Of Olympic medals, Western Nations and the Chinese threat

Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet
Of Olympic medals, Western Nations and the Chinese threat

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

At first Olympics games never required anything complicated in the sports events. Talent and strength carried the day. Then all hell broke loose after 1968 when Africans started rubbishing Oyibos held records. What did our friends -the Oyibos do? They simply came up with new sports like synchronized diving, swimming, beach and water volleyball and 40 categories of weightlifting! All went well until China noticed. We all know the Chinese know a good deal when they see one- and these Olympic sports were too sweet to pass. They trained their athletes in every sport from archery to diving! Well, the oyibo countries did not see this coming.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/NATL- ... 22576.html
Last edited by Field Marshall Ogolo on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
soothsayer
Egg
Egg
Re: Of Olympic medals, Oyibos and the Chinese threat

Post by soothsayer »

well they have a billion people of all shapes an sizes....
hell I'm sure they can find a contender for every event possible.
If they started accepting black nationals from west-africa they
might even have a chance with the sprints.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

China is finally realizing its potential. Chinese success is testament to what pride, dedication, and financial support can do for a nation's athletic programs. It also doesn't hurt that China has a large population pool from which to develop and select athletes.

The race angle here is tiring, even mildly offensive. But, strictly speaking, if you want to compare China and Oyibos, do the comparison using a few European nations. If we're going to get into a game of racial and national accounting, I'd say Germany, Italy, Great Britain, and France should be compared to China, just to make things a bit fairer in terms of per capita production.

Of course, don't count the medals of non-Oyibos on the Oyibo teams. Let's make this a pure blooded thing.

:roll:

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

mate wrote:China is finally realizing its potential. Chinese success is testament to what pride, dedication, and financial support can do for a nation's athletic programs. It also doesn't hurt that China has a large population pool from which to develop and select athletes.

The race angle here is tiring, even mildly offensive. But, strictly speaking, if you want to compare China and Oyibos, do the comparison using a few European nations. If we're going to get into a game of racial and national accounting, I'd say Germany, Italy, Great Britain, and France should be compared to China, just to make things a bit fairer in terms of per capita production.

Of course, don't count the medals of non-Oyibos on the Oyibo teams. Let's make this a pure blooded thing.

Cheers, Mate
Seriously though, they need to get rid of some sports from the Olympics. and no I am not being ignorant, I am not saying archery or gymnastics or anything like that.

I mean sports like trampoline, bmx, beach volleyball etc.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

mate wrote:China is finally realizing its potential. Chinese success is testament to what pride, dedication, and financial support can do for a nation's athletic programs. It also doesn't hurt that China has a large population pool from which to develop and select athletes.

Cheers, Mate
was just being flippant, I believe firmly that talent comes from individual ability and success it ability to utilize that talent to your best. Some people have talent but not the mental staying power, commitment or lack access or knowledge to tap that talent, some have less talent but the mental drive and will to achieve and grab opportunities. It is being able to bridge the two that makes success.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cheers, Mate
mate,
the article did not mean to offend. just wanted to put across the point of having too many games that the rest of the world knows very little about- unless you have the financial resources to train- in other words, the only level field is the athletic track...
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Of Olympic medals, Western Nations and the Chinese threa

Post by mate »

What I found offensive was what seems to be an assertion by you that the Olympics are engineered to benefit white athletes and the white race. I'm well aware of the impact of Western racism in sports, but to say that this persists is simply untrue, never mind the polarizing offensiveness of the charge.

Simply look at the variation of people on Western teams. Look at how much more accessible sports programs are today in the US for all people. Aside from sports that have an obvious financial barrier to entry, like equestrian, any talented athlete can find an opportunity to be a runner, swimmer, shot putter, wrestler, footballer, tennis player, or so.

Cheers, Mate
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

mate wrote:What I found offensive was what seems to be an assertion by you that the Olympics are engineered to benefit white athletes and the white race. I'm well aware of the impact of Western racism in sports, but to say that this persists is simply untrue, never mind the polarizing offensiveness of the charge.

Simply look at the variation of people on Western teams. Look at how much more accessible sports programs are today in the US for all people. Aside from sports that have an obvious financial barrier to entry, like equestrian, any talented athlete can find an opportunity to be a runner, swimmer, shot putter, wrestler, footballer, tennis player, or so.

Cheers, Mate
we obviously disagree on that one. lets take winter olympis : so the events do not favor some people over others? what happened to the jamaican bobsled team? :lol:
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Tbite wrote:

Cheers, Mate
Add shooting to that. :boo: :boo: Olympics is for sport. I managed to watch the shooting and I was like, do you need physical fitness for that?
Seriously though, they need to get rid of some sports from the Olympics. and no I am not being ignorant, I am not saying archery or gymnastics or anything like that.

I mean sports like trampoline, bmx, beach volleyball etc.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Quite a lot of the Olympics disciplines are hobbies and not sports

Horse riding, archery, never sports in any other parts of the world :roll: :roll:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

mate wrote:What I found offensive was what seems to be an assertion by you that the Olympics are engineered to benefit white athletes and the white race. I'm well aware of the impact of Western racism in sports, but to say that this persists is simply untrue, never mind the polarizing offensiveness of the charge.

Cheers, Mate
Mate, what he is trying to say is that most of the Olympic sports are mostly Euro-centric. That is not a surprise considering the origin of the Olympics. If the Olympics originated in Africa, most of the sports would be indigenous African sports. If it originated in South America, it would probably be full of indigenous Indian sports. Most of the Olympic sports were already established before non-Europeans began participating in the Olympics. It is just the reality. Don't even talk about the Winter Olympic Games, where there is nothing for the Africans to do ...
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

I can accept that many of the sports are Western centric. I also agree that some of them are nonsense. I just disagree with some notion of a racial imperative for whites to get more medals by introducing certain sports. As some here have mentioned, it's more fait accompli than some racial conspiracy.

As for the winter games, sure, fait accompli also accounts for why some nations are better situated than others for most of the sports. The existence of winter sports has nothing to do with a desire to win medals for whites. That's what the opening post sounded like to me.

If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Cheers, Mate
Metho scorpion
Egg
Egg

Post by Metho scorpion »

soothsayer wrote:well they have a billion people of all shapes an sizes....
hell I'm sure they can find a contender for every event possible.
If they started accepting black nationals from west-africa they
might even have a chance with the sprints.
...bro it is not about shapes and sizes...it is about having a system in place and maintaining such system...
...how many West African don win for sprints wey u dey talk...? Watch out, maybe by next olympic they will start solving the need for having sprinters...yeye African countries...Naija being the giants of fool...
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

mate wrote:I can accept that many of the sports are Western centric. I also agree that some of them are nonsense. I just disagree with some notion of a racial imperative for whites to get more medals by introducing certain sports. As some here have mentioned, it's more fait accompli than some racial conspiracy.

As for the winter games, sure, fait accompli also accounts for why some nations are better situated than others for most of the sports. The existence of winter sports has nothing to do with a desire to win medals for whites. That's what the opening post sounded like to me.

If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Cheers, Mate
Host countries try to include sports that they are likely to win ih competition so as to boost their medal haul. I know Nigeria did so at AAG!

Trying to understand the criteria for selecting sports for the Olympics. We need to include TEN TEN lol, hide and seek etc
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Samora Moises Machel wrote:Quite a lot of the Olympics disciplines are hobbies and not sports

Horse riding, archery, never sports in any other parts of the world :roll: :roll:
You don't have to watch them.
There should be as much variety of sports as possible. why? people have different interests and excell in various sports that they like and are much more suited to. Is everyone good at playing football, athletes, long distance running etc?
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Vincent. wrote:

Cheers, Mate
Mate, what he is trying to say is that most of the Olympic sports are mostly Euro-centric. That is not a surprise considering the origin of the Olympics. If the Olympics originated in Africa, most of the sports would be indigenous African sports. If it originated in South America, it would probably be full of indigenous Indian sports. Most of the Olympic sports were already established before non-Europeans began participating in the Olympics. It is just the reality. Don't even talk about the Winter Olympic Games, where there is nothing for the Africans to do ...

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: