150 MIL PEOPLE 0 MEDALS?

Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 150 MIL PEOPLE 0 MEDALS?

Post by Coach »

Naija ceased to exist as a progressive state decades ago. T'is no surprise to see our athletes languishing in last place or giving up after the first ten strides, being quintessentially Nigerian.
Godfather
Egg
Egg

Post by Godfather »

How do you win medals when there are no programs to develop athletes like the NUGA and NIPOGA games they had in the past. The little inter-house sports are not even there any more. :oops: :oops: :oops:
“Achebe was a writer in whose company the Prison walls fell down.” – Dr. Nelson Mandela.
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:
Roman Obamovitch wrote:
smartbrother wrote:christine will win us our first medal tonight
We have no athlete called christine, that is competing for us tonight.
He is referring to Ohurogu....
It's strange, how can you claim someone that doesn't want to claim you?
I think he is being sarcastic....and highlighting how poor Nigeria is. Our only claim to any fame at the Olympics through links to people of Nigerian heritage...
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

come on its not over till the fat lady sings... or is it the british woman!!!!!!

we still have 2-3 more events to go and we have a female boxer who performed well so far....
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

we have never failed to get 1 medal at an Olympic games in modern times. Even for Nigeria, this Olympics is an absolute disgrace. :boo:
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

THE OLYMPICS MOVEMENT: OF WHAT ESSENCE TO NIGERIA AND NIGERIANS?
On face value, one can easily conclude that the Olympic Games means only participating to Nigeria. We only seem to remember the Olympics on the eve of the Games especially because our preparations apart from always being shambolic, we have often been dogged by personality clashes between the Ministry of Sports and the NOC. It is a sign that politics is still held to be much more important than governance. Most times, the people appointed as Ministers of Sports are actually Sports illiterate who know next to nothing about the Olympism, hence, the squabble with the NOC for who takes charge of the country’s Olympic plans.

A visit to the NOC website reveals a well updated Nigerian website, which is not something that is common with Nigerian organizations. Quoting the website, inter alia, “The NOC is one of 205 National Olympic Committees currently recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). It is the role of the IOC to lead the promotion of Olympism in accordance with the Olympic Charter. The Charter details the philosophy, aims and traditions of the Olympic Movement”. Article 28 of the Olympic Charter states that: The mission of the National Olympic Committees (NOCs) is to develop, promote and protect the Olympic Movement in their respective countries. The role of NOCs within each country is to promote the spirit of Olympicism, ensure the observance of the Olympic Charter, and to encourage ethics in and development of sports. They are in charge of their country's representation at the Games, deciding on a host city for the Games, and cooperation with governmental and non-governmental bodies during the Games.

The question to be asked is whether the NOC is actually working in tandem with the tenets of Olympism? I doubt it. Quoting the NOC website again, it is stated that, “The Nigerian Olympic Committee’s (NOC) mission is to transform Nigerian lives through the power of the Olympic values and the success of Team Nigeria. There’s no better example of this than in the Nigerian Village that has been planned for the 2012 Olympics. With the help of our sponsors and partners the NOC will be able to fuse Olympic values in a showcase of the best that Nigeria has to offer to the rest of the world.”

To start with, the NOC, even though well updated is low in content. For instance, there is little information on the “Olympic Village planned for 2012”. Where is this Olympic Village? That apart, it is also my opinion that the NOC needs more of educating Nigerians rather the construction of an Olympic Village. The reason is not far-fetched. How many Nigerians know or has heard of Olympism before let alone what it entails? To us in Nigeria, the Olympic Games is what we know and it is about hurriedly sending athletes to the Games without much planning. Any other thing is esoteric.

If Olympism supports sports development then we no longer have the essence of the Olympics Movement at heart because sports development is all but dead in the country. I say this considering what I have seen from 1984, when I first watched the Olympic Games on TV. I may have been too young to witness or understand what was happening when a Nigerian 4x100m team broke the Commonwealth record at the Brisbane Games in 1982. That team included two indigenes of Ondo State viz. Lawrence Adegbehingbe and Isiaq Adeyanju but 1984 I cannot forget the exploits and names of Innocent Egbunike, Chidi Imo, Sunday Uti, Rotimi Peters, Moses Ugbosie, Ajayi Agbebaku, Joseph Taiwo, Maria Usifo etc. Outside track and field, we had Jerry Okorodudu, Joe Orewa, Charles Nwokolo and, of course, Peter Konyegwachie in boxing. In weightlifting, our South-South brothers like Oliver Orok, Iron Bar Bassey and Bartholomew Oluoma flew our banner. Year in year out, these fellas burnt calories to represent Nigeria at various tournaments until age and probably lack of motivation did them in.
Over the years, up till 1996, we had several other athletes gracing the scene and winning several laurels. 1996 seemed to be the peak when we won 2 gold medals in Atlanta’s Centennial Games in football, thanks to the exploits of our footballers; many of whom were graduates of the victorious Japan ’93 U-17 World Cup, and Chioma Ajunwa in women’s long jump. We also mounted the podium in our GWG to collect other medals too. We’d forever be grateful to the likes of Olapade Adeniken, Ezinwa brothers, Mary Onyali-Omagbemi, Falilat Ogunkoya, Charity Okpara, Fatima Yusuf and several others who brought Nigeria several athletics diadems at those Games and elsewhere. We shouldn’t forget the two Richards: Igbinegu and Izorintei for the two silvers in Sydney 2000 boxing events.
What is happening now in Nigeria Sports is a far cry from what we experienced between 1984 and 2000...well may be 2004 as well because the IOC has recently awarded Nigeria the 4X400 gold medal after the USA was disqualified for drug related reasons. I could remember reading on the pages of newspapers then how the late MKO Abiola used his legendary enthusiasm and philanthropies to aid many of our athletes to the United States, where they were exposed to world class facilities and coaching under the aegis of several universities scholarship programmes. The sad tale is that rather than build on the achievements of these yester-years and move on to bigger things, we have plunged. Meanwhile, our fellow African country, Kenya, which announced its potentials through Kip Keino at the 1968 Olympics have, at least, maintained the status quo in the distance races over the years.

Where is schools sports today? I remember while in secondary school how school sports used to be in the in thing. Today, it is a sad tale that what is supposed to be the assembly line for producing athletes for Nigeria has been shut down. Talents and destinies are being destroyed. And the NOC is only paying lip service when it says its “mission is to transform Nigerian lives through the power of the Olympic values and the success of Team Nigeria”. I do not for one think that the NOC is transforming lives neither do I have hope that Nigeria will win a medal at the London Olympics Games...well may be we will through Johnny Akinyemi, Nigeria’s first Olympic canoeist. But then Akinyemi has lived all his life in the British Cheshire town of Warrington.

5.0 RECOMMENDATIONS
1. Sports in Nigeria should in the hands of sports people, not politicians or traditional administrators.
2. Nigerians need education on what Olympism is all about before the essence of the Olympic Movement can be appreciated.
3. Active sports, not just Physical Education, should be part of school curriculum. It is not every pupil that is destined to be a bibliograph. Some are just wired by God to be Olympic champions but some of us parents are forcing them to read Law, Engineering etc. Well, they may succeed at it but compare it to if they were Olympic champions. In any case, today’s athletes combine sports and education up to university level very well. Parents should take note.
4. School Sports should be revived with good intents. Corporate bodies have the social responsibility of making impact in the community they are based. I’d rather have talents discovered in sports than in a 1m Naira Search or Big Brother.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

AreaDaddy wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:
Roman Obamovitch wrote:
smartbrother wrote:christine will win us our first medal tonight
We have no athlete called christine, that is competing for us tonight.
He is referring to Ohurogu....
It's strange, how can you claim someone that doesn't want to claim you?
I think he is being sarcastic....and highlighting how poor Nigeria is. Our only claim to any fame at the Olympics through links to people of Nigerian heritage...
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Chingo Bling
Egg
Egg

Post by Chingo Bling »

Godfather wrote:How do you win medals when there are no programs to develop athletes like the NUGA and NIPOGA games they had in the past. The little inter-house sports are not even there any more. :oops: :oops: :oops:
NUGA and various schools inter house sports still exist. Taking athletes to the next stage is where the problem lies.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

when will the olympics starts for looting, Nigeria will win every medal that could possibly be won, maybe pakistan might give them a close run, seriously though, a government that cant maintain 5 kilometres of road certainly does not give a hoot about sports
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

marko wrote:when will the olympics starts for looting, Nigeria will win every medal that could possibly be won, maybe pakistan might give them a close run, seriously though, a government that cant maintain 5 kilometres of road certainly does not give a hoot about sports
:lol: :lol: :lol:
olympics of kenkey, we dey dere too.

i dey claim Bolt as ghanaian so i'm not fussed.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

marko wrote:when will the olympics starts for looting, Nigeria will win every medal that could possibly be won, maybe pakistan might give them a close run, seriously though, a government that cant maintain 5 kilometres of road certainly does not give a hoot about sports
Don't bet on it. We're just not competitive as a nation. When it becomes a sport, even 'clean' countries like Britain will beat us. If in doubt, look at these Olympics and the organisation, and where all the money went.
GREENWHITEGREEN
Egg
Egg

Post by GREENWHITEGREEN »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:How many countries fit this category? Indonesia n India havent won nattin yet but i think there might others? pls, can u help me with this dilemma.I just cant seem to remember if any other countries that fit this description?
I Love Nigeria Past You: "0 medals nothwithstanding, we tried, sha and I am very proud of our athletes "
Last edited by GREENWHITEGREEN on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Simpli fy -
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Do we need a FC for all track and field events too?
OCCUPY NFF!!
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

All well meaning Nigerians, we should all join hands and celebrate mediocrity!

x
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

General Trousers wrote:All well meaning Nigerians, we should all join hands and celebrate mediocrity!

x
No, we should join hands and support our team especially during inter olympic years, and not bitching every Olympics about how useless Nigeria is

Tell us something new abeg ;)
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

The Olympics for scammers will soon start and with you as our representative we will win GOLD. Don't fizzle out in the finals please. Trusting you to come out in flying colours.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

akamoke wrote:
General Trousers wrote:All well meaning Nigerians, we should all join hands and celebrate mediocrity!

x
No, we should join hands and support our team especially during inter olympic years, and not bitching every Olympics about how useless Nigeria is

Tell us something new abeg ;)
Every Tom, d#$% and Harry come to the internet to make noise during competition forgetting that the foundation for success is laid before the competition proper. As usual, the noise of sack the coach, bring another coach will fill the air because we want a quick fix. Hopefully, those making noise will one day be in a position to win a medal by first getting involved in one sport beyond making noise on the internet.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Roman Obamovitch wrote:
Don't bet on it. We're just not competitive as a nation. When it becomes a sport, even 'clean' countries like Britain will beat us. If in doubt, look at these Olympics and the organisation, and where all the money went.
Exactly. You can see where it has all gone and the results.
Meanwhile, I dont know how many of you guys have been to the Olympic village, but right opposite, smack in the middle of Stratford, within 5 mins walk of the Olympic Park is 'Nigeria House'.
This is the Stratford 'Picture House' which has been hired for the duration of the games by Nigeria as a kind of cultural centre. Within it you have a bar, a restaurant, Nigerian fashion boutiques and a theatre where they have been staging Nigerian plays with Nigerian actors all flown in from Nigeria for two weeks. They will start showing Nollywood films from today.
I understand all this was paid for by the Nigerian BOI and the mind boggles at how much it cost them considering how strategically close to the Olympic nerve centre it is and how they would have had to out-bid several others from all over the world to get hold of that place.

Its a great idea, if only we equally had the foresight to invest in the actual reason everyone is there in the first place - sport. You can't blame anyone for thinking that someone somewhere is making a killing with this whole Nigeria House setup.

http://stratfordeast.com/30-nigeria-house-3
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
phantomjournalist
Egg
Egg

Post by phantomjournalist »

Bangladesh is the largest country to never win an olympic medal. They have as many people as Nigeria (bout 150 mill) and they have never even medalled in any Olympics ever.
Blue is the color.
Killa Adjei wrote: Barcelona won the champions league something your useless team can only touch in their dreams..
%$#@^& moron.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

phantomjournalist wrote:Bangladesh is the largest country to never win an olympic medal. They have as many people as Nigeria (bout 150 mill) and they have never even medalled in any Olympics ever.
So what you're saying is that we should strive to be like Bangladesh?
phantomjournalist
Egg
Egg

Post by phantomjournalist »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
phantomjournalist wrote:Bangladesh is the largest country to never win an olympic medal. They have as many people as Nigeria (bout 150 mill) and they have never even medalled in any Olympics ever.
Ummm, the OP said:

How many countries fit this category? Indonesia n India havent won nattin yet but i think there might others? pls, can u help me with this dilemma.I just cant seem to remember if any other countries that fit this description?

Follow?
Blue is the color.
Killa Adjei wrote: Barcelona won the champions league something your useless team can only touch in their dreams..
%$#@^& moron.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

The thing is Nigeria is a sporting country. Nigerians are athletes.

It isn't just a case of saying we have 150 Million people, Nigerians are athletes!

Growing up in Ibadan, all we did was play sports. We did track & field on our street regularly. I was the 3rd fastest in my street, my brother was the fastest. There was this other crazy kid that was younger than me that was faster. That is all we did was play sports. We played table tennis. We played football more than the Super Eagles played football. We played with felele, we played with heat. We played every sport we could possibly play. We even set up a boxing ring when I was living in Jos and we boxed as well.

Nigeria is a nation of athletes!

Bangladesh probably isn't. I know the Bangladeshi's are more interested in Cricket than anything else. The thing is people feed this lie that all we are interested in is football. Athletics is a big deal in Nigeria. It is the organisation and the preparation that is not a big deal.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

phantomjournalist wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Ummm, the OP said:

How many countries fit this category? Indonesia n India havent won nattin yet but i think there might others? pls, can u help me with this dilemma.I just cant seem to remember if any other countries that fit this description?

Follow?
I see.