Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NIGERIA'S FINAL MEDAL COUNT

Post by Cristao II »

Babafad wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Babafad wrote:
Cristao II wrote:I ask again what are we going to do to solve this mess. Continue pointing fingers and using us vs them. We are closer to them than you think.
By pointing fingers, he is in fact DOING something about it, unlike you who seems to be quite content with the status quo.
We have been pointing fingers and whinging for thirty years...or even more.
So are we now expecting a different outcome? :o
War of attrition in full effect. Those who have ears, let them hear.

Doing something is better than doing nothing. For someone to come out with stuff like - "winning doesn't matter, it's the taking part that counts" (Sir Cristao), that's where our problem really lies.

Comments like that remind me of what my mum says, these day. When ever I call home (Naija) and ask how are things and do you have electricity today. She tends to answer, "whatever the situation is, we are used to it"........and so their "suffering" continues.

Can you imagine the noise and finger pointing that would take place if a country like the UK were to return home from a major event empty handed???
Winning doesnt matter if you have a plan to eventually reach the top was where I was going. But then I am getting used to the committee of whiners on CE who think we have magical Nigerians somewhere that will arise and make everything well with a snip of the fingers. WE ARE ALL CULPABLE FOR THIS!! The earlier we get it the better.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Cristao II wrote:
Babafad wrote:
Cristao II wrote:I ask again what are we going to do to solve this mess. Continue pointing fingers and using us vs them. We are closer to them than you think.
By pointing fingers, he is in fact DOING something about it, unlike you who seems to be quite content with the status quo.
:lol: :lol: :lol: See this London based guy. Sorry big guy - I am in Nigeria and I do do things about it. I talk in church. I talk in fellowships. I talk about it in my company. I challenge those who say things like 'That is the way Nigerians are' & 'Nigeria is a useless country'. I pray about it. I educate people. What do you do except sit your asses in front of a computer and whinge whinge whinge about it!!

As I told him. Criticising is a useless form of doing stuff. If it is not followed by action - it is a waste of time.

Typical Nigerian solution " I pray about Nigeria problem" . Why not build business and employ people.
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Cristao II wrote:
realtrouble wrote:
Cristao II wrote:The problem with Nigeria is obvious with this thread. It is obvious some people's only contribution is to point and call Nigeria a disgrace. Well NEWSFLASH you are part of the problem. What are you doing to solve it?
There you go again with Nigerian are the problem.....please stop this charade.

There are people paid and employed to solve this mess, what is wrong with us calling them out, what is wrong with calling them a utter failure and disgrace. Are you proud of the people running Nigeria sport!

If the minister of sports and government officials believe that they required better professionals to run sports in Nigeria, why don't they do what other private organisation are doing and put government job adverts on the public domain. So that the best qualified people can get the opportunities to make a different.

We are not the problem , we contribute to Nigeria economy and are people of integrity and honesty and like every Nigerian we are disappointed in the Nigerian government continious failure to make a difference in the life of the average Nigerian .
I wonder who form the Nigerian government - isnt it the persons you are referring to as people of integrity and honesty. Integrity and Honesty doesnt automatically mean success in sports. You even use the terms utter failure and disgrace. Kpele. I ask again what are we going to do to solve this mess. Continue pointing fingers and using us vs them. We are closer to them than you think.

Integrity and honesty is the foundation of success, unlike you I don't depend on the supernatural or prayers to solve Nigeria problems.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

It befuddles on how anyone can think those criticising Nigeria do not take part in building it through business and employing people. In what way does this make a difference? Most critics satisfy this meaningless criteria which I suppose even pisses you off more when you ponder at the pitiable state of the country. The following article posted on SH gives a far better insight into why nigerians are ashamed and are at ease with pouring ridicule and scorn on their country. Govts in far better climes will be much deeply pained at this ridicule and scorn and will design programmes addressing this mood. I believe it was Kalu Idika Kalu who once stated that the growing cynicism of the nigerian populace if not addressed by govt will turn into self-hate which is in itself a significant destructive force.

http://saharareporters.com/article/why- ... mment-form
Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria
Posted: August 13, 2012 - 16:52
By Mohammed Dahiru Aminu

Yesterday someone asked me why Nigerians ridicule Nigeria insomuch that folks have decided to name the now good-for-nothing Nigerian Olympic athletes with such names as “rubber”, “wood” and “plastic” medalists; since they couldn’t win gold, silver or bronze.

The simple answer to that question is that for most Nigerians, Nigeria does not exist. Granted, the physical mien called Nigeria may be practically perceptible, the government that drives Nigeria is apparently anonymous and wanting.

Most Nigerians feel it is not binding upon them to “give back” to a country that they have not “taken” from. Many Nigerians feel they were born in a country that is completely putrid. For example, the paroxysm of angst that frustrates Nigerians due to electricity scarcity in the country has haunted our national psyche for years.

Many Nigerians never lived in a Nigeria that boast of round-the-clock electricity. Many Nigerians do not know how it feels like to travel in Nigeria with a minimum road traffic discomfort. Many Nigerians do not know how it feels like to live in a house un-caged; without (what Nigerians call) “burglar-proof” windows, thanks to the insecurity.

Young Nigerians do not know how it feels like to attend a university without university strikes. The examples are endless. But the point I seek to make is that too many a Nigerian have never lived the life of their dream; a life in absolute tranquility. Most Nigerians harbor a life that is spent in the constant fear of what it is like to live in an atmosphere of terror, not knowing who or what will strike next.

Quintessentially, young Nigerians have never felt the presence of a government; they usually owe their significant and trivial successes to the individual and collective sacrifices of family and friends.

But let us look at the other side of the coin: in a country like America and other serious nations, an individual starts to benefit from the government right from infancy: you’re given a free and compulsory good quality education, and you are constantly reminded that with hard work and perseverance, a better future awaits.

I have seen a sick, bedridden American whose last words on earth were that he was proud to be American. I do not know any up-and-doing (perhaps the opposite of bedridden?) Nigerian who maintains that he is proud to be Nigerian!

Because they are grateful to their country, many Americans willfully keep US flags and other statist symbols in their homes so that these icons can constantly remind them of what they owe their country: gratitude.

I have never in my life seen a Nigerian flag in the private residence of any Nigerian. According to the grapevine, Nigerians do not feel they owe anything to their country and/or government, no wonder they exhibit a persistent disconnect between them and the symbols of their country, Nigeria.

Until the Nigerian people start to feel the presence of a government in the delicate phases of their personal lives, they will not only stop at ridicule, they’ll always cling to narrow parochial interests before sovereign national interests.

In brusqueness, Nigerian leaders are known to always cast disparaging remarks on Nigerians, whom they claim, do not have faith in them. Who will tell them that faith is not entirely a self-colored affair? Who will tell them that the citizenry of Nigeria like other citizenries the world over can only be devoted to that which is devoted to their personal causes?

Does this explanation give any tip-off on why it takes two to tango?

Mohammed Dahiru Aminu writes from Yola, Nigeria. He can be reached at [email protected]
Babafad
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babafad »

Goldleaf wrote:I believe it was Kalu Idika Kalu who once stated that the growing cynicism of the nigerian populace if not addressed by govt will turn into self-hate which is in itself a significant destructive force.
My brother, hence my reference to a "war of attrition" being waged, in response to a comment made by DaMunk. :lol:

Those in authority can't keep ignoring the cries of the people. Just look at what the Occupy Movement achieved, earlier this year. 8-)
Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Heliopolis wrote:To me it is completely unbelievable that a nation of 150 million of some of the most genetically gifted people on earth could not even muster a single medal in the year 2012. It's a crying shame.
Shut your mouth, you fool. Compared with the other N. African countries, who win medals consistently in LD races, how many medals has Egypt brought home in all her years of Olympic competition :?: And this is a country that has been independent forever. It is unfortunate there are no medals for suicide bombing :taunt: :!:

Cheers
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:To me it is completely unbelievable that a nation of 150 million of some of the most genetically gifted people on earth could not even muster a single medal in the year 2012. It's a crying shame.
Shut your mouth, you fool. Compared with the other N. African countries, who win medals consistently in LD races, how many medals has Egypt brought home in all her years of Olympic competition :?: And this is a country that has been independent forever. It is unfortunate there are no medals for suicide bombing :taunt: :!:

Cheers
Typical ignorance comment from Tonythetigerkiller
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:lol: :lol:

Thread Title: NFMC

5 pages later, una still dey count.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

realtrouble wrote:

Cheers
Typical ignorance comment from Tonythetigerkiller
I think you meant ignorant, in which case, what exactly about my post is ignorant? Which part of my comment is untrue or invalid? OK, I get it. Anything to bolster your posts count :tic: :!:

Cheers
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Nigeria did not win her first olympic medal until 1988, I believe, and since then, we've only managed to win a total of 23 medals in 6 olympc games or so. You clowns who are moaning about our "dismal" performance at the 2012 games are being awfully unrealistic. Instead of bad-mouthing your country and athletes, why don't you engage your children in swimming, canoeing, tai-kwan-do and so on and so forth so that in the future, they might accomplish something that you have been incapable of accomplishing thus far; contribute positively to Nigeria's image and glory.

Having said that, Nigerians at large, in particular the NOC, can certainly do a lot better :!:

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mudi E
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mudi E »

Cheers
So Egypt not winning any medal in their olympic history is an excuse for us to consistently underperform and not win anything, even bronze in these games? :shock:
Nigeria shall wallop the dormitable lions
Cristao
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao »

realtrouble wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
Babafad wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: See this London based guy. Sorry big guy - I am in Nigeria and I do do things about it. I talk in church. I talk in fellowships. I talk about it in my company. I challenge those who say things like 'That is the way Nigerians are' & 'Nigeria is a useless country'. I pray about it. I educate people. What do you do except sit your asses in front of a computer and whinge whinge whinge about it!!

As I told him. Criticising is a useless form of doing stuff. If it is not followed by action - it is a waste of time.

Typical Nigerian solution " I pray about Nigeria problem" . Why not build business and employ people.
You definitely need help. I loan people money to start business and employ people. My wife and her family train and teach people. It is Internet wimps like you that annoy me. Yes in addition to my actions I pray. It is my belief and the foundation of my family. My name and integrity is based on the Christian code and you are a small minded being to make fun of it. I will always pray. It is the most important of all my Actions. And what are you doing. It is easy to point fingers and call Nigeria a disgrace on the web or by mouth.
Cristao
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Nigeria did not win her first olympic medal until 1988, I believe, and since then, we've only managed to win a total of 23 medals in 6 olympc games or so. You clowns who are moaning about our "dismal" performance at the 2012 games are being awfully unrealistic. Instead of bad-mouthing your country and athletes, why don't you engage your children in swimming, canoeing, tai-kwan-do and so on and so forth so that in the future, they might accomplish something that you have been incapable of accomplishing thus far; contribute positively to Nigeria's image and glory.

Having said that, Nigerians at large, in paticular the NOC, can certainly do a lot better :!:

Cheers.
KPOM. I wonder when they will realize doing the same things and expecting different results is insanity.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Nigeria did not win her first olympic medal until 1988, I believe, and since then, we've only managed to win a total of 23 medals in 6 olympc games or so. You clowns who are moaning about our "dismal" performance at the 2012 games are being awfully unrealistic. Instead of bad-mouthing your country and athletes, why don't you engage your children in swimming, canoeing, tai-kwan-do and so on and so forth so that in the future, they might accomplish something that you have been incapable of accomplishing thus far; contribute positively to Nigeria's image and glory.

Having said that, Nigerians at large, in paticular the NOC, can certainly do a lot better :!:

Cheers.
Nigeria's first medal was in 1964, then 72 then fast forward to 84, none in 88, then we have medals in 92 - 2008 inclusive and we all know what we did in 2012

Having said that, we don;t have an Olympic history that is as rich as people want to make out
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

akamoke wrote:

Cheers.
Nigeria's first medal was in 1964, then 72 then fast forward to 84, none in 88, then we have medals in 92 - 2008 inclusive and we all know what we did in 2012

Having said that, we don;t have an Olympic history that is as rich as people want to make out
Yes, I forgot about Nojim Maiyegun and our other hard-working boxers but the point remains valid. 23 medals, only 2 of which are gold, since 1972, is hardly anything to write home about. Some people are sounding as if we thoroughly under-performed compared to our past history but in reality, it was par for the course.

We can do a little better only if our athletes really dedicate themselves and our organizers become a little more professional :!:

Cheers.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Cristao II wrote:
Babafad wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Babafad wrote:
We have been pointing fingers and whinging for thirty years...or even more.
So are we now expecting a different outcome? :o
War of attrition in full effect. Those who have ears, let them hear.

Doing something is better than doing nothing. For someone to come out with stuff like - "winning doesn't matter, it's the taking part that counts" (Sir Cristao), that's where our problem really lies.

Comments like that remind me of what my mum says, these day. When ever I call home (Naija) and ask how are things and do you have electricity today. She tends to answer, "whatever the situation is, we are used to it"........and so their "suffering" continues.

Can you imagine the noise and finger pointing that would take place if a country like the UK were to return home from a major event empty handed???
Winning doesnt matter if you have a plan to eventually reach the top was where I was going. But then I am getting used to the committee of whiners on CE who think we have magical Nigerians somewhere that will arise and make everything well with a snip of the fingers. WE ARE ALL CULPABLE FOR THIS!! The earlier we get it the better.
Cristao

Who is "WE"? You need to start speaking for yourself, and for people you know.

Where you part of those that flew their girl friends to London for shopping instead of ensuring the athletes you serve were OK.

Where you part of those that spent 16 billion on electricity and nothing to show for it.

Where you part of the legislators that flew there wives abroad to discuss on how to be better wives to their husbands.

Did you steal launder 200 million dollars like Ibori and sent your own kids to pivate schools while children in your state dont even have a school to attend and this is just the tip of the iceberg we were told.

You are free to accept culpability for anything you want but I am not and when this people do not perform instead of people like you to be calling them out you provide them with excuses.

They were provided with billions and they confiremd that they have been provided with everything they need including the athletes. if they dont perform we have a right to question them 2 billion is a lot of money and there needs to be accountability. Not telling me that what am i doing, what am not doing is stealing from Nigerians
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Cheers.
Thats why our kids are doing well representing other countries and winning medals for them and some even switching nationality because their country of birth neglects and abandon them instead of people to continue to call out those that cause it they turn on those criticizing them
Oya back to the matter
open and close
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Prince wrote:Thats why our kids are doing well representing other countries and winning medals for them and some even switching nationality because their country of birth neglects and abandon them instead of people to continue to call out those that cause it they turn on those criticizing them
Those doing that are doing it on the wrong premise; somehow they think life as an athlete will be easier. I saw a story about an American female weight-lifter who struggled through her training to get to the olympics. She got a stipend of $400 a month from the USAF for training. Anyone who knows anything about money in the US knows that's chicken change. She still needed odd jobs to survive and keep body and soul together, In spite of that, she was proud to be her countiy's flag bearer. Meanwhile, you had our athletes quarelling over a $100 a day. That's the take home pay of the average mid-level manager in the US.

Nigeria is not the only country in the world that's under developed, facilities wise but athletes from the other counties remain loyal. The problem is we lack pride in ourselves. All too often, we fail to realize that Nigeria owes us nothing but we, her citizens, owe her everything. Only when we collectively come to this realization as a people, will things begin to change :!:

Cheers.
Babafad
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babafad »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Nigeria is not the only country in the world that's under developed, facilities wise but athletes from the other counties remain loyal.
Not only that........they also deliver. Just take a look at the Jamaicans! :)
Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional.