Moderator: Moderator Team

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Nigerian Official Bitter Over N2 Billion Olympic Money

Post by Damunk »

Riversboy wrote:
realtrouble wrote:The people will follow the leadership given to them
leadership and rulership are two different things.

Under Apartheid, the Tambos, Sisulus, Madelas were the leaders of the blacks, even though the Government were their rulers. Who are our leaders today? I submit that you and I, in our small capacities, have been blessed with the tools to lead that impoverished populace, but we have sold that birthright for the more comfortable Right To Complain.

All over the world, we hear of popular uprisings replacing corrupt and oppressive regimes either by the ballot (Ukraine, Kenya), the bullet (Romania, Uganda), or protest (Egypt, Poland). The real leaderships in those countries stood up against the government.

We who are privileged to be in the middle class (at home or abroad), to be in the diaspora beyond economic control of the Nigerian Government, to be well educated, to be connected, WE are the leadership. If our influence is not felt in how Nigeria works, it is because we have CHOSEN to be absent from the public space. We have consented to being bullied out by these same corrupt rulers we condemn and look down on everyday. If we made our presence felt in the public space, I guarantee we will find that some of our less fortunate brethren would follow our lead.

But it's easier to call our thieving rulers "leaders", and blame them.

RB.
God Bless You Sir! KPOM to infinity!!! :thumbs:

You (and others) might care to read this most interesting CE discussion on this very topic from back in 2007:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=95299
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

its not money its commitment, yes its true that Britain spent extra money but that because they were the host nation and wanted to participate in as many sports as possible... they had as many failures as successes.. i.e basketball. The key here is organisation and long term planning and commitment, commitment not just from the authorities but also the competitors and the families... how many times have you heard of talented people in Nigeria who parents discourage them or not even support them. Every one of the guys who won a medal had parents who made sacrifices to their own personal comfort, not all the athletes had funding you know, some had to travel distances to get training. Are Nigerian parents willing to take such risks to their time, social life, financial future to see if their child can win a gold medal in Olympics?
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

Damunk wrote:
Riversboy wrote:

Under Apartheid, the Tambos, Sisulus, Madelas were the leaders of the blacks, even though the Government were their rulers. Who are our leaders today? I submit that you and I, in our small capacities, have been blessed with the tools to lead that impoverished populace, but we have sold that birthright for the more comfortable Right To Complain.

All over the world, we hear of popular uprisings replacing corrupt and oppressive regimes either by the ballot (Ukraine, Kenya), the bullet (Romania, Uganda), or protest (Egypt, Poland). The real leaderships in those countries stood up against the government.

We who are privileged to be in the middle class (at home or abroad), to be in the diaspora beyond economic control of the Nigerian Government, to be well educated, to be connected, WE are the leadership. If our influence is not felt in how Nigeria works, it is because we have CHOSEN to be absent from the public space. We have consented to being bullied out by these same corrupt rulers we condemn and look down on everyday. If we made our presence felt in the public space, I guarantee we will find that some of our less fortunate brethren would follow our lead.

RB.

You (and others) might care to read this most interesting CE discussion on this very topic from back in 2007:

Just read that whole thread. Most interesting indeed.

I think a lot of people get defensive once they feel they are being blamed for Nigeria's woes. Also, they feel sharing the blame somehow exculpates the looting ruling class. Feelings :lol:

The whole nation has to take a hard look in the mirror. If we are not the ones who loot the treasury, misgovern, and neglect, then we are the ones who put them there by action or inaction. Then, leaving aside the government angle, there are so many things that private individuals and groups can do to improve the things we so vocally claim to care about.

Whenever I am about to complain about something in Nigeria, I ask myself, "what can I do in spite of the useless people, and am I doing it?" When it comes to Sport, I have not done all I can, but I have done some. We all have to push ourselves.

Some would ask "why should we put the blame/responsibility on ourselves when there are people whose job it is?" A fair point, but one must realise that with all due respect to Spiderman, with great responsibility comes great power. Each time you take on something extra for the good of the nation, you earn the loyalty of those who benefit. The negligence of the Nigerian government presents us with an opportunity to develop the kinds of ties and problem-solving organisations that can eventually develop into a political force capable of checkmating the system.

RB.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: is this what we celebrate these days, nutmeg?
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Riversboy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Riversboy wrote:

RB.

I think a lot of people get defensive once they feel they are being blamed for Nigeria's woes. Also, they feel sharing the blame somehow exculpates the looting ruling class. Feelings :lol:

The whole nation has to take a hard look in the mirror. If we are not the ones who loot the treasury, misgovern, and neglect, then we are the ones who put them there by action or inaction. Then, leaving aside the government angle, there are so many things that private individuals and groups can do to improve the things we so vocally claim to care about.

Whenever I am about to complain about something in Nigeria, I ask myself, "what can I do in spite of the useless people, and am I doing it?" When it comes to Sport, I have not done all I can, but I have done some. We all have to push ourselves.

Some would ask "why should we put the blame/responsibility on ourselves when there are people whose job it is?" A fair point, but one must realise that with all due respect to Spiderman, with great responsibility comes great power. Each time you take on something extra for the good of the nation, you earn the loyalty of those who benefit. The negligence of the Nigerian government presents us with an opportunity to develop the kinds of ties and problem-solving organisations that can eventually develop into a political force capable of checkmating the system.

RB.
You don't know what you are talking. There are people paid to do the job of governing Nigeria, that's why we have a democratic system of government. The fact that the democratic system is failing should tell you something that is beyond your so called commitment and determination.

It's statement like this that hold Nigeria back as a nation, it's weak statement, RiverBoy and demonstrate that you have no idea how an organised and civilize society functions. We all have separate and individual roles and commitment, you should only put yourself forward for leadership if you have the ability and intellect to lead, any failure within the organisation and you the leader will be held accountable. That's why leaders of major organisation like Barclay bank (Bob Diamond) are fired whenever they demonstrate poor leadership during crises.

Without vision people perish...CC
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

realtrouble wrote:
Riversboy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Riversboy wrote:

RB.

RB.
You don't know what you are talking. There are people paid to do the job of governing Nigeria, that's why we have a democratic system of government. The fact that the democratic system is failing should tell you something that is beyond your so called commitment and determination.

It's statement like this that hold Nigeria back as a nation, it's weak statement, RiverBoy and demonstrate that you have no idea how an organised and civilize society functions. We all have separate and individual roles and commitment, you should only put yourself forward for leadership if you have the ability and intellect to lead, any failure within the organisation and you the leader will be held accountable. That's why leaders of major organisation like Barclay bank (Bob Diamond) are fired whenever they demonstrate poor leadership during crises.

Why can't you debate like an adult instead of some juvenile? He doesnt know what he is talking about because his view is different from yours?
Wonderful.
If they put you in front of a TV and this is how you carry yourself you'd end up making a fool of not only yourself, but those that spent money to send you to school. :roll:
Nonsense. Even if you have a good point, you are making a bad case of it.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Damunk wrote:
realtrouble wrote:
Riversboy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Riversboy wrote:

RB.

RB.

Why can't you debate like an adult instead of some juvenile? He doesnt know what he is talking about because his view is different from yours?
Wonderful.
If they put you in front of a TV and this is how you carry yourself you'd end up making a fool of not only yourself, but those that spent money to send you to school. :roll:
Damunk, I've been doing this with RT. I stopped vos I realised he d no idea of what Nigeria is all about and he had no idead that he had no idea. All he does is to promote himself.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Damunk wrote:
realtrouble wrote:
Riversboy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Riversboy wrote:

RB.

RB.

Wonderful.

I have no choice but to be honest with both you and RB, the mere fact that you are making elementary statements that all Nigerian are accountable for a bad system force onto them, requires that response. Sorry if it hurts you.
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

realtrouble wrote:
Riversboy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Riversboy wrote:

RB.

RB.
The system is failing because not enough of the would-be elite are doing enough to save it. This is usually down to two reasons: profiteering from the decay, or a delusion that our own actions cannot make a difference, the latter of which you are seemingly guilty.
realtrouble wrote: It's statement like this that hold Nigeria back as a nation, it's weak statement, RiverBoy and demonstrate that you have no idea how an organised and civilize society functions. We all have separate and individual roles and commitment, you should only put yourself forward for leadership if you have the ability and intellect to lead, any failure within the organisation and you the leader will be held accountable. That's why leaders of major organisation like Barclay bank (Bob Diamond) are fired whenever they demonstrate poor leadership during crises.
That's exactly the point: held accountable by whom? Only the people/stakeholders within the organization can be expected to hold bad leaders/rulers accountable. Part of the problem in Nigeria is that our rulers are NOT held accountable. Now, we can wring our hands and condemn the country's system for not having mechanism by which to hold them accountable, and we would be right. But that is an endeavour that yields no results. It is more important that we attempt to reshape or hijack the system to make that accountability possible. If our leaders are robbing us blind and misruling, we ought to do something about it. That is just simple survival.

To say, as you do, that we all have roles to play, and failure of the organization is the ruler's fault, and we shouldn't look at what we can do to hold them accountable is to sell your birthright. Nobody was born to lead a society, and many who end up taking leadership roles were using that intelligence and aptitude for other purposes until they realised their nations were going to Hell in a handbasket, and something needed to be done. If you see that government is corrupt and unwilling to do the things you NEED government to do, you have three options:

a. change your government
b. bypass your government
c. *Nice Lady* and moan

Nigeria is in trouble because our governments are bad, and because option c is the easiest one for the leaders of our communities, religious institutions, social groups, professional organizations, and social discourse.

Are we really saying that a small percentage of this nation of 100+ million, that small percentage that is in government, is holding the country hostage, and we are powerless to do anything as their rot destroys EVERY aspect of Nigerian society, including sport? If that's the case, then to paraphrase Marcus Garvey, if we cannot do what other Men have done, what other People have done, What other Nations have done, then we had better die. God help us then if ours were the generation that had to battle for independence against a colonial power that controlled all the levers of government.

RB.
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Riversboy wrote:
realtrouble wrote:
Riversboy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Riversboy wrote:

RB.

RB.
The system is failing because not enough of the would-be elite are doing enough to save it. This is usually down to two reasons: profiteering from the decay, or a delusion that our own actions cannot make a difference, the latter of which you are seemingly guilty.
realtrouble wrote: It's statement like this that hold Nigeria back as a nation, it's weak statement, RiverBoy and demonstrate that you have no idea how an organised and civilize society functions. We all have separate and individual roles and commitment, you should only put yourself forward for leadership if you have the ability and intellect to lead, any failure within the organisation and you the leader will be held accountable. That's why leaders of major organisation like Barclay bank (Bob Diamond) are fired whenever they demonstrate poor leadership during crises.
That's exactly the point: held accountable by whom? Only the people/stakeholders within the organization can be expected to hold bad leaders/rulers accountable. Part of the problem in Nigeria is that our rulers are NOT held accountable. Now, we can wring our hands and condemn the country's system for not having mechanism by which to hold them accountable, and we would be right. But that is an endeavour that yields no results. It is more important that we attempt to reshape or hijack the system to make that accountability possible. If our leaders are robbing us blind and misruling, we ought to do something about it. That is just simple survival.

To say, as you do, that we all have roles to play, and failure of the organization is the ruler's fault, and we shouldn't look at what we can do to hold them accountable is to sell your birthright. Nobody was born to lead a society, and many who end up taking leadership roles were using that intelligence and aptitude for other purposes until they realised their nations were going to Hell in a handbasket, and something needed to be done. If you see that government is corrupt and unwilling to do the things you NEED government to do, you have three options:

a. change your government
b. bypass your government
c. #$%$* and moan

Nigeria is in trouble because our governments are bad, and because option c is the easiest one for the leaders of our communities, religious institutions, social groups, professional organizations, and social discourse.

Are we really saying that a small percentage of this nation of 100+ million, that small percentage that is in government, is holding the country hostage, and we are powerless to do anything as their rot destroys EVERY aspect of Nigerian society, including sport? If that's the case, then to paraphrase Marcus Garvey, if we cannot do what other Men have done, what other People have done, What other Nations have done, then we had better die. God help us then if ours were the generation that had to battle for independence against a colonial power that controlled all the levers of government.

RB.
This is a quote written by CIC on the old thread
The old "everybody is to blame" chestnut is a very sly way of saying nobody is at fault. When you spread blame across to all and sundry, it means that just a thin layer of it touches everyone. So essentially, no one is to blame. This allows the architects of our misfortune to feel good and deflect attention from themselves by proclaiming a "pox on all our houses". This sort of attitude actually helps prolong the malaise, with most people shrugging and accepting it is a universal problem and being resigned to the notion that there is nothing that could be done about it.

Reality is, as always, a different story. Our messed up condition is as a result of historical processes, deliberately constructed designs by those who control those processes, and policies, laws and organisations, that are put in place to maintain the status quo and serve the people that benefit from our messed up situation, at the expense of the majority. These include the deployment of a wide range of forces, from naked brute force to propaganda through an education system that serves to perpetuate those conditions and other more subtle forms of mind control - such as claims that everyone is at fault.
I rest my case. We know those that are responsible and in time the change will start when the people begin to raise up against their rulers "leaders" . To fix the problem you need to identify the main culprits, as you cannot punish 150 million Nigeria that have been led astray.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

country of 169 million!!! Nothing!!!!! 2 billions spent, someone definitely profited at Nigeria expense, its an absolute disgrace but then again, you reap what you sow, end of!!!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

realtrouble wrote: I rest my case. We know those that are responsible and in time the change will start when the people begin to raise up against their rulers "leaders" . To fix the problem you need to identify the main culprits, as you cannot punish 150 million Nigeria that have been led astray.
That is the whole point. The change will only come if and when people rise up, as you put it. So if the people fail to rise up, are they not delaying the change?

This "rising up" is not going to be some spontaneous -forgive the pun- uprising. It is born of conscious, willful efforts by everyday people, to start saying "no" in their own small ways, and banding together to say "no" in increasingly bigger ways. If you are waiting for them to blow whistle for a "Nigerian Spring", it will never start. It starts with each of us. Some of us have already started.

RB.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

realtrouble wrote: I have no choice but to be honest with both you and RB, the mere fact that you are making elementary statements that all Nigerian are accountable for a bad system force onto them, requires that response. Sorry if it hurts you.
It doesn't hurt me at all. Why would you even think that?
All you do is show yourself up.
It hurts you far more. :lol:
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Damunk wrote:
realtrouble wrote: I have no choice but to be honest with both you and RB, the mere fact that you are making elementary statements that all Nigerian are accountable for a bad system force onto them, requires that response. Sorry if it hurts you.
It doesn't hurt me at all. Why would you even think that?
All you do is show yourself up.
It hurts you far more. :lol:
Egbon, Enjoy the Olympics of a well run country. No insult intended.
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

@RB, e be like say you be winsh. Using my thoughts to make sense.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Riversboy wrote:

RB.
TBH,

You guys are just giving our government excuses, I remember an Ambassador to the UK asking us the same question, it is the same questions the thieving poiliticiqns are asking us.

I think whne people start to parrot the excuses of the thieving classes maybe they need to be looking at themselves in the mirrror as they maybe part of the thieving elites :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Nigerians I know are some of the most hard working in the world, they are accomodating and they will give all their efforts for the country, We continues to be the highest number in diaspora that continue to send remit home, and we daily continue to risk our lives to invest in the country. We have seen doctors, nurses consultants kidnapped maimed daily and we still continue to send money back home and go home to invest. Its an insult for someone to ask what we are doing an average person on this site goes to naija three times a year to invest the little he has, he has no dealings with government just trying to do his little bit and it smacks of insult for someone to be asking his what he is doing. Our parents worked for the country all their lives to receive their pension they die while queueing and someone is asking this same person what has he done for the country :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

We follow our teams all over the world to support them, I see the like of Gotti come all the way from Yankee to see Ghanaba beat Nigeria.

We are a great Nation that the all mighty has blesssed with abundance resources and we have no excuse, those in charge that are not performinmg needs to be called out, nobody came to your house to beg you to contest, The parable I always use for naija is the parable of the man who hid his talent, he was sent to hell as Jesus flet he under sold himself that is the current case with Nigeria, God wil ask our leaders what did they do with the country.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

Prince, I am not giving an excuse for the thieving elite.

I think maybe the point I am making is too subtle, and it is getting people upset because they "feel" blamed for the crimes of others.

My point is simple: if the rulers are the cause of all our problems, and they will not improve, we either have to work towards throwing the bums out, OR we have to look for ways to bypass them to get the specific results we want.

Let us narrow it down to Olympics. We are all upset. We are all rightfully pointing out that the Sports Ministry is neglecting their duties. We have been making the same complaints every 4 years, and the Ministry and NOC are getting worse. Since we are obviously unable to pressure them into doing the right thing, and since it obviously is such a big deal to us, the time has come to say "screw government", and look for particular ways we can help the athletes directly, because that is in our power. It does not take the politicians off the hook. It condemns them all the more.

RB.
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

Prince wrote:
TBH,
it smacks of insult for someone to be asking his what he is doing. Our parents worked for the country all their lives to receive their pension they die while queueing and someone is asking this same person what has he done for the country :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Your reaction is knee-jerk. Nobody is asking "what have you done for the country". We are asking "what have we done for the sports program".
Prince wrote: We follow our teams all over the world to support them, I see the like of Gotti come all the way from Yankee to see Ghanaba beat Nigeria.
That is all commendable. But you and I both know that to see results, those of us who want what is best for the country MUST insert ourselves into the grassroot programs. Since we are not strong enough to change/replace the government, we need to rescue the programs from government, rather than merely criticize government (which we do anyway. All of us in this discussion have criticized government on the olympics).
Prince wrote: The parable I always use for naija is the parable of the man who hid his talent, he was sent to hell as Jesus flet he under sold himself that is the current case with Nigeria, God wil ask our leaders what did they do with the country.
Me, Im not waiting for the judgment day, as that would be cold comfort to the Nigerians suffering in the system today.

Criticizing the government is necessary. However, it is also easy and insufficient. Something more is needed. Again to my broken record: overthrow them or bypass them.

RB.