Moderator: Moderator Team

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigerian Official Bitter Over N2 Billion Olympic Money

Post by marko »

realtrouble wrote:
Damunk wrote:
marko wrote:well i will presume as someone said, it sat in an account for interest to accrue for months before releasing the funds, it was probabaly shared by senior officials, nothing can work in Nigeria as far as these types of people keep on getting these jobs
The problem is, 'these type of people' are Nigerians - like you.
They all think and claim they are 'different' until the moment they are exposed to power - and then its GAME OVER.
They might be Nigerian, but they are not like me, I live and work in a result oriented environment and I must deliver successful results. The Nigerian running Nigeria sports, will never , I repeat never , last 1 month in my working environment.
Sorry i come from a different environment that these types of people i am referring to, i got to where i am today through sheer hard work and grit and a lot of personal sacrifices!! As real trouble pointed out, these types of individuals will not survive one day in my working environment, i am more a result oriented individual, problem with nigeria is too many semi average mediocre people get jobs which is way above their mental capabilities!! Due to corruption or patronage from friends and fellow crooks, so the end result is always expected with total failure!!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Minister proffers panacea for Nigeria sports

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/mini ... ia-sports/

By Tony Ubani reporting from London

As part of the hard lessons from the London 2012 Olympics, Sports Minister Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi has identified five priorities that would turn our sports around and catapult the country to the position she can be proud of in future Games.

They include; identifying five sports that give Team Nigeria competitive opportunities, restructuring the federations of these sports to make them more democratic, accountable and efficient.

Developing a sports calendar that will ensure all-year-round sports activities both within and outside the schools. Strategic engagement with the private sector with the aim to improve funding for sports and strengthen the coaching and training capabilities by developing strategic partnership with national and international bodies.

He noted that the process of rebuilding will start with the National Sports Festival in Lagos. ‘’We shall use this event to flag-off our preparation for the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow and thereafter the 2016 Olympics in Brazil”, he said.
Last edited by MI5 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

To be honest, the man is making sense. But no be sense alone we go chop.
I like where he said "you don't win medals by praying". :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

marko wrote:
realtrouble wrote:
Damunk wrote:
marko wrote:well i will presume as someone said, it sat in an account for interest to accrue for months before releasing the funds, it was probabaly shared by senior officials, nothing can work in Nigeria as far as these types of people keep on getting these jobs
They all think and claim they are 'different' until the moment they are exposed to power - and then its GAME OVER.
They might be Nigerian, but they are not like me, I live and work in a result oriented environment and I must deliver successful results. The Nigerian running Nigeria sports, will never , I repeat never , last 1 month in my working environment.
Sorry i come from a different environment that these types of people i am referring to, i got to where i am today through sheer hard work and grit and a lot of personal sacrifices!! As real trouble pointed out, these types of individuals will not survive one day in my working environment, i am more a result oriented individual, problem with nigeria is too many semi average mediocre people get jobs which is way above their mental capabilities!! Due to corruption or patronage from friends and fellow crooks, so the end result is always expected with total failure!!
You people are funny, and as long as we fail or refuse to cast a forensic eye on the 'Nigerian Factor ' we will never get to understand corruption in that country. Do we as a people even truly recognise what corruption is and how not only it affects us all, but how we are all partaking in it?
So you guys truly believe that the vast majority of Nigeria 's notoriously corrupt leaders of government, industry, churches etc have never worked in cut throat competitive markets all over the world and even excelled? :lol:

You think it is simply down to 'mediocrity'?
Then you have failed before u have even begun.
CE has dedicated not a few threads to highlight how corruption and incompetence even in the private sector have eaten so deep it is now part of the 'culture'.

Part of our problem is that we are so busy pointing fingers at 'government' that we totally forget that these people did not drop from Mars, but have come from within us. They were once just like us and many are our brothers, uncles, aunties, sisters, colleagues and friends. Once upon a time they might even have been our fathers, or even still are. Has anybody ever heard of a Nigerian challenging or taking a stand against open corruption within the family or even rejecting it outright?
Would anyone here shop their own father for stealing public funds?
Never.

The problem is far deeper than 'medicrity' and is a societal problem. You, I and ever one of us here are by acts of commission or omission, contributing to the problem.

It's like there are no mirrors in Nigeria.
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

Damunk wrote:
marko wrote:
realtrouble wrote:
Damunk wrote:
You people are funny, and as long as we fail or refuse to cast a forensic eye on the 'Nigerian Factor ' we will never get to understand corruption in that country. Do we as a people even truly recognise what corruption is and how not only it affects us all, but how we are all partaking in it?
So you guys truly believe that the vast majority of Nigeria 's notoriously corrupt leaders of government, industry, churches etc have never worked in cut throat competitive markets all over the world and even excelled? :lol:

You think it is simply down to 'mediocrity'?
Then you have failed before u have even begun.
CE has dedicated not a few threads to highlight how corruption and incompetence even in the private sector have eaten so deep it is now part of the 'culture'.

Part of our problem is that we are so busy pointing fingers at 'government' that we totally forget that these people did not drop from Mars, but have come from within us. They were once just like us and many are our brothers, uncles, aunties, sisters, colleagues and friends. Once upon a time they might even have been our fathers, or even still are. Has anybody ever heard of a Nigerian challenging or taking a stand against open corruption within the family or even rejecting it outright?
Would anyone here shop their own father for stealing public funds?
Never.

The problem is far deeper than 'medicrity' and is a societal problem. You, I and ever one of us here are by acts of commission or omission, contributing to the problem.

It's like there are no mirrors in Nigeria.
There is enough KPOM in damunks post to knock a dreamliner engine.

RB.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: is this what we celebrate these days, nutmeg?
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

fair enough these guys did not drop from mars, they are Nigerians, but at the same time, someone must have given an illiterate like Ibori an opportunity to become governot despite the fact he is a certified armed robber and a petty thief, why not give opportunities to others that can do a similar job like Fashola?? there are thousands out there in Nigeria, capable, competent but they will never see the light of the day because these types of individuals will not allow them to loot funds
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

marko wrote:fair enough these guys did not drop from mars, they are Nigerians, but at the same time, someone must have given an illiterate like Ibori an opportunity to become governot despite the fact he is a certified armed robber and a petty thief, why not give opportunities to others that can do a similar job like Fashola?? there are thousands out there in Nigeria, capable, competent but they will never see the light of the day because these types of individuals will not allow them to loot funds
They dropped from Mars, Leave Damunk trying to lump everybody together, there are Nigerinas with integrity that still exist unfotunately the one in power are ready to murder, bribe to get to power, not all Nigerians are willing to do that, How many people are you willing to kill to contest an election?

The rest of us just want a level playing field with a government that does not directly goes against those that wants to invest inthe county or that are actually making efforts in the country.

We have to bribe to invest in our own country!!!

Most dont even want anything from the government just provide security, power, we are willing to do more ourselves.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Prince wrote:
marko wrote:fair enough these guys did not drop from mars, they are Nigerians, but at the same time, someone must have given an illiterate like Ibori an opportunity to become governot despite the fact he is a certified armed robber and a petty thief, why not give opportunities to others that can do a similar job like Fashola?? there are thousands out there in Nigeria, capable, competent but they will never see the light of the day because these types of individuals will not allow them to loot funds
They dropped from Mars, Leave Damunk trying to lump everybody together, there are Nigerinas with integrity that still exist unfotunately the one in power are ready to murder, bribe to get to power, not all Nigerians are willing to do that, How many people are you willing to kill to contest an election?

The rest of us just want a level playing field with a government that does not directly goes against those that wants to invest inthe county or that are actually making efforts in the country.

Most dont even want anything from the government just provide security, power, we are willing to do more ourselves.
could not have put this any better :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Marko
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Prince wrote:

KPOM!,

I refuse to response to post that use the excuse, that it's the Nigerian factor that is holding us back.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote:To be honest, the man is making sense. But no be sense alone we go chop.
He is not making any sense...

How much money Jamaica get?

The tin way dey frustrate me is dis notion say na prayer go save us even if we no prepare or decide to employ our "Wait-and-Take" approach...

Pesin no dey learn athletics for old age... neither do you learn any sports at an old age to the point that you a World Champion calibre...

Make them start with the basics... REVIVE SCHOOL SPORTS and reintroduce Inter-House Sports at our schools... they might be surprised that the athletes representing us might not even be our best athletes...

I love sports, you get exactly what you put in...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

realtrouble wrote:
Prince wrote:

KPOM!,

I refuse to response to post that use the excuse, that it's the Nigerian factor that is holding us back.
That's NOT THE POINT my friend.
It is the REFUSAL OF NIGERIANS TO TAKE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for corruption in the country.
Can I make it any clearer?
ITS ALWAYS SOMEBODY ELSE'S FAULT.

Look around you, and point out how many people you can bet your life or mortgage on that will not let you down if they were put in a position of power.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:To be honest, the man is making sense. But no be sense alone we go chop.

The tin way dey frustrate me is dis notion say na prayer go save us even if we no prepare or decide to employ our "Wait-and-Take" approach...

Pesin no dey learn athletics for old age... neither do you learn any sports at an old age to the point that you a World Champion calibre...

Make them start with the basics... REVIVE SCHOOL SPORTS and reintroduce Inter-House Sports at our schools... they might be surprised that the athletes representing us might not even be our best athletes...

Like I said...greed & planning.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Damunk wrote:
realtrouble wrote:
Prince wrote:

KPOM!,

It is the REFUSAL OF NIGERIANS TO TAKE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for corruption in the country.

Look around you, and point out how many people you can bet your life or mortgage on that will not let you down if they were put in a position of power.
“Civilization is not by any means an easy thing to attain to. There are only two ways by which man can reach it. One is by being cultured, the other by being corrupt.”
Oscar Wilde quotes (Irish Poet, Novelist, Dramatist and Critic, 1854-1900)
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Damunk wrote:
realtrouble wrote:
Prince wrote:

KPOM!,

Damunk, people ought to be individually responsible...this is true. However, human nature is such that no matter the society you find yourself, if there's no guidance, there's chaos. We used to joke about Nigeria being organized chaos years ago, now it's just chaos. And that's not a matter of it being somebody else's fault, that's straight up failure by successions of government.
I've seen Liberia and Sierra Leone in the heat of their wars, people still had some sense of order. Nigeria's govts have not only failed but they've perpetuated a culture of laziness and disregard for law, 'shortcut-ism', and absolute lack of planning. It's not individuals you blame, there's a role government is supposed to play and it isnt/hasnt done it. If you want to blame individuals, the only blame to ascribe is that the people have failed to revolt...but that's another debate entirely.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cellular wrote:

Isnt what you are saying exactly what the man said. In fact, you are plagiarising him! BTW, he said prayers DON'T work, and not the other way round. :idea:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

platinum wrote:Damunk, people ought to be individually responsible...this is true. However, human nature is such that no matter the society you find yourself, if there's no guidance, there's chaos. We used to joke about Nigeria being organized chaos years ago, now it's just chaos. And that's not a matter of it being somebody else's fault, that's straight up failure by successions of government.
I've seen Liberia and Sierra Leone in the heat of their wars, people still had some sense of order. Nigeria's govts have not only failed but they've perpetuated a culture of laziness and disregard for law, 'shortcut-ism', and absolute lack of planning. It's not individuals you blame, there's a role government is supposed to play and it isnt/hasnt done it. If you want to blame individuals, the only blame to ascribe is that the people have failed to revolt...but that's another debate entirely.
Platinum, if the debate here is that Damunk is exonerating government, then you guys are arguing with yourselves.
If I am arguing with you believing you are saying that the Nigerian people have little or no role to play in ensuring not only our sports, but every facet of our society should be totally intolerant of corruption, then tell me I am wrong.

What I am saying is just that simply we have got the government we deserve because we have allowed it and by the vast majority of us keeping silent, we have allowed the minority of evil misleaders to prosper.
Its about time we all started looking at ourselves critically and quit diverting attention by exclusively focussing on corrupt governments. If we hate corruption so much, it would have no place in our governments in the first place.
The reason it not only exists, but thrives, is because we are complacent about it, even condone it.
Why are we complacent?
You tell me.

Wedda na Goodluck Jonathan dey instruct us say we must to bribe LASMA after driving down a one-way street. :roll:
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Damunk wrote:
platinum wrote:Damunk, people ought to be individually responsible...this is true. However, human nature is such that no matter the society you find yourself, if there's no guidance, there's chaos. We used to joke about Nigeria being organized chaos years ago, now it's just chaos. And that's not a matter of it being somebody else's fault, that's straight up failure by successions of government.
Platinum, if the debate here is that Damunk is exonerating government, then you guys are arguing with yourselves.
If I am arguing with you believing you are saying that the Nigerian people have little or no role to play in ensuring not only our sports, but every facet of our society should be totally intolerant of corruption, then tell me I am wrong.

What I am saying is just that simply we have got the government we deserve because we have allowed it and by the vast majority of us keeping silent, we have allowed the minority of evil misleaders to prosper.
Its about time we all started looking at ourselves critically and quit diverting attention by exclusively focussing on corrupt governments. If we hate corruption so much, it would have no place in our governments in the first place.
The reason it not only exists, but thrives, is because we are complacent about it, even condone it.
Why are we complacent?
You tell me.

Wedda na Goodluck Jonathan dey instruct us say we must to bribe LASMA after driving down a one-way street. :roll:
The point you made in italics is where you and I defer...
While I agree that we are lazy and foolish for taking the shortcut in a situation like that... My point is it is the government that created an environment to enable such things.
The government is the stick that whips the people into shape. Like I said humans no matter where will tend towards the chaotic side when left to their own devices.

Of course it's wrong to bribe, but when nothing is done about it then it becomes the norm. While people inherently know it's wrong, there is no motivation to do better. The government is the rudder that steers society.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

all nigerians ask for is the government to provide basic infrastructure and services, the Nigerian enterprise nature will do the rest, cant really understand anyone could say we are part of the problem

Marko
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

platinum wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Why are we complacent?
You tell me.

The point you made in italics is where you and I defer...
While I agree that we are lazy and foolish for taking the shortcut in a situation like that... My point is it is the government that created an environment to enable such things.
The government is the stick that whips the people into shape. Like I said humans no matter where will tend towards the chaotic side when left to their own devices.
It is a two way street. Government and the people are meant to check each other's excesses. In Nigeria, neither are doing the job. It is naive to expect the Leviathan that is Government not to go astray if the people it is meant to serve are unwilling to put a ring through its nose. Governments are run by politicians and bureaucrats, who the world over are united by the goal of accumulating as much power as possible while doing as little work as possible. When government does not fear its people (whether it's fear of the next election, or fear of criticism, or fear of rebellion), Government will usually stop serving them.

Talk to your average Nigerian senator, reps member, etc when there are no cameras (as I have opportunity to), and you realise the contempt with which they hold the citizenry, especially the "radical" critics in academia, press, diaspora and internet. Their disdain is because we are mostly talk and little action. If they are so bad, why can't we get rid of them?

Long before 2005 when I moved back home, I would join in long and heated conversations about the direction we were/were not going. I continued this exercise when I moved back. When I got tired of complaining and decided to get politically active, many of my fellow complainers tried to discourage me. The most common sentiment was that politics is a game for the unprincipled and the morally bankrupt, and that one sullied one's hands simply by getting involved. It is a very comfortable "we are good, they are bad" outlook, that if not checked will lull us to inaction while we die, like hypothermia. This system we complain about everyday exists simply because those of us who (think we) know better are on the sidelines, refusing to challenge those who (we think) don't care. Refusing to challenge them at the only game in town, the one that determines how EVERYTHING works: politics.

Wilde has been quoted here. I will quote Edmund Burke: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." I will follow up with Shakespeare: "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

Our Sports system doesn't work because Naija doesn't work.
Naija doesn't work because Government doesn't work.
Government doesn't work because the people don't hold Government accountable.

RB.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Riversboy, kpom to your post. Government is useless but...............

NBA for many years was not able to conduct a free and fair election. We had the bunch of radicals there. INEC was not the one organising the election. What went wrong? You can replace NBA with NANS, ASUU, NUJ, etc. So issue is not just problem but people. Easy to male noise on the internet what difference have they made when granted the opportunity.

Someone mentioned Fashola and I cannot but laugh. Fasholas success is not because of absence of corruption! Because he is not in jail does not make him a saint.

The leaders did not drop from heaven. They are a reflection of who we are as a people. We want to reap where we did not sow. We want short cut to success. We want to take advantage of others and the system. We hardly think of the common good. We are all talk and no action. We all are guilty.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Riversboy wrote: It is a two way street. Government and the people are meant to check each other's excesses. In Nigeria, neither are doing the job. It is naive to expect the Leviathan that is Government not to go astray if the people it is meant to serve are unwilling to put a ring through its nose. Governments are run by politicians and bureaucrats, who the world over are united by the goal of accumulating as much power as possible while doing as little work as possible. When government does not fear its people (whether it's fear of the next election, or fear of criticism, or fear of rebellion), Government will usually stop serving them.

Talk to your average Nigerian senator, reps member, etc when there are no cameras (as I have opportunity to), and you realise the contempt with which they hold the citizenry, especially the "radical" critics in academia, press, diaspora and internet. Their disdain is because we are mostly talk and little action. If they are so bad, why can't we get rid of them?

Long before 2005 when I moved back home, I would join in long and heated conversations about the direction we were/were not going. I continued this exercise when I moved back. When I got tired of complaining and decided to get politically active, many of my fellow complainers tried to discourage me. The most common sentiment was that politics is a game for the unprincipled and the morally bankrupt, and that one sullied one's hands simply by getting involved. It is a very comfortable "we are good, they are bad" outlook, that if not checked will lull us to inaction while we die, like hypothermia. This system we complain about everyday exists simply because those of us who (think we) know better are on the sidelines, refusing to challenge those who (we think) don't care. Refusing to challenge them at the only game in town, the one that determines how EVERYTHING works: politics.

Wilde has been quoted here. I will quote Edmund Burke: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." I will follow up with Shakespeare: "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

Our Sports system doesn't work because Naija doesn't work.
Naija doesn't work because Government doesn't work.
Government doesn't work because the people don't hold Government accountable.

RB.
Your observations are valid.

I always laugh when Nigeria's 'problem' is simplified as corruption. Corruption is a problem but ignorance is the biggest problem in Nigeria. We talk as if we know but usually we don't know. Very few people who follow Olympics continue to give the same reasons for our failures after every four years. Our relative success is even dismissed as unfitting for our size or population. I will agree with many that School sports is the way forward. To compete at Olympics level needs massive funding and top class technology. Cheating is widespread in competitive sports so we need to find a way to be competitive without infringing on the rules.

People say we have Ijaw that can compete in Swimming but are ignorant of the fact that all but a few of our current Men's swimming records are poorer than Women's records in the World and several in Africa. We can compete in Weightlifting, Taekwondo, Boxing, etc but a lot of the times, the competition is using more than natural abilities. We need to have competitions at home for secondary schools and universities where world class record keeping is used.
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

The people will follow the leadership given to them, if the leaders are corrupt then the people will be corrupt. It's not as if Nigerian have not been bless with leaders of integrity in the pass.
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

realtrouble wrote:The people will follow the leadership given to them
leadership and rulership are two different things.

Under Apartheid, the Tambos, Sisulus, Madelas were the leaders of the blacks, even though the Government were their rulers. Who are our leaders today? I submit that you and I, in our small capacities, have been blessed with the tools to lead that impoverished populace, but we have sold that birthright for the more comfortable Right To Complain.

All over the world, we hear of popular uprisings replacing corrupt and oppressive regimes either by the ballot (Ukraine, Kenya), the bullet (Romania, Uganda), or protest (Egypt, Poland). The real leaderships in those countries stood up against the government.

We who are privileged to be in the middle class (at home or abroad), to be in the diaspora beyond economic control of the Nigerian Government, to be well educated, to be connected, WE are the leadership. If our influence is not felt in how Nigeria works, it is because we have CHOSEN to be absent from the public space. We have consented to being bullied out by these same corrupt rulers we condemn and look down on everyday. If we made our presence felt in the public space, I guarantee we will find that some of our less fortunate brethren would follow our lead.

But it's easier to call our thieving rulers "leaders", and blame them.

RB.