IOC: Jamaican sprinters should expect more drugs tests

Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

rock3t
Egg
Egg
IOC: Jamaican sprinters should expect more drugs tests

Post by rock3t »

LONDON (Reuters) - Jamaican athletes, who have dominated the sprint events at the London Olympics should now expect more visits by drugs testers, former anti-doping chief d#$% Pound said on Saturday.

Usain Bolt stormed to victory in both the 100 and 200 meters with Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce snatching gold in the women's 100 as the Caribbean island consolidated its domination of the blue riband events.

"No, they are one of the groups that are hard to test, it is (hard) to get in and find them and so forth," former World Anti-Doping Agency chief Pound told Reuters Television when asked whether he was happy with the way Jamaica tested its athletes.
"I think they can expect, with the extraordinary results that they have had, that they will be on everybody's radar," said Pound, an International Olympic Committee member.

Jamaica won a clean sweep in the men's 200 with Yohan Blake and Warren Weir winning silver and bronze behind Bolt.
Blake was also second to Bolt in the 100 and the duo also combined with Nesta Carter and Michael Frater to retain the 4x100 relay title in a world record time. It was Bolt's third gold for the second successive Games.
Veronica Campbell-Brown of Jamaica also claimed bronze in the women's 100m behind Fraser-Pryce.
Pound said the IOC was still a long way away from winning the fight against doping with 11 athletes being expelled from the Games since the start of the Olympic period on July 16.
"I think it is too soon to say. I think we are gaining and getting better at science," said Pound, WADA's first president.
"We are starting to get better at smart testing. But there is a long way to go yet. In Churchillian terms, it is not the beginning of the end, but the end of the beginning."

Victor Conte, convicted owner of the now-defunct BALCO laboratory that was at the centre of a global doping scandal, had said earlier this week that 60 percent of athletes at the Games were on drugs.
"He is probably more likely to know than we are. I hope it is not 60 per cent, but it is certainly a lot more than we are catching," Pound said.

"The drug testing that will be done here is first class. I would not expect many cases at the Olympics because if you test positive here you fail not a drugs test but an IQ test."
The IOC will run more than 5,000 tests at the Games that end on Sunday.
More than 100 athletes were also caught using banned substances in the months leading up to the Games following increased testing by national and international anti-doping agencies, designed to root out cheats before they arrived in London.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jamaican-s ... --spt.html
rock3t
Egg
Egg
Re: IOC: Jamaican sprinters should expect more drugs tests

Post by rock3t »

Even members of the International Olympic cometee are tired of this shamless nonsense the jamaicains are putting up. :lol:
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Do the drugs alone make you run faster? Its about muscle fatigue and endurance. One could drink a pint of juice on the rocks with a splash of tequila and rest assured, there would be no immediate gratification. Even if you juice, you still have to be the best or thereabouts, to be the best. Not justifying the chemistry of competition, but merely reminding all of the pharmaceutics,
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Coach wrote:Do the drugs alone make you run faster? Its about muscle fatigue and endurance. One could drink a pint of juice on the rocks with a splash of tequila and rest assured, there would be no immediate gratification. Even if you juice, you still have to be the best or thereabouts, to be the best. Not justifying the chemistry of competition, but merely reminding all of the pharmaceutics,
Correct. Chances are that without doping Bolt would still be one of the best. But it is not that simple. Doping makes it possibe for the athlete to train harder and recover faster from injury. It IS unfair advantage. Some forms of doping add that extra that is the difference between 10.1 and 9.58.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

rock3t wrote:LONDON (Reuters) - Jamaican athletes, who have dominated the sprint events at the London Olympics should now expect more visits by drugs testers, former anti-doping chief d#$% Pound said on Saturday.

Usain Bolt stormed to victory in both the 100 and 200 meters with Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce snatching gold in the women's 100 as the Caribbean island consolidated its domination of the blue riband events.

"No, they are one of the groups that are hard to test, it is (hard) to get in and find them and so forth," former World Anti-Doping Agency chief Pound told Reuters Television when asked whether he was happy with the way Jamaica tested its athletes.
"I think they can expect, with the extraordinary results that they have had, that they will be on everybody's radar," said Pound, an International Olympic Committee member.

Jamaica won a clean sweep in the men's 200 with Yohan Blake and Warren Weir winning silver and bronze behind Bolt.
Blake was also second to Bolt in the 100 and the duo also combined with Nesta Carter and Michael Frater to retain the 4x100 relay title in a world record time. It was Bolt's third gold for the second successive Games.
Veronica Campbell-Brown of Jamaica also claimed bronze in the women's 100m behind Fraser-Pryce.
Pound said the IOC was still a long way away from winning the fight against doping with 11 athletes being expelled from the Games since the start of the Olympic period on July 16.
"I think it is too soon to say. I think we are gaining and getting better at science," said Pound, WADA's first president.
"We are starting to get better at smart testing. But there is a long way to go yet. In Churchillian terms, it is not the beginning of the end, but the end of the beginning."

Victor Conte, convicted owner of the now-defunct BALCO laboratory that was at the centre of a global doping scandal, had said earlier this week that 60 percent of athletes at the Games were on drugs.
"He is probably more likely to know than we are. I hope it is not 60 per cent, but it is certainly a lot more than we are catching," Pound said.

"The drug testing that will be done here is first class. I would not expect many cases at the Olympics because if you test positive here you fail not a drugs test but an IQ test."
The IOC will run more than 5,000 tests at the Games that end on Sunday.
More than 100 athletes were also caught using banned substances in the months leading up to the Games following increased testing by national and international anti-doping agencies, designed to root out cheats before they arrived in London.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jamaican-s ... --spt.html
Heh heh heh! :) :) Olumpic honchos dey tell una wetin una no wan hear. First Rogge said Bolt is not a legend. :lol: :lol: Now big d#$% Pound is using stylee to suggest the unsuggestable. :D :D
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Hater!!
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Where is OK Jazz to tell us how frequently Jamos are tested?
http://www.naijiant.com/
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

HATERS CAN GO ....

Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

rock3t wrote:LONDON (Reuters) - Jamaican athletes, who have dominated the sprint events at the London Olympics should now expect more visits by drugs testers, former anti-doping chief d#$% Pound said on Saturday.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
on that small island, they are hard to find...and so forth?

is this sour grapes from USA or what?

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Tfco, d#$% Pound is Canadian.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

And all the rest. The African distance runners who seem to reside beyond the remit of lactic acidosis, the swimmers who need the shortest rest periods for maximal performance, the diminutive weight-lifters lifting thrice their body weight. What of the US women's sprint team who powered to the finish line in Klinefelters-like fashion? Or the German cyclist with thighs akin to Ronnie 'steroid head' Coleman? Why stop their, why not test the Masai maniacs marching towards a lion's kill armed with none but a cutlace and loin cloth, crystal meth comes to mind.
okjazz
Egg
Egg

Post by okjazz »

ohsee wrote:
Coach wrote:Do the drugs alone make you run faster? Its about muscle fatigue and endurance. One could drink a pint of juice on the rocks with a splash of tequila and rest assured, there would be no immediate gratification. Even if you juice, you still have to be the best or thereabouts, to be the best. Not justifying the chemistry of competition, but merely reminding all of the pharmaceutics,
Correct. Chances are that without doping Bolt would still be one of the best. But it is not that simple. Doping makes it possibe for the athlete to train harder and recover faster from injury. It IS unfair advantage. Some forms of doping add that extra that is the difference between 10.1 and 9.58.

Yet another baseless statement. There is no evidence that doping can make you run 100m 0.6 seconds faster in men. Evidence from the performance of athletes like Dwain Chambers suggests the change is in the range of 0.15 seconds to 0.25 seconds. For women its different because of the androgenic effects.
okjazz
Egg
Egg

Post by okjazz »

cic old boy wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Where is OK Jazz to tell us how frequently Jamos are tested?

I see that you like to spend all day mindlessly laughing at your own jokes.

This story is nothing new. When Jamaica dominated the 2008 Olympics, WADA and IAAF said they would increase dope testing in Jamaica. They did and still jamaica dominates. In 2016 when jamaica dominates, the same story will happen.
Last edited by okjazz on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

ohsee wrote: Heh heh heh! :) :) Olumpic honchos dey tell una wetin una no wan hear. First Rogge said Bolt is not a legend. :lol: :lol: Now big d#$% Pound is using stylee to suggest the unsuggestable. :D :D
Rogge don backpedal. Now calling Bolt "the greatest sprinter of all time".

RB.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: is this what we celebrate these days, nutmeg?
okjazz
Egg
Egg

Post by okjazz »

Seb Coe says he is satisfied with the out of competition testing in Jamaica
LONDON: London Olympics chief organiser Sebastian Coe said on Friday he was satisfied that double sprint champion Usain Bolt and his Jamaican teammates were being properly drug-tested outside of races.

Coe was dragged into the row that erupted after Bolt said following his 200m victory on Thursday he had lost all respect for Carl Lewis because the US sprint legend has doubted the toughness of Jamaica's drug-testing procedures.

"I haven't heard those remarks but my admiration for both Carl Lewis and Usain Bolt is undiminished," said Coe, who has admitted he wants to become president of the athletics world governing body IAAF in the next few years.

Coe said he had "no reason to believe" that Jamaican athletes were not being tested out of competition -- the sort of tests that are considered essential in the fight to detect systematic doping.

"I have no reason to believe that they are not testing out of competition. I think the IAAF... (in our) domestic and international testing arrangements have been very comfortable about how Jamaica and the Jamaican track and field federations are upholding those values and protocols," Coe said.

In his post-race press conference after becoming the first athlete in history to retain both Olympic sprint titles, Bolt said he had "no respect" for Lewis, who won nine Olympic golds spanning four Games in his career.

"The things he says about the track athletes is really downgrading for another athlete to be saying something like that about other athletes," the 25-year-old Jamaican said.

"I think he's just looking for attention really because nobody really talks about him," said Bolt.

Lewis made his comments about Bolt after the Jamaican achieved the 100m-200m double at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

"No one is accusing anyone," the American said. "I'm not saying they've done anything for certain... I don't know. But how dare anybody feel that there shouldn't be scrutiny, especially in our sport?"

The American visited the London Games, but said he was more interested in watching minor sports such as BMX racing than the athletics.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Okjazz

What's Sebastian Coe supposed to say? That the games are a failure and farce? They're doing what they can, but they're up against a sophisticated association of athletes, scientists, and commercial interests that loves the $$$ that winning brings.

As I said on the other thread, how come the NFL can't get rid of drugs? What makes you think that the Olympics are any more capable of this? Lastly, I can also cite officials inferring that cheating is going on, especially with Jamaica.

Time will tell, but I'm very suspicious.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
okjazz
Egg
Egg

Post by okjazz »

mate

I posted the Coe article because people kept posting words from Carl Lewis and saying "You see even Carl Lewis says Bolt is doping".......

I can also ask the same question: What Is Carl Lewis supposed to say ?

Carl Lewis actually thinks that American runners like Gatlin and Gay are clean whereas the Jamaicans are cheating.

But the most important question is : Does Carl Lewis have any evidence real or circumstantial ?

The answer is no. Like Everyone else he is speculating. Which is precisly my point.

If someone on this thread says " I suspect Bolt is doping".......I have no beef with that. Its those who insist they know the truth and look down on others for not subscribing to their beliefs that I have issue with.

Why Cant the NFL catch people many people on drugs ?
They dont have the will to do it. The Unions prevent the kind of comprehensive testing that IAAF does which includes blood tests and biological passport tests.
None of these are bulletproof but any serious testing from the NFL will catch a lot more people. Right now NFL testing is a joke.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Coach wrote:Or the German cyclist with thighs akin to Ronnie 'steroid head' Coleman? Why stop their, why not test the Masai maniacs marching towards a lion's kill armed with none but a cutlace and loin cloth, crystal meth comes to mind.
yeah I saw this German cyclist in the sprints.

that dude's thighs were HUGE. He still lost to a Trini brotha.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

okjazz wrote:
ohsee wrote:

Yet another baseless statement. There is no evidence that doping can make you run 100m 0.6 seconds faster in men. Evidence from the performance of athletes like Dwain Chambers suggests the change is in the range of 0.15 seconds to 0.25 seconds. For women its different because of the androgenic effects.
Are you suggesting that Pah Ohsee is arguing from ignorance? Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence :lol:
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

okjazz wrote: I see that you like to spend all day mindlessly laughing at your own jokes.

This story is nothing new. When Jamaica dominated the 2008 Olympics, WADA and IAAF said they would increase dope testing in Jamaica. They did and still jamaica dominates. In 2016 when jamaica dominates, the same story will happen.
The joke is on you! You know more than d#$% Pound about how frequently Jamos are tested.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

okjazz wrote:Seb Coe says he is satisfied with the out of competition testing in Jamaica
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: What does the head of Jamaican athletics think?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Why just the Jamiacans and why not the Americans as well? Just because they are a tenth of a second slower than the Jamos does not mean they are drug-free. This is just pure bad-belle :!: :!: :!:

Cheers.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:Why just the Jamiacans and why not the Americans as well? Just because they are a tenth of a second slower than the Jamos does not mean they are drug-free. This is just pure bad-belle :!: :!: :!:

Cheers.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT