Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

cyrilndo
Eaglet
Eaglet
Chei Ethopia take Kenya drink Garri

Post by cyrilndo »

Olympics marathon: Ethiopia's Tiki Gelana wins gold in record time

Kenya's Priscah Jeptoo claimed silver, five seconds behind, while Russia's Tatyana Petrova Arkhipova took bronze.

Freya Murray, a late replacement for injured Paula Radcliffe, was the best placed Briton, 9:07 back in 44th place.

Team-mate Claire Hallissey was more than 12 minutes behind in 57th, while Mara Yamauchi quit just before 10km.

In winning on The Mall, 24-year-old Gelana took seven seconds off the previous Olympic record as she sprinted to victory ahead of Jeptoo.

Petrova set a personal best of 2:23:29, while Kenya's Mary Keitany, winner of the London marathon this year, had to settle for fourth after being dropped by the leading pack in the final stages.

"I'm not sure many people would have tipped Gelana," said BBC commentator and former Olympic 1500m silver medallist Steve Cram.
Analysis
Image of Steve Cram Steve Cram BBC athletics commentator

"The crowd on The Mall roared the Ethiopian Tiki Gelana home. She showed in Rotterdam earlier this year when she broke the Ethiopian record that she could run a fast time. This time she did it on the Olympic stage. The pre-race favourite, Kenya's Mary Keitany, was almost jogging at the end as her dream of winning the Olympics was taken away."

"She wasn't quite unknown, but to run in such a way was impressive. She looked really relaxed until the last 200m-300m, when she strained to reach the finish line.

"Once again, the Kenyans have had to play second fiddle to the Ethiopians, who were dancing with joy at the end." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Murray, 28, was the first Scottish woman to represent Britain in an Olympic marathon since Liz McColgan at Atlanta in 1996.

She says she is now targeting the Commonwealth Games and then the Rio Games in 2016. --Kenyians will be fuming

"It was a brilliant experience for me and, hopefully, a stepping stone to Glasgow 2014 and Rio 2016," she said.

"When I got the call last Sunday, I was devastated for Paula but excited. I feel I have justified my selection."

Yamauchi, 38, was sixth in the 2008 Beijing Olympic marathon but has since struggled with injury.

She said: "I had a heel bruise that I thought I was able to run on. I was confident I could give it a go, but on the second corner it started hurting.

"I did my best and it is not good to drop out in your home Games. I didn't want my Olympic journey to end like this. I thought about withdrawing beforehand and had much higher hopes. Sadly it wasn't to be"
" The best way to have a fair judgement on anything is to imagine yourself sitting somewhere in space watching planet earth with the beings that inhabit it, especially those who call themselves homo sapiens. You have no nationality or tribe, you are not a fan of Arsenal, Barca, Inter Milan, Manchester United etc. You won't see a booty or huge boobs if they walk pass you. Money is like tissue to you. what is your opinion? "

This post has been made by camex whom I have ignored.
kalamashaka
Egg
Egg
Re: Chei Ethopia take Kenya drink Garri

Post by kalamashaka »

Erm...you know Kenya has won one more medal here than they did in Beijing in the events that have already been run? Kenya's usual gold medal events haven't been run yet...one is later on tonight
"How many white men went in the party that destroyed Abame?"
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

kalamashaka wrote:Erm...you know Kenya has won one more medal here than they did in Beijing in the events that have already been run? Kenya's usual gold medal events haven't been run yet...one is later on tonight
See these yeye nations rejoice when undisputed track and field king of Africa (Kenya) gets a few useless medals. What is Cameroon good at other than short put?
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

your coach said it will be 12 golds and 36 overall... surely he was counting the 10000m mens and womens and the womens marathon?
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.