DID KILLING INTER-HOUSE SPORTS DOOM OUR TRACK N FIELD??

Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
DID KILLING INTER-HOUSE SPORTS DOOM OUR TRACK N FIELD??

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

When i was a student at ISI in Ibadan there was a student name Fumilade who was so fast he ruled the school and the state in 100m,200m and often anchored our relay teams to victory. Fumilade's day to shine was always during the annual inter house sports. Everybody wanted to dethrone him but none ever got close,his fasted time in 100m was(about) 11secs.

Fumilade never did become a track star or a professional sprinter but he was a big part of a generation of young athletes that pushed our best athletes to perform at their best at the national intercollegiate meet that was then arranged by the NSC. In fact, fumilade never finished in the top 3 at the national finals. He came in 5th with 10.7-but he helped push the top 3 to their best. They later went one to rep Nigeria at the all africa games while forming one of the most formidable generation of sprinters we've ever had.

what happenned to that process? We had track coaches,equipment etc..those that had talent were trained well, encouraged and rewarded. Most importantly there were always representatives from the NSC to watch and give out prices.

What happenned?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: DID KILLING INTER-HOUSE SPORTS DOOM OUR TRACK N FIELD??

Post by Mr. Piffington »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:When i was a student at ISI in Ibadan there was a student name Fumilade who was so fast he ruled the school and the state in 100m,200m and often anchored our relay teams to victory. Fumilade's day to shine was always during the annual inter house sports. Everybody wanted to dethrone him but none ever got close,his fasted time in 100m was(about) 11secs.

Fumilade never did become a track star or a professional sprinter but he was a big part of a generation of young athletes that pushed our best athletes to perform at their best at the national intercollegiate meet that was then arranged by the NSC. In fact, fumilade never finished in the top 3 at the national finals. He came in 5th with 10.7-but he helped push the top 3 to their best. They later went one to rep Nigeria at the all africa games while forming one of the most formidable generation of sprinters we've ever had.

what happenned to that process? We had track coaches,equipment etc..those that had talent were trained well, encouraged and rewarded. Most importantly there were always representatives from the NSC to watch and give out prices.

What happenned?
Nigeria happened.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

I guess when school funding is reduced , schools have to prioritize... happens all over the world.
I think 3 things here... there is no need for inter school competitions or football competitions
to be cut... we still have companies that can sponsor. Secondly I fear that school land that
once could be used for sports is being used to build more classrooms and or sold. Third I worry
that the new private schools do not cater for sports , in private schools in europe & america
one of the things that is noted about the school is their sporting achievements and their facilities.
Nigerians need to realize that sports can be a career choice and therefore the facilities to train
for this profession should be accessible. Sports need to be shown as a viable career choice
not just an activity for enjoyment and physical fitness.

I believe that if sports (other than football) can be shown to be a money earner within Nigeria, it can
be revived, but in the meanwhile the economic condition and mismanagement by education and
sports authorities is what is killing sports back home.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

World has moved on since then, Athletes now is a full time all year round training job, with hardly any breaks.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:When i was a student at ISI in Ibadan there was a student name Fumilade who was so fast he ruled the school and the state in 100m,200m and often anchored our relay teams to victory. Fumilade's day to shine was always during the annual inter house sports. Everybody wanted to dethrone him but none ever got close,his fasted time in 100m was(about) 11secs.

What happenned?

You went to school? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

soothsayer wrote:I guess when school funding is reduced , schools have to prioritize... happens all over the world.
I think 3 things here... there is no need for inter school competitions or football competitions
to be cut... we still have companies that can sponsor. Secondly I fear that school land that
once could be used for sports is being used to build more classrooms and or sold. Third I worry
that the new private schools do not cater for sports , in private schools in europe & america
one of the things that is noted about the school is their sporting achievements and their facilities.
Nigerians need to realize that sports can be a career choice and therefore the facilities to train
for this profession should be accessible. Sports need to be shown as a viable career choice
not just an activity for enjoyment and physical fitness.

I believe that if sports (other than football) can be shown to be a money earner within Nigeria, it can
be revived, but in the meanwhile the economic condition and mismanagement by education and
sports authorities is what is killing sports back home.

Soothsayer, sport is also a buisness and professional choice. You will notice that some of the most successful entrepreneurs are active sport people.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Mr. Piffington wrote:

What happenned?
Nigeria happened.
Kpom kwem.

The state of our sports mirrors everything else in that country
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

What happenned?
Kongi are you referring to CE's Fleddy? He was a top sprinter right from Staff School to ISI. He was also he good footballer, one of the best dribblers I have ever seen. He was nicknamed "igbin" i.e.snail because he was slippery. He was one of my childhood buddies and now lives in the States. He could have become anything he wanted to be in both sports because he was naturally talented.
I am happy