Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: D’TIGERS Tokyo 2021

Post by wanaj0 »

we lost 87-62!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

I know I shouldn't do this, and please feel free to yab me, but that is why we are fans, right. The calculators are out.

We need to beat Italy by double digits Y'all!!

http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/men ... mpic-games
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Germany get a boost against Australia.
We had no business losing to them.
https://us.yahoo.com/sports/tokyo-olymp ... 22597.html
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

truetalk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:12 am
King Futcha wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:13 pm
kalani JR wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:20 am So maybe I was right?
you were wrong, Naija is the friendly/exhibition gold medal winners.
You've suddenly found your voice.

The players are solid and in terms of what is available, we are 80%-90% there.

Sadly, the team has been let down by the bench. I am shocked, appalled and disappointed by the coaching failures. Totally unexpected. I assumed Mike Brown would use this as solid claim for an NBA Head coaching job. It has been a disaster.

2 straight 4th quarter collapses suggests a team that was completely outcoached. Mike Brown was suggesting Defensive intensity during the friendlies, but this team has had little defensive identity and is giving up 90 points per game. A Nigerian team made up of college players like Ekene Ibekwe of Maryland, at the time, beat Germany with Dirk at the World Cup, and they are losing badly to this German team with 8 NBA players? Too bad.

I thought Jahlil would be the 'go to' guy for the offense. He only played 11 minutes in the first game (2 of 2 shooting) and 13 minutes (3 of 4 shooting, 3/3 FTs) in the 2nd game.

So, the one guy who has proven to be unstoppable (as I said he would) with an 83% FG % and 100% FT % is only averaging 12 minutes. I complained about the high number of 3's against Australia, and the team actually topped it up by attempting more 3's than 2's against Germany. This suggests the coach is not looking at the half-court, pick & roll and other traditional set plays, and is looking to 'hero ball' to win. Well this is not Golden State and we don't have Steph and Klay.

We've been clearly outrebounded in both games, despite our Athleticism. This was not the case, even in the games we lost in the last FIBA World Cup.

I was not happy with the coaching change (I said it on this thread), but I did not expect this at all.

The team has a young core, but the administration needs to have a group of 25 or so players signed to a rolling 2 year national team commitment. It will help the team develop an identity, and also let a larger quality pool commit to the Qualifiers and Afrobasket as well

Too bad this opportunity seems to have slipped away before it even started (unless we beat Italy by double digits, though we may need help from the Aussies(Here I go calculating again)). Hopefully, they are not too discouraged, and a proper administrative structure to help build the team and grow the game emerges.
found my voice? looks like im the only one still here, all the giddy bunch after the friendly victory have now lost their voice.

I've said all along, alongside with my brother junior and anyone that knows basketball knew that una would do nada in Japan, i am not here to gloat about what was obvious.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

upon all the mouth we make for beating the USA, look at how we're flaming out.
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

King Futcha wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:01 pm
truetalk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:12 am
King Futcha wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:13 pm
kalani JR wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:20 am So maybe I was right?
you were wrong, Naija is the friendly/exhibition gold medal winners.
You've suddenly found your voice.

The players are solid and in terms of what is available, we are 80%-90% there.

Sadly, the team has been let down by the bench. I am shocked, appalled and disappointed by the coaching failures. Totally unexpected. I assumed Mike Brown would use this as solid claim for an NBA Head coaching job. It has been a disaster.

2 straight 4th quarter collapses suggests a team that was completely outcoached. Mike Brown was suggesting Defensive intensity during the friendlies, but this team has had little defensive identity and is giving up 90 points per game. A Nigerian team made up of college players like Ekene Ibekwe of Maryland, at the time, beat Germany with Dirk at the World Cup, and they are losing badly to this German team with 8 NBA players? Too bad.

I thought Jahlil would be the 'go to' guy for the offense. He only played 11 minutes in the first game (2 of 2 shooting) and 13 minutes (3 of 4 shooting, 3/3 FTs) in the 2nd game.

So, the one guy who has proven to be unstoppable (as I said he would) with an 83% FG % and 100% FT % is only averaging 12 minutes. I complained about the high number of 3's against Australia, and the team actually topped it up by attempting more 3's than 2's against Germany. This suggests the coach is not looking at the half-court, pick & roll and other traditional set plays, and is looking to 'hero ball' to win. Well this is not Golden State and we don't have Steph and Klay.

