Okagbare might not have as much time as her age suggests...do I think she'd be that "beast"? Honestly, I don't....but she's good enough to win a world championship or 2 if she cleans up that start