Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Rio Olympics: Nigeria invites 27 basketball stars to cam

Post by truetalk »

Playing the French B team.

Same pattern. Good first quarter and then they scored only 9 points in the 2nd quarter.

HT Nigeria (2) NIG 38 29 9 - -
France A (1) 45 24 21
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

France (B) won

82 - 73
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

Apparently Victor Oladipo rejected his Nigeria callup as he was just named as a late addition to the USA select team which will scrimmage the USA team in Vegas. He accepted the USA select call-up and it seems he prefers to be a backup to Klay Thompson, James Harden, Demar Derozan and Bradley Beal whilst trying to fend off Rodney Hood, Marcus Smart, etc.

Good luck to him and we'll see if he will ever make it to an Olympics of FIBA Basketball World Cup. :boo:

--------------------------------------------
K
Egg
Egg

Post by K »

F360 wrote:Apparently Victor Oladipo rejected his Nigeria callup as he was just named as a late addition to the USA select team which will scrimmage the USA team in Vegas. He accepted the USA select call-up and it seems he prefers to be a backup to Klay Thompson, James Harden, Demar Derozan and Bradley Beal whilst trying to fend off Rodney Hood, Marcus Smart, etc.

Good luck to him and we'll see if he will ever make it to an Olympics of FIBA Basketball World Cup. :boo:
e and Jahlil are in the "Select" team, not the main team- just punching bags.
K
Egg
Egg

Post by K »

truetalk wrote:Tied at the half, but Argentina won 71-49.

We were outscored 38-16 in the 2nd half.

http://www.scorespro.com/basketball/

Hopefully, they played 'practice' players for the 2nd half. They invited a bunch of no-hopers to camp. We have 7 solid guys from Afrobasket. Invite as many as accept from Okafor, Oladipo, Sulaimon, Ezeli, Ochefu and you have a team.

The solid guys from Afrobasket are Diogu, Ala Aminu, Al Aminu, Lawal, Oguchi, Uzoh, and Gbinijie.

Okoye, Olasesewere and Ogide are just there and could be bench players if no better options.

Oyedeji at this stage is a joke and Umeh is not a national team calibre PG.
Agree with everything except for UMEH. He was player in China.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

K wrote:

Hopefully, they played 'practice' players for the 2nd half. They invited a bunch of no-hopers to camp. We have 7 solid guys from Afrobasket. Invite as many as accept from Okafor, Oladipo, Sulaimon, Ezeli, Ochefu and you have a team.

The solid guys from Afrobasket are Diogu, Ala Aminu, Al Aminu, Lawal, Oguchi, Uzoh, and Gbinijie.

Okoye, Olasesewere and Ogide are just there and could be bench players if no better options.

I respect and honor everyone that dons Nigeria's jersey & Umeh will probably make the Olymoic squad, but he does not deserve to and is not a National team level player. He will be making the team ahead of more deserving players. Thanks to Tbite I've seen a lot of the China tour games & other than a seeming improvement in his 3 point shooting, I don't see anything that suggests that Umeh should be anywhere near that team. Uzoh, Gbinijie, Oguchi & Sulaimon (not invited) are miles ahead of Umeh and sufficient to handle our backcourt.

Let us look back to Afrobasket for some analysis. Using the African standard, we played 4 mediocre teams (Central African Republic, Uganda, Mozambique, Gabon) and 3 good teams (Tunisia, Senegal, Angola). Note that the 3 good team are nowhere as good as the worst teams we will face in the Olympics. Let us look at Umeh's stats.

http://www.fiba.com/afrobasket/2015/Michael-UMEH

VS. AFRICAN MEDIOCRE TEAMS:
FG (13/27 or .48%); 3PT(4/12 or .25%); FT (13/16 or .81%); Assists (2.75 PG); Points (10.75 PG)

VS AFRICAN 'GOOD' TEAMS:
FG (3/20 or .15%); 3PT(0/10 or .00%); FT (4/7 or .57%); Assists (1.0 PG); Points (3.33 PG)

Umeh was playing in Italy Div. 2 & then moved to Israel. He is not a greater passer or shooter, so his value will be limited to bringing up the ball to the half court setting & depending on others to assist and score.

He will almost certainly make the squad, but does not deserve to. I think as things progress. He will see only limited action, if we select the best guys.
Last edited by truetalk on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
K
Egg
Egg

Post by K »

truetalk wrote:
K wrote:

I respect and honor everyone that dons Nigeria's jersey & Umeh will probably make the Olymoic squad, but he does not deserve to and is not a National team level player. He will be making the team ahead of more deserving players. Thanks to Tbite I've seen a lot of the China tour games & other than a seeming improvement in his 3 point shooting, I don't see anything that suggests that Umeh should be anywhere near that team. Uzoh, Gbinijie, Oguchi & Sulaimon (not invited) are miles ahead of Umeh and sufficient to handle our backcourt.

Let us look back to Afrobasket for some analysis. Using the African standard, we played 4 mediocre teams (Central African Republic, Uganda, Mozambique, Gabon) and 3 good teams (Tunisia, Senegal, Angola). Note that the 3 good team are nowhere as good as the worst teams we will face in the Olympics. Let us look at Umeh's stats.

http://www.fiba.com/afrobasket/2015/Michael-UMEH

VS. AFRICAN MEDIOCRE TEAMS:
FG (13/27 or .48%); 3PT(4/12 or .25%); FT (13/16 or .81%); Assists (2.75 PG); Points (10.75 PG)

VS AFRICAN 'GOOD' TEAMS:
FG (3/20 or .15%); 3PT(0/10 or .00%); FT (4/7 or .81%); Assists (1.0 PG); Points (3.33 PG)

Umeh was playing in Italy Div. 2 & then moved to Israel. He is not a greater passer or shooter, so his value will be limited to bringing up the ball to the half court setting & depending on others to assist and score.

He will almost certainly make the squad, but does not deserve to. I think as things progress. He will see only limited action, if we select the best guys.
Solid Analysis. I guess I was looking at his 3-pointers which can be useful when Oguchi is cold. He had quite a few clutch 3-pointers in China.

Meanwhile what's the news with Ezeli? It would be a shame if he snubs us again and then goes to NBA to harp about his Nigerianness.

I read somewhere that Sulaimon is in camp. Not sure though.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Sulaimon is with the Bulls Summer league team
oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

Ezeli is in camp but, according to report, his body language doesn’t seem he wants to go to Rio.
If not for Jesus, where will i be?
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

oyek wrote:Ezeli is in camp but, according to report, his body language doesn’t seem he wants to go to Rio.
To be honest, he is not needed. I have said it here that even if he makes it, he will be on the bench as Doigu and Lawal are the best players on the team (even ahead of Al-Farouq Aminu), so there is no way Ezeli is benching either of those players.

I also think Ochefu is already better than him. Player, please forgive me. Ochefu is dominant defensively and is far more polished offensively than Ezeli. Ezeli is fitter and more athletic though
Player
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Player »

Truetalk haba...you are comparing a College player to an NBA champ....If Ezeli is in the team, he'll bench Lawal...Ezeli struggled this season but in my opinion him along with Michael Eric and Jahlil are probably the best available centres we have. Ochefu will get his chance though.

I also agree with your analysis on Umeh, he does not bring anything to the team. I would look at younger guards like Ike Iroegbu to replace him
"The house Negro and the field Negro sat at dinner, when the field Negro turned his head, the house Negro put some poison in his food but the field Negro saw him do it and when the house Negro turned his head, the field Negro "turned the tray around."
K
Egg
Egg

Post by K »

Player wrote:Truetalk haba...you are comparing a College player to an NBA champ....If Ezeli is in the team, he'll bench Lawal...Ezeli struggled this season but in my opinion him along with Michael Eric and Jahlil are probably the best available centres we have. Ochefu will get his chance though.

I also agree with your analysis on Umeh, he does not bring anything to the team. I would look at younger guards like Ike Iroegbu to replace him
Why is Eric not in camp btw.

Meanwhile, it would be a CRIME if Oyedeji makes the team.
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

truetalk wrote:
oyek wrote:Ezeli is in camp but, according to report, his body language doesn’t seem he wants to go to Rio.
To be honest, he is not needed. I have said it here that even if he makes it, he will be on the bench as Doigu and Lawal are the best players on the team (even ahead of Al-Farouq Aminu), so there is no way Ezeli is benching either of those players.

I also think Ochefu is already better than him. Player, please forgive me. Ochefu is dominant defensively and is far more polished offensively than Ezeli. Ezeli is fitter and more athletic though
Player already responded well to the post but I have to add that you're crazy bros.

1. Diogu and Lawal might be the best players for the team when they play but in terms of actual ability, Al Farouq is the most talented player in what he brings/provides to any team, NBA or Nigeria's national team.

2. Ochefu's a good player but Ezeli has played well for the last couple of seasons against NBA COMPETITION. (He will probably be the 1st to admit he didn't have a good season this year but last season he was as solid as one would want a backup center to be. If he were a free agent after last season, he would probably be getting close to the same contract that Mozgov just signed with the Lakers). I'll be surprised if the Wizards give Ochefu much playing time next season (I can see him being in the D-League for the majority of the season) and if they do, I doubt he will get much of an opportunity offensively.
Ezeli got some opportunities last season on the offensive end, putbacks and post ups but the Warriors offense doesn't rely require much on the offensive end from Bogut/Ezeli. (Mainly needed for putbacks, rebounds and to help set tons of illegal screens on every offensive possession :sneaky: ) .
Anyway, let's not get crazy in putting down Ezeli's abilities for an undrafted college player (a good player no doubt) that will probably play in the D-League next season.

truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

F360 wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Player already responded well to the post but I have to add that you're crazy bros.

1. Diogu and Lawal might be the best players for the team when they play but in terms of actual ability, Al Farouq is the most talented player in what he brings/provides to any team, NBA or Nigeria's national team.

2. Ochefu's a good player but Ezeli has played well for the last couple of seasons against NBA COMPETITION. (He will probably be the 1st to admit he didn't have a good season this year but last season he was as solid as one would want a backup center to be. If he were a free agent after last season, he would probably be getting close to the same contract that Mozgov just signed with the Lakers). I'll be surprised if the Wizards give Ochefu much playing time next season (I can see him being in the D-League for the majority of the season) and if they do, I doubt he will get much of an opportunity offensively.
Ezeli got some opportunities last season on the offensive end, putbacks and post ups but the Warriors offense doesn't rely require much on the offensive end from Bogut/Ezeli. (Mainly needed for putbacks, rebounds and to help set tons of illegal screens on every offensive possession :sneaky: ) .
Anyway, let's not get crazy in putting down Ezeli's abilities for an undrafted college player (a good player no doubt) that will probably play in the D-League next season.
Oga, no need to get all emotional or abusive. You're the one who knows what your connection to Ezeli is & I don't care. He won't add much value to Nigeria's frontcourt & if he does not flake out on the team again, Diogu & Lawal will bench him.
I followed Ezeli at Vanderbilt & in the NBA. Ochefu, not so much before this season, but he is a better player than Ezeli, as at Today. I worry about Ochefu's fitness. It is one thing to be a big body around talented jumpshooters (as both Ochofu & Ezeli were for their teams), but Ochefu has polished offensive moves and was dominant (when not fatigued), even in the final 4, against mostly NBA 1st rounder talent like Brice Johnson. He is not invited, so it may be moot, & I'll accept Ezeli, if it means Oyedeji is finally left off the team, but Diogu, Lawal and possibly Alade Aminu will get more minutes than he does, if he is in the team.

BTW, you have no clue what & you may want to actually follow the game before typing gibberish here. The past season was Ezeli's best ever as a pro, but what does that matter to you?
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

truetalk wrote:
F360 wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Oga, no need to get all emotional or abusive. You're the one who knows what your connection to Ezeli is & I don't care. He won't add much value to Nigeria's frontcourt & if he does not flake out on the team again, Diogu & Lawal will bench him.
I followed Ezeli at Vanderbilt & in the NBA. Ochefu, not so much before this season, but he is a better player than Ezeli, as at Today. I worry about Ochefu's fitness. It is one thing to be a big body around talented jumpshooters (as both Ochofu & Ezeli were for their teams), but Ochefu has polished offensive moves and was dominant (when not fatigued), even in the final 4, against mostly NBA 1st rounder talent like Brice Johnson. He is not invited, so it may be moot, & I'll accept Ezeli, if it means Oyedeji is finally left off the team, but Diogu, Lawal and possibly Alade Aminu will get more minutes than he does, if he is in the team.

BTW, you have no clue what & you may want to actually follow the game before typing gibberish here. The past season was Ezeli's best ever as a pro, but what does that matter to you?

Huh? Bros are you okay? Where did I get emotional or abusive in my post? :???: :???: :???: I was actually having fun with my response and I don't know where you read any sort of abuse in my post but all good, carry on.

If stats are what you go by as the be all and end all then you sir may actually want to watch and follow the games more, but I'm sure you already do . The past season he had slightly better stats mainly because he received increased playing time, more minutes meant a better chance to increase his ppg, rpb, bpg, etc. He did all that but he was barely more effective and was less effective in some areas than he was in 2014-15. Despite receiving more minutes per game, his PER was about a point better than in 2014/15. I'll try not to continue this argument and bog the thread down with stats talk to break down why one should take his stats from last season with a grain of salt but I saw his games, he wasn't more effective this past season than in 2014/15 in terms of his impact on the court offensively and defensively for the team. Now a caveat might be that he got injured/had surgery in the middle of the season and when he came back is when he began struggling. Anyway this is getting past the original argument but hey, what does that matter to you? lol

Ochefu on the offensive end at Villanova is basically the same offensive skill set that Ezeli has in the NBA. It doesn't make him "far more polished" than Ezeli. He just improved offensively each season but the majority of his offensive game was still finishing at the rim. Same with Ezeli at Vandy and in the NBA.
I also believe Ochefu is the more athletic player. Festus' knee injuries have taken away some of his athleticism that he had coming out of college.

Regardless, Ochefu will be glad to know he has a believer in you and hey, keep believing that Ezeli will be benched for Lawal or Alade ( I have much respect for both Lawal and Alade) if he does stick with the team for Rio :dream: :rotf: and stay strong with your belief that Ochefu as of right now is a better player. We'll see how it plays out chief.
Last edited by F360 on Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

Anyone know if Gbinije is in camp yet?

Player
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Player »

Gbinije is in camp.

Eric has been invited to camp a few times but for some reason has not attended.
"The house Negro and the field Negro sat at dinner, when the field Negro turned his head, the house Negro put some poison in his food but the field Negro saw him do it and when the house Negro turned his head, the field Negro "turned the tray around."
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Player,

Who all is in Vegas now? I am shocked Sulaimon was not invited.
oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

oyek wrote:
:thumbs:
Player
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Player »

Team that played the last game

Diogu
Lawal
Uzoh
Umeh
Oguchi
Alade Aminu
Okoye
Gbinije
Akognon
Ere
Ibekwe

Others that have been in camp.. Al Farouq, Oyedeji, Sulaimon, Olasewere, Zanna and Nwaelele
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Player wrote:Team that played the last game

Diogu
Lawal
Uzoh
Umeh
Oguchi
Alade Aminu
Okoye
Gbinije
Akognon
Ere
Ibekwe

Others that have been in camp.. Al Farouq, Oyedeji, Sulaimon, Olasewere, Zanna and Nwaelele
Where is Ezeli?
I am happy