We've been clearly outrebounded in both games, despite our Athleticism. This was not the case, even in the games we lost in the last FIBA World Cup.

I was not happy with the coaching change (I said it on this thread), but I did not expect this at all.

The team has a young core, but the administration needs to have a group of 25 or so players signed to a rolling 2 year national team commitment. It will help the team develop an identity, and also let a larger quality pool commit to the Qualifiers and Afrobasket as well

Too bad this opportunity seems to have slipped away before it even started (unless we beat Italy by double digits, though we may need help from the Aussies(Here I go calculating again)). Hopefully, they are not too discouraged, and a proper administrative structure to help build the team and grow the game emerges.
found my voice? looks like im the only one still here, all the giddy bunch after the friendly victory have now lost their voice.

I've said all along, alongside with my brother junior and anyone that knows basketball knew that una would do nada in Japan, i am not here to gloat about what was obvious.
Yeah we just didn't find this worth debating at the time, this would have been a good team in 2004 or 2000 but not 2021.
davidbam14
Egg
Egg

Post by davidbam14 »

Just finished watching the Naija Vs Italia game and it's another 4th Q collapse. Is this bad coaching or mental breakdown by our boys?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

davidbam14 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:34 am Just finished watching the Naija Vs Italia game and it's another 4th Q collapse. Is this bad coaching or mental breakdown by our boys?
Maybe all the above but these teams were always expected to win.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

kalani JR wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:15 am
davidbam14 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:34 am Just finished watching the Naija Vs Italia game and it's another 4th Q collapse. Is this bad coaching or mental breakdown by our boys?
Not an expert BUT I think it is more of the players. Maybe inexperience.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

We have no reason losing to Germany and Italy!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

wanaj0 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:45 am
We have no reason losing to Germany and Italy!
I'm a big Mo Wagner fan lol, but Italy is a very good team. Our team isn't as impressive as some have made it out to be.
davidbam14
Egg
Egg

Post by davidbam14 »

I agree our team isn't as impressive. I think the USA win was good but beating Argentina the so called 4th best team in the world gave us false hope. Argentina Basketball is on the way down. I do believe if Victor Olapido was on this team, we beat both Germany and Italy.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

The experts on WhatsApp said we beat the US in a friendly game because we stopped using quota to select players. There was no "Aminu" there, so no quota, no problems. But they went silent after the games proper....
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

I've never seen a team so mentally weak.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

:clap: Thanks to our lads, Coach Mike and his staff for donating their summer to us.
NBBF too tried somewhat, and thanks too to the Golden State Warriors for their support.
Advocating rational thought since 1987
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:49 pm
The experts on WhatsApp said we beat the US in a friendly game because we stopped using quota to select players. There was no "Aminu" there, so no quota, no problems. But they went silent after the games proper....
:lol:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Lolly wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:11 pm
:lol:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Those teams had actual experience playing together, we picked a bunch of guys who were conceived under the F1 Visa and told them told them to make it work.
Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

kalani JR wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:46 pm

Those teams had actual experience playing together, we picked a bunch of guys who were conceived under the F1 Visa and told them told them to make it work.
That's the summary.

No disrespect to the players, but NBBF needs to invest in Nigerian basketball and not import Americans of Nigerian descent at the last minute. Nigeria always expects a lot from nothing.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Donzman wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:26 pm

That's the summary.

No disrespect to the players, but NBBF needs to invest in Nigerian basketball and not import Americans of Nigerian descent at the last minute. Nigeria always expects a lot from nothing.
Good luck trying to sell them common sense, most will look at you like you're insane. Nigeria can be whatever it wants to be but it always takes the shortcut to everything.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

That's the summary.

I agree about NBBF investing in Nigeria Basketball and they are trying to do that. It is evident in the progress we've made over the years.

Afrobasket is starting soon. We will evaluate our performance there.

It was an underwhelming performance BUT I salute the sacrifice and commitment of everyone involved. We need to build on the experience.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

wanaj0 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:20 pm

That's the summary.

I agree about NBBF investing in Nigeria Basketball and they are trying to do that. It is evident in the progress we've made over the years.

Afrobasket is starting soon. We will evaluate our performance there.

It was an underwhelming performance BUT I salute the sacrifice and commitment of everyone involved. We need to build on the experience.
Those NBA guys aren't playing AfroBasket.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

French basketball women went toe-to-toe with the US women until the ending minute